NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Default Question on seller's responsibility..

Posted By: Rob L

Hey all,

Just curious as to what you might think. I sold this 1860's baseball cabinet last week on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220104290400&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:US:1

The buyer received it yesterday and emailed me indicating that there were a couple of creases that I didn't mention in my description and would I discount it or should he send it back. I responded that I included large pictures, both front and back, and it clearly shows all flaws, but I agreed to refund him the full amount when he sends his back. Although the point is moot, aren't the included pictures enough to determine the condition?

Just curious.

Rob L

Old 05-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

The creases are obvious. Given the quality of the scans provided I don't think any further description is required. Of note however is the lack of a return policy. Unless stated I think it could be inferred that a "satisfaction guaranteed" policy would apply.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob B.

Now that I know it's creased and have looked at the back scans, I can find them and understand your side. But just looking at the front scan, and since no crease was mentioned in the description, you might consider being a little flexible. That's my neutral opinion. Bob

Old 05-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

I agree and have no problem offering a full refund which is what I have always done. I just thought the excuse was a little weak.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rand

sounds like buyers remorse to me. the scans show the card, you did not give the card a grade, if you would have stated ex or better than i could see a problem. the bidder could have asked about condition issues way before the end of the auction. you were kind to oblige the buyer.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

I think your scans are fine, but detailing any creases in writing would help.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 05-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

If the wrinkles the buyer is complaining about are in the auction images, the seller is at no fault. Obviously, the images provided were very detailed-- and the seller pays extra $$ to provide images that large.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

I have to agree with Bob's assessment. Oversized scans are nice but a written note would have clarified the description.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mr. moses

To begin with I applaud you for doing the right thing. If you are the type of seller that wants to sell things above board and continue to do so; you made the right choice to refund the money. I always tried to stand behind what I sold. While it may have been buyer's remorse or any number of reasons that precipitated the cards return, your description was in fact inadequate and your lack of a return policy exposed you unnecessarily to this. To begin with I looked at your scans, and while there are two strange radiating lines on the back of the CDV (the only place where there is the suggestion of a crease or creases), they might just as easily be stains or something else. Agreed that a smart or prudent BUYER should ask the right questions (especially for something selling for more than a couple of dollars), but it is incumbent on the seller to share a material fact like that. Second, not spelling out a return or no return policy is helpful AND I would put it in my description AS WELL as the proper section. Of course if it is your intent NOT to allow any returns, you should be prepared to get LESS money for the item in general and if it's to ACCEPT returns, you need to directly address the specific terms. If you look at most baseball card listings, nearly every one states "no returns on graded cards". Period.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I would like to mention that Henry (hi Henry) not only talks the talk, he walks the walk. When I first got into collecting, about 8-9 years ago I bought a Mayo baseball common from Mr.Moses on ebay. I got it and sent it to SGC and it came back trimmed. It was over 3 months old. I told Henry and all he said was something like "I am sorry for the issue please send it back for an immediate refund." I will never forget that great service. best regards

Old 05-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

Obviously the seller is doing the right thing here, but I share his puzzlement with the buyer. Remorse seems like a possibility.

If I were going to spend over $500 on something as old and unique as that photo, I seriously doubt I'd be worried about a couple of small flaws that are visible in the scan. It's not like he's going to see a PSA 8 example next week on ebay!

Old 05-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

With respect to a disclaimer "I accept no returns," I have sold a lot of cards over the years on ebay and have never included these words, not even on slabbed cards. I have had almost no requests for returns but when I did I refunded the money regardless of who was right or wrong. That said, I would have written that the card had creases but terrific eye appeal. That coupled with the back scan should have been enough.
What I hate is a card (like I received the other day) which shows a great scan with no visible signs of creases or wrinkles although the seller included in the copy that there were two light creases. When I got the card, the creases were obvious but from the scan I saw nothing (in the words of Sgt. Schultz). I kept the card and learned yet one more lesson...

Old 05-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I believe the seller did nothing wrong. A bit weak on description maybe. In my mind, anyone delving into this type of material, should know what they are getting into, and what they are buying. The scan was acceptable. But if in fact the buyer and seller can peacefully agree on a return, or a discount, that is between them. If the buyer returns the item in exactly the same condition as it was when it was sent, then the seller should gracefully accept, and it then can be relisted. In my opinion the seller was fair. We will never know the buyers motives. Maybe they are honorable. We can never know. Beautiful photo. The selling price was very fair also. I wish I had it..