NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-24-2022, 08:19 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Default SGC grading is super fast.

Mailed a 20 card order from my home on June 15th. Received an email today, June 24th that cards have been graded and shipped. Only 9 days later. Don't think it's possible to get a cards graded quicker that that. Frank
Old 06-24-2022, 12:53 PM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

Agreed, super fast lately, which is awesome!

However, that does says something about demand, which may not be a great signal
Old 06-24-2022, 02:35 PM
Jay Cee

Were the grades as expected?
Old 06-24-2022, 02:50 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
Mailed a 20 card order from my home on June 15th. Received an email today, June 24th that cards have been graded and shipped. Only 9 days later. Don't think it's possible to get a cards graded quicker that that. Frank

significantly faster than 6 an 9 months ago. the market is clearly a fraction of what it was
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 06-24-2022, 03:19 PM

Default SGC cards

To nineunder71- It is very dangerous to suggest that SGC is returning cards
quickly merely because demand "may" be light. Not sure if you've ever been
to a Chick Fil A drive thru. TONS of customers, but they are met by a well
organized work force that knows it's stuff and gets the food to you fast. Now
imagine a McDonald's drive thru with a ton of customers. You can actually
grow a beard waiting in the same line. The reason? Less organization, less
happy employees, more foot dragging. SGC isn't perfect, but they provide
what so many of us lament as lacking from PSA- a great product, FAST.
(And no, I don't own a Chick Fil A or work for SGC

Trent King
Old 06-24-2022, 03:53 PM
Chase

Sounds clear to me that demand is down as it should be. Beckett, CSG and PSA are all returning cards much faster now as well. To suggest that all of them just figured out how to be more efficient is silly. Faster turnaround times...same staff means fewer cards to grade.

I would expect price drops soon and/or layoffs. The big 4 all expanded to meet demands in a very robust market. All have to be thinking about contraction at this point. The bigger they are the more thinking they should be doing.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:00 PM

Default Sgc

Chase- you're putting words in my mouth, and that dog won't hunt. It IS
silly to claim I stated ALL graders "somehow" got more efficient. SGC has been
light years ahead of PSA in the regard for some time, even during heavy
submissions. Lots of folks whistle nervously when PSA is called out because
they have prayed at that altar forever and are counting on it; however, my
comment stands.

Trent King
Old 06-24-2022, 04:03 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post

Trent King
Chick fila does not have a fast drive thru. People just think they do because they are always accurate, friendly and do stuff like taking order way before speaker and bringing food out at a different place other than the window.

Studies have shown they actually have one of the slower times in the fast food industry.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:08 PM
Chase

Trent,

SGC has done a great job since expanding and being able to deliver faster turnaround times for less money than all of their competitors. My point, which you have missed because you took offense to my post, is that all 4 TPG are returning cards much faster than they had been even 2 months ago. It suggests that all of them...including SGC are returning cards faster because they are all getting fewer cards. If you want to believe it is because SGC is even more efficient now then run with it.

Chase
Old 06-24-2022, 04:18 PM
Robert Klevens

That's much better than PSA. My 20 card Economy submission is now on day 87 and still in QA Check 1. They have not been doing submissions in order either. When they started their Economy Events back in January they were returning orders in 5-7 weeks. That doesn't seem to be the case at all now.

I sent two orders to SGC and got them back within 10 days.

I'm also waiting for two bulk orders at PSA since March 2021.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:37 PM

Default Sgc

To Notfast- way to miss the point! Since you're into parsing words, I'll make
it really basic. Chick Fila is a restaurant where a customer can go in, or get
food by driving through(!) the property and getting food from workers who
are NOT inside. And Chick Fil A does indeed have a "window" where both
payment AND food/drink are exchanged (unless I've been having out of
body experiences while there). Any comment on the actual topic?

Lorewalker- I didn't miss your point, I defeated it. If you want to refer to
being correct as "running with it", then by all means...run with it.

To prestigecollectibles(Robert)- thanks for the lucidity and real world
example. It's not that difficult, gang!

Trent King
Old 06-24-2022, 04:55 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
That's much better than PSA. My 20 card Economy submission is now on day 87 and still in QA Check 1. They have not been doing submissions in order either. When they started their Economy Events back in January they were returning orders in 5-7 weeks. That doesn't seem to be the case at all now.

I sent two orders to SGC and got them back within 10 days.

I'm also waiting for two bulk orders at PSA since March 2021.
I think we are going on month 14 for our Swingin' 60's sub to PSA.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-24-2022, 06:47 PM
Bob C.

Quote:

Trent King
Trent, the only one missing any points in this thread is you.

No one said or implied that SGC wasn't quick and doing a great job in turning around submissions. The implication was that SGC, as well as with PSA and other TPGs, turnaround times recently all seem to be getting better and faster, is an indication that the backlogs and new submissions are not at the levels they were not too long ago. No one said anything detrimental about SGC's work or business, which you used the ridiculous McDonalds/Chick-Fil-A drive thru time comparison to attack with. A grader at any of the TPGs is going to take a set, average amount of time, to grade a single card. And I would expect that that average grading time per card does not vary much, if any at all, between their best and worst graders. So unless a TPG has suddenly hired/added a lot of new graders, they are predictably going to be able to turn around and grade so many cards, per day, on average. So if they go from taking about three weeks (21 days) to grade and turn around someone's card submissions to now turning them around in say just 9 days, that invariably indicates that they have significantly reduced the backlog of cards they have to grade. And the only real way to significantly do that, again without having hired/added lots of new graders, is if the new submissions are coming in at a lesser number than the graded cards going out on a daily basis. That is just simple math! Now there could be other reasons that have a partial or temporary effect on these backlogs and how quickly cards are turned around, but arguably not like we're consistently seeing among all the TPGs turnaround times recently.

Regarding the Chick-Fil-A versus McDonalds comparison, could some of that drive-thru time difference also be a function of the different menus and number of items on them, as well as the inside, sit-down business they each may or may not have as well? And as for less happy employees and such, McDonalds primarily sells beef products, whereas Chick-Fil-A primarily sells you-know-what. It is also seems that poultry prices and supply haven't taken as big of a rise/hit as beef prices and supply appear to have lately. And as a result, McDonalds may in trying to maintain menu pricing without doubling the cost of Big Macs, not be able to simply increase employee wages to where more, and supposedly better, employees would sign on. Though they are both fast food businesses, they are not necessarily similar businesses in that their main products are totally different. And okay, so it takes a couple minutes more in McDonald's drive thru sometimes. Can you do a better and faster job of cooking the same burgers and fries at home as you can by going to McDonalds to get them? Assuming not, then McDonalds is still fulfilling their commitment to getting customers fast food at a somewhat reasonable price. Now if you were to compare McDonalds to say Burger King or Wendy's drive thru times, that makes a lot more sense. What you're doing seems to me more akin to comparing a pizza parlor to a gyro place, as far as order/preparation times and comparisons go.

I don't get what your beef (pun intended) is with the one poster who merely suggested that faster turnaround times are possibly an indicator that the submissions coming in are slowing down. That poster never said or implied that his comment was directed solely at SGC, but you sure seem to have taken it that way. His comment was also not attacking SGC, nor suggesting SGC was doing anything wrong, or even naming them. Before attacking him, did you even think to possibly ask him first if he was talking solely about SGC, or maybe about all TPGs in general? No you didn't, did you? And then others followed and posted how the dropping turnaround times are across all the TPGs, and that may indicate an overall drop in submissions for the entire TPG industry, not just SGC. And as also mentioned by other posters, that could then potentially spell some issues for all TPGs who hired/added a lot of new graders during the pandemic to deal with the backlogs and submission surges. Your defense of SGC against nineunder71 was merely that, and I quote, "SGC isn't perfect, but they provide what so many of us lament as lacking from PSA- a great product, FAST." No one said otherwise or disputed that.

But the fact that a lot more collectors/investors seem to want to send their cards to be graded by PSA because they tend to bring higher prices than any other TPG graded cards, and that PSA has recently started to lower their submission fees and expand submissions they accept, might that not also be a contributing factor as to why SGC could be suddenly experiencing fewer submissions, and therefore faster turnaround times as well? In addition, you apparently didn't even think of or mention the fact that there is a new qualified TPG out there, CSG, that is now competing against SGC, PSA, and BVG, and most likely taking away business from all of them as well. And of course, there is the economy itself, and the inflation we're in the midst of, that is also likely having an overall negative effect on the hobby, which will of course naturally extend to the grading of cards and their submission as well. If people start thinking that card prices may be going down in the near future due to the economy, doesn't it make sense that submissions will likely go down, at least for a period of time, as well?

Use some common sense and logic. Aside from hiring/adding many new graders, the only way SGC (or any other of the TPGs for that matter) could suddenly cut their backlog and dramatically improve their turnaround times other than by decreased submissions, wouldn't be due to sudden increases in efficiency. It would most likely be due to them telling graders to start cutting corners and not be completely thorough in the examination and grading of cards, so they can turn even more of them around faster and faster. Face it, there is going to be some minimal amount of time and effort to properly examine, grade, and encapsulate a graded card. And all these TPGs (with the exception of CSG) have been in the grading business for decades now. Do you really think that any of them have not already fine-tuned their grading processes and efficiencies so as to have each grader be able to turn out as many graded cards as they can each day, and thus maximize each company's potential for profits? I'd love to hear what sudden upgrade or changes to their procedures and operating efficiencies you're aware of that SGC has recently put into place that would otherwise explain the increased speed in their turnaround times.

If you can actually come back with ANY factual, logical or senseful arguments(s) to the contrary of what I or others have posted (because you sure haven't so far to anyone), I'm all ears. Actually convince me you're possibly at least partially right about something, and have some valid reasoning and arguments, not just the usual "Well I'm right and you're wrong!" crap I seem to most often get from a lot of others on this forum. Otherwise, you owe nineunder71 and Chase (Lorewalker) apologies!!!!!

(And for the record, I have no interest or anything to do with PSA, SGC, BVG, or CSG, and I sure as hell have nothing to do with McDonalds, Chick-Fil-A, or any other fast food place for that matter!)
Old 06-24-2022, 07:36 PM

Default SGC grading

BobC-

1) I owe neither Lorewalker nor you, an apology.

2) Since sarcasm/ subtlety are beyond your comprehension, I
don't truly have a "beef" with Lorewalker. I feel compelled to call
foolish statements out for what they are.

3) You have strayed way beyond the point, not me. You are
operating under the notion that painfully long responses somehow
count for more. You're not being paid by the word, and it's been a long
time since I've read so much verbiage with so little content. You're like
Eugene O'Neill, except your manifestos are tripe.

4) Now then, high tail it to your nearest Chick Fil A with your list of
outstanding PSA submissions. Here's a test- write another load of pseudo
babble and be sure to post it as soon as you can. Make it full of anger and
admonition directed at me (I won't read it, but you will feel better). Then,
see which happens first- the arrival of your PSA cards, or the completion
of your magnum opus. I'll check back in a year.

Trent King
Old 06-24-2022, 07:47 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Sgc

is super fast!

SGC gets cards back quicker than other grading companies even load the order in their system.

Fact!

Those that know.......just know.

Chik-Fil-A references just make me hungry. Honest.

Moo!

Old 06-24-2022, 07:50 PM
Chase

Quote:
Lorewalker- I didn't miss your point, I defeated it. If you want to refer to
being correct as "running with it", then by all means...run with it.

Trent King
Wow I definitely missed the part where you defeated my point but how about I give you an "atta boy" for the effort? Seems very much like you need it. And of the two of us, I am definitely not the one hung up on needing to be correct.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:02 PM

Default Sgc

Lorewalker- you're not "hung up", but you keep replying...got it. If you and
BobC can find a few more Infinity Stones, you can use the Gauntlet against
me! Trent King
Old 06-24-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Wow I definitely missed the part where you defeated my point but how about I give you an "atta boy" for the effort? Seems very much like you need it. And of the two of us, I am definitely not the one hung up on needing to be correct.
+1
Old 06-24-2022, 08:07 PM

Default Sgc

Orioles 1954

Gosh, I feel so good writing that. Did I negate your +1?

(Sarcasm for those of you who miss it)

Trent King
Old 06-24-2022, 08:09 PM

Default Sgc

Orioles 1954-

I've changed my mind, I'm going with -2!

Think I'll focus now on acquiring cards, thanks for playing.

Trent King
Old 06-24-2022, 08:10 PM
Chase

King Trent are you an adult? Just checking. Might want to find one who can read this thread to you and explain it. But you really do not look THAT foolish, honestly.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:14 PM

Default Sgc

Lorewalker- have you been checked for a cranial/rectal inversion lately? And
you DO look foolish (honestly). Keep trying, hoss! Trent King
Old 06-24-2022, 08:41 PM
Al Stein

This was just in the news today- c-f-a is working to solve their massive issues with drive through service.

https://www.eatthis.com/news-chick-f...e-thru-issues/

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
I think they're doing a good job. They more than doubled staff a year or so ago so they are probably up to speed at this point. I can't speak on the other graders but SGC seems to be doing pretty well.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
This was just in the news today- c-f-a is working to solve their massive issues with drive through service.

https://www.eatthis.com/news-chick-f...e-thru-issues/

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
At my local Chik-Fil-A the average wait time is about a half hour...and that's with two lanes. It's a nice sandwich but not going to burn through gas for some chicken and waffle fries.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:09 PM

Literally WTF is this thread how does it go from SGC go CFA??? And you’d be crazy to think that faster turnaround times and the market slowing aren’t correlated. Have y’all seen the news lately? Yeah the big dogs may not be affected, but the little to middle fish I’d imagine most certainly are to some degree.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:11 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Sigh. This thread is past popcorn.
Peace out.
...whatever I want
Old 06-24-2022, 10:13 PM
Bob C.

As fully expected, Trent didn't/couldn't give a single logical or sensical argument or any actual facts to prove or support any of the points he was making, nor to disprove anything I or others were saying. As I typically see with posters like that, they completely ignore any questions asked, and in my case often just choose to complain about the lengths of my posts, like that suddenly makes their arguments and points valid by some miracle. Because they don't want to see someone posting so much that they have nothing they can really come back at or refute, they oftentimes just continue touting how they are right, and anyone not agreeing with them is wrong. Brilliant argument, and way to try and prove a point, right?

He still rightly owes apologies to nineunder71 and LoreWalker, but I never asked for, nor would I ever want one. It generally takes a mature person to admit when they were wrong about something. I'll leave it at that.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:25 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
As fully expected, Trent didn't/couldn't give a single logical or sensical argument or any actual facts to prove or support any of the points he was making, nor to disprove anything I or others were saying. As I typically see with posters like that, they completely ignore any questions asked, and in my case often just choose to complain about the lengths of my posts, like that suddenly makes their arguments and points valid by some miracle. Because they don't want to see someone posting so much that they have nothing they can really come back at or refute, they oftentimes just continue touting how they are right, and anyone not agreeing with them is wrong. Brilliant argument, and way to try and prove a point, right?

He still rightly owes apologies to nineunder71 and LoreWalker, but I never asked for, nor would I ever want one. It generally takes a mature person to admit when they were wrong about something. I'll leave it at that.
Hi Bob,

I was looking at some of King Trent's posts and he apparently loves to go off on people out of the blue. He is entertaining but you cannot expect to have a meaningful conversation with him. As far as an apology the King has never had to apologize in his life...this much is very clear.

Take care,
Chase
Old 06-24-2022, 11:39 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Hi Bob,

I was looking at some of King Trent's posts and he apparently loves to go off on people out of the blue. He is entertaining but you cannot expect to have a meaningful conversation with him. As far as an apology the King has never had to apologize in his life...this much is very clear.

Take care,
Chase
Hi Chase,

Yes, I know fully well what you're saying, and how true it is. There are various people of similar ilk on this forum who detest someone posting all the different reasons and facts their points or views may not be as accurate and true as they like. As soon as they start complaining, instead of actually answering back with any real facts or logic, it pretty much solidifies they realize they aren't right, so they just deflect and/or keep chanting their "Well I'm right and you're wrong!" mantra, instead of simply admitting they may not have been entirely right or accurate in their thinking to begin with. It always amazes me how some people actually think and believe that if they just keep repeating the same false statements over and over again, that eventually others will believe and agree with them. The inability of so many people to have an open mind and be able to honestly and maturely look at and discuss issues from different sides, is one of the biggest reasons for many of the problems in the world today. Unfortunately, not a lot you and I can really do about it. You take care as well.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:34 AM

Default SGC grading

To Lorewalker and BobC- please accept my humblest apologies for
abandoning this compelling thread. I had to work on an actual card deal (!)
and, well, sleep...

It was cute reading your mutual admiration messages, very tender indeed.
Just a few little points, however, to snap you out of it:

1) I do NOT like to "go off" on people randomly. My posts contained no
threats or vulgarities. When someone makes a remark that is wrong-
like nineunder ascribing SGCs relative turnaround times to less demand
despite a consistent history of faster times- I point it out. My initial reply
was quite tame and didn't ruffle nine's feathers (as I recall, anyway).

2) It was then that lorewalker tried to put words in my mouth, and called
me "silly". Whoops, wrong turn... so I let him have it. He didn't even
have a dog in the fight. (I know, these darns facts are so annoying).

3) Then BobC came in with a Socratic dialogue laced with passive
aggression. Dear God, I hope you've never been called upon to give a
toast at a wedding. He missed the boat too, but you keeping doing you,
BobC!

4) To those who believe this thread was about Chick Fil A... can't help you.

Good Lord...

Trent King
Old 06-25-2022, 04:17 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Peculiar as psa opens up their cheaper service , sgc and their band of newly hired interns is slowing. Coincidence?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-25-2022, 05:01 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default Chick Filet

I can tell you bought 2 of the cold chicen wraps and they were horrible. The chicken tasted like leather and it appeared they were in cold storage since the last time the Marlins were in the World Series..

I tried to return them and they said wont take returns. I said i know you wont resell them but you can at least take them back and throw them out...and i hoped they would then offer something else to eat since they were 8 or so dollars and they could see it was my only order and hence my only meal

but nooooo, they had me just throw it out. I should of demanded another item for free now that i look back but i thought their implied great customer service would of known that...i do think mcdonalds would of offerd up a substitute meal in the same circumstances.

what i dont understand about mcdonalds is why do they insist you pay them 2 dollars up front and you cant just pay when you are done?

Heck, ruth chris or mortons you can rack up a $400 dollar bill and they wont blink an eye if you dont pay them until the meal is done. You can have them serve you right by your car in to go packaging and they still will allow this.

but mcdonalds you better pay them the 2 dollars ASAP if you want any chance to get your dinner....so mcdonalds is not off the hook either..

i will have to check next time if chick filet, mcdonalds , mortons or ruth chris serves me very fast to see how their business this year compares to last year (to keep this post on topic)

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 06-25-2022 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:03 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I think we are going on month 14 for our Swingin' 60's sub to PSA.
The official times is this sub was received in March 16th. It was officially logged in on May 4th. That doesn't take into effect the weeks that passed before it was even registered as being "received". Right now, we are in "GRADING".
Old 06-25-2022, 05:13 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
The official times is this sub was received in March 16th. It was officially logged in on May 4th. That doesn't take into effect the weeks that passed before it was even registered as being "received". Right now, we are in "GRADING".

But what does that have to do with Mickey D's wanting $2 up front?

Old 06-25-2022, 06:19 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
But what does that have to do with Mickey D's wanting $2 up front?

If Mickey D gave food out before they received payment, no one would pay. Even the federal government learned that trick a long time ago.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:46 AM
Chad

If speed, and lower prices has no net gain at the end of the transaction, what is the advantage?

I would guess everyone has different end games to why they choose different TPG or none at all. IMO if you want the max return on investment then PSA at this point is who you want, and you may have to wait for that, and pay more for that max return. I think it also matters what cards you collect as to which grader you want to use, as I'd imagine that also goes into another realm of AH for certain types of cards being sold. The options of multiple is a good thing for we can all achieve what our brains think is best.

I forgot to mention for me faster isn't always better neither is more expensive depending on the end result or gain.

Last edited by Vintage Vern; 06-25-2022 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:03 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
If Mickey D gave food out before they received payment, no one would pay. Even the federal government learned that trick a long time ago.
I dont see ruth chris going broke and they dont take payment until meal totally over....a check at ruth chris unpaid would equal 300 or so McD orders ..

some of the biggest crooks in the world had 'money',
Old 06-25-2022, 08:32 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Does SGC start grading t206 missing red ink, ghost over print and blank back again? or we just won't see them grading them anymore?
Old 06-25-2022, 09:28 AM
Dave

LOL, who on earth is paying for their fast food, AFTER they eat it?

I like Wendy's by the way. Shorter lines and better Chicken Nuggies.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:31 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
LOL, who on earth is paying for their fast food, AFTER they eat it?

I like Wendy's by the way. Shorter lines and better Chicken Nuggies.
right so why can you order $500 of food and other places and not pay until after you eat it and not even give a credit card up front...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 06-25-2022 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:34 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
right so why can you order $500 of food and other places and not pay until after you eat it and not even give a credit card up front...
People who work at fast food establishments aren't paid to watch people eat their food, wait on them, and work for tips.

I feel a little silly I even had to type that out.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:15 AM

Default Ancient History Lesson

,,,every thread needs labels from before Wazoo was born....

Old 06-25-2022, 11:53 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default Lol -

Yep, that's probably the reason.

I came to this thread late - pretty surreal read. I especially like how the three-sided flame war went on and on and on while a few other people completely ignored it and tried to stick to the topic... A valiant effort. But the $500 credit card comment really put the nail in its coffin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
People who work at fast food establishments aren't paid to watch people eat their food, wait on them, and work for tips.

I feel a little silly I even had to type that out.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:19 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Um, different demographic, different business model, different experience, different food, different timeline, different in every way imaginable.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-25-2022, 01:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Why do SGC modern cards sell at such a steep discount to PSA, and please don't quarrel with the premise, it's undeniable? Their grading seems as accurate, the presentation is as nice, set registry is not an issue for the overwhelming majority of the cards I am seeing.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:06 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Psa vs SGC

To me, it definitely is the Set Registry that sets PSA apart. Particularly when you have somebody as high caliber as Cosetta Robbins running it. She has been a model of efficiency for her 20+ years in charge. Plus, she is the kindest person in all of PSA. Nothing negative about SGC from me, however, I agree with Peter, it is perplexing to still see the difference in values between the two companies.

Just a quick update on my current lead time experience.

1. PSA Waiting on about 700 cards to be graded since early March, 2021.
2. Beckett. Recently, after almost TWENTY full months of waiting, I recd my
large submission back.

3. SGC. Never have given them a sub.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:50 PM

Default SGC cards

Peter Spaeth- great question! I agree that PSA cards somehow (voodoo/
deals written in blood with underworld creatures??) draw higher sales prices
than their SGC counterparts. Why is that? I will start with why it is NOT:

1) It is not because of better accuracy or consistency, that's for sure
2) It is not because of sterling customer service
3) It is not because of professionalism or integrity

The best explanation I can come up with, is that PSA was "first" in grading. I
am absolutely not saying this makes them best. They just got out ahead of
everyone. I think of a certain lawn mower/farm tractor company that has
been in the American consciousness for decades (their paint is green and
yellow). In my life, the clear worst mower I ever purchased was made by
this company, and it's not close. Yet people keep repeating their TV mantra.
It's familiarity, style over substance. People keep flocking to a restaurant
with a famous arch, despite the meat originating from skunk or opossum
(yes, this is sarcasm). Why do some people keep doing that? It's been
drilled into their skulls forever and they can't shake loose.

I like cards that are graded correctly and consistently. SGC fits that bill
more than PSA ever will. Every single PSA I own has been gone over with
a fine tooth comb and, unless there is a seismic change in their character,
always will be. I know my SGC 6 is a 6; however, all I know about a PSA 6
that I haven't seen, is that it is likely somewhere between a 1 and a 10.
They sure are rolling in money though

Trent King
Old 06-25-2022, 02:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Trent, it's hard for me to believe that all these decades later first mover advantage is the explanation, but then again I don't know. My own guess, I think PSA is better at self-promotion.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-25-2022 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:03 PM

Default SGC cards

Peter- I hear you; heck, I could be persuaded to agree. But what else is there?
They survive scandal after scandal, are utterly ramshackle in their actual
business of grading, and treat most customers like filth. Is it the registry
after all? I don't give a darn about it, but is there some legion who do, and
who continue fueling hammer values for shaky product? Trent King