NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-17-2019, 03:48 PM
Al Wright

As far as how would precious metals be used to acquire anything if a paper currency fails (and lets not restrict ourselves to the US $ here) the concept is that before central governments thought up the idea of paper currency precious metals (and other commodities) have been recognized as a "store of value" throughout history, and around the world. Look to Weimar Germany with it's astronomical inflation rate in the post WW1 era, when entire city blocks changed hands for a few pieces of gold. I would never try to cheerlead anyone into doing something with their resources that they are not inclined to do, but the idea that gold/silver/etc are "worthless" is belied by several thousand years of human history. They have always carried value.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:09 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pinson View Post
As far as how would precious metals be used to acquire anything if a paper currency fails (and lets not restrict ourselves to the US $ here) the concept is that before central governments thought up the idea of paper currency precious metals (and other commodities) have been recognized as a "store of value" throughout history, and around the world. Look to Weimar Germany with it's astronomical inflation rate in the post WW1 era, when entire city blocks changed hands for a few pieces of gold. I would never try to cheerlead anyone into doing something with their resources that they are not inclined to do, but the idea that gold/silver/etc are "worthless" is belied by several thousand years of human history. They have always carried value.
Very true. If you research history, it's amazing what just a little gold purchased in time of need.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

When I started to buy a little gold, there was a sharp irreconcilable difference of opinion on whether it was best to buy bullion/modern coins with essentially no premium to the metal price or to buy the pre-1933 coins. Many of the opinions, oddly, seemed to align with what the authors were selling. But I never got to anything like a consensus. All that said, the pre-1933 $20 gold pieces even in nice grade sell for a relatively low premium to the melt price compared to the fractionals, and they are beautiful.

Some of the silver coins are beautiful too but of course there the value is nearly all numismatic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1921 $1 peace.jpg (79.0 KB, 453 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-17-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

I’m hanging on to my sterling silverware, even though it is more difficult to stack than coins.

I haven’t found anyone who will grade my f**ks.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 06-17-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:55 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I’m hanging on to my sterling silverware, even though it is more difficult to stack than coins.

I haven’t found anyone who will grade my f**ks.
They say that centuries ago the rich were less likely to get the plague because of the silverware that they used. I guess there are healing properties in silver? As a doctor, have you ever heard that?

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 06-18-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:03 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

[QUOTE=vintagetoppsguy;1890023]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post

I haven’t found anyone who will grade my f**ks.[/QUOTE

They say that centuries ago the rich were less likely to get the plague because of the silverware that they used. I guess there are healing properties in silver? As a doctor, have you ever heard that?
Never heard that. Rats are implicated in the plague. I guess if you killed your rats with silver forks, the dinnerware could be a factor, but I would dispose of the fork along with the rat in that event. Perhaps the rich just had better mousetraps.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:40 AM
Banned

volvos are among the safest cars on the road.

volvos require premium unleaded gas.

buy premium unleaded gas and you will be less likely to be hurt in an accident.