NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-04-2004, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Default Terminology definition

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Hi all,

I realize that a card in pretty worn condition is termed Very Good, and one that is hardly presentable is a card which is called "in good condition". Is it also true that when a grading service states that a card is found to be of questionable authenticity, it is a fake (reprint, etc.)?

Are there other hobby terms, which are potentially misleading, that a less experienced collector should be aware of in order to make informed choices?

Thank you,
Gil

Old 08-04-2004, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

To me, a card that is hardly presentable would be termed "poor", or as I like to call them "piece of sh*t"...

Old 08-04-2004, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scottopotamus

I think the problem arises from novices (even more than me!) when they try to judge a card’s condition. A card listed in “excellent” condition might actually be in excellent condition in that person’s mind, considering the card is almost 100 years old. Unfortunately, the card hobby does not allow for depreciation!

An overwhelming majority of my craptacular T206 collection is listed in “fair” condition, meaning they only spent a few days in the spokes of a bicycle.

Scottoptamus
My T206 Web Site

http://www.freewebs.com/scottopotamus

Old 08-04-2004, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I suggest you visit the websites of the top grading companies and then look in Beckett and SCD....after reviewing all of those definitions of grades you will know the standards. The other standard is the "dealer" standard. Most of the times the dealer standard is about a 1/2 grade to 3 grades high....imo....take care and good luck......ps....a fake or reprint is not graded....and is usually worthless.....

Old 08-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Gentlemen,

The intent of this post was not a discussion about grading. Perhaps I should have not included my first sentence.

However, I agree that cards which may be hardly presentable to some, may be highly desirable to others. Heck, some of my best days - I am hardly presentable. But Id like to think that my wife overlooks most of that.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

To repeat Leon, different grading companies have different rules of grading. PSA, for instance, will grade a card as clean when there is writing on it. The grade will be modified with MK, which means it is marked. Other companies will lower the grade, typically 2 points (on the PSA scale) for marking. It makes a big difference whether this is included in the grade or not.

Cards may be rejected for grading for many reasons other than reprint. With the exception of PRO (don't go there), grading companies will reject trimmed cards, or ones that have been bleached. This can be checked with a black light. Adding material to hide loss is not allowed.

Other flaws are mis-cut (MC) and off-center (OC) that may modify the grade, or just be noted as a grade qualifier. You'll see NQ sometimes on ebay - this means a "clean" grade, no qualifiers.

Old 08-04-2004, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

Old 08-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_5.html

Old 08-04-2004, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

Grading services are a good voice to listen to in terms of authenticty. Of course you should seek the opinion of other collectors- if you are not strictly a computer buyer!.. But you also must trust you instincts and not get caught up in grading terminology. Use the eyes God gave you and judge for yourself what is considered 'decent' condition..Bringing your questions to this forum is a major step in the right direction for your future vintage collecting..