NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-01-2020, 08:43 AM
Scott S

Default PSA changes: suspended Economy service / "sold out" memberships

I just checked the PSA website to see if there were any new quarterly specials posted, and saw a couple of big changes:

The Economy service ($20 submissions up to $500, 40 day turnaround) are suspended - they are not accepting any submissions under this tier for now.

New memberships (which come with the 6 or 15 submissions under the Economy service) also are sold out.

Similar to SGC, it seems like your options are either to send your cards on the bulk $10 deals and you'll see them in a year, or send them in under the Express service or higher, at $75 or more per submission.

Will this actually help them get caught up from the massive backlog - who knows. But it's getting harder and harder to make a submission and actually get it back, only to get pounded on the grades these days!
Old 10-01-2020, 08:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I suspect the new grading company, CSG, will take some of the pent up demand. No doubt i will be submitting to them as I, most likely, won't submit any cards currently due to all 3 of the main TPGs ongoing issues.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:51 AM
Justin

I believe they have a $50 "regular" submission price also.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2020, 08:59 AM
Robert Williams

I have just noticed all the changes....the BULK sub deals are now gone. There is no benefit for submitting over 100 cards now. The days of cheap grading I am afraid are gone, and PSA is looking to capitalize on the increased demand for their services.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:30 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I suspect the new grading company, CSG, will take some of the pent up demand. No doubt i will be submitting to them as I, most likely, won't submit any cards currently due to all 3 of the main TPGs ongoing issues.
Same exact sentiment here... eager to give the new guys a try. I just hope they minimize the Flips (from what was shown initially).
Old 10-01-2020, 10:14 AM
Scott S

For anyone who didn't see the full email but would like to, here it is.....
======================
Hello PSA Customers,

2020 has been an unprecedented year in so many ways. And amidst all the challenges the world is experiencing, the hobby we all love is thriving unlike any other time in history. We stand here at PSA on October 1, 2020 with operational improvements that have nearly doubled our capacity since January. In this same time period, the volume of submissions to PSA has more than doubled. Said differently, despite doubling capacity, turnaround times are growing.

We are continuing to expand capacity through aggressive hiring, Lean Manufacturing principles, and investments in automation efficiencies. We’ve built a new Customer Communication Center on our website to keep you informed on our growth and capacity expansion efforts.

But simply put, all our efforts and investments will not grow our capacity fast enough in the short term.

We must look at other areas, like pricing and service levels, to better align the demand for PSA services with our capacity to deliver those services.

With that in mind, we are announcing several new policies and procedures, all aimed at delivering a better experience to our customers. Here’s what changing:

Collectors Club vouchers are currently sold out. With massive growth in Gold and Platinum Collectors Club memberships, we have oversold our anticipated supply of vouchers. Therefore, we are temporarily suspending the issuance of any new vouchers. There is no restriction on the usage of existing unused vouchers.
The Economy service level is the most impacted of our services. To best serve the customers who are currently waiting for their Economy orders to be processed, we are temporarily suspending the acceptance of new trading card and dual service Economy submissions. We will continue to monitor progress on Economy orders with an intention to resume this service level soon.
PSA Value Service is changing in the following ways:
Minimum order size has been lowered to 20 cards for all categories;
Prices has been updated to $15 for Ultra-Modern (2017 – present), $12 for Modern (1972 – 2016) and $10 for Vintage (Pre-1972) and TCG;
Later this quarter, estimated Turnaround Times will be retired in favor of Complete-Through Dates.
Checks and money orders require additional steps in order processing. As a result, PSA will only accept credit card payments for orders placed through our Online Submission Center.
PSA is introducing a ‘PSA Dealer’ directory for group submissions (www.PSAcard.com/Dealers/Groupsubmissions). These dealers have signed a formal code of conduct agreement with PSA and are approved to manage and submit group submissions. We will be working directly with these dealers to ensure our shared customers are in good hands. We strongly encourage collectors to utilize Dealers found within this directory for group submissions.
Later this quarter, PSA will begin to publicly post "Complete-Through Dates" for every major service level. Customers will be able to see day-to-day progress as we advance through the backlog.

A lot of updates, with the best interest of our customers at the center of it all. These changes create three paths for PSA customers to take:

If a predictable turnaround time is most important, submit at the Regular service level or higher and you will get the cards back within the shortest possible time period. And once we roll out Complete-Through Dates later this quarter, you’ll be able to follow the progress to see how many days are left until your order is at the front of the line.
If cost is most important, submit using Value service. We’ve lowered the minimum number of cards in a Value order to make our lowest price points more accessible. We also will be phasing out any estimates of turnaround time for Value orders. Instead, later this quarter we will begin to share Complete-Through dates so you can see true data on the progress with Value orders. Although the turnaround time is longer, you will have greater visibility into the process and progress than ever before.
Our PSA Dealer directory offers a third path. Through the efficiencies of aggregating orders, professional hobby dealers may be able to offer you lower rates for the named service levels. Since your items will be sent to a dealer, your door-to-door time may be longer than using a named service directly with PSA, but likely with less effort on your part, and at a lower cost. PSA dealers are available throughout the United States and in Canada.

The hobby is stronger than ever and demand for grading services has never been higher. We appreciate the trust collectors have placed in PSA and we are working hard to usher in continued advancements to get your cards back faster.

Enjoy collecting,

Steve Sloan
President
Old 10-01-2020, 01:41 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

PSA wants you to submit through a 3rd party/bulk submitter. Simple as that.

I’ll continue doing as such and sending in my higher end direct. No huge change here for me.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:56 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
PSA wants you to submit through a 3rd party/bulk submitter. Simple as that.

I’ll continue doing as such and sending in my higher end direct. No huge change here for me.
They did away with any bulk submission benefit.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:00 PM
Richard L.

Robert W.,
Does this indicate no more group subs that you were kind enough to undertake for years? Does one have to be an “authorized “ PSA dealer to do group subs for the time being? Much appreciation to your hard work in the past. Maybe in the future?
Old 10-01-2020, 03:08 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaddict View Post
Robert W.,
Does this indicate no more group subs that you were kind enough to undertake for years? Does one have to be an “authorized “ PSA dealer to do group subs for the time being? Much appreciation to your hard work in the past. Maybe in the future?
No...they still have them....they aren't as cheap as they were in the past.....it is $10 per card now.....Before we were paying $8. $2 per card don't sound like a lot, but if you sub say 50 cards, it is an extra $100. For a 500 card order, it is an extra $1,000 in PSA's coffers.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 10-01-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:23 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

PSA is quite literally giving you the finger. And oddly enough, the cards pictured in the middle are in holders for a 1914 Cracker Jack Shoeless Joe and a T206 Ty Cobb: strange.

Never get cheated! ;-)
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:35 PM
Steve N0.0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post

. And oddly enough, the cards pictured in the middle are in holders for a 1914 Cracker Jack Shoeless Joe and a T206 Ty Cobb: strange.

Good eyes!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2020, 04:46 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooner10 View Post
Good eyes!!
Someone pointed it out on blowout first. Figured it was worth sharing here.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:55 PM
Bruce Mattioli

That's an odd picture. Not getting my money no longer. Don't what to hear some yada yada yada from some dopey President of a Company..
Old 10-01-2020, 05:22 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

PSA is doing what they can to keep their higher margin mouse trap. New grading companies might make a niche with lower grade cards but they will need volume. Not great for the startups unless they build significantly in capacity upfront.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 10-01-2020, 08:59 PM

That figures...right after I decided "what the hell, I'll give it a try" and bought 35 sets and a few wax boxes with the intent on getting a bunch of stuff graded.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:00 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Is there an ETA on when CSG will open their doors? If they get the flip right and have decent turn times they should be able to take some Market share.

Get that flip design wrong though and people won't submit.

Last edited by Casey2296; 10-01-2020 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:05 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

They will test that price elasticity of demand as much as they can
Old 10-02-2020, 05:41 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:
If you want to try a group submission, I would be in.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:14 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

PSA is quite literally giving you the finger. And oddly enough, the cards pictured in the middle are in holders for a 1914 Cracker Jack Shoeless Joe and a T206 Ty Cobb: strange.

Never get cheated! ;-)
Well, they did as well on those as they have on other stuff Must be the new graders just going by what's on the submission list...
Old 10-02-2020, 09:43 AM
Dave

Quote:

Never get cheated! ;-)

How super weird. I just went to their website to double check whether that was some fake photoshop that was making the rounds..............but there it was, plastered right on their website.

Who's in charge of their graphic design.........and why the hell did they make the conscious decision to show 2 modern cards with completely unrelated vintage card flips?
Old 10-02-2020, 10:13 AM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
How super weird. I just went to their website to double check whether that was some fake photoshop that was making the rounds..............but there it was, plastered right on their website.

Who's in charge of their graphic design.........and why the hell did they make the conscious decision to show 2 modern cards with completely unrelated vintage card flips?
I would guess they took the pictures with the vintage cards and someone then decided they want to push/advertise modern so they photoshopped in the modern cards not paying attention to the actual holders.

Still kind of hilarious.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2020, 10:58 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

The middle finger is equally absurd. No one naturally holds two cards like that.

Last edited by conor912; 10-02-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:03 AM
Derek Granger

classic! The big ol' F-U to us all plastered there for all to see!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 10-02-2020, 11:21 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
classic! The big ol' F-U to us all plastered there for all to see!
No, he is just letting the PSA collectors know they are #1.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:34 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default New grading company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Is there an ETA on when CSG will open their doors? If they get the flip right and have decent turn times they should be able to take some Market share.

Get that flip design wrong though and people won't submit.
I am going to be a Debbie Downer. The parent company of CSG seems to have many of the same problems with comic book grading that the card grading companies are having. Hopefully, CSG will be able to do things right, but I'm not holding my breath.

https://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/cgc-comics.html

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:39 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
The middle finger is equally absurd. No one naturally holds two cards like that.
Actually they do or at least Brady Hill does.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/y...nvestment.html
Old 10-02-2020, 02:15 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Actually they do or at least Brady Hill does.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/y...nvestment.html

LOL, that's the same picture. WTF!

Old 10-02-2020, 02:35 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Well, he owns the slabs...
Old 10-02-2020, 02:56 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
LOL, that's the same picture. WTF!

Yes it is but all the fun is over now. PSA removed that graphic and has a new pic in its place.

https://www.psacard.com/dealers/groupsubmissions
Old 10-02-2020, 03:00 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

You can still find it at archive.org ...
Old 10-02-2020, 03:10 PM
Chase

Quote:
You can still find it at archive.org ...
It is already archived above but neither are the same as their hosting it on their site. Not much attention to detail over there, it would appear.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:28 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Billy Martin in 1972?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-02-2020, 05:02 PM
Luke Lyon

To be fair, how many times have you held up two graded cards for a cameraman to take your picture? For me it's zero, so I have no idea what my natural finger placement would be.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:10 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Pointer finger in front of both cards with thumb pinching them seems like it would be standard play.

Sorry for derailing your thread, Bobby... ;-)
Old 10-03-2020, 01:19 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Billy Martin in 1972?
I wish I could have figured out a way to use the Old Judge photo but you should recognize this photo of Mr. Radbourn. Since this is a basically a pre-war board, let's use the photo of a pre-war player giving us all the finger.

1975 Fleer Cloth Patches - Laughlin Pioneers of Baseball #5 - Charles Radbourn [Good*to*VG‑EX]
Courtesy of COMC.com