NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-26-2017, 05:02 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Always feels good to find one you didn't have. I am interested in this style of pin and would love to see other examples.
I have a very rare Washington example of that pin.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:42 PM
Rob

I am beyond thrilled to add this PM-10, courtesy of a Net54 member. I have been searching for this guy for 25 years! With the Giants, and perhaps with other teams, the non-stars can be nearly impossible to find. At any given time, there are usually 10-20 various Willie Mays PM-10s on ebay along with maybe a couple of McCoveys. Marichal and Hart appear occassionally. The other Giants...rarely to never.

I still need Jose Pagan. I've never seen one available and know of two in collections. Billy Pierce? I lost out on the only one I've ever seen. Mike McCormick? Al and Paul left me in the dust of their bidding war.

I get that the Mays pins were sold in much greater quantities than any other player. Still, at 50 cents per pin, I would think certain kids would have amassed the complete set of around 20 players. If they did, those pins seem to have disappeared. Oh well, I guess it makes days like today even sweeter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-01-31 04.02.12.jpg (75.7 KB, 359 views)
Old 01-31-2018, 02:03 PM
Al

Very nice! Keep searching your bound to find the others at some point.... Like Mike Wolfe said Thanks for putting a price on it!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 01-31-2018, 02:08 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Very nice! Keep searching your bound to find the others at some point....
I dunno, Al....I’m no spring chicken.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:31 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I dunno, Al....I’m no spring chicken.
Well that is true! Nice funny little story on that note. I go down to this little antique store about 20 minutes from my new house. Became a little friendly with the owner of the place. A nice older southern gentleman about 77 years old. Sharp as a tack. You wont get anything by this guy. Man owns about 10 buildings all along this one road. In one of the buildings its like a seen out of American Pickers you walk in and its his own collection! Signs, gas pumps,toys, Glass, and all high end stuff! Man has no children was never married and really has no one to give it to. Another guy walks in and you can see his jaw just drop as the items are great! Sees a really nice sign and makes (Freddie) an offer. says no.. makes him another offer fairly high says no. Makes him one final offer Freddie says I really dont care if I sell it or not but I will pass. The guy starts to get a little angry and says to him(this is a true story) Man I offered you more than the sign was worth you know you cant take all this stuff with you, you know... Freddie turns to him and calmly says you know last time I checked I couldnt take the 500 dollars you offered with me also.... I turned around and laughed my ass off when I went out side!!!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Last edited by batsballsbases; 01-31-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:07 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
I am beyond thrilled to add this PM-10, courtesy of a Net54 member. I have been searching for this guy for 25 years! With the Giants, and perhaps with other teams, the non-stars can be nearly impossible to find. At any given time, there are usually 10-20 various Willie Mays PM-10s on ebay along with maybe a couple of McCoveys. Marichal and Hart appear occassionally. The other Giants...rarely to never.

I still need Jose Pagan. I've never seen one available and know of two in collections. Billy Pierce? I lost out on the only one I've ever seen. Mike McCormick? Al and Paul left me in the dust of their bidding war.

I get that the Mays pins were sold in much greater quantities than any other player. Still, at 50 cents per pin, I would think certain kids would have amassed the complete set of around 20 players. If they did, those pins seem to have disappeared. Oh well, I guess it makes days like today even sweeter!
Congrats Rob. Great feeling isn't it? I'm always curious why certain pins are so scarce. If I'm looking correctly, Paul did not have the Haller and it was not listed in Becketts Number 2 guide.

Based on the pins in his book, I would speculate Paul purchased the 2 lots of PM10 pins from the Christie's East auction in 1993. This was the Roger Steckler collection which contained a lot of scarce pins. Those 200+ PM10 pins match up well with his book including these particular Giant pins.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 01-31-2018, 04:23 PM
Rob

Quote:
Congrats Rob. Great feeling isn't it?
For sure!

Quote:
Based on the pins in his book, I would speculate Paul purchased the 2 lots of PM10 pins from the Christie's East auction in 1993. This was the Roger Steckler collection which contained a lot of scarce pins. Those 200+ PM10 pins match up well with his book including these particular Giant pins.
Interesting. 1993 was my first year of collecting, after being a Giants fan for about 30 years prior. Do you have any recollection of what the 200+ PM-10s went for in 1993?
Old 01-31-2018, 04:36 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
For sure!

Interesting. 1993 was my first year of collecting, after being a Giants fan for about 30 years prior. Do you have any recollection of what the 200+ PM-10s went for in 1993?
I have a price sheet from the auction. Those two lots went for $7360.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:02 PM
Rob

Quote:
I have a price sheet from the auction. Those two lots went for $7360.
I wouldn’t have been a player.....especially in 1993.....but $37 per pin ain’t bad!
Old 01-31-2018, 06:14 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
I wouldn’t have been a player.....especially in 1993.....but $37 per pin ain’t bad!
Especially when you consider several of the pins are very rare.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:53 PM
Mikeknapp

I recently pick up this one up. It is rather pedestrian but fits my collections well. I haven't one before I assume it was a vendor's pin?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Three_Rivers.jpg (48.6 KB, 410 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 02-08-2018, 07:36 AM
Mike

Sweet pin Mike.

Mike
Old 02-14-2018, 12:52 AM
Bob Andrews

I collect pins, sports and otherwise. I actually have far more presidential campaign pins than baseball ones. But here are some I have pics of.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:20 AM

Here's a couple of pins I recently picked up.Obviously the NAACP pin isn't baseball related,but it's a pin that's pretty hard to find.
I have a collection of pins but most aren't sports related.I collect mostly 60's and 70's types of pins.Counterculture,Vietnam,Civil Rights and Music are my main focus:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180214_0001_NEW.jpg (64.1 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180214_0002_NEWii.jpg (59.0 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180214_0001_NEW5uo7.jpg (62.9 KB, 349 views)
Old 02-14-2018, 07:41 AM
Mike

Nice vintage pins!

Mike
Old 02-15-2018, 10:54 AM

Here's a couple more pins.The Orioles pin is pretty new(probably 1970's),but it's different than any other Orioles pins I've seen.

I was thinking about starting a non-sports pinback thread in the "Post War and Water Cooler talk" section.Would anyone else be interested in that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180215_0001_NEW.jpg (63.5 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180215_0002_NEWt7eo.jpg (30.7 KB, 315 views)
Old 02-15-2018, 11:46 AM

Default Non-Sports Pinbacks

I've sold most of my better ones but I can contribute some for sure...
Old 02-16-2018, 07:46 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtiques View Post
Here's a couple more pins.The Orioles pin is pretty new(probably 1970's),but it's different than any other Orioles pins I've seen.

I was thinking about starting a non-sports pinback thread in the "Post War and Water Cooler talk" section.Would anyone else be interested in that?
Great pins!

Mike
Old 02-16-2018, 10:34 AM

Here's a couple of my favorite pre-war pins...

Old 02-16-2018, 08:20 PM
Val Kehl

Here's another PM1 pin:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PM1 pin - WaJo - front.jpg (58.5 KB, 268 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:29 PM

Val,

The PM1 set is a gorgeous set. I'd love to put the set together, but I don't think my wife would be too happy with me.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Here's another PM1 pin:
Unreal pin, Val! Very cool.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:37 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
Val,

The PM1 set is a gorgeous set. I'd love to put the set together, but I don't think my wife would be too happy with me.
You certainly have a great start with the Wags! And, I like your Diamond Gum - Wags even more than your PM1. The pair of them is truly spectacular!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:31 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

The PM1 pins certainly are beautiful. I had four
ARCHER (NAME)
CHANCE (NAME)
REUBACK
TINKER
and they now rest in my daughter's hand. She saw them and wanted them so I gave them to her as my wife has no idea about my collection and I didn't want them just tossed.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:17 AM
Rob

Question: Are there “PM” pins of every number designation from 1-10? If so, I would love for someone to post one picture from each series. I realize no one may collect them all, since they apparently span many years.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Question: Are there “PM” pins of every number designation from 1-10? If so, I would love for someone to post one picture from each series. I realize no one may collect them all, since they apparently span many years.
In the Sports Collectors Bible they describe PM 1 through 11, and 14-15. Apparently they skipped 12 and 13.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:33 PM
Rob

Quote:
In the Sports Collectors Bible they describe PM 1 through 11, and 14-15. Apparently they skipped 12 and 13.
Is that a book worth having? I see I can pick it up very cheap on Amazon.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:40 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Is that a book worth having? I see I can pick it up very cheap on Amazon.
I think any collector should have a copy in their reference library. Especially if you can obtain a good copy for a few bucks.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:49 PM
Jay Cee

Wagner, Johnson, and now Cobb. Long live the PM1s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7085.jpg (62.5 KB, 252 views)
Old 02-18-2018, 08:16 PM
Val Kehl

Rob, here's a PM6 for ya:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PM6 1928 - WaJo - front.jpg (15.9 KB, 251 views)
Old 02-19-2018, 07:47 AM
Mike

Gorgeous pins.

Mike
Old 02-26-2018, 11:12 AM
Rob

To most, this would not be too exciting. But for someone (me) with 800+ Giants pins and a wantlist of 50 others, it's always cool when I can pick up a pin I've never seen before!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-02-26 01.41.09.jpg (74.9 KB, 792 views)
Old 02-27-2018, 07:22 AM
Mike

Great pin Rob!

Mike
Old 03-22-2018, 01:54 PM
Rob

This may be exciting only to me....but I'm happy.

I've been looking for the Opening Day 1994 pin forever. The others turn up with a little bit of regularity but for some reason the 1994 is as scarce as hen's teeth. The Giants Opening Day lot from Paul Muchinsky that Hakes just sold didn't even have it. There is also a 3" variety from 1985. I'm not sure if these were team issued or "parking lot" pins. I have put out a feeler to a guy who should know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-03-22 03.24.10.jpg (80.6 KB, 720 views)
Old 03-22-2018, 08:21 PM

Default Diamond Gum PE2 Pins

Just added the Carrigan to go with the Ira Thomas PE2. Red Dooin is the only other catcher in the set.

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CARRIGANPE2.jpg (36.7 KB, 715 views)
File Type: jpg THOMASPE2.jpg (35.4 KB, 717 views)
Old 03-23-2018, 09:28 AM
Mike

That's a gorgeous collection Rob!

Mike
Old 03-26-2018, 06:01 AM
Mikeknapp

I finally landed this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180326_045849.jpg (33.8 KB, 693 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

Old 03-26-2018, 07:16 AM
Al

Nice pick up Mike I was watching that one... I have it also but to find one lately without being all scratched up is getting hard. As we know its a tin litho pin and scratches easy ... Enjoy it..

Old 03-26-2018, 08:14 AM
Mike

Sweet Clemente pin Mike.

Mike
Old 03-26-2018, 09:00 AM
Mikeknapp

Thanks Al, I over paid but I am pleased to have obtained it.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:41 AM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Thanks Al, I over paid but I am pleased to have obtained it.
If you're happy you didn't overpay. It's a great pin.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Mike Reid

Picked these up awhile ago and sent them to PSA. Hopefully I will have them by the time the National starts. Really excited to add these to the Kaline collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B1481902-DF71-42B3-9560-6C0F48598BE8.jpg (20.1 KB, 814 views)
Old 03-27-2018, 10:05 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
i finally landed this one
sweet!!!
Old 03-27-2018, 10:08 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 View Post
Picked these up awhile ago and sent them to PSA. Hopefully I will have them by the time the National starts. Really excited to add these to the Kaline collection.
No offense meant, but sending these types of pins to PSA is a waste of both time and money in my opinion. They are what they are.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:31 PM
Mike

What do you guys store your pins in? As I collect more pin backs I want to be able to store and protect them. I use a bulletin board for my pins I pick up at games and in stores, but i doubt that's a good place for the older pin backs.

Mike
Old 04-11-2018, 08:33 PM
Mikeknapp

Thought I'd bump this thread back to the first page. I generally don't venture in pins not related to the 1970-1973 Pirates I came across this one and decided that at $10 I couldn't go wrong. It's the first one I have encountered outside of Paul Muchinsky's book which dates it to the mid 1960s.

Last edited by 71buc; 04-13-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:38 PM
Jim H

C133D696-ABFC-4EA7-A8EF-43AD76FDC75E.jpg

153F4FEA-C56B-4B62-B4C1-F295E4B19C6B.jpg

My Tiger button collection
Old 05-21-2018, 02:02 PM
Rob

I've been aware of this pin for 25 years but never saw one for sale. It dates from 1983-86. I still need the Krukow (also unseen for 25 years) to complete the set. Speaking of 25 years, that's how long it's been since any licensed Giants photo pins have been produced (1993). The last set I know of was Bonds, Clark, Thompson and Williams. Any pins you might see of Bumgarner, Posey, Lincecum, etc. are all bootlegs.

Side note on Hammaker: not exactly an exalted Giant. He is the ONLY pitcher to ever give up a grand slam in an All Star game and lost game 7 of the 1987 NLCS when Roger Craig probably should have started Krukow. To add to the ignominy of the 1983 AS game, fat Tommy Lasorda waddled out to the mound to pull Atlee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0384.jpg (66.4 KB, 651 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0359.jpg (77.0 KB, 645 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0385.jpg (82.4 KB, 646 views)
Old 06-07-2018, 07:07 PM
Rob

A couple of blurry pictures to make you think "If only I....."

Second photo is a screenshot was a 1962 World Series video I found. Check out the stacks of megaphones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pm10vendors_1.jpg (76.7 KB, 589 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 10.56.18 AM.jpg (66.0 KB, 598 views)
Old 06-07-2018, 07:54 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
A couple of blurry pictures to make you think "If only I....."

Second photo is a screenshot was a 1962 World Series video I found. Check out the stacks of megaphones.
Here’s a couple of more “If only I....”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CE74033C-97B8-4430-8D5D-650853B41230.jpg (19.5 KB, 588 views)
File Type: jpg 8545E247-C40F-49B4-8F62-26623E84D99B.jpg (18.2 KB, 588 views)