NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-26-2020, 01:07 AM
Nick Pascal

Default A reintroduction and a question about cards glued to scrapbook pages

Hi all! Just wanted to reintroduce myself and then get some advice about removing cards stuck to pesky scrapbook paper...

Anyways, hey guys, I'm Nick. Early 30's from Memphis. I've been a member here for a minute (mainly just lurking), but haven't been around hardly at all in the past year or so. But I was looking through some of my (small) collection the other day, and thought about how much I missed all the vintage love and knowledge on this board, so I've decided it's about time I start stopping by more often and becoming more active.

As far as collecting goes, my main focus is pre-war cards of guys playing for Memphis teams, as well as T206 portraits. I also have soft spots for 1948 Leaf, 1953 Bowman color, 1950's Redman series, and a few other oddballs here and there. Which bring me to my next point.....

I was recently gifted about 50 1948 Leaf cards from my grandpa (no SPs, but all the big non-SP names) that he found glued on some old scrapbook paper from when he was younger. Considering I already have about 15 commons and love that set, I was thrilled. But now I need help in figuring out the best way to separate them from the paper they are glued on to. There are thankfully a good number of commons on there so some trial and error will not be the end of the world.

So what tips do y'all have for separating cards glued on to thick scrapbook paper? I was planning on soaking one as a test, but does anyone have any tips or tricks that they swear by? Or things not to do?

Anyhow, thanks for listening to my spiel. Glad to be back and can't wait to engage more with the community. Hope everybody is managing alright in this crazy year and has been able to find at least a little bit of peace amidst the chaos.

(And yes, pics to come.)
Old 10-26-2020, 03:01 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I don't have much to offer on the subject, but I know the first thing to determine is whether or not the glue is water soluble. That's what always comes up in these situations. IIRC, very old glue may have the characteristics making it easier to remove, while 'newer' glues are simply a no-go.

Good luck!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:07 PM
Nick Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I don't have much to offer on the subject, but I know the first thing to determine is whether or not the glue is water soluble. That's what always comes up in these situations. IIRC, very old glue may have the characteristics making it easier to remove, while 'newer' glues are simply a no-go.

Good luck!!
Thanks! Tested out a few commons tonight using varying amounts of water and a credit card to gently ease the paper off the back. Worked decently well with only minimal paper loss. Would still like to perfect it more before having a go at the big boys.

Thinking of trying a heat gun/hair dryer to sort of melt the glue and hopefully be able to get a credit card or something in between the scrapbook page and the back of the card with even less paper loss. Have any of y’all tried something like that?
Old 10-26-2020, 10:17 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I've used an iron (with a dish towel between) to take the mailing labels off of Sports Illustrated magazines. Don't know if that would work with the cards and albums, but I'd give it a try.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 10-26-2020, 10:33 PM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

No experience here, so don't take any of my advice or listen to me.

It sounds like you're having some success which is good. I know I've read on here before that people will often soak overnight or maybe even a few days. Sure you will want to monitor them often though. I would probably lean more towards that than trying to pry anything as that sounds problematic. I wonder if it's an option and you have enough space to cut or tear the pages and just soak the card with page segment.

Either way, keep us posted and let's see them! I'm sure someone with lots of experience will chime in with sound advice.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:57 PM
Nick Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I've used an iron (with a dish towel between) to take the mailing labels off of Sports Illustrated magazines. Don't know if that would work with the cards and albums, but I'd give it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeboo View Post
No experience here, so don't take any of my advice or listen to me.

It sounds like you're having some success which is good. I know I've read on here before that people will often soak overnight or maybe even a few days. Sure you will want to monitor them often though. I would probably lean more towards that than trying to pry anything as that sounds problematic. I wonder if it's an option and you have enough space to cut or tear the pages and just soak the card with page segment.

Either way, keep us posted and let's see them! I'm sure someone with lots of experience will chime in with sound advice.
An iron sounds like it could be interesting! I'd figure it would work the same end goal as your situation, which is loosening the adhesive.

And I've got them all cut into individual pieces. It was basically just 4 loose album/scrapbook pages, with 12 cards glued on to each one. I'll take one of the commons and give it a soak while I sleep tonight and see how that comes out.

Thanks for the ideas both of y'all! And pictures coming tomorrow for sure
Old 10-27-2020, 02:36 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

1) It's not just the glue that matters, but the cardstock.
2) Don't need to soak it overnight, that seems like way overkill.
3) You should only be using distilled water since tap water has stuff like fluoride in it that could alter the cards.
4) You'll need to have printer paper and telephone books around once the cards are soaked off in order to dry the cards properly.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:06 PM
P.aul Orl,in

I recently removed a loosely glued 53 parkhurst card from an album. I used a hair dryer to heat up the card and it came loose with only modest paper loss on the back.

trying to upload the image but having problems.

Last edited by puckpaul; 10-27-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:12 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Soak it in hot water. Move it around with your hand a little. Do NOT try to peel the paper off of it. When it's ready the paper will slide off. Frank
Old 10-27-2020, 03:21 PM

Don't use hot water, especially if its on black or colored scrapbook pages, the color on the pages will often run.

Warm water is hot enough. Try one of the worst condition or cheapest ones by itself. Let it soak for 15-20 minutes, no longer needed. If it's not coming loose by then, it's not going to. As others stated do not try to scrap any paper off, see if you can get an edge of the scrapbook paper to come loose(it may have well floated off, best case scenario) if it's going to come off the paper will peel right off. I suggest running some water over the back just in case there is glue residue. Again do not rub the wet back.

Then blot they card dry with paper towels or tissue, place between copy paper in a book that will soak up excess moisture, I use old phone books, and place some more books on top. Check it 20-30 minutes later and move it to another area of the book as there will be moisture in the immediate pages from the first insertion. Move it one two more times, should be dry and flat within a few hours.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:26 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Don't use hot water, especially if its on black or colored scrapbook pages, the color on the pages will often run.

Warm water is hot enough. Try one of the worst condition or cheapest ones by itself. Let it soak for 15-20 minutes, no longer needed. If it's not coming loose by then, it's not going to. As others stated do not try to scrap any paper off, see if you can get an edge of the scrapbook paper to come loose(it may have well floated off, best case scenario) if it's going to come off the paper will peel right off. I suggest running some water over the back just in case there is glue residue. Again do not rub the wet back.

Then blot they card dry with paper towels or tissue, place between copy paper in a book that will soak up excess moisture, I use old phone books, and place some more books on top. Check it 20-30 minutes later and move it to another area of the book as there will be moisture in the immediate pages from the first insertion. Move it one two more times, should be dry and flat within a few hours.
That is good info there. If I may add a tad bit more...
Lay a paper towel down on a very flat (formica or whatever) surface, place wet card atop it, then cover it with another paper towel, now place a flat book or two (phonebooks, tomes, etc.) on top of that. Next, start adding weight on top of the books - two liter bottles of soda, or a relatively large can full of coins (which gets pretty heavy quickly) work easily enough - and that'll squeeze the moisture out. Deconstruct the setup and replace the paper towels with new, dry ones a couple of times (and pile everything up again) and as has been said, it'll dry up.

Edited to add: and don't rush the drying process. Let it dry over days, if necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 10-27-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:26 PM
Jim

I'd suggest not rushing it - they have been glued for over half a century, no need to settle for partial paper loss quite yet. I've used a good thorough soak with warm distilled water to get through the scrapbook paper and loosen the glue. Paper should slide right off. An overnight soak would be way too long. I've had success with 10 to 20 min bath then removing all glue residue by using a razor blade to carefully scrape the residue off (almost like a mini cabinet scraper). IMO, getting the glue off w/o removing card stock is not the real tough part. Getting the card to dry properly w/o curling can be difficult. It just depends on the glue used and stock of the card. I've had great success w 1941 bowman's (great paper that dries well) and then terrible results w the same process on '52 topps stock. Keep tweekn your process on those commons & best of luck.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg park1.jpg (78.4 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg park2.jpg (62.3 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg park3.jpg (80.2 KB, 391 views)
Old 10-28-2020, 08:42 AM

By this era, probably good old Elmer's white glue. Very difficult to remove....
Old 10-28-2020, 10:43 AM
Nick Pascal

Hey guys....Thanks for all the good advice. For the second batch that I did last night, I used warm water with a soak of about 20 minutes. Results were much better than the first batch! I was able to peel off around the edges, and then what was left in the center came off quite easily just by sliding an old credit card underneath it.

The drying process is another problem I ran into with the first batch. I patted them dry multiple times, and then put them between paper towels and stacked a handful of old REA catalogs on top. I changed the paper towels a few times, but I ended up letting them sit too long, and the remaining glue residue got tacky again and caused some issues when I tried to remove them from the towels. Second batch I made sure not to let sit too long on the towels, and just laid them out bare overnight to prevent that same issue. We'll see how it goes. And here are some pics finally...

First off, the big boppers from the set. They were originally attached 12 to a page, but I cut them into separate cards to make it easier to handle.

And here is a comparison of the first try (top row) vs the second try (bottom row). Obviously a large improvement in preventing paper loss. There was also some warping on the first batch, which is strange to me because they dried completely flat. Just something I'll have to keep an eye on.

I'm a little nervous to try out the big ones, but pretty confident I can do it with minimal paper loss. I'll be sure to keep y'all updated. And thanks for all the tips and well wishes!
Old 10-28-2020, 10:56 AM

2nd pair looks good. I think the rest will turn out fine, now that you have the hang of it.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:57 AM

Sometimes if the center is still stuck, gently lift the edges and let some of the water soak under a bit and put back in the back for a few extra minutes. It should then release without having to scrap the back, which is risky while wet.

Last edited by sb1; 10-28-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:07 AM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

Wow, great to see the trial and error. It looks like you got it pretty much dialed in. You should end up with some pretty great cards! I'd still be sweating bullets on those big guys, even with great confidence. They look really nice considering.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:25 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default hmmmm

Not sure you're getting the whole concept. Minimal paper loss is still paper loss! SB1 was quite correct about a proven approach and it's a method I've used quite a few times when I was more active. I WOULDN'T suggest the paper towel other than blotting it carefully before placing it between plain paper or typing paper. Paper towels can leave a nearly invisible imprint on the surface. As for trying to pry the paper off the back - DO NOT try and use any kind of implement to free the paper OR rub anything. Paper loss is a likely result. If the card needs a little rinse for a little residual glue just lightly run some water over it. BE CAREFUL WHEN THE CARD IS WET - it can easily tear or crease. After placing between the paper put lots of weight on top of the card or cards - making sure whatever flat surface coming into contact with the card covers the card completely (I just place quite a few books on top). CHANGE the paper after 15-20 minutes and successively less frequently over next few hours/day. LET THE CARD COMPLETELY DRY. It may look or feel dry but I'm thinking about THREE DAYS. Any moisture left in the card might lead to wrinkles or mold/foxing at some future point.

edited to add an admonition :-)

no guarantees whether written or implied

Last edited by 1880nonsports; 10-28-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:19 PM
Nick Pascal

Just a quick little update:

Forgot to take pics before I sent them off, but a number of the better cards got sent off to PSA this week. Robinson, Ruth, Musial, Williams, Spahn, Rizzuto, Wagner, and DiMaggio. I'll post another update when I get them back in hand.

And a big thank you to everyone that offered their great advice! This community really is the best. After those rough first few, I was able to free the rest of them almost incident free. It was very cool to be able to expose the backs of the cards that haven't seen the light of day in 70ish years!
Old 12-12-2020, 08:24 PM
pete ullman

looking forward to seeing them...june or so?
Old 12-12-2020, 08:59 PM
Nick Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
looking forward to seeing them...june or so?
Haha I hope not! The Ruth and Robinson had to go in the high service levels that don't seem to be too affected with delays, and the express level that the others went in on seem to be about a month or maybe less based on what I've been reading from other recent submissions
Old 12-12-2020, 09:29 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

I’ve had good luck with glued 48 leafs using distilled water over night. The cards came off with no paper loss but were warped. I then let them sit under books for a week and they looked nice and flat after.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:15 AM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

did these ever get back to you? results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnp22 View Post
Haha I hope not! The Ruth and Robinson had to go in the high service levels that don't seem to be too affected with delays, and the express level that the others went in on seem to be about a month or maybe less based on what I've been reading from other recent submissions
Old 08-30-2022, 10:42 AM
J@mes In.gram

Just saw this thread brought back to life.

If you're still tuned in, I am from Memphis. I have some old Memphis Chicks/Russwood Park/Southern Association items in my modest collection. I graduated from Messick High School and attended Memphis State (now U of M) before going into the Navy for 26 years.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 08-30-2022, 11:50 AM
Mike

Hey Nick,

Would like to hear what the results are/were as well ...

When were you at MSU, Jim? I worked there from '87 - '99. Earthquake Center and Network services (last 5 years). Sounds like we could have crossed paths.

--
Mike
Old 08-30-2022, 01:31 PM
J@mes In.gram

I graduated high school in 1976; went to Memphis State 1977-78. Used to regularly eat pizza at Garibaldi's on Walker (best pizza I ever ate) and burgers at Huey's on Madison (best hamburgers I ever ate). I still come to town pretty much annually as one of my three sisters still lives in east Memphis off I-40.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***