NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Default W-unc 1920's strip game card- Gehrig

Posted By: leon

I picked this up at the National. It's on heavy cardboard and is about 1.5" x 2.5"....Anyone have an idea what it's from or seen another? Any help is appreciated....I got it from Steve Verkman........I had seen it before but thought it was a little more than I wanted to pay...so at the National Steve and I made a deal that I don't think would have been made behind a keyboard. Here's a very short story.... John Ramirez and I had breakfast at the National one morning. He asked how it was going and I said that all of my sales had been to folks I know. My question was why do I need a show/national to sell to my friends? He made a good point in saying that maybe the deals were made because we are in a different frame of mind, and a ripe venue, somewhat. (I don't think those were his exact words but that was the implication) We're there ready to try to make something happen. That doesn't always happen over the net......sorry for rambling but really...any help with this will be most appreciated and the bearer of such information will be looked on favorably

Old 08-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Leon, it is part of the set I call "ca.1929 W-Unc. Hand Drawn Playing Card Strip Cards".

This is the info I have....

The ca.1929 cards (Hogan, McWeeny) are a fairly crude hand drawn playing card style card and printed in black, red, and white. These newly cataloged cards are 1.6" by 2.6" with a blank back and are very rare. About 4-5 different players including a Ruth (5 of Diamonds) and Gehrig (5 of Hearts) have been seen in this set.

Here is old info with a picture of the Ruth

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1138433858/Found+pics+of+2+more

Back then Lemke wouldnt add the Ruth to the checklist in the SCD because he needed a scan of it (???)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1138651910/last-1138653798/W+Unc+Playing+cards

Old 08-12-2006, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Thanks Frank. I guess I need to slow down a little. I, in fact, do have the Hogan card that I got from you, from the same series. I just missed it. I asked SGC if they would grade mine when we were at the National. They told me they need to find out more about it. I think this thread might do it.....though now I am not positive I want it graded . Since you brought up the old Lipset Four Base Hit auction brochure/catalogue can you tell me if that was the one where my Four Base Hit Kelly was the headliner? I could swear that's where it came from but lost that one auction rag. Another good friend swears it wasn't bought from him.....(I bought it from another board member in a private deal after that auction, regardless if it was in there).....regards