NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-25-2022, 07:03 PM
Chase

It is not just modern in which SGC sells for deep discounts to PSA. It is almost universal to all issues and all years when you compare cards grade for grade. Sure there are individual exceptions but overall PSA out performs SGC on prices realized. The data speaks for itself.

This is clearly due to the Set Registry. When buyers see as many people participating in the registry it gives them assurances that the PSA product is well supported.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:03 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default PSA vs SGC

I honestly believe that if Cosetta left PSA, the Set Registry will never be as well organized, and well run as under Cosetta's domain. Also, it is quite possible (probable?) that many of us older in age, vintage dinosaur SET collectors, will fade off into the sunset after she departs...

One other reason to consider the PSA edge over SGC, is their website. To me it is night and day better..

I may kinda disagree with Clemente Fan who feels the SGC grading is the more consistent and accurate, but cannot be totally in dis-agreement as I have no submission experience with SGC. I, and presumably several others on this board and thread, can attest to the fact that when cracking out SGC cards and subbing to PSA, you are always taking a chance of getting an ungraded card back. It has happened to me more times than I can remember.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55koufax View Post
To me, it definitely is the Set Registry that sets PSA apart. Particularly when you have somebody as high caliber as Cosetta Robbins running it. She has been a model of efficiency for her 20+ years in charge. Plus, she is the kindest person in all of PSA. Nothing negative about SGC from me, however, I agree with Peter, it is perplexing to still see the difference in values between the two companies.

Just a quick update on my current lead time experience.

1. PSA Waiting on about 700 cards to be graded since early March, 2021.
2. Beckett. Recently, after almost TWENTY full months of waiting, I recd my
large submission back.

3. SGC. Never have given them a sub.
PSA certainly did well on the days they hired Cosetta and Jackie Curiel.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:55 PM
Ti.m O'Don.ovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
BobC-

1) I owe neither Lorewalker nor you, an apology.

2) Since sarcasm/ subtlety are beyond your comprehension, I
don't truly have a "beef" with Lorewalker. I feel compelled to call
foolish statements out for what they are.

3) You have strayed way beyond the point, not me. You are
operating under the notion that painfully long responses somehow
count for more. You're not being paid by the word, and it's been a long
time since I've read so much verbiage with so little content. You're like
Eugene O'Neill, except your manifestos are tripe.

4) Now then, high tail it to your nearest Chick Fil A with your list of
outstanding PSA submissions. Here's a test- write another load of pseudo
babble and be sure to post it as soon as you can. Make it full of anger and
admonition directed at me (I won't read it, but you will feel better). Then,
see which happens first- the arrival of your PSA cards, or the completion
of your magnum opus. I'll check back in a year.

Trent King
Eugene O'Neill Trent? Leave a good Irishman alone. John Updike makes the point, perhaps better
Old 06-25-2022, 10:57 PM
Ti.m O'Don.ovan

I wish SGC would take up tickets again. PSA could use some competition in that regard.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:16 PM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
Chick fila does not have a fast drive thru. People just think they do because they are always accurate, friendly and do stuff like taking order way before speaker and bringing food out at a different place other than the window.

Studies have shown they actually have one of the slower times in the fast food industry.
And it's RIDICULOUSLY expensive!
Old 06-26-2022, 01:55 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tod41 View Post
Eugene O'Neill Trent? Leave a good Irishman alone. John Updike makes the point, perhaps better
Tim,

Please don't feed a troll and give them more fodder to spew their ridiculous lies and statements about others. To complain like they do often demonstrates the attention span of a goldfish, and responses like that are frequently just an attempt to deflect and get around truly answering questions asked of them. Most likely because if they did honestly answer, it may show they were wrong to begin with, which they'll never admit to. Instead, they'll usually just come back at you with more sarcasm and hate.

I still haven't seen a single other poster in this thread agree to or support the premise that SGC has such a shorter turnaround time for grading cards than say PSA, primarily, or even just significantly, because of their organization skills or efficiencies. And what does that tell you?

By the way, Eugene O'Neill and John Updike are both great men and authors. Someone being compared to either of them wouldn't seem to me as a bad thing at all. To use such a literary heavyweight as Eugen O'Neill to supposedly make a sarcastic comment/insult directed towards someone by comparing them to him, ranks right up there with touting a Chick-Fil-A/McDonalds comparison to explain TPG turnaround times. No comment regarding the former, but the latter is most definitely a joke!

Last edited by BobC; 06-26-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:34 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Curious to know..

Quote:
I still haven't seen a single other poster in this thread agree to or support the premise that SGC has such a shorter turnaround time for grading cards than say PSA, primarily, or even just significantly, because of their organization skills or efficiencies. And what does that tell you?
Bob. Respectfully, and curiously wonder what it tells you?

Are you thinking they are dis-organized and inefficient?
Old 06-26-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Tim,

Please don't feed a troll and give them more fodder to spew their ridiculous lies and statements about others. To complain like they do often demonstrates the attention span of a goldfish, and responses like that are frequently just an attempt to deflect and get around truly answering questions asked of them. Most likely because if they did honestly answer, it may show they were wrong to begin with, which they'll never admit to. Instead, they'll usually just come back at you with more sarcasm and hate.

By the way, Eugene O'Neill and John Updike are both great men and authors. Someone being compared to either of them wouldn't seem to me as a bad thing at all. To use such a literary heavyweight as Eugen O'Neill to supposedly make a sarcastic comment/insult directed towards someone by comparing them to him, ranks right up there with touting a Chick-Fil-A/McDonalds comparison to explain TPG turnaround times. No comment regarding the former, but the latter is most definitely a joke!
I will say that Trent’s original premise of a highly functional SGC is just as valid as surmising that business is poor as mass lay offs are in the future. In reality, none of us know the truth.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:16 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
People who work at fast food establishments aren't paid to watch people eat their food, wait on them, and work for tips.

I feel a little silly I even had to type that out.
right the people that wait for tips can stop theft..
Old 06-26-2022, 03:40 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I will say that Trent’s original premise of a highly functional SGC is just as valid as surmising that business is poor as mass lay offs are in the future. In reality, none of us know the truth.
It is clear demand is down for all of the grading companies and this can be seen by their bringing back lower priced grading tiers and returning cards faster. We all agree prices are dropping on most cards. People will logically end up grading less. All of the big 4 expanded their payroll to meet the demand during the boom. I don't think it is a huge leap to think they might need to downsize.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:14 PM

Default Last word for Bob C

BobC-

1) For someone so enamored of words, you are remarkably poor at
understanding them. Multiple posters did in fact provide specific detail
about the speed of their returned submissions. For this next sentence,
read slowly and sound it out: a person/business who performs faster and
better than a competitor, even during a work glut, IS "efficient". It is
really strange that you'd take offense to the word- but it applies.

2) So you know my emotional state now? You're an empath- awesome!
The vast majority of my interactions and comments on net54 have been
for acquiring cards or complimenting them or their owners, and what
you've been reading from me isn't "hate"- nice try though. You are a
creature who is utterly incapable of understanding even basic subtlety or
nuance, so I'll bluntly say your behavior has become that of the "troll".
You even came back to this AFTER the talk turned to other matters. In
other words, look in a mirror, goldfish!

3) For the record, I did NOT "compare you" to Eugene O'Neill. Anyone with
a high double digit IQ could glean that from my comment. Instead, I
picture Alfred E. Neuman when I think of you.

4) Your posterior is mighty chafed, partner. I think you should invest in
some Triple A Gold Bond Medicated for that condition. I've heard it is
efficient!

Trent King
Old 06-26-2022, 04:28 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Bob. Respectfully, and curiously wonder what it tells you?

Are you thinking they are dis-organized and inefficient?
Good God no, I, and no one else in this thread, ever said or implied that SGC was disorganized or inefficient. Quite the contrary, it seemed to be the implication of one poster in this thread that it was PSA that was less organized and/or efficient in relation to SGC, and that that somehow, to that particular poster, helped to explain SGC's fast(er) turnaround times.

What no one else really posting their agreement to what that guy was saying tells me is that no one else truly thinks SGC having a faster turnaround time than PSA really has anything significant to do with SGC's organization or their efficiencies either. Yet he kept posting like he's right, others are wrong, and don't know what they're talking about.

Go back and read what I said in post #13. I surmised that the reason(s) behind ALL the TPG turnaround times recently starting to get faster is most likely due to the TPGs having recently hired/added more graders, or that the number of new submissions coming in each day are dropping below the number of cards they have going out and reducing the TPG's backlogs, or possibly even some combination of those factors. SGC is primarily getting cards turned around faster because they have fewer to grade relative the number of graders they have.

Now go read posts #2, 4, 6, and 9, and see how what they were saying was apparently misunderstood and attacked in posts #5, 7, and 11. I came to the defense of the earlier posters as they did nothing wrong in putting forth some of their thoughts and premises. But in countering their statements, the only facts/arguments the antagonist has given to them or anyone else that I can see is the ridiculous Chick-Fil-A/McDonalds drive thru comparison he made. And that is totally wrong as he makes it sound like ChicK-Fil-A gets food to their customers faster than McDonalds does because they are better organized/efficient, and then transfers that same logic/reasoning to SGC being faster than PSA. The joke is on him though because it is a fairly well-known and documented fact that Chick-Fil-A has the slowest drive thru times in the fast food industry. So how that supports an argument of SGC turnaround times being faster than PSA's is laughable. And of course, he didn't ever respond and explain how it could be relevant, probably because it isn't and never was (and he knows, but won't admit it).
Old 06-26-2022, 04:37 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Clarified

I get it Bob, thanks....

I am just trying to understand (from some of the veteran, quality collector's) if I can get my own mind to believe that SGC is worth the time and trouble to submit at $23 per..

Been thinking for about one year of trying them on a 100 card sub to hit $23 level. That said, of course I am concerned about what their graded value may be if I were to want to flip and sell most of them. We ALL know and agree their sales cannot match other TPGs, and if indeed values in general are dropping, likely not a great time for me to test the SGC waters.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:53 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I chose 1952 topps "gray backs" on their drop down.

They were not labeled as such.

The intern I emailed said they only label red and blacks, not gray backs.

I explained their is a choice in the dropdown menu for this specific variation.

Intern responded it must be a glitch they need to fix.

More than enough for me to never send them another card period.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-26-2022, 05:07 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I chose 1952 topps "gray backs" on their drop down.

They were not labeled as such.

The intern I emailed said they only label red and blacks, not gray backs.

I explained their is a choice in the dropdown menu for this specific variation.

Intern responded it must be a glitch they need to fix.

More than enough for me to never send them another card period.
Huge misstep by SGC. Something more fitting for PSA to do but I know that is not the case.

I like the look of their holder...they used to grade very accurately and fairly but not so much recently from what I have seen. I simply cannot support them because at some point the cards I grade will be sold and while nobody can predict the future, PSA is more of a sure bet for maximizing one's return.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:18 PM
Chr$stopher Pett$

Not wishing to get into a debate, but I do have some anecdotal data to share on this topic. I am predominantly a psa registry set collector with post war master sets for Clemente and Aaron as a focus and other hof sets. I have been submitting vintage cards to sgc for the past 6 months through boca card submissions. They offer a discount of $24 per card group submissions vs $30 per direct per card . The Facebook group shows the specific submitters and numbers etc. SGc has increased their capacity to about 4K cards per day through expansion of physical space and staff over the past year or so. They were consistently running 2-3 week turnaround times for several months for the past 6 months. They are now turning around in a handful of business days. I can see through their page that the volume of group submissions had definitely decreased from 5-600 per day to 2-300 per day. Multiple factors involved here. I think the throughput was increased to 4 k per day for several months and now submission volume is decreasing in 6/2022. Predictioning that they will decrease pricing soon to keep volume at a steady state or decrease overhead
Old 06-26-2022, 07:07 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post

No one ever said or insinuated that SGC is not a highly functional business. Also, no one ever disputed SGC's overall turnaround times are faster than PSA's. But are you honestly suggesting that SGC's organization and efficiency could be the reason that SGC has a faster turnaround time than PSA?

The only real way to get a more true and accurate reflection of either one's turnaround time would be if you could send a similar card in for grading to each of them, that arrives on and at the exact same date and time, and most importantly, neither SGC or PSA has any backlog at all. As such, both cards would be available for immediate examination, grading, encapsulation, and return. That way you really could tell which of the two TPGs, SGC or PSA, actually may have the faster turnaround time due to their respective organizations and efficiency.

Aaahhhhhh, but the problem is they both have backlogs of cards to look at first before looking at the two cards you just sent in to test how fast their turnaround is. And I'm going to go out on an extremely thin limb and guess PSA's backlog is going to be waaaaaayyyyyyyy bigger than SGC's, so you'll probably get your graded card back way faster from SGC than you ever will from PSA. But what the hell does that faster turnaround time have to do with SGC's organization and efficiency then? Most likely not really a damn thing.

The backlog is currently the main thing likely impacting how fast either one of them can turn a card around. And what impacts that backlog, a combination of how many graders they have, how many cards on average each grader can examine every day, and lastly, how many new card submissions you have coming in on average every day. Pretty basic and simple math, more cards coming in every day than going out, the backlog grows, along with the turnaround time. More cards on average going out every day than coming in, the backlog shrinks, as does the turnaround time.

Funny how I don't really see where a TPG's organization and efficiency really have a significant impact on that very simple and basic formula. Especially when talking about SGC and PSA, since they have both been in business for decades now. And as they are both for-profit companies, one would highly expect they have both tweaked their organizations and efficiencies long before now in their efforts to maximize profits, to the point they have their graders going as fast as they can. And even if not for profit, one would logically think both TPGs would have tweaked their organizations to maximize efficiencies first, before even starting to hire more graders, in combatting the huge backlogs these past couple of years.

Now I've given you some logical and sensical business and real life arguments as to what mostly likely impacts these TPG turnaround times. And the fact, as other have posted, that the turnaround times of all TPGs appear to now be going down, is most likely due to a TPG hiring/adding more graders, and/or the number of submissions coming in to them every day on average going down. And there are multiple reasons the submissions could be going down. Among them, overall demand across the hobby for grading cards is going down (possibly influenced by the current economy), pricing differences when one TPG lowers their grading fees and therefore steals submissions from a perceived higher priced competitor, or even the formation and start-up of CSG as a new grading company definitely has them taking some submissions from all the other TPGs, as people in the hobby may want to try out the new TPG on the block.

So having said all this, want to explain to me again how Trent's original premise, that SGC's fast(er) turnaround time versus PSA apparently has something significant to do with their organization and efficiency, is actually as valid as the many points I've outlined and made, along with the logic, common sense, and facts I've presented with them? And by the way, just saying none of us know the truth is not going to cut it in this case. Can you give us any mature, logical, arguments or facts to really support the organization efficiency theory. He sure as hell couldn't/wouldn't.

And for the record, responding to someone's innocuous post and telling them what they said is definitively "very dangerous" implies that someone is potentially subject to harm or loss for merely giving their opinion on this forum. And without further explanation, reasoning or context, such a response can easily be seen and taken as an implied threat. The old carpenter's rule is pretty apropos in this instance - "Measure twice, cut once!". Except in this case it should be - "Think twice, post once!".

Last edited by BobC; 06-27-2022 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:53 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
I get it Bob, thanks....

I am just trying to understand (from some of the veteran, quality collector's) if I can get my own mind to believe that SGC is worth the time and trouble to submit at $23 per..

Been thinking for about one year of trying them on a 100 card sub to hit $23 level. That said, of course I am concerned about what their graded value may be if I were to want to flip and sell most of them. We ALL know and agree their sales cannot match other TPGs, and if indeed values in general are dropping, likely not a great time for me to test the SGC waters.
Hey James,

No sweat just trying to explain where I'm coming from on this topic.

In your situation, I'd have the exact same concern about which TPG to use, if any at all. I think you have to ask yourself if you're really planning to sell, and if so, how soon. As others have mentioned in this thread, TPG turnaround times are dropping, and it is most likely due to decreasing submissions, which as others have also said will probably lead to more lowering of grading prices as competition heats up among TPGs. I don't know the makeup of your collection, or the quality of the cards you're looking to submit, but as you and others have said, you'll most likely get the best prices for your cards when selling from using PSA to grade them.

That said, if there is no dire reason to sell right now, maybe hold off a bit and see if the grading market doesn't continue to promote further competition among the TPGs, and as a result, even lower grading prices going forward. It is possible that by this time next year you may be able to get PSA to grade those cards for you at a much more reasonable cost than now, and closer to what SGC would charge. Obviously can't predict with 100% accuracy, but it would seem that TPG grading prices are way more likely to be going down than up in the foreseeable future.

Also, depending on the quality and desirability of what cards you are looking to sell, you could check with different auction houses that may have an interest in them. They may have a connection with different TPGs and can possibly get you a better/faster grading deal and/or cost if you agree to consign and sell some of your cards through them. Big maybe, but doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck!

Last edited by BobC; 06-27-2022 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:13 AM

Default BobC

BobC- you are a complete idiot. The phrase "very dangerous" in my original
post was CLEARLY a reference to a comment that is logically "dangerous",
meaning "erroneous". You are merely making a pathetic attempt to drum up
support for your insane ramblings and it's not going to work. I didn't make a
direct threat, or an implied threat, of physical danger of ANY kind- and would
not do so.

Go away.

Trent King
Old 06-27-2022, 08:53 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementefanoh View Post
peter spaeth- great question! I agree that psa cards somehow (voodoo/
deals written in blood with underworld creatures??) draw higher sales prices
than their sgc counterparts. Why is that? I will start with why it is not:

1) it is not because of better accuracy or consistency, that's for sure
2) it is not because of sterling customer service
3) it is not because of professionalism or integrity

the best explanation i can come up with, is that psa was "first" in grading. I
am absolutely not saying this makes them best. They just got out ahead of
everyone. I think of a certain lawn mower/farm tractor company that has
been in the american consciousness for decades (their paint is green and
yellow). In my life, the clear worst mower i ever purchased was made by
this company, and it's not close. Yet people keep repeating their tv mantra.
It's familiarity, style over substance. People keep flocking to a restaurant
with a famous arch, despite the meat originating from skunk or opossum
(yes, this is sarcasm). Why do some people keep doing that? It's been
drilled into their skulls forever and they can't shake loose.

I like cards that are graded correctly and consistently. Sgc fits that bill
more than psa ever will. Every single psa i own has been gone over with
a fine tooth comb and, unless there is a seismic change in their character,
always will be. I know my sgc 6 is a 6; however, all i know about a psa 6
that i haven't seen, is that it is likely somewhere between a 1 and a 10.
They sure are rolling in money though

trent king
home run!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2022, 09:58 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

What I would like to know how this influx of new graders at all the TPG'ers are first hired and then trained, obviously a necessity by the flood of new submissions. More to the point, consider the following:
1. What is their experience?, e.g. modern, vintage or pre-war.
2. How are they then placed within the co.?
3. Is there a training program for all new graders?
4. Is there a system of checks and balances for high value cards so they are reviewed by more than one person before determining final grades?
5. Is there an alert system to determine whether any cards may have been submitted by known fraudsters?
6. How are the workflows organized?
And, of course, I would love to see their salary structure for all graders among the big 3.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:41 PM
James

I just sent a card today to SGC, to arrive Wednesday, I am paying for a two day turnaround and 2 day shipment back to me. Looking forward to getting the card back, graded by them. My only experience with PSA was a nightmare.

SGC is prompt in their email response, and assume they will be with the card I sent. Looking forward to this!!! Thanks to this post, decided to pull the trigger with SGC.
Old 07-12-2022, 01:56 PM
Brian May
Bri.an M@y

Holy Schnikies, did SGC just blow me away.

5 card order - all pre-war or 50s HOF.

Order form filled / paid = July 7.
Cards shipped = July 8.
Cards received by SGC = July 10 (yesterday afternoon).
Grades received + shipment notification = July 11 (today, 15 mins ago).

I only paid $30/card, and they basically turned my cards around in a single day.
Old 07-12-2022, 02:05 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum97 View Post
Holy Schnikies, did SGC just blow me away.

5 card order - all pre-war or 50s HOF.

Order form filled / paid = July 7.
Cards shipped = July 8.
Cards received by SGC = July 10 (yesterday afternoon).
Grades received + shipment notification = July 11 (today, 15 mins ago).

I only paid $30/card, and they basically turned my cards around in a single day.
That is crazy fast. Makes a person wonder if yours was there only submission.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:34 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default PSA leadtimes....

Just now heard from my PSA Rep.

My last large bulk rate sub (1000+) sent 3/7/21 is slated to be completed by 9-2022. Basically 1 1/2 year lead time.

I asked what the turnaround tie will be if sent them a 100+ card order at the $18 level...........150 to 180 days.

As mentioned on some other thread in the past few weeks, my 800 card sub to Beckett took almost 20 months.

Now if we could just start paying more for ALL SGC cards and pumping up their value, that ONE day turnaround aforementioned is looking mighty fine..
Old 07-12-2022, 06:00 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That is crazy fast. Makes a person wonder if yours was there only submission.
I just had a similar [great] experience with SGC. I sent them an 1888 OJ, in part because PSA denies their existence. Scott
Old 07-12-2022, 07:19 PM
Chase

I will always take value over turnaround time so for me it is worth the wait for PSA. They also seem to be grading more fairly these days.
Old 07-13-2022, 02:58 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

SGC was turning around submissions in 20 days in Sept 2021 through year-end. There is detailed thread around this time with members sharing their turnaround experience.

they either got 20x more efficient or are seeing 1/20th the business. its the latter. and it isn't good.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 07-13-2022, 05:41 AM

Default SGC grading times

Troutbum97- that's an incredible story, wow. I am part of a submission to
SGC that was to have shipped a week ago. Given your experience, I'm
eager to see what happens with mine...

Regarding the "end goal" for graded cards, mine is accuracy rather than
value. After all, value for extravagant collectibles is speculative over time.
SGC tends to get the grades right (and no, not always!) By the way, the
notion that PSA is grading "more fairly" is just wrong, and a bit homerish.
Seems very much like they and SGC are in a peeing contest to see who
can be harshest, particularly in vintage. There are many adjectives to
use in describing their grading, but "fair" isn't one of them...

I am glad SGC is cranking out submissions- after all, it's what they are paid
to do

Trent King
Old 07-15-2022, 05:13 PM
Joe Hunter

Default SGC is Setting Land Speed Records

Sent 6 cards to SGC on July 7. Got them back this morning (July 15). An 8 day turn-a-round is fantastic. Plus, I thought the grades were accurate.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:18 PM
Eddie Zuercher

I just got an order back today 9 days total time from door to door.
Old 07-15-2022, 10:46 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Unbelievable!

June 21 submission, shipped back to me July 1st.

10 days! Mind boggling!!

Old 07-17-2022, 03:17 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:

Regarding the "end goal" for graded cards, mine is accuracy rather than
value.

Trent King

So is mine. However, having slabs of a defunct grading company won't be worth anything in terms of accuracy. See CSA , GAI, GEM, etc. I am sure these were "accurate" at the time.

Sorry -- I am huge SGC user/supporter but 2-day turnarounds is no way a good thing in the long term.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236

Last edited by Oscar_Stanage; 07-17-2022 at 03:23 AM.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:37 AM
Johnny MaZilli

PSA is getting a lot of business that may have been SGC’s with the $18 per card special this month.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:08 AM

Default Sgc

To Oscar Stanage- whoa, hold on there! GAI, GEM, CSA were "accurate"?
No, that's just wrong, and an odd thing for an SGC supporter to say. The
opposite was and is the case. SGCs legitimacy as an actual grader isn't an
issue, a key difference with those listed above...

To be clear, I don't care what acronym the business uses as long as the
job is done right. I hope CSG /HGA take off, for example. I know there are a
LOT of folks who bank on PSA being held in high regard; however, their
current place on top is not guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination.
This is why I trust a company that tends to get it right. I guess you could
say it's a "gamble", but then again so is throwing all in with PSA...

Original topic- my SGC submission sits at around 10 business days. The
shipment has been noted as received, no grades yet.

Trent King
Old 07-29-2022, 11:25 AM

Default SGC fast returns

Just got my submission back from SGC. Left for SGC on July 5 and at my home
July 29. Very fast, holders look great. Seems the "who can be harder on
vintage?" contest is still in full swing, though. I'm sending tobacco only to SGC
next, as a test for how they treat that era. Trent King
Old 07-29-2022, 11:47 AM

Default An Example ?

Quote:
vintage?" contest is still in full swing, though. I'm sending tobacco only to SGC

. Trent ;..Can you share the pain and show us an undergraded example of the new grading standards ? Thanks.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:49 AM

Default Sgc

Hi Mike- If I can figure out how to do it, I will. Seems like PSA/SGC are being
brutally tough on very slight flaws. Let me see what I can do...Trent King
Old 07-29-2022, 12:26 PM
Patrick

My grades just popped from my latest submission from sgc. Was 7 days to grade a normal submission, super fast

1956 Topps (97/340)
1950 Bowman (178/252)
Virginia T206 SLers (11/12)
T210 Richmond Colts (17/18)
T206 Washington Senators (14/19)
T205 Washington Senators (3/9)
Richmond and Virginia pre war minor leaguers
Old 07-29-2022, 01:01 PM
Chase

Everyone is focusing on how fast they are grading. I never agree with Trent but he raises the key issue I have raised--the accuracy of their grading. Who cares if you get it back quickly or faster than XYZ grading if the card is 2 grades too low.

Trent's experience has been mine, consistently, with SGC. I prefer them to PSA but simply cannot keep getting hammered on the grades one sub after another. In low grade they seem to get it right...5 and lower but they are seeing shit that is simply not there on better condition cards.
Old 07-29-2022, 01:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Granted even a great scan is not as reliable as having a card in hand, but I am seeing countless cards from both PSA and SGC that look 1-2 grades low even if one allows that old school grading has tightened up. Against that backdrop, being gleeful about grading speed seems unwarranted.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-29-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:17 PM

Default Sgc

Gentlemen- to be clear, the vast majority of cards I buy are already slabbed.
Therefore, "speed" is not commonly an issue, it's the grading. It's
my experience that SGC is the more consistent grader than PSA, a topic
separate from speed of submissions. Currently I would say people know SGC
will be strict on vintage consistently, whereas PSA will be more "all over the
map". The topic in this thread has been speed, so I addressed that topic
first. Given the choice of waiting 6 months plus for cards whose grades are
up in the air, or a month for those I now know will be tight, I'll take the
month every time...

I'll also observe that my most recent submission was all vintage, and was
basically a test case. There is no question SGC is being far more exacting on
vintage than in previous years. Why? You tell me, I'd like to know In the
meantime I'll keep doing 90% of my buys as I have been- previously
slabbed cards.

The cards I am submitting next are all tobacco, where (in my opinion) SGC
clearly grades more accurately and has done so for quite some time. I'm
curious to see a) turnaround time per this post's topic and b) if SGC is
tightening up on tobacco too. I have an idea what grade each card should
bring and am eager to see if SGC agrees/is close. I think my tobacco
"self grades" will line up closely with SGCs slabbed grades, certainly more
than my vintage examples. We shall see... Trent King
Old 07-29-2022, 02:50 PM
Chase

Quote:
Gentlemen- to be clear, the vast majority of cards I buy are already slabbed.
Therefore, "speed" is not commonly an issue, it's the grading. It's
my experience that SGC is the more consistent grader than PSA, a topic
separate from speed of submissions. Currently I would say people know SGC
will be strict on vintage consistently, whereas PSA will be more "all over the
map". The topic in this thread has been speed, so I addressed that topic
first. Given the choice of waiting 6 months plus for cards whose grades are
up in the air, or a month for those I now know will be tight, I'll take the
month every time...

I'll also observe that my most recent submission was all vintage, and was
basically a test case. There is no question SGC is being far more exacting on
vintage than in previous years. Why? You tell me, I'd like to know In the
meantime I'll keep doing 90% of my buys as I have been- previously
slabbed cards.

The cards I am submitting next are all tobacco, where (in my opinion) SGC
clearly grades more accurately and has done so for quite some time. I'm
curious to see a) turnaround time per this post's topic and b) if SGC is
tightening up on tobacco too. I have an idea what grade each card should
bring and am eager to see if SGC agrees/is close. I think my tobacco
"self grades" will line up closely with SGCs slabbed grades, certainly more
than my vintage examples. We shall see... Trent King
I respect that opinion and your choice. I guess TAT to me is not that critical. While I love the SGC holder for me it is more about the ROI when/if I go to sell. I much prefer to have an under graded PSA card to sell than an under graded SGC card.

I would be interested in hearing your experience with the T cards, if you do not mind updating us.
Old 07-29-2022, 04:18 PM

Default Sgc

Lorewalker- yes, I'll do my best to update. I expect to submit in the very
near future. It'll be a couple T206 and an E101- no rares or HOF, this is just
a test run. I apparently have a better sense of how tobacco will grade than
vintage, so we will see how that plays out this time. Trent King
Old 07-29-2022, 04:24 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Everyone is focusing on how fast they are grading. I never agree with Trent but he raises the key issue I have raised--the accuracy of their grading. Who cares if you get it back quickly or faster than XYZ grading if the card is 2 grades too low.

Trent's experience has been mine, consistently, with SGC. I prefer them to PSA but simply cannot keep getting hammered on the grades one sub after another. In low grade they seem to get it right...5 and lower but they are seeing shit that is simply not there on better condition cards.
Learned this cardinal rule when I first started working with businesses 40=50 years ago, especially those providing services.

FAST - ACCURATE - CHEAP

Pick two!

And the truth in that statement still hasn't changed till this day, and likely never will.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:11 PM
Chase

Quote:
Lorewalker- yes, I'll do my best to update. I expect to submit in the very
near future. It'll be a couple T206 and an E101- no rares or HOF, this is just
a test run. I apparently have a better sense of how tobacco will grade than
vintage, so we will see how that plays out this time. Trent King
Best of luck!

Quote:
Learned this cardinal rule when I first started working with businesses 40=50 years ago, especially those providing services.

FAST - ACCURATE - CHEAP

Pick two!

And the truth in that statement still hasn't changed till this day, and likely never will.
Bob I would take 1 out of 3 and be thrilled. The bar has been lowered.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:34 PM
Ben North

Quote:

FAST - ACCURATE - CHEAP

Pick two!

It seems that SGC hits all three and PSA in zero for three.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:46 AM
T0m P00n

Yikes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22F1DC89-6412-4F98-8125-0EE2DFA59BCB.jpg (135.0 KB, 149 views)
Old 08-02-2022, 10:49 AM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Wow! 10 days. West Coast to East Coast & back! Including mail delivery.