NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-06-2019, 10:08 AM
Mike Reid

Get it out of that screw down holder ASAP.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:14 AM
Tom S@lem

Interested in discussing this collection.

Tom Salem
774-573-1731

Www.opcbaseball.com
www.OPeeCheeInternational.com
Old 06-06-2019, 10:16 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 View Post
I would recommend pausing on that. Any damage that has been done by being in that holder has already been done. The OP is not familiar with cards and just pulling that holder apart could ruin the card.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers

Last edited by x2drich2000; 06-06-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:00 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Just wanted to expand on my last post for the original poster on why I would not rush to take it out of the screw down until you decide what you are going to do. Screw downs have 2 major issues going against them regarding protecting cards. 1. When left in them for years, cards tend to stick to the plastic and when removing them, the plastic can literally pull the surface of the card right off. As a result, a beautiful card can be easily turned into shredded cardboard. There are some tricks you can try to get them unstuck (freezing and/or heating), but nothing is guaranteed. 2. Screw downs that do not have a recessed area (like the one the Aaron is in) can flatten the corners of the card over time. The more the screws were tightened, the more likely this is to happen. The grading companies sometimes consider this an alteration and won't give the card a numeric grade as a result.

With that in mind, are there any other cards in the collection worth a lot less in the same style screw down? If so, you may want to see how one of them comes out first before attempting with the Aaron. That should give you an idea of how stuck the cards are. Also, if you are already getting offers as is in the range of a 4-5 (which is where I think it would be if real), you may be better off selling it even at a slight discount rather than running the risk of ruining it taking it out of the case or it grading as just authentic due to the corners.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 06-06-2019, 05:41 PM
K@t Alex@nder

I'm going to say what everyone else is thinking - something is up with this post. User just registered this month and is already asking for senior advice.

There's something happening here...what it is ain't exactly clear.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:49 AM
Steve M

In honorable consideration of those who have and will take the time to comment and provide legitimate information, I will address this one time only. I have zero interest in convincing anyone of anything, or of taking time to placate your or anyone else's paranoia. My name and phone number are on record with the administrators who run this website. I recommend you take your concerns to them.

I registered with this website yesterday and I made my first post the very same day. I did this because I am in a bad position and need accurate information on a subject I know virtually nothing about, because I know enough not to just walk into a card shop in Charlotte and expect to get anything positive from the experience, and because my actions will potentially have a financial impact on people that trust me. After the business of this one post is concluded, it is almost a certainty that I will never post or be active again in these forums - because I have zero personal interest in this subject matter.

To those who have or will comment and provide information, I am terribly grateful. To the small-minded simpletons who fear my post, I again suggest taking your concerns to the administration because I will not respond or address any other such comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateighty View Post
I'm going to say what everyone else is thinking - something is up with this post. User just registered this month and is already asking for senior advice.

There's something happening here...what it is ain't exactly clear.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

You did well to come here and not go to a local card shop. Your best course, it seems to me, is to consult with a reputable dealer such as Greg Morris.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:36 AM
Rob

Was the goal here ever stated? Do they want money quickly or do they want as much money as possible? Selling to a dealer will be quick, but definitely won't maximize your take.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:46 PM
K@t Alex@nder

I was simply stating that it seemed a bit odd Steve. You stated that you have "zero personal interest" in this subject matter and that it's "almost a certainty" that you will never post or be active again on this board after this. So it's ok then for you to take personal jabs and call me paranoid and a "small minded simpleton" because oh hey you're only going to be here for a week? It just so happens I'm a lawyer and author (amongst other things) who actually has recommendations and information that might be helpful to you. But sure it's totally ok for you to slam me as a person because you won't be back here next week. Best of luck with the cards Steve.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:48 PM
Barry Sloate

Steve,
Since you are not a collector and don't have any expertise, you might do best to consign the collection to a reputable auction, of which there are many. The auction house will know which key cards need to be graded, and which cards will fit logically into group lots.

And it sounds like the family needs some immediate money upfront. That shouldn't be a problem, as virtually every auction house can provide you with a cash advance as soon as they have the cards. An advance could be in the area of 25-50% of the appraised value, but that of course needs to be negotiated.

I don't think you should try to sell it yourself, because without any knowledge of how to proceed you will make too many mistakes.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:05 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 View Post
Agreed....PSA will more than likely only grade it authentic only....I hope the damage has not already been done.

Tags
aaron, card, rookie, topps