NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 06:09 PM
Tom

Default Capitol attacked

What a day!
Old 01-07-2021, 06:12 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

How will this thread end? Hmm
Old 01-07-2021, 06:42 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I misread the Title.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index.jpg (12.8 KB, 294 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-07-2021, 08:05 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

This subject may teeter on the edge of politics. Some of the great people on here may drop their guard and say something against the rules. Perhaps it would be better if Leon locks this thread and despite the unpleasantness we try to focus on our passions in the collecting world.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 01-07-2021, 08:15 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Personally, I have found it rather difficult to ignore yesterday's events and instead focus on the hobby. I wonder if other board members have had a similar difficulty.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:59 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Personally, I have found it rather difficult to ignore yesterday's events and instead focus on the hobby. I wonder if other board members have had a similar difficulty.

You're not alone Matthew; I feel the same way.

All we can do is keep pushing forward and try to help with the healing we all so desperately need.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 01-07-2021 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:49 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Yes, impossible to ignore. I work in D.C. If not for the current situation and working from home I would have run smack dab into it. Yes, it does bother me greatly. I take a deep breath, thank God I am alive every day and keep on doing what I need to do; take care of myself and my wife.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 01-07-2021, 09:57 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

-deleted

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 01-08-2021 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:37 AM
Rick

I believe the country will rebound from it all. It definitely sobered up some people.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:37 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I misread the Title.
Any day Tom Wilson gets his ass whooped can't be too bad
Old 01-08-2021, 08:25 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (22.2 KB, 250 views)
Old 01-08-2021, 08:48 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
I believe the country will rebound from it all. It definitely sobered up some people.
And it has me thinking about drinking.

<Airplane mod> I guess I picked a bad week to start dieting. </Airplane mod>

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 01-08-2021, 10:05 AM
Wayne V

Default Entitlement ?

It's amazing that people would do something as terrible as what these people did - completely trashing the Capitol, and our Democracy at the same time, and they don't even hide their faces.They freely give out their names, and post all of their illegal, terrible deeds on social networks.
They think their actions will have no repercussions for them ? Five people are already dead. No biggie ?
As someone commented on National television, the sense of entitlement that these people have is amazing.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:24 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
In response: I'm hoping the rebound includes bipartisan legislation for at least 12 months. Wouldn't that be nice? But I'm probably dreaming.

I'm a history/civics teacher. My students had lots of questions. My answer was the same that it always is:

1) Rhetoric has consequences. Rhetoric inflates inflates inflates, and then bursts. Then the process repeats.

2) Politics is a game. And if you always look at it like a game, you understand politicians have strategies to accomplish things. Yesterday was a failed strategy. Was it ugly? Yes. Is it a black eye? Yes. Will people learn from it? Hopefully. But the strategies will change now, and people will use different tactics to continue to play the game. The strategies for the Georgia senate race had winners and losers. The strategies for the Presidential election had winners and losers. The GOP is making a new strategy beginning to today. The Democrats are making a new strategy to help President Biden. And tomorrow the sun will rise, and the sun will set, and politics will continue.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 01-08-2021, 10:46 AM
Wayne V

Default Not a game

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
In response: I'm hoping the rebound includes bipartisan legislation for at least 12 months. Wouldn't that be nice? But I'm probably dreaming.

I'm a history/civics teacher. My students had lots of questions. My answer was the same that it always is:

1) Rhetoric has consequences. Rhetoric inflates inflates inflates, and then bursts. Then the process repeats.

2) Politics is a game. And if you always look at it like a game, you understand politicians have strategies to accomplish things. Yesterday was a failed strategy. Was it ugly? Yes. Is it a black eye? Yes. Will people learn from it? Hopefully. But the strategies will change now, and people will use different tactics to continue to play the game. The strategies for the Georgia senate race had winners and losers. The strategies for the Presidential election had winners and losers. The GOP is making a new strategy beginning to today. The Democrats are making a new strategy to help President Biden. And tomorrow the sun will rise, and the sun will set, and politics will continue.
I think you are trivializing what happened. People died. Many more people, including Senators and U S Representatives, had good reason to be in fear for their lives.
Also, what happened caused great damage to our Democracy. That is no little thing.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:45 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballsun View Post
It's amazing that people would do something as terrible as what these people did - completely trashing the Capitol, and our Democracy at the same time, and they don't even hide their faces.They freely give out their names, and post all of their illegal, terrible deeds on social networks.
They think their actions will have no repercussions for them ? Five people are already dead. No biggie ?
As someone commented on National television, the sense of entitlement that these people have is amazing.
Change the word Capitol to cities, police stations, courthouses and churches and you could be describing Antifa. Of course then there would be way more than 5 dead.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:37 PM

Political threads in here are great for letting us know whom to add to our "Ignore" list.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl

Last edited by Butch7999; 01-08-2021 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:48 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
Political threads in here are great for letting us know whom to add to our "Ignore" list.
Part of what caused this is people only listening to news/information/ideas from one source or type of source.

Don't be part of creating the next problem.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:44 PM
Wayne V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Change the word Capitol to cities, police stations, courthouses and churches and you could be describing Antifa. Of course then there would be way more than 5 dead.
Any criminal acts, especially those that result in deaths, should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. It doesn't matter who committed those acts. Whoever did it, they should always be prosecuted.
That is something we should all be able to agree on.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:13 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Any criminal acts, especially those that result in deaths, should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. It doesn't matter who committed those acts. Whoever did it, they should always be prosecuted.
That is something we should all be able to agree on.
Of course
Old 01-08-2021, 04:23 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
I think you are trivializing what happened. People died. Many more people, including Senators and U S Representatives, had good reason to be in fear for their lives.
Also, what happened caused great damage to our Democracy. That is no little thing.
My previous post was an attempt to be apolitical, without breaking rules of this forum. I don't mean to trivialize the situation, or to lessen the fear. Our country is deeply divided right now. My personal opinion is that this isn't the event that will snap us back into cooperation and compromise.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 01-08-2021, 05:25 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

A Solemn Moment Prayer's for the Family of Brian D. Sicknick , the U.S. Capitol Police officer who died Thursday in the Washington, D.C., riot was a South River N.J. native, My home town were I grew up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7ced24e8-745e-4a46-99d1-e8e57faf27ad-sicknick.jpg (17.2 KB, 220 views)
Old 01-08-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Please don't bring logic and reason into this discussion.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:53 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Please don't bring logic and reason into this discussion.
Don't worry, he didn't.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Part of what caused this is people only listening to news/information/ideas from one source or type of source.

Don't be part of creating the next problem.
True. But "alternative facts" are not news, baseless rumours are not information, and baldfaced lies are not ideas.
There's little point in wasting our time listening to hate-fueled ignorance unless the object is to lower our IQs even further.
Besides, we read and hear the "digest" version of the indigestible cluelessness and bigotry out there anyway,
as reliably and more succinctly reported by actual honest-to-gosh news outlets, no need to have that
undiluted stupidity vomited at us at tedious full length like our mum's radio does when we visit her.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 01-09-2021, 09:25 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
Don't worry, he didn't.
I'm sorry I forgot, Antifa is just an idea and they are "mostly peaceful "
Old 01-09-2021, 10:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As much as I would like a discussion about this stuff I just don't think it can stay apolitical. We all have our own views. Hopefully, at least everyone can agree that what we saw, for whatever reason, was appalling. Back to cards please.