NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Brock

Default February Pickup Thread-

Had a good first day of the month...
Picked up this 1950s heavy wool Boston Red Sox jacket. Cant say for sure that its game-worn but its the maker and style worn by the Sox in that era.

Also got this Castle Films 1948 World Series 16mm film. A few weeks back I bought easel back display sign in the picture and have been on the hunt for the film box since. The boxes are often beat to hell but this one is in super condition and the actual film appears to have never been viewed. Makes a cool display.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.JPG (77.5 KB, 831 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (52.2 KB, 834 views)
Old 02-01-2010, 06:26 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

GREAT pickups, Brock!! That Jacket is simply a classic, and I love that Store Display with companion Movie Reel.... what a great pairing! I am a sucker for the early Easel-back Store Displays as well. Here's a nifty 1940s Lighter Display I just picked up... very tough to find, let alone NRMT, with all of the "Lighter Bats" still attached.

Also landed a super rare item - this huge padlock was used by a member of Cap Anson's Billiard Parlor and Bowling Lanes (established 1899, and straight from the Locker Room). I love the early figurals, and this is the only figural piece I've ever seen with Anson depicted. I have seen one other surface over the past decade, but not with the key (which is cool in its own right!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anson3.jpg (23.5 KB, 788 views)
File Type: jpg anson.jpg (72.0 KB, 794 views)
File Type: jpg anson2.jpg (34.3 KB, 769 views)
File Type: jpg anson1.jpg (50.8 KB, 773 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 02-01-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:15 AM

Default Cap Anson padlock

Wow! That Cap Anson padlock and key piece is absolutely stunning. Congrats Perezfan!
Old 02-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Chris Wassmuth

That padlock is one of the coolest pieces I've seen in a long time! Congrats on a GREAT pickup!

Chris
Old 02-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Ditto!
Old 02-02-2010, 01:43 PM

Default wow

Mark, That lock is out there!!....How big is it, what are the dimensions? I vagaually recall seeing something over the years related to Cap Anson's bowling alley or something....but I think I'd remember that lock. The back is great and that key is out there too, looks ecclesiastical. Man it really pays to stop in at those thrift shops now and then!

I've have that lighter display, but mine has all tan lighters....got it at the Glendale show a million years ago..There is a similiar Joe Dimaggio lighter display.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Shawn England

Default Old thread about the padlock

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...hlight=padlock
Old 02-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Shawn England

If I remember correctly, the one that sold on Ebay did not have a key and it was not in as good of condition. It seems like it went for $200.00??? and thoughts were that it was a steal.

Great pickup!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Jon Canfield

Mark - I also had a Cap Anson lock which looked very similar to yours and had the original key. I did not get mine from the eBay sale but found it for sale at a show and picked it up. A while back, I traded it (or sold it maybe) to another board member so I can't recall who owns it now. I did save a picture though.

Last edited by canjond; 02-02-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:08 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Jon...
I bet it's the same one you had. The key has a little number 62 at the top of one side, if that rings a bell. Also, the slight rust at the tip of the hasp looks identical. I can't imagine how few others might have survived along with the key (so I'm thinking that yours somehow made its way to me...)

Carlton...
It hasn't arrived yet (hope I didn't jinx it by posting prematurely) but I think the description said it's 4.25" tall by a little over 2" wide. Nice sized lock, if those dimensions are accurate.

Also, it's cool to see the Lighter Display in your collection. That's quite an impressive shelf you have there! Do you have a story (or any background info) on that Batter/Ashtray just in front of the Lighters? That's a beautiful piece, and the Batter portion looks nearly identical to a Figural piece I recently sold to our friend, Mike H. (but his resides on a circular black base). I had never seen another until seeing your photo.

All...
Thanks for the nice comments on the Anson Lock. I was fortunate to get it but did not "Pull a BrocK" (meaning steal it, for those new to this Forum). A complimentary reference to the enterprising collector who started this thread! Hard to know what it's worth, with so few others to compare it to. Though it was pricey, I don't think another will surface for some time. Definitely one of those things I would have kicked myself later, had I not gone after it. Now that I've said that, a whole hoard of 'em will probably turn up somewhere!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:14 PM

According to an older post by Mark Macrae, these Anson locks are fantasy pieces and were created within the last two years by Charles Mandel. I cannot confirm nor deny this fact; you may want to email him and see if he can't expand on his earlier comment.

Last edited by mzm55; 02-02-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:18 PM
R@nd@ll Ad@ms

I've seen two on EBay over the last year.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:24 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thanks MZM55... I have emailed Mark Macrae for clarification. I'll post what he says if he replies, and does not post anything here himself.

So the 2 confirmed examples include the one everyone saw on Ebay last June (without the key), and this one (which I believe is the same as Jon's).

Have there been any others sighted? If this is really a "fantasy piece", why would there not be more than 2 out there? A padlock of this type had to be extremely expensive to cast and produce, and you'd think that more would surface if this was a recent production. A Google search also revealed only those two. It seems neither logical nor profitable for whoever would have taken the time and expense to create these.

Eager to hear what Mark M. says, as I will pursue a refund if he has definitive/damning information... thanks!

Last edited by perezfan; 02-02-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Jon Canfield

Mark,

To further your point, I'm not 100% sure ours are/were the same. The back of mine was distinctly different than the one you posted in the scan. If you look at the "bigger" mark on the bottom center, you will see yours has a distinctive scratch to the left of it. Also, to the right of that mark, your line seems to be missing or worn away. Both of those marks do not appear on the back scan I retained of the one I had.

Last edited by canjond; 02-02-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:09 PM
R@nd@ll Ad@ms

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (59.1 KB, 559 views)

Last edited by cincicards; 02-02-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:15 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Jon... You're right... ours are definitely different.

Unfortunately, Mark Macrae is on an extended vacation (without a cell phone). So we won't hear from Mark for a while. I did email Charles Mandel (Helmar Brewing) directly, and am hoping for a response. I still find it hard to believe that these were recently made, and hopefully will get an answer soon.

When I called for Mark, his associate answered, and said she had seen Helmar padlocks of assorted early players. But they did not seem to fit this description at all, the way she described them. So I don't know if this is part of that modern assortment or not. Anyone with more info... feel free to chime in!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Chris Wood

Default Helmar Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Jon... You're right... ours are definitely different.

Unfortunately, Mark Macrae is on an extended vacation (without a cell phone). So we won't hear from Mark for a while. I did email Charles Mandel (Helmar Brewing) directly, and am hoping for a response. I still find it hard to believe that these were recently made, and hopefully will get an answer soon.

When I called for Mark, his associate answered, and said she had seen Helmar padlocks of assorted early players. But they did not seem to fit this description at all, the way she described them. So I don't know if this is part of that modern assortment or not. Anyone with more info... feel free to chime in!

I've seen the Helmar PCL locks (wish I could find a photo) and they are nothing like this one. They have a player image under a raised glass dome. They kind of look like a paperweight with a lock mechanism.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 02-02-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-02-2010, 07:54 PM
R@nd@ll Ad@ms

The last time I saw one on EBay the seller had it lumped in with the Helmar locks.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:00 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Well... it's confirmed. The Anson Lock is a FANTASY piece. I just spoke with Charles Mandel who owns Helmar Brewing Co. He confirmed that he had 40 of these made up for himself and a few friends.

He was shocked and surprised to hear what it sold for on Ebay. Even though it's rare (40 exist) and very cool, it is not vintage and not worth what I paid. So back it will go, for a refund. The seller's description touted it as being antique and from 1899. It's such a convincing repro, it had me completely fooled. I'm just glad I wasn't the only one here who thought it was real

Thanks again, MZM55, for your insight!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:12 PM

I'm glad that you were able to get a solid answer. Hopefully, now, you'll be able to obtain a refund easily. I agree with you, it's a neat piece, but certainly not worth what a genuine 1899 piece would sell for.

-Zach
Old 02-02-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Jon...
I bet it's the same one you had. The key has a little number 62 at the top of one side, if that rings a bell. Also, the slight rust at the tip of the hasp looks identical. I can't imagine how few others might have survived along with the key (so I'm thinking that yours somehow made its way to me...)

Carlton...
It hasn't arrived yet (hope I didn't jinx it by posting prematurely) but I think the description said it's 4.25" tall by a little over 2" wide. Nice sized lock, if those dimensions are accurate.

Also, it's cool to see the Lighter Display in your collection. That's quite an impressive shelf you have there! Do you have a story (or any background info) on that Batter/Ashtray just in front of the Lighters? That's a beautiful piece, and the Batter portion looks nearly identical to a Figural piece I recently sold to our friend, Mike H. (but his resides on a circular black base). I had never seen another until seeing your photo.

All...
Thanks for the nice comments on the Anson Lock. I was fortunate to get it but did not "Pull a BrocK" (meaning steal it, for those new to this Forum). A complimentary reference to the enterprising collector who started this thread! Hard to know what it's worth, with so few others to compare it to. Though it was pricey, I don't think another will surface for some time. Definitely one of those things I would have kicked myself later, had I not gone after it. Now that I've said that, a whole hoard of 'em will probably turn up somewhere!
Mark, Sorry to hear about the lock...though it was intriguing as the story unfolded. Who needs a COA, just put stuff on Net54!!

I got the ashtray with the batter at one of the Nationals way back...pretty sure it was the 1995 in St Louis....Pretty sure I got it from Bob McCann....As I recall McCann was setting up and it was the usual shark swarm as he was pulling stuff out...As I walked up a lot of people were grabbing bats and so on...and I saw I think either Dave Bushing or Dan Knoll holding it....I said to Dan I believe it was...that it was one of the best figural baseball ash trays extant....I think they sort of knew it was my thing...This was back when Dan and Dave had their "Best of Yester Year" concern or some name...anyway...Dan looked at Dave and Dave sort of gave him the nod...and Dan just handed it over to me and said here ya go....just a nice gesture from them...I think I gave $350.00 for it and as I recall, Bob was a little reluctant to sell it for that, as Dan had told me it was $350.00..but I think it was a courtesy price intended only for Dan and Dave....what ever it was I got it for their courtesy price...That was an interesting National....I even remember some large drama that went down in our booth between two dealers...one of pretty high profile...Then John Buonaguidi, who I shared the booth with, sold a pair of the baseball andirons at that show to a very advanced baseball only collector who was also set up there....He later put them in a non sport auction and they went thru the roof. So much so that the price was noted with amazement in the Antiques and the Arts Weekly...

Yeah the ashtray like I say is one the best of it's genera...made by Derby Silver...Derby did some great stuff....I think I recall another example on eBay a while back, but I think that's the only two I've seen...

Old 02-03-2010, 12:06 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thanks Carlton... somehow I knew there would be a great story behind that piece! It's a truly beautiful figural... but did I tell you I saw a number of these posted on Helmar's website? Haha... of all people, I bet the "repro bug" has never bitten you!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:16 AM

Default Anson Lock

Mark I'm with you -- I bought Jon's lock here on the BST a few months ago thinking it was an incredible piece ( I feel a little better that you and Jon and apparently many others thought the same). The only red flag that was raised for me was that two of them suddenly turned up at once. If you look at the photos that Jon posted, the locking mechanism and key have aging/oxidation that looks like it's been there for a long time.

Greg
Old 02-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Dan Bretta

Very disappointing to hear about that Anson lock. I recall when it was first posted on Net54 thinking how odd it was that something that cool pertaining to Anson just pops up that I'd never seen before....and very alarming that something like that can be made so convincingly and cheaply.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Jon Canfield

Greg,

I sent you an email.

- Jon
Old 02-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Ricky Anderson

Default New bookends

Picked up these recently!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg book.jpg (75.6 KB, 576 views)
File Type: jpg shelf.jpg (64.1 KB, 577 views)
Old 02-03-2010, 06:28 PM

Default Ted Willaims

My latest pick up is a 1951-55 W 166 Ted Williams game bat with tons of use. The number nine can be seen on the knob end under a black light. The bat is not cracked and has rack marks, ball marks and cleat marks as well. The problem with buying this great collectible was having to fly to Boston to purchase in person and then having to deal with a thing called "Homeland Security" when getting ready to leave to come back home. It had to go underneath the plane because it is considered a weapon! Luckily, I brought along an empty FE EX shipping box that I was able to tape up and pack it in. It was a trying time waiting to see it come up safely at the baggage claim area once I got home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tw1.jpg (74.2 KB, 558 views)
File Type: jpg tw.jpg (81.9 KB, 559 views)
Old 02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Uh-Oh... there's an Anson Lock in Hunt's new Catalogue as well. So even they were fooled by it! (makes me feel vindicated, and I have already called them to inform).
Old 02-04-2010, 05:21 PM

Default I shouldn't but

Quote:
Uh-Oh... there's an Anson Lock in Hunt's new Catalogue as well. So even they were fooled by it! (makes me feel vindicated, and I have already called them to inform).
That's nothing...last night I was walking out of the supermarket and I looked down and there was a little kid playing with one....I go where'd ya get that....he points and I walk over...there was a whole line of gumball machines all full of Cap Anson locks....

I'm bad I know....Mark I know you're resilient...but oh yeah I've gotten bit....matter fact....That reminds me of a conversation I had last National with John Kanuit....he had this bronze painted figural card holder of a football player...I said I have that same figure on a pocket watch holder and there's always been something about it that I've never been sure if it's real...John looks at me and told me a story he bought one and later found out the guy had a bunch of them in his trunk...or something to that effect....it's got the look but I knew there was just something about it...Another fantasy piece courtesy of China that I probably paid a couple hundred bucks for...

Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 PM

Default Feb Pickups

Nice pickups guys. That is a bummer about your padlock Mark, but hopefully Ebay's newly advertised buyer protection will come to your aid.

There are a couple of Eagles pennants that I know of that I need, but about 1 or so on average a year show up on ebay that I've never seen before. However, for some reason, 4 have shown up that I had never encountered before in the past couple of months. I showed the first 2 in the January Pickups. Now the newest 2.
The first is by far my favorite Eagles pennant pickup in a while. It is a Blue and Yellow rather crudely designed pennant. I think this is the only Eagles pennant I have come across that I can say with some degree of certainty that is from the 1930s. It could potentially even date to their inception in 1933, but I need to some research on this one (not sure where to start though).

The second pennant is a type that I have in 2 different color variations (green and white, and blue and gray), and now I found this new color variation - black felt with gray Eagle/lettering.

I also picked up a couple of neat early football photos.
The first is a cyanotype measuring baout 5 x 7, of a well equipped football team, with a ball marked AAA 1900, and the fellow on the front right who has a Christy Matthewson-esque look has AAA marked on his shin guards.

The second photo is roughly CDV sized, but a little short, photograph of 2 football players with an early melon football. One if the players sports a cool batwing noseguard. The card is marked with "The Empire" which I feel could be linking these 2 players to the Empire AC football team, which was a late 19th century pro team in the NJ NY area.

Lastly, I picked up this brown leather baseball with red stitching. Anyone have any idea on dating this ball? The ball is not a dirty white ball, but rather the leather is brown itself.

Last edited by vintagesportflips; 02-05-2010 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Edited for some typos
Old 02-05-2010, 10:23 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Keith...

VERY nice pickups. I love the pennants, and have NEVER seen that first one you posted. It has to be exceedingly rare.

As for the Brown Leather Baseball.... safe to say it is circa 1910, give or take a few years (making it 100 years older than the Cap Anson Padlock ) There are a couple of similar examples listed in the new Hunts Catalogue. Yours looks pristine, and is a marvelous find!
Old 02-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Default Pride of the Yankees

Picked up a 1942 copy of Lou Gehrig Pride of the Yankees with nice dust cover. The cover also has Gary Cooper on it so I'm wondering if the movie had already been made (1943) or they put this cover on to help promote the upcoming movie. Also picked up the 1943 ad from Life magazine for Pride of the Yankees. I thought it might make a nice display with the book on a book holder sitting on my bookcase next to the framed movie ad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0831.jpg (75.1 KB, 498 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0832.jpg (74.7 KB, 498 views)
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 02-05-2010, 05:18 PM

Default Anson Lock

I just want to go back to the Cap Anson lock for a moment. I purchased that lock from Jon last year, and want everyone to know that Jon was terrific about immediately offering me a refund once we all learned that it's a fantasy piece. We actually agreed that I would keep the lock for what Jon initially paid for it, and he is refunding me the difference.

Jon is without a doubt a standup guy -- we're lucky to have him in the hobby and here on this forum.

Greg
Old 02-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Banned

The middle ticket stub arrived today. It's from Bob Feller's no-hitter in Yankee Stadium and completes my trifecta of Feller no-hitter ticket stubs. Thanks to Scott G. for pointing me in the direction of the eBay seller who had it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nonox3.jpg (35.1 KB, 479 views)
Old 02-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Matt

While the condition might not be the best, it is the only Rogers Hornsby decal bat that I have ever seen. It had to be great looking back in the day. The Professional came off of ebay, but I like the flame burned finish.
Matt
Old 02-05-2010, 07:03 PM

Thanks Mark for your help with the baseball. I just got the Hunts catalog in the mail today, and you are right, it has a similar look to a pair in their auction.

Also thanks for you compliments on the pennants. I was very excited when I first saw the blue and yellow pennant pop up on ebay, and it was one of those rare items that I said to myself I wasn't going to lose it. I have said that many times in the past, only to come away empty handed, but this time, not only was I pumped to win it, I ended up getting it for several hundred less than my max bid.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:11 PM

Default Congrats Rob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
The middle ticket stub arrived today. It's from Bob Feller's no-hitter in Yankee Stadium and completes my trifecta of Feller no-hitter ticket stubs. Thanks to Scott G. for pointing me in the direction of the eBay seller who had it.
Rob,
That trifecta of Feller no-hitter tickets looks pretty great! Congrats on completing this.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Default 1961 Yanks

Late mail delivery yesterday. Added Berra and Kubek to my 61 Yankees from last weekends MAB show. Hard to believe that next year will be the 50th anniversary of this team.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0836.jpg (74.6 KB, 448 views)
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 02-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Paul

Default 1910s Baseball opener printing plate

Most of us are aware of the stamped steel figural baseball player opener from the teens. Well I just picked up a printing plate of it to advertise it. Anyone know more about the item itself and how people bought? won? or were given these? They have advertising stamped on the back, so I was thinking they were giveaways for that business? Anyone know? Here's a picture! The hooked right foot was the bottle opener, the square hole was for adjusting a gas stove (I've been told?) and the round hole where the ball is, was for a keychain, lanyard, or to just hang up for use.

I have the same birthday as Bob Feller (Nov 3), and I grew up about 4 miles from the farm where Bob Feller grew up in Iowa.

Last edited by olsport; 02-08-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:05 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Jon and Greg...

Nice win-win solution on the Anson Padlock. It is a neat item to keep, just for the aesthetics. Even if not an antique, it has great display value and is still somewhat rare (only 40 - 42 produced).

Just another example of why Net54 is such a great resource!

BTW, I spoke with Jeremy at Hunts, and would be surprised if Lot # 308 is included, when the Auction goes live on their website.

Last edited by perezfan; 02-09-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Brock

Mark,
How were you able to view their next auction and notice that the lock was in there. Thanks
Old 02-09-2010, 01:20 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I received the Hunts Catalogue about a week ago. There has been a delay viewing it on-line, as they have been busy with the Live Superbowl Auction that just ended. I was surprised to see the Anson Lock in there, as this all occurred right in the midst of my researching its origins!

I am guessing that the new auction will appear online any day now... it is scheduled to end February 26-27.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Brock

Mark,
I just looked and it's already up.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:41 PM

The Anson lock is off of the online catalog at Hunt. The auction went up on the Internet sometime late this morning, and the lock was on the site.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:14 PM

Default Soccer Trophy

9" tall
I picked up a soccer trophy tonight on eBay...Don't usually collect soccer stuff but this pushed my button...looks 19th century...the base is 3" tall the figure 6"....hope it looks as good in person. The quality of the modeling looks almost fine art to me. Looks Euro but what the hay.

This kind of stance always makes me nervous because of the ankle....I always send the seller the photo below along with a plea the support each end equally...it's a jungle out there!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:34 AM

Default A slow month for me, collecting wise...

Work and some other issues have been taking up way too much of my time!

I finally got on the board and added a snapshot of a Mr. Henry Aaron to my collection.

aaronsnapshot.jpg
Old 02-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Graig Kreindler

Alright, I don't usually have anything to offer in these threads, as I find myself being more of an admirer than a collector. But, I was able to pick something up a couple of days ago that I'm pretty stoked about, as it's going to make a killer painting.

The image is of Ripper Collins coming home after one of his home runs during the 1934 season. He pretty much faded into obscurity, as his career numbers ended up being pretty pedestrian. But, in that championship season, he broke out with 35 round trippers, 128 RBIs and a .333 average. It's fair to say that he was pretty integral in the Cardinals' quest for the flag.

I absolutely adore the aesthetics of this photo, which is why I was interested in it. I seem to remember seeing a cropped version of it in one of Donald Honig's books form the late 70s/early 80s. Anywho, if nothing else, it provides a great view of Sportsman's Park from that year (certainly something that's very appealing to me), and the light patterns are just KILLER. So many dynamic diagonals going through the picture plane, and I can just see the left side of the field being enveloped by those cool shadows of the double-deck stadium, and then having those beautiful warm, bright colors where the sunlight hits the field and scoreboard. Breathtaking.

Alright, I'm done sounding like a loser. I'll definitely be painting this badboy someday...
Old 02-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Matt

Probably the rarest of all post war Hall of famers. I've seen block letter models, but never signature model.
Matt
Old 02-10-2010, 08:55 PM

Default 1947 Hart Schaffner & Marx clothes catalog

Really cool catalog, with fantastic player drawings inside. Thanks Craig!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-02-10.jpg (77.6 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-02-101.jpg (78.1 KB, 344 views)
Old 02-14-2010, 07:18 PM

Default Today's pick up

7 3/4" tall
Picked up this basketball ashtray today at a show...marked Copyright 1933 A.M.W. Newark N.J. AMW or Art Metal Works was the original name todays' Ronson company used, which you can read here.