NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Default Baseball card HOF help

I'm working on a baseball card HOF project and was looking for a little input...

Taking out photos, postcards, cabinets, over-sized cards, etc, would you agree that these are the most hobby significant cards of each player from the 1936 HOF class?

Cobb - t206 Cobb w/ Cobb back
Johnson - t204 Ramly
Mathewson - 1914 Cracker Jack
Ruth - Baltimore News
Wagner - t206

Hobby significant is a broad term I know, but try to think overall importance and not just your personal favorites. Thanks in advance for any feedback. Will be looking for more feedback for other classes if this goes well.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

I personally view the M101-4/5 Ruth as more significant than the Baltimore News.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Frank Wakefield

I agree with Peter on the M101s for Ruth. And I don't deem the Cobb brand Cobb card to be a white border T206 tobacco card. I'd go for his red portrait T206.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:02 PM
T0dd M@rcum

From my definition of significant, I would rate the Goudey Ruths higher. When people are asked to picture a Babe Ruth card in their mind that is the one that probably appears. They are aesthetically much more pleasing than the other examples sited, IMO.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

thought about that too Phil, but then which one do you pick? It's almost like they split the vote among each other making the m101-5 or Baltimore News the better choice.

Ted, why the Red over the Green?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Jeff

Jeff- your first picks are probably going to be as good as any. Forget about what I like best or value and the following come to mind.

Cobb - t206 red background
Johnson - t204 Ramly
Mathewson - E107
Ruth - M101-4/5
Wagner - t206

I could also sub many others in but if I had to sub one I would say it's the classic #144 Goudey- Ruth batting..... for the M101-4/5

But your choices are good. This is so subjective it's almost like saying "who is the prettiest girl in Hollywood?"
Old 06-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

This is so subjective it's almost like saying "who is the prettiest girl in Hollywood?"
Katy Perry... but that's a different thread.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Steven Finley

At first I replied T3 for Mathewson, but then I noted your over-sized clause. In which case I vote for the t206 portrait. It may not be as rare or as special as the CJ, but the card is beautiful.

Last edited by sbfinley; 06-26-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:34 PM
Jim D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Katy Perry... but that's a different thread.
Id take Debi Nova or Shakira any day if singers are your thing!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!

Last edited by FUBAR; 06-26-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:55 AM
Matt Wieder

Cobb - CJ
Johnson - t206 Portrait
Mathewson - E105/E102/E101/E92
Ruth - M101-5
Wagner - t206

Last edited by Matt; 06-27-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default add a poll?

You could also pick the 10 best overall guesses and start a poll in this thread. Then the top 5 would be on a consensus basis (of course of just those ones listed but it would be close and maybe easier than just guessing). I think if a lot of people agree with what is already said they won't post, but if you do a poll more people will join in the fun. Just a thought.

Last edited by Leon; 06-27-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Richard A.

I think I can see the argument for every card on this list. For me, however, I'd have to replace the Ruth pick with his #144 Goudey. In my opinion, what makes the T206 Wagner significant has a lot to do with its prominence outside of the hobby. I think Ruth's Goudey wins over either the Baltimore News or M-101-4/5 for that reason.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Brian T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_collector View Post
I think I can see the argument for every card on this list. For me, however, I'd have to replace the Ruth pick with his #144 Goudey. In my opinion, what makes the T206 Wagner significant has a lot to do with its prominence outside of the hobby. I think Ruth's Goudey wins over either the Baltimore News or M-101-4/5 for that reason.

Regards,

Richard.
That's actually a great point. In terms of asking the average modern card collector who the greatest player of all time was... I'd bet that at least a fair number would say Babe Ruth (at least a fair number of laymen would). Regardless, if you asked modern card collectors (again... intentionally trying to avoid people knowledgeable in vintage), "What is his most significant card?" I'm sure you'd get either an "I don't know", "any of them", or "his rookie card."

Before you go debunking this thought because I intentionally am excluding vintage folks (and thereby skirting the actual hobby significance line), hear me out. My point is this... I would imagine that there are many who would suggest that Babe Ruth's rookie card should be one of the most significant cards in history. Not only is it is not the holy grail, we are having very serious discussion that up to 5 other cards may deserve the honor first. That leads me to think that the M101 Ruth RC is underappreciated... but also lends credance to the argument that it is not his most significant.

I was of the opinion (rather strongly actually) that the M101-5 should be his card's representative, but am no longer convinced. I think a strong argument could be made for the #144 Goudey to be the representative. Yes, the B.N. creates a hobby buzz when it is sold, but much of that surrounds cost and similar buzz is created around the T206 Doyle Nat'l for the same reason... it's doggone expensive. The Goudey set is arguably one of the more "important" sets (in terms of significance in the hobby). Outside the 1933/34 Lajoie, the #144 Ruth is probably the most widely recognized card in that set. Tough to rule out the #53 and friends, but if one were selected, #144 would be the one, in my book.

I guess I have trouble with a pre-rookie card from a regional, sparcly populated set being Ruth's most significant card. Most expensive - undoubtedly, favorite of some - probably, most hobby significant? ... not in my opinion. I don't imagine that kids are getting into the hobby aspiring to get the B.N. Ruth one day... like they are with the T206 Wagner, for example. I would contend that the '33 Goudey Ruths are more inspiring that way (with the dream of owning a Ruth RC one day once they figure out that the Goudeys aren't it). So, does inspiration = hobby significance? Perhaps. I contend that highest value doesn't equal highest hobby significance.

Last edited by terjung; 06-27-2010 at 11:10 AM.