NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-01-2009, 10:29 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Default Customs Problem

I did a trade with a friend in the UK at the start of October. He mailed a card to me, international postal registered mail. Using the registered mail tracking number I have verified that the card arrived in U.S. customs at Kennedy Airport in NYC on October 14 (per the USPS web site). However, it has yet to be delivered. I have tried contacting the postal authorities over here and they say that they can't track the package till it leaves customs. I have tried contacting customs but they have provided no information. Are there any suggestions as to what I might do to find out the package's status?
Old 11-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Peter Wilk

Living in Canada, I deal with cards being stuck at customs (mainly going into USA, sometimes coming this way) all the time. I would not worry about it at all. I have had cards stuck in customs for up to 6 weeks - there is no rhyme or reason to it. If you do not have your card(s) by early December, then you can worry about it - I am sure you will have the card(s) soon.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default never had good luck

Hey Jay
I know you are asking for help and I can't really provide any. Just thought I would chime in and say I have had mucho issues the same way you are. It always sucks and I have never been able to track, check or speed up anything internationally. It's like a black hole....Two weeks is a short amount of time in my experiences.......Sorry I can't help any but as the previous poster said....you probably have a good 30 days before I would be too concerned. regards
Old 11-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilk17 View Post
Living in Canada, I deal with cards being stuck at customs (mainly going into USA, sometimes coming this way) all the time. I would not worry about it at all. I have had cards stuck in customs for up to 6 weeks - there is no rhyme or reason to it. If you do not have your card(s) by early December, then you can worry about it - I am sure you will have the card(s) soon.

I second this. I have been waiting on some Hockey cards since 10/13. I buy a lot of Hockey from our friends up north and I have learned to be very patient. Sometimes it is only a few days and other times, several weeks.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:45 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Thanks guys. The reason I am posting is because I have probably had about 15 UK shipments in the past and none took more than two weeks to arrive. Maybe I was just lucky.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default come to think of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Thanks guys. The reason I am posting is because I have probably had about 15 UK shipments in the past and none took more than two weeks to arrive. Maybe I was just lucky.
Come to think of it my issues have been from the postal system from our neighbors directly to the north (Canada)...I don't remember issues with UK shipments and have had a few ...
Old 11-01-2009, 01:13 PM

You call that an international customs problem?

Benny Hill (one phone): "I'm calling to apologize for my behavior at your house last night, Herr. I'm guess I'm not accustomed to the strong German beer you served me. I must say, though, that you and your wife have a beautiful home. I in particular was impressed the gold toilet in your bathroom. What? You don't have a gold toilet in your bathroom? But you have do a gold Victrola in the bedroom?"

Last edited by drc; 11-01-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Peter Wilk

I receive items from the USA very quickly (coming through Canada Customs easily). When I ship items from Canada to USA (going though USA customs) - I have sometimes had huge delays and very unhappy American friends awaiting my items. US customs can and do hold up shipments quite often for no reason. That being said, you should have your items soon.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Peter Wilk

Whether your items are coming from Canada, U.K., Russia etc., - To enter the USA they go through US Customs. The delay is US Customs, not the country they are coming from!
Old 11-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Jimmy

Don't want to hijack the thread, but wanted to ask others about shipping charges from Canada.

I've been asked to pay $15 Can$ to ship two cards.

This is the message I received from the seller:

Quote:
Canada post USA letter is $15.58 and is insured up to $60.To this I add $1 for packaging-trust this is ok
Any opinions?

-Jimmy
Old 11-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19cbb View Post
Don't want to hijack the thread, but wanted to ask others about shipping charges from Canada.

This is the message I received from the seller:

Any opinions?

-Jimmy
Canada Post is quite expensive and their rates have caused me some issues with Ebay buyer and in fact with Ebay itself recently.

I mainly sell jerseys and not light packaged items such as cards, and I ask for a $15 US flat fee to cover US buyers (shipped from my home in Vancouver, BC) "Expedited" postage fees. With the fluctuating exchange rate of the day, this typically gets me within a dollar of the actual cost, but most often it is short and I eat the difference.

Why don't I charge more...because many of my US customers are used to paying less than half of that rate to have similar items shipped across the nation. If i charge more, I lose customers who assume that I am taking advantage. In fact, Ebay sent me emails suggesting that I consider lowering my rates to remain competitive, yet I am actually losing money with my rates. If I revert to non-expeditied service the packages are sent via 'Ground' service and take far too long to arrive (considering Customs delays etc.) for most buyers to handle. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Back to your question...I don't know of any Canada Post service option that offers any less than a minimum of $100 CAD insurance included for the price, but as I deal in small packages mostly, i could be wrong.

Here is a link to the canadapost.ca site's info page for determining "Xpresspost" rates to the US. You can plug the weight, size etc using metric measurements) and your senders postal code and your zip, and see if a fair rate was quoted.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/busi...tusa.jsf#Rates

chris

Last edited by baseball tourist; 11-01-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19cbb View Post

-Jimmy
I think that is high. I have an 8 card auction win coming to me right now and I paid $10 postage (Ebay). $10-$12 is the most I have paid and I even had some programs and larger Beehive photo's included on some of my orders.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Max Weder

The postal rates for packages from Canada to the US can be found at http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/ap...execution=e3s1

Max
Old 11-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Archive

From my experiences mailing internationally, packages seem to jump the pond faster than traveling through the woodline.

I've always wondered why that is. Just like it costs almost as much to send a card to Pennsylvania (I live in Ohio) as it does to send one to Japan.

Jantz
Old 11-02-2009, 12:44 AM

I've shipped 8x10 photos to England and was surprised at how fast it took. It was like shipping to Boston.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:38 AM
Peter Wilk

Default Shipping costs from Canada

I mail cards from Canada to USA regularly. I charge a max of $2.50 for an unlimited amount of cards. You can mail up to around 20 cards in card savers and up to 12 in top loaders taped between two sheets of cardboard and in a bubble mailer to the USA for $2-$3. The package needs to stay fairly thin to fit in the letter mail category, therefore you can stack about 5 cards in card savers taped between cardboard and be fine and 3 in top loaders. This is regular mail and there is no insurance. I always mark the package on the envelope printed matter which is true and does not require US customs clearance. I have sent and rec'd thousands of items between Canada and USA by regular mail including hundreds of cards valued at $400 to $2000 by regular mail with zero problems. It is quicker than any item that has to enter customs and extremely reliable. If you absolutely have to have insurance, it can be quite expensive. If anyone ships the cards in a box etc. (like a box used to hold a set of cards), the price will jump into the $7 to $12 category depending on the size of the box used. This will include $100 insurance and I think additonal insurance is around $1-$2 per $100 of value added.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Jimmy

Many thanks for all the info.