NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-15-2021, 06:01 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default A Curious Tale of Rick Barry...

I ran across this overburdened by Rick Barry 1975 Team Leaders card on eBay, and something jumped out at me. There are three images of the Hall of Famer, but only two different photos. If you look at the Rick Barry totem pole on the left side, you'll see that the low man on it shows the actual, intended image. But if you look at the pic above it, you'll see that Topps got all sorts of crafty. They done '1957hankaaroned' the image!! It's the same shot, just flipped!! The weird combover goes to his right and then to his left. And to add to their unbridled cleverness, they made sure to crop the picture differently, so the backwards "GOLDEN STATE" wouldn't give away the ruse.

Bravo!! Bravo!!

s-l1600-17.jpg

Now please return to your normal lives.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:58 PM
Albert Bee

Default Barry

Oh comb over ??, hugely popular in 70s
Old 12-16-2021, 06:34 AM
John P0we11

Smile

I thought you had to be bald/balding to pull off the C.O? To me, that’s more of what the kids are calling a “ Paddy Pimblet” just brushed to the side a bit for aesthetics what whatnot....
Old 12-16-2021, 07:26 AM
J0hn Collin$

I have never seen that card and must admit, that's pretty funny. Thanks Jolly!
Old 12-16-2021, 11:19 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Great observation. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:08 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I ran across this overburdened by Rick Barry 1975 Team Leaders card on eBay, and something jumped out at me. There are three images of the Hall of Famer, but only two different photos. If you look at the Rick Barry totem pole on the left side, you'll see that the low man on it shows the actual, intended image. But if you look at the pic above it, you'll see that Topps got all sorts of crafty. They done '1957hankaaroned' the image!! It's the same shot, just flipped!! The weird combover goes to his right and then to his left. And to add to their unbridled cleverness, they made sure to crop the picture differently, so the backwards "GOLDEN STATE" wouldn't give away the ruse.

Bravo!! Bravo!!

Attachment 493018

Now please return to your normal lives.
Interesting observation, but why are you posting about a basketball card in a post-war baseball card forum???
Old 12-16-2021, 06:41 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Interesting observation, but why are you posting about a basketball card in a post-war baseball card forum???
To be fair, he did mention the '57 Topps Hank Aaron.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-16-2021, 09:48 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
To be fair, he did mention the '57 Topps Hank Aaron.

No grief intended, just thought it odd to not post in the basketball forum.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:14 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
No grief intended, just thought it odd to not post in the basketball forum.
To me the only thing odd is that you called it out? We are all of the same ilk here, and I found it interesting and a cool thread. Topps being Topps!

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 12-18-2021, 12:44 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
To me the only thing odd is that you called it out? We are all of the same ilk here, and I found it interesting and a cool thread. Topps being Topps!
Not sure why you would think it odd to mention it. If you look, there is a separate forum to post basketball in, and I thought it strange that they've gone to the trouble to set up a specific forum especially for basketball, and then someone doesn't use it that posts about a basketball card. Not giving anyone grief, just curious as to why this was being posted in a forum for a completely different sport.

I also found it an interesting find by the OP, and never realized it myself till he pointed it out. But still, why is it in a forum specifically titled as a "Postwar BASEBALL Cards Forum (Pre-1980)"? And what does it being a Topps card have to do with anything? It is not a Topps card forum, it is a Postwar Baseball Card Forum.

And we are definitely not of the same ilk. it seems. In my experience, most card collectors tend to have a little OCD in them, and usually like to keep things in certain order and in their proper place. A thread about a basketball card, one would think, would normally go in a basketball forum, not a baseball forum.

I merely wondered if the OP had sometthing else in mind in using the baseball card forum for this. The truly odd thing is you giving me grief about asking why!

Last edited by BobC; 12-18-2021 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-18-2021, 07:53 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:

...The truly odd thing is you giving me grief about asking why!
I find it peculiar...that you found it odd...that John thought it strange..that you mentioned the fact...that Darren posted a basketball card in a baseball card forum.

I suddenly feel 35 years younger.

In all seriousness, I do understand the desire for everything to be in its proper place. For me, the most annoying example of an out-of-place post is when a 21st century card is listed for sale on the main page.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-18-2021, 04:13 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I find it peculiar...that you found it odd...that John thought it strange..that you mentioned the fact...that Darren posted a basketball card in a baseball card forum.

I suddenly feel 35 years younger.

In all seriousness, I do understand the desire for everything to be in its proper place. For me, the most annoying example of an out-of-place post is when a 21st century card is listed for sale on the main page.
LOL

Good one!
Old 12-27-2021, 05:37 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I've been sidelined by another surgery for awhile, so I had no idea that this thread caused such a hullabaloo for someone. The simple response is the post-war forum is basically a chatting area for all types of cards and memorabilia from the second half of the 20th century and onward...and I'm glad it is. A catch-all, if you will. Thought this was a funny sorta thread, and as John said, we are all of the same ilk, so this was the best place to post it.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 12-28-2021 at 12:54 PM.