NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-26-2018, 03:04 PM
Dan Mabey

Default POST & JELL-O Open Letter from Dan Mabey

This message may seem strange to my hobby friends, but I am compelled to address some misconceptions about the monographs I've prepared on the Post cereal baseball card sets and promotions. I want to highlight three issues.

First, please remember that the books were simply an outgrowth of the fun, challenge, and mysteries of assembling sets that I began in 1982. To be sure, I was the beneficiary of experiences shared by hobby pioneers as I attended baseball card shows in Buena Park and other Southern California venues. However, the majority of text relating to card scarcity and product distribution were based on my own analysis. While I tried to be honest in differentiating fact from speculation, many of you can attest to the fact that our understanding of baseball cards largely consisted of personal experiences, word-of-mouth and a couple of periodicals (like The Trader Speaks, Baseball Hobby News, and the early Sports Collectors Digest). So, the first take-away is that my and other hobbyist written accounts of the Post and JELL-O baseball card promotions were generated at a specific point in time, and well before the proliferation and maturity of the internet and social media.

This leads to my second point, which pertains to the reliability of the information in my books. The easiest way to address this issue is by asking the question: "Are you more knowledgeable about sports collectibles today than you were 25 years ago?" I suspect your answer is yes, largely based on personal experiences and sharing information with like-minded hobbyists. Extending this to my books, collectors -- especially Post and JELL-O enthusiasts -- have discovered errors, variations, and promotion aberrations that my books did not address. This is a GOOD thing! From my perspective, my books were simply a baseline or departure point. I never asserted or implied my books were inviolate, but a structured investigation of things I would have loved to know when I stumbled upon the rubber-banded stack of blank back wonders at Jim's Baseball Card Shop in Pomona circa 1980. So, don't hesitate to point out errors in the books or worry about hurting my feelings. Heck, I haven't been active in the mainstream hobby for over 15 years. If we haven't learned anything new about the Post and JELL-O sets over the past two decades, we're doing something wrong. This leads to my ("thank goodness!" ) final point, which is ...

Third, I do not provide personal counsel or quote prices to private collectors, dealers, Americana journalists, or sports collectible corporate entities engaged in resale, speculation, exploitation, or arbitrage pursuits. I am NOT an expert on the Post and JELL-O sets -- there is NO SUCH THING! And I certainly do not purport to be an authority on the sets or promotions. I mention this because, much to my chagrin, some collector friends have encountered instances where a dealer or corporate entity (engaged in a Post or JELL-O sale) said they spoke to Dan Mabey and he said "blah, blah, blah!" Stated bluntly, It is a bold-faced lie. It is one thing to reference my books, but it is quite another to state or imply I have provided recent personal counsel. My best advice to those encountering such hucksters is to simply walk away. Peace, and KEEPMEPOSTED! Warm Regards, Dan Mabey.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:28 PM
Ken Marks

Default Thanks For All You Have Done

Dan. Speaking for myself, but suspect a ton of others have the same thoughts, I am so very grateful for all the efforts you have made to provide tremendous insight into the various Post Cereal and Jell-O promotions. My understanding and enjoyment in collecting these issues has been so very much enhanced by your various books that I could never thank you enough for all you have done. You are truly the Godfather of Post Cereal/Jell-O collecting.

And just one more point if I might. You have always been open about looking for information that updates your thoughts, some of which go back over 20 years. And when on the very minimal number of times that updated information is found, you totally embrace it. Given the maybe 4 or 5 times this has happened in those 20 plus years, it speaks totally to the amazing accuracy of your research efforts and books, especially given the much more limited availability of tools and electronic technology available to you (eg SCD back then vs. eBay today). I thank you my friend!
Old 10-29-2018, 01:33 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmarks View Post
Dan. Speaking for myself, but suspect a ton of others have the same thoughts, I am so very grateful for all the efforts you have made to provide tremendous insight into the various Post Cereal and Jell-O promotions. My understanding and enjoyment in collecting these issues has been so very much enhanced by your various books that I could never thank you enough for all you have done. You are truly the Godfather of Post Cereal/Jell-O collecting.

And just one more point if I might. You have always been open about looking for information that updates your thoughts, some of which go back over 20 years. And when on the very minimal number of times that updated information is found, you totally embrace it. Given the maybe 4 or 5 times this has happened in those 20 plus years, it speaks totally to the amazing accuracy of your research efforts and books, especially given the much more limited availability of tools and electronic technology available to you (eg SCD back then vs. eBay today). I thank you my friend!
AMEN!!!

Fred
Old 10-29-2018, 10:49 AM
Mike Dugan

Dan from all I have read, your monographs are wonderful. I ordered Ken's book on the football issues and it is wonderful!

I grew up in the era of the cards and they were big in my life though my old blunt-nosed scissors from grade school did a terrible job on the cards!

Dan are your issues still available for sale? If not please consider reprinting them, I would love them.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There are a lot of post (no pun intended) war collectors that collect pre-war too. This is such a great original post more collectors should see it so it was moved from the Post War section to the front page. Happy collecting!!

Last edited by Leon; 10-29-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:20 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Dan's Books

Dan's books have been my go to source for building my master Post Cereal sets. I have met some great Post and Jello collectors because of the books. Through our communications I have upgraded my books by hand writing the changes in them. It makes the books that much more special. (I have written the 63 Jello boxes that the 63 Post players are on next to the descriptions of the cards) Now with Ken's 62 Football Book and Robin Pauls website we have the ultimate guides to the set. Fellow collectors have found more information on the 60 back panels and the 61 numbers stamped on some cards. My notebook with all the information that has been gathered now exceeds 30 pages. It has just been a great experience in collecting my favorite cards.