NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-25-2022, 06:12 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Share your contrarian hobby opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
To state cognitive bias seems a misnomer and ignores the history of biology.
We can agree to disagree. Miscut cards or 90/10 cards being recognized as ugly in the 1980's, - yes. 70/30 cards? No, or at least not in the majority. I think cognitive bias came into play in the early 2000's, when people would begin to understand / recognize the difference between a PSA 8 and 8 (OC) as being only centering. Both are sharp cards, and often the OC qualifier card is not egregiously OC. Would most collectors have shunned the qualified card in 1989? Maybe they would have, maybe not. I tend to think not. That's my only point with OC, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I love a perfectly centered card - who doesn't? My position is simply that a card that is somewhat off centered is not necessarily "not" a good looking card just because of that. I state cognitive bias because with the advent of PSA - you had a whole population of collectors suddenly shunning mildly OC cards at a time when just a few years earlier - nobody much cared. New people to the hobby were told by experienced collectors to "avoid OC cards" before they even fully comprehended what centering was. Your points about biology and centering are valid - but understand that at Topps in 1990 and earlier, nobody gave the first hoot about centering. A worker taking cards out of a cut tray was not looking at something like that. It wasn't part of their criteria. A card then was mint whether it came out of the pack 50/50 all the way around or 100/0. Part of why I think it's all at least partially cognitive bias is that cards that were never intended to be a certain thing are now being judged by a criteria which would have been considered utterly ridiculous at the time they were produced. So yes, inherently - truly centered cards look better. But not appreciating the ones that aren’t is at least partially cognitive bias IMO. We shun them because the hobby has told us to for more than 20 years now.

I’m 45. I would agree with you that mail order when I was a kid was a gamble at best, a nightmare at worse. I remember getting a 1955 Bowman Pee Wee Reese in a mailer I think from Bill Henderson. The card was raw - no toploader, no penny sleeve - sandwiched in-between thick, stapled cardboard. I'll give him credit - it was in the condition described. But I got lucky.

Last edited by jchcollins; 06-25-2022 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:01 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
By far,collecting the 48-49 Leafs have given me the most enjoyment. A well registered example is truly beautiful. The set has only 98 cards. A high percentage of them are HOF'ers and rookies. What other set has DiMaggio, Ruth, Musial, Paige, Williams and Robinson in it? AND the Short prints are really Short prints.

Hey Mike Ryan...... I hope to see you at the National in July.

I am surprised that you are referring to these LEAF cards as a "1948" or a "1948-49" issue. You have probably the best looking 1949 LEAF set of anyone on Net54.

I know you know that the 1949 LEAF Premiums were in the same wax-pack boxes as the cards were. So, why do PSA and SGC have the Premiums correctly identified
1949, but the cards not 1949 ?

. . . .

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 06-25-2022, 07:43 PM
Se@n Kel.ly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
- T207's are the best looking of the tobacco card sets.
I think T207s are overlooked because the biggest name (Walter Johnson) is a legitimately ugly card. Most of the set looks fantastic, but there are plenty of collectors who never look past the Johnson when they look at this set
Old 06-26-2022, 10:01 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post

My contrarian view would be that the lowest grade is as safe as investment as the highest grade. It’s the ones in between that have a little more risk.
That's actually a really interesting and IMO accurate observation. I've noticed through a bunch of downturns and rebounds that lower grade moves in all economic climates; you won't get burned unless you buy way too high. I've steadily downgraded my postwar from 7-8 to 3-6 caliber cards, with no difference in enjoyment of them. And I use the extra money to buy more cards, which is always a good thing.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-26-2022, 10:07 AM

The general obsession with spot-on centering can cut it out. Did you get in this hobby for the perfect borders or what's contained within? Don't let your OCD determine how much more enjoyment you'll derive from a card when you could have a gorgeous 65/35 for a fraction of the cost.

Whoever convinced collectors to pay more for perfect borders was a genius. They should also be tarred and feathered.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:25 AM
pete ullman

I have grown to really appreciate and love "crudely" drawn cards...like many strips...33' eclipse...late 40's m & p...as long as the drawings accurately resemble the players...I think they are a really cool snapshot of the resources available at the time.

ok...maybe the henrich isn't such a great example!!!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 5.55.51 PM.png (154.3 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg universalruthfr223.jpg (194.9 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 4.48.15 PM.jpg (74.9 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 10.01.45 PM.jpg (57.7 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 11.35.25 PM.jpg (36.1 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by ullmandds; 06-26-2022 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=JollyElm;2235173]• Any Dave Kingman at-bat was the most exciting thing ever for a fan.

FACT CHECK: TRUE
Old 06-26-2022, 04:02 PM
James M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
The general obsession with spot-on centering can cut it out. Did you get in this hobby for the perfect borders or what's contained within? Don't let your OCD determine how much more enjoyment you'll derive from a card when you could have a gorgeous 65/35 for a fraction of the cost.

Whoever convinced collectors to pay more for perfect borders was a genius. They should also be tarred and feathered.
You say this, but it is honestly biological for some people. I look at a card that is really off center and it just throws everything off in my brain. Because that is how MY brain is wired. If your brain accepts off center cards and does not mentally flag them or downgrade them, then bully for you. But for some people, the way their brain is wired won't allow that.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53toppscollector View Post
You say this, but it is honestly biological for some people. I look at a card that is really off center and it just throws everything off in my brain. Because that is how MY brain is wired. If your brain accepts off center cards and does not mentally flag them or downgrade them, then bully for you. But for some people, the way their brain is wired won't allow that.
Fair enough, and you can be assured I'm not making light of that. Most people who are passionate about collecting things seem to have OCD in some form or other. That's been my experience, anyway.

When it comes to perfect border OCD, I do wonder how less prevalent this would have been without this information having been ingrained into collectors, which stemmed from the first person who afforded a premium to perfectly centered cards. (Chances are, that person was both a good salesman AND suffered himself from PBOCD!) If nobody had made mention of it, the extent of the obsession would be greatly lightened.

Corner issues and creases are easier for me to understand, I guess, as those things represent actual damage. An O/C card was just made that way. ETA: I more easily understand anyone's aversion when it comes to miscuts, though. That's beyond O/C; the card is missing part of itself!

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 06-26-2022 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:05 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

The 53 bowman color mantle is OC, I can't look at it without getting a headache.

I love the people arguing in this thread. The whole friggin point is a CONTRARIAN point of view!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-26-2022, 07:24 PM
Gary

Here goes nothing....

1. Cards with poorly drawn pictures (eg W551) suck

2. Set collecting rules. If you buy the 15 HoFers in a set, you have some great cards but it's just have a small percentage of the set. I can buy the grill from a 38 Ford....it might look good on the wall but it doesn't compare to a complete car.

3. Oddball sets are cool. Kelloggs, Red Man, Kahns, Wilson Frank's are often much more interesting that the Topps or Bowman of the same year.

4. Memorabilia trumps cards... Memorabilia is often rarer, displays better and has more interesting history.

5) Corners, Print Quality, and then centering in that order
Old 06-26-2022, 07:40 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:

Couldn’t agree more. Most cards 70/30 or better one way I have absolutely no problem with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2022, 02:07 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I don't understand all this love for the first two Bowman Mantles over the '52 Topps. Those Mantles (and all 1950-52 Bowmans) are crude, almost child-like depictions. The artistry, if you want to call it that, is laughable (Paul Richards, anyone?). The best efforts look more like comic book illustrations rather than anything approximating portraiture. The 1950's also feels really late in the game for using simplistic artwork over actual photography. If that appeals to you, however, 1953 Topps would be a more sound option to me. Couple all of this with their odd and inconsistent sizing over just a few short years, and you've completely lost me. '53 Color-'55 are things of beauty. Bowman finally got a handle on crafting beautiful cards, and then they were gone.
Oddly enough I really dislike the sizing of early Topps. I much prefer the smaller Bowmans from 48-52 and I enjoy the size differences. I probably like 1950 sizing the best. As for the art it's just much more appealing to me on 50-52 Bowman than either 52 or 53 Topps. The bold black outlines are somewhat of an OCD thing with me and art, and they add a LOT visually for me on early Bowman art cards. The 52 and 53 Topps sets are just meh when I compare them side by side with 50-52 Bowman.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:46 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I don't understand all this love for the first two Bowman Mantles over the '52 Topps. Those Mantles (and all 1950-52 Bowmans) are crude, almost child-like depictions. The artistry, if you want to call it that, is laughable (Paul Richards, anyone?). The best efforts look more like comic book illustrations rather than anything approximating portraiture. The 1950's also feels really late in the game for using simplistic artwork over actual photography. If that appeals to you, however, 1953 Topps would be a more sound option to me. Couple all of this with their odd and inconsistent sizing over just a few short years, and you've completely lost me. '53 Color-'55 are things of beauty. Bowman finally got a handle on crafting beautiful cards, and then they were gone.
I like 'em all a lot but my sentimental favorite is the 1952 Bowman because I got one at a card show auction for $3.25 in 1978. The rates have gone up...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-27-2022 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:52 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I like 'em all a lot but my sentimental favorite is the 1952 Bowman because I got one at a card show auction for $3.25 in 1978. The rates have gone up...

Beautiful! The 52 Bowman really stands out to me among this bunch. That is a beaut of a 1 for the Topps though, very nice!