NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #251  
Old 12-15-2023, 05:13 PM
sthoemke sthoemke is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 366
Default

Picked up a 1970 Mario Andretti postcard (thrift store find)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m1.JPG (132.6 KB, 124 views)
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 12-16-2023, 05:48 PM
Bored5000's Avatar
Bored5000 Bored5000 is offline
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fleetwood, Pa.
Posts: 1,260
Default

Wow, what a timely podcast for Kzoo on this board. I usually listen to the "NASCARD Radio" podcast, which is a podcast about racing collecting. Well, this week's episode had a collector by the name of Justin Channels on the show. Channels detailed his quest to buy a 1972 STP Richard Petty card and to get it autographed.

Channels purchased the card in early October, then called up the Petty Museum that very day to ask about getting the card signed. Channels found out that Petty is at the museum nearly every Wednesday and decided to travel to the Museum from California shortly before Thanksgiving to get the card signed in person rather than sending it through the mail.

Petty initially pulled out his white paint pen to sign the card, Channels quickly asked Petty if he would use the Sharpie Channels brought instead. Petty said sure and he even inscribed a "200" below his signature, which was something employees at the museum said he usually does not do. Channels said that Petty could not have been any nicer or more receptive about signing the card.

From the podcast, it really sounds like if Kzoo has any way to make it to the museum in person, that would be the way to go.

The story about Channels traveling to the Petty Museum to get his 1972 STP Petty card signed in person starts shortly after the 10 minute mark of the podcast.

https://nascardradio.podbean.com/e/e...d-by-the-king/
__________________
Flawless BST transactions with Wondo, Marslife, arcadekrazy, Moonlight Graham, Arazi4442, wrestlingcardking and Justus.

Last edited by Bored5000; 12-17-2023 at 03:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 12-17-2023, 09:02 AM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 12,975
Default

Hey, Matt, if you go for it, can I send you a Petty card I don't want to mail in for signing?
__________________
Read my blog; it will make all your dreams come true.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-17-2023 at 09:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 12-27-2023, 01:38 AM
Bored5000's Avatar
Bored5000 Bored5000 is offline
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fleetwood, Pa.
Posts: 1,260
Default

I finally got my most recent pick up scanned. The 1974 Panini Niki Lauda went crazy price-wise during Covid. The sticker has come back down to more reasonable levels, and I was able to add one to my collection.

I know the sticker does have flaws. The left side is wonky. In addition, the scanner really picks up the spot on Lauda's forehead. To the naked eye, the spot is not so prominent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1974 Panini Niki Lauda front12272023.jpg (196.3 KB, 96 views)
__________________
Flawless BST transactions with Wondo, Marslife, arcadekrazy, Moonlight Graham, Arazi4442, wrestlingcardking and Justus.

Last edited by Bored5000; 12-27-2023 at 01:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 12-27-2023, 10:35 AM
D. Bergin's Avatar
D. Bergin D. Bergin is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 6,029
Default

Nice pickup.

I just got around to seeing the "Ford vs. Ferrari" movie (which probably should have been titled "Shelby vs. Ford" instead).

I thought it was a cracker of a movie despite it's many inherent flaws/cliches, and the obvious artistic license which is taken with movies such as these.

I had not been familiar with Ken Miles before seeing this movie, so it sent me down the rabbit hole of this very interesting character.

It was odd seeing all the bigger name characters on the FordGT team I was more familiar with, completely backgrounded as actual characters, along with the entire Ferrari team.

It was a long movie already, so probably a good choice to concentrate on the personal dynamic between Carrol Shelby and Ken Miles that kept you emotionally invested in the storyline. Would love to see an expanded series about the Ford vs. Ferrari endurance race rivalry of the late 60's, similar to what HBO did with the 80's Lakers/Celtics rivalry in "Winning Time".
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 12-27-2023, 08:35 PM
Kzoo's Avatar
Kzoo Kzoo is offline
Matt
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Wow, what a timely podcast for Kzoo on this board. I usually listen to the "NASCARD Radio" podcast, which is a podcast about racing collecting. Well, this week's episode had a collector by the name of Justin Channels on the show. Channels detailed his quest to buy a 1972 STP Richard Petty card and to get it autographed.

Channels purchased the card in early October, then called up the Petty Museum that very day to ask about getting the card signed. Channels found out that Petty is at the museum nearly every Wednesday and decided to travel to the Museum from California shortly before Thanksgiving to get the card signed in person rather than sending it through the mail.

Petty initially pulled out his white paint pen to sign the card, Channels quickly asked Petty if he would use the Sharpie Channels brought instead. Petty said sure and he even inscribed a "200" below his signature, which was something employees at the museum said he usually does not do. Channels said that Petty could not have been any nicer or more receptive about signing the card.

From the podcast, it really sounds like if Kzoo has any way to make it to the museum in person, that would be the way to go.

The story about Channels traveling to the Petty Museum to get his 1972 STP Petty card signed in person starts shortly after the 10 minute mark of the podcast.

https://nascardradio.podbean.com/e/e...d-by-the-king/
Hey Eddie......Thanks for posting this story! It was a great listen with some interesting information. I hadn't checked this thread since just before you posted it, so that's why I was delayed in responding. I'm going to have to get a plan together to get mine signed. I watch his Facebook feed for upcoming appearances and he seems to be on the road a fair amount. An appearance somewhere between NC and Michigan would be great! Adam, I'll keep you in mind if it works out.

Last edited by Kzoo; 12-27-2023 at 08:36 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 12-27-2023, 08:52 PM
Bored5000's Avatar
Bored5000 Bored5000 is offline
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fleetwood, Pa.
Posts: 1,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
Hey Eddie......Thanks for posting this story! It was a great listen with some interesting information. I hadn't checked this thread since just before you posted it, so that's why I was delayed in responding. I'm going to have to get a plan together to get mine signed. I watch his Facebook feed for upcoming appearances and he seems to be on the road a fair amount. An appearance somewhere between NC and Michigan would be great! Adam, I'll keep you in mind if it works out.
Glad you liked the episode. As soon as I saw the topic of that week's podcast, I thought of your post on here.
__________________
Flawless BST transactions with Wondo, Marslife, arcadekrazy, Moonlight Graham, Arazi4442, wrestlingcardking and Justus.
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 12-27-2023, 10:10 PM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 12,975
Default

Thanks; I appreciate it.

I am working on my postcard checklists and if anyone has any PCs with the small numbers on the backs that are not on my checklist above, please post the name and number. I hope to get as complete as possible with the numbered cards and then work on the unnumbered issues.
__________________
Read my blog; it will make all your dreams come true.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-27-2023 at 10:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 01-01-2024, 06:00 PM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 12,975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Some PC checklist updates.

Here are the known 1962s with serial #s from the card backs:

Year Publisher Number Name
1962 Racing Pictorial 38087F Roberts, Fireball
1962 Racing Pictorial 38088F Lorenzen, Fred
1962 Racing Pictorial 38089F Petty, Lee and Richard
1962 Racing Pictorial 38090F Jarrett, Ned
1962 Racing Pictorial 38091F White, Rex
1962 Racing Pictorial 38093F Weatherly, Joe

As you can see #38092F is missing.
38092F is Buck and Buddy Baker
__________________
Read my blog; it will make all your dreams come true.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 01-06-2024, 09:07 PM
Bored5000's Avatar
Bored5000 Bored5000 is offline
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fleetwood, Pa.
Posts: 1,260
Default

The NASCARD Radio Podcast hosts are doing a neat poll right now in which they have a list of 40 listener submitted cards in a vote to select the top 10 racing cards of all-time. They are primarily a NASCAR podcast, and the list is very heavily skewed toward NASCAR, IMO, they are missing at least 5-6 major Formula 1 cards that should be on any ballot of greatest racing cards. But working with the 40 choices given, I have bolded my top 10 choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hCEWiscu4k


1911 T36 Barney Oldfield
1961 Marhoefer Meats A.J. Foyt
1969 Panini Mario Andretti
1972 STP Bobby Allison
1972 STP Fred Lorenzen
1972 STP Fred Lorenzen with car
1972 STP Richard Petty
1979 Avalon Hill A.J. Foyt
1982 Kidco Dale Earnhardt
1983 Uno Dale Earnhardt
1983 Uno Darrell Waltrip
1983 Uno Richard Petty
1986 Sportstar Photo-Graphics Dale Earnhardt
1987 World of Outlaws Jeff Gordon
1988 Maxx Cover Card
1988 Maxx Dale Earnhardt #99
1988 Maxx Richard Petty
1989 Maxx Dale Earnhardt
1991 IROC Dale Earnhardt
1991 Pro Set John Force
1991 Traks Jeff Gordon
1992 Grid Michael Schumacher
1992 Traks Autograph Jeff Gordon
1992 Traks Richard Petty/Dale Earnhardt Autograph
1993 Texaco Davey Alllison Autograph card
1994 Wheels High Gear Dale Earnhardt Jr.
1994 Wheels Day 1 Gold Dale Earnhardt Jr.
1996 Pinnacle 7 Wonders 7 Diamond Dale Earnhardt
1996 Press Pass Burning Rubber Dale Earnhardt
1996 Press Pass Sheet Metal Dale Earnhardt
1996 Upper Deck Dale Earnhardt
1998 Press Pass Signings Dale Earnhardt Jr.
1999 SP Authentic Dale Earnhardt Jr. Auto
2000 SP Authentic Jimmie Johnson #39
2000 SP Authentic Sign of the Times Dale Earnhardt
2000 SP Authentic Upper Deck Racing Jimmie Johnson #38
2002 Choice Rising Stars Kyle Busch
2011 Wheel Elements Chase Elliott
2020 Topps Chrome Lewis Hamilton #1
2020 Topps Chrome Max Verstappen #6
__________________
Flawless BST transactions with Wondo, Marslife, arcadekrazy, Moonlight Graham, Arazi4442, wrestlingcardking and Justus.

Last edited by Bored5000; 01-07-2024 at 01:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #261  
Old 01-12-2024, 01:30 AM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 12,975
Default

I sent these off TTM some time ago and basically forgot about it until they came back today:



The two are 1976 (real auto is in the middle) and 1981 promo pieces from Penske and Allison himself, respectively.
__________________
Read my blog; it will make all your dreams come true.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-28-2024 at 12:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 02-10-2024, 10:40 AM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 12,975
Default

Mario Andretti:



1968 Opel Kadette promo PC. Love the football theme, though it does look like the chimp is trying to lay a brick on the roof of the car:

__________________
Read my blog; it will make all your dreams come true.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 02-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 12,975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
The NASCARD Radio Podcast hosts are doing a neat poll right now in which they have a list of 40 listener submitted cards in a vote to select the top 10 racing cards of all-time. They are primarily a NASCAR podcast, and the list is very heavily skewed toward NASCAR, IMO, they are missing at least 5-6 major Formula 1 cards that should be on any ballot of greatest racing cards. But working with the 40 choices given, I have bolded my top 10 choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hCEWiscu4k


1911 T36 Barney Oldfield
1961 Marhoefer Meats A.J. Foyt
1969 Panini Mario Andretti
1972 STP Bobby Allison
1972 STP Fred Lorenzen
1972 STP Fred Lorenzen with car
1972 STP Richard Petty
1979 Avalon Hill A.J. Foyt
1982 Kidco Dale Earnhardt
1983 Uno Dale Earnhardt
1983 Uno Darrell Waltrip
1983 Uno Richard Petty
1986 Sportstar Photo-Graphics Dale Earnhardt
1987 World of Outlaws Jeff Gordon
1988 Maxx Cover Card
1988 Maxx Dale Earnhardt #99
1988 Maxx Richard Petty
1989 Maxx Dale Earnhardt
1991 IROC Dale Earnhardt
1991 Pro Set John Force
1991 Traks Jeff Gordon
1992 Grid Michael Schumacher
1992 Traks Autograph Jeff Gordon
1992 Traks Richard Petty/Dale Earnhardt Autograph
1993 Texaco Davey Alllison Autograph card
1994 Wheels High Gear Dale Earnhardt Jr.
1994 Wheels Day 1 Gold Dale Earnhardt Jr.
1996 Pinnacle 7 Wonders 7 Diamond Dale Earnhardt
1996 Press Pass Burning Rubber Dale Earnhardt
1996 Press Pass Sheet Metal Dale Earnhardt
1996 Upper Deck Dale Earnhardt
1998 Press Pass Signings Dale Earnhardt Jr.
1999 SP Authentic Dale Earnhardt Jr. Auto
2000 SP Authentic Jimmie Johnson #39
2000 SP Authentic Sign of the Times Dale Earnhardt
2000 SP Authentic Upper Deck Racing Jimmie Johnson #38
2002 Choice Rising Stars Kyle Busch
2011 Wheel Elements Chase Elliott
2020 Topps Chrome Lewis Hamilton #1
2020 Topps Chrome Max Verstappen #6
This a really interesting list for what is missing. There are so many of the NASCAR guys with much earlier postcards than these 'rookie' cards. I get it, there is a debate about postcards being 'cards' but for my collection I cannot pay up for a RC that is issued years after a promo card or a PC. I just picked up 1979, 1980, and 1981 Earnhardt PCs for example.
__________________
Read my blog; it will make all your dreams come true.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 02-28-2024, 01:06 PM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 12,975
Default

A few recent adds:

2021 Topps Now:



2023 Panini Chronicles:



This one is the case hit:



This shiny stuff is challenging to scan.

Target makes some nice trade cards: thick, well designed.


__________________
Read my blog; it will make all your dreams come true.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-28-2024 at 01:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auto Racing autograph question Klrdds Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 1 02-09-2022 07:47 PM
Vintage Auto Racing Autographs indy500autographs Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 0 12-28-2015 06:01 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 PM.


ebay GSB