NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-14-2014, 10:56 AM
gregr2's Avatar
gregr2 gregr2 is offline
Greg Ryk0w$k1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 1,397
Default The Game That Was - The George Brace Baseball Photo Collection

As an amateur photographer I have fallen in love with the older baseball pictures. I've found some incredible George Burke and George Brace photos on Ebay. After doing some research I came across this book. I picked it up used on Amazon for $1.27 plus $3.00 shipping, hardcover and 246 pages!! What an incredible deal!! I received the book yesterday and have been perusing it ever since. The pictures are truly amazing!

So that being said I've decided to narrow my focus to collecting George Burke and George Brace HOF autographed pictures. Just wanted to share...

My scanner is not big enough to scan the entire cover.

img048.jpg

Last edited by gregr2; 01-14-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:27 PM
johnmh71 johnmh71 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 552
Default

I picked up an autographed copy from a board member. Excellent book if you enjoy photography from that era.
__________________
John Hat.cher
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-15-2014, 12:43 PM
thecatspajamas's Avatar
thecatspajamas thecatspajamas is offline
L@nce Fit.tro
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 2,433
Default

Agreed! Excellent book, and an excellent choice for collecting focus. I've done a fair bit of research and study on George Burke, coming at it from the photography angle moreso than autographs, and have found this book to be the most helpful in terms of background on both Burke and Brace of any out there. And it's sure got some purty pictures in it too! Highly recommended, especially at that price!
__________________
Ebay Store and Weekly Auctions
Web Store with better selection and discounts
Polite corrections for unidentified and misidentified photos appreciated. Rude corrections also appreciated, but less so.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-15-2014, 12:50 PM
gregr2's Avatar
gregr2 gregr2 is offline
Greg Ryk0w$k1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 1,397
Default

Great book, I agree. And the price was fantastic.

So I've been told that Jim Rowe produced a bunch of postcards in the 60s and 70s that were done from Burke/Brace negatives. I was really hoping to keep my focus on Burke/Brace autographed originals. Is there any way of knowing which photographs would be originals as opposed to reprints?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-15-2014, 01:34 PM
thecatspajamas's Avatar
thecatspajamas thecatspajamas is offline
L@nce Fit.tro
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 2,433
Default

Telling Burke from Rowe is easy: just look for Burke's stamp on the back. Telling a George Brace PC from a Jim Rowe PC can be a little trickier, as both primarily used the same RPPC stock with the Kodak pre-printed divided back. Often Rowe's prints will look light or faded and generally don't have the sharp contrast that Brace's restrikes do, but many are virtually indistinguishable until you've seen enough of them to recognize Brace's handwriting on the back vs. Rowe's. Generally-speaking though, whether the postcard was produced by Brace (after Burke's death) or Rowe doesn't have much effect on the value or desirability (speaking of Brace vs. Rowe), as both were producing restrikes from Burke's original negatives. Unlike Rowe, Brace did continue to take his own photos, so for shots from the 1950's or later, Brace's would be more desirable as Rowe does not appear to have been a photographer himself and was limited by what source material he could find (he REALLY lucked out getting his hands on so many of Burke's original negatives to work from).

Burke vs. Brace or Burke vs. Rowe is altogether different though, and signed original Burke photos (with Burke's stamp on the back) are much more expensive and tough to come by, especially if you're limiting your focus to HOFers.
__________________
Ebay Store and Weekly Auctions
Web Store with better selection and discounts
Polite corrections for unidentified and misidentified photos appreciated. Rude corrections also appreciated, but less so.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 01-15-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-15-2014, 02:16 PM
gregr2's Avatar
gregr2 gregr2 is offline
Greg Ryk0w$k1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 1,397
Default

Great information, thank you!!

So I may limited myself unnecessarily going with Burke HOFers. I think I will still try to find as many Burke signed HOFers as possible but I'll have to be open to Brace/Rowe HOFers as well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-12-2014, 11:03 PM
bluejay4eva34 bluejay4eva34 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
As an amateur photographer I have fallen in love with the older baseball pictures. I've found some incredible George Burke and George Brace photos on Ebay. After doing some research I came across this book. I picked it up used on Amazon for $1.27 plus $3.00 shipping, hardcover and 246 pages!! What an incredible deal!! I received the book yesterday and have been perusing it ever since. The pictures are truly amazing!

So that being said I've decided to narrow my focus to collecting George Burke and George Brace HOF autographed pictures. Just wanted to share...

My scanner is not big enough to scan the entire cover.

Attachment 128719
Hello,
My name is Ian Jefferson and I'm the son of former Major League pitched the late Mr. Jesse Jefferson....would there be any photos of my father in this book? I believe mr brace may have taken some photos of my father when he was with the White Sox from '75-'76..Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-13-2014, 07:46 AM
whitehse's Avatar
whitehse whitehse is offline
And.rew Whi.te
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southern Wisconsin/Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejay4eva34 View Post
Hello,
My name is Ian Jefferson and I'm the son of former Major League pitched the late Mr. Jesse Jefferson....would there be any photos of my father in this book? I believe mr brace may have taken some photos of my father when he was with the White Sox from '75-'76..Thanks
I dont think there is any doubt Mr. Brace took photos of your father but not sure they would be in this book. I used to work at Wrigley Field and had a chance to not only talk to Mr. Brace a large number of times but also watched him work. Mr. Brace would arrive early and wait for the players to emerge from the clubhouse. He always seemed to know who was new to the team (usually a minor league call up) or who had changed uniforms with a new team and sought those players out for photos. I dont believe he ever missed a player when it came to getting autos. I asked him once why he felt the need to have a shot of each player in their new uniform and he said he would sell photos to the players and families and they always wanted current photos on their new uniforms. Mr. Brace said he made a decent living selling photos to players and their families alone.

I knew that Brace's daughter had continued selling photos from his photo collection but I am not sure if she is still doing that. There used to be a web site for his work but I see that it does not seem to be active any more. Maybe some of the photo experts here have an idea as to what happened with the Brace collection. I would also suggest contacting the Hall of Fame for photos of your father. They have a extensive collection.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-13-2014, 08:19 AM
thecatspajamas's Avatar
thecatspajamas thecatspajamas is offline
L@nce Fit.tro
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 2,433
Default

The book focuses on the 1930's-40's, the years that Brace was working with photographer George Burke, with perhaps a few shots from the 1950's. There are no color photos in the book, and Brace shot almost exclusively in color from about 1960 on, so I'm pretty sure your father is not pictured in it (after typing that, I double-checked the index to be absolutely sure, and he is definitely not in there).

Mary Brace did indeed continue to operate the business as George's health waned and after his death in 2002, but sold the entire archive and any rights to the photos that she retained to John Rogers in 2012. If Brace took photos of your father (and I'm sure he did), that is where they reside now. Rogers' group has since sold off a lot of the Burke negatives, but I don't think they've dipped into Brace's "color years" (1960+) yet.

Attached are a handful of images I have of your father in his White Sox uniform (first 2 are 1975, last 2 are 1976) for your viewing pleasure. I don't think any are of sufficient resolution to produce a good print, but if you would like the jpg files, pm me your e-mail and I'll be glad to send them over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jesse_Jefferson_(1975_White_Sox).jpg (44.2 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Jesse_Jefferson_(1975_White_Sox)_2.jpg (17.1 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Jesse_Jefferson_(1976_White_Sox).jpg (23.4 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Jesse_Jefferson_(1976_White_Sox)_.jpg (5.5 KB, 203 views)
__________________
Ebay Store and Weekly Auctions
Web Store with better selection and discounts
Polite corrections for unidentified and misidentified photos appreciated. Rude corrections also appreciated, but less so.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-13-2014, 08:49 AM
gregr2's Avatar
gregr2 gregr2 is offline
Greg Ryk0w$k1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 1,397
Default

Very nice gesture Lance!
__________________
Numerous successful transactions on Net54, just ask for references.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-16-2014, 07:50 AM
bluejay4eva34 bluejay4eva34 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
The book focuses on the 1930's-40's, the years that Brace was working with photographer George Burke, with perhaps a few shots from the 1950's. There are no color photos in the book, and Brace shot almost exclusively in color from about 1960 on, so I'm pretty sure your father is not pictured in it (after typing that, I double-checked the index to be absolutely sure, and he is definitely not in there).

Mary Brace did indeed continue to operate the business as George's health waned and after his death in 2002, but sold the entire archive and any rights to the photos that she retained to John Rogers in 2012. If Brace took photos of your father (and I'm sure he did), that is where they reside now. Rogers' group has since sold off a lot of the Burke negatives, but I don't think they've dipped into Brace's "color years" (1960+) yet.

Attached are a handful of images I have of your father in his White Sox uniform (first 2 are 1975, last 2 are 1976) for your viewing pleasure. I don't think any are of sufficient resolution to produce a good print, but if you would like the jpg files, pm me your e-mail and I'll be glad to send them over.
These are great thank you..I'm always looking for images I've never seen before...I really appreciate this.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: 1946 Chicago Bears George Brace Photo SOLD quinnsryche Everything Else, Football, Non-Sports etc.. B/S/T 0 12-04-2013 03:46 PM
WTB: George Brace Photo fred toney TT40391 1920 to 1949 Baseball cards- B/S/T 0 10-02-2009 05:46 PM
WTB: George Brace Photo fred toney TT40391 Pre-WWII cards (E, D, M, W, etc..) B/S/T 0 10-02-2009 05:45 PM
WTB: George Brace Photo fred toney TT40391 Baseball Memorabilia B/S/T 0 10-02-2009 05:44 PM
For Sale: George Brace/Jim Rowe Photo Postcards... Archive 1950 to 1959 Baseball cards- B/S/T 1 06-28-2008 10:27 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 AM.


ebay GSB