NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 06-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Jason Jones

Default TTM Autographs - Tell your success stories!

This could also go in the Pre-1980 forum, but has anyone had a lot of success with getting players/former players to sign through the mail? When I was a kid, I sent a ball off to Duke Snider (again, pre-1980, but whatever), and received it back, signed, on a day I was sick and out of school..really lifted my spirits.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Cameron Crafton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjones82 View Post
This could also go in the Pre-1980 forum, but has anyone had a lot of success with getting players/former players to sign through the mail? When I was a kid, I sent a ball off to Duke Snider (again, pre-1980, but whatever), and received it back, signed, on a day I was sick and out of school..really lifted my spirits.
Haha I wish, but nah I never had any success post 1980 trying that. My gramps got a Nolan Ryan signed ball, but that was in person and not from sending it in haha, however he does have a lot of stories from the late 50's, many which have him sending a note into a famouse ball player and the player sending back an autograph. Of course his mother threw those out along with all of his old baseball cards!
Old 06-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Jeff

Was a hardcore ttm guy for years, really 1986 through about 2009. Many years I sent out over 1000 requests. When the success rate began running less than 30%, it became a colossal waste of time and stamps to me.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 06-23-2012, 04:57 AM
Tony Ooten

I sent my first ttm in June 5. Here are my stats: 28 sent, most with two cards in each (one card from each set I thought I'd try). I have received autos from Will Clark, Jimmy Key, Zane Smith, and David Nied. Will Clark and Jimmy Key both only returned one of the two cards. I have had one envelope returned with the wrong address (Jeff Kent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
When the success rate began running less than 30%, it became a colossal waste of time and stamps to me.
I suspect that I'm going to realize I lack the patience to keep this up. I'm finding it a little painful to research the addresses, write the envelopes and the note requesting the auto, and purchase the stamps. I need a fairly steady reward to go thru that effort... So far I'm still trying it though

BTW
It's that slightly impatient aspect of my psyche that made collecting the Monster so appealing for me. Usually a pretty steady flow of t206's within my budget coming in the mail over a two year period
Old 06-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Manny
Banned

I started a thread in the autograph forum about this:

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=152935

I had no idea what "TTM" meant until I opened this thread.

I think my success ratio was a bit higher than 30% -- more like 50-60% -- because I chose players based on the realistic probability they would respond to the request. There used to be a list I would reference and it was very accurate, down to the average turnaround time.

The downside was getting auto's from average players (i.e. Adam Kennedy, Mark Wohlers).

I did get some good ones: Tim Hudson, Mike Mussina, etc.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:45 PM

Back in the mid 90s I sent out a bunch of requests and did surprisingly well (probably about 60%). I got back Kenny Lofton, Andy Pettite, Paul Molitor, Edgar Martinez, Tino Martinez, Reggie Jefferson, Jorge Posada. I also learned the harsh reality that some players couldn't sign the cards I sent out (John Olerud, Larry Walker) due to contractual obligations.

I also sent some hockey out as well and came back with Mario Lemieux, Felix Potvin, Sergei Federov.

I plowed through envelopes and stamps like crazy, since I included a SASE. But I was always thrilled to see my own hand written envelope make it back to my mailbox.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:36 PM
David M.

Back in the 80's SCD routinely printed player addresses for autograph requests. They had a regular columnist for it. I only sent out a few, but I think I was 100% on getting responses. The only thing about getting them in the mail was you were never absolutely sure you were getting an authentic autograph.

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 06-25-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Ben Martin

I have been sending TTM's since April and I have gotten well over 100 back so far. I signed up on sportscollectors.net to see who signs and also I can track my successes and failures. I think it costs $15 for a year.

I also ordered the Harvey Meiselman lists as well to help find some of the harder addresses.

I send to almost anyone that I have a spare card for. I have got some good returns. I will admit that there are a few I paid the fee for as well.

I also put up vidoes of my returns on Youtube. Here is a link

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...2&feature=plcp
Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 PM
qu@n nguy3n

did them in the early 90s was never hardcore just sent to stadiums and arenas a few baseball/hockey/football. the success was pretty high.

i started back recently but the return rate has been really low...like 10-15%. granted i'm writing to retired guys from the 90's. i've only gotten back 3...2 sure things in andy benes and gregg olson, and a dale murphy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Was a hardcore ttm guy for years, really 1986 through about 2009. Many years I sent out over 1000 requests. When the success rate began running less than 30%, it became a colossal waste of time and stamps to me.
jeff do you still have these? i'm looking for rookie or early year cards of a bunch of guys in this period (1989-1991).
Old 06-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Ben Martin

Here is my stats since April

Sent 268 TTM's
3 Failures Return to Sender
163 Returns
102 still out. This includes several I just sent

I highly recommend using some kind of a site that shows who is signing such as sportscollectors.net. Ive also looked at fanmail.biz but it seems more actor/entertainment oriented.

With that being said I do plan to try some of the harder guys eventually so I am sure my averages may go down a bit. I also have several still out from the first bunch I sent that I may be lucky to get a return from. Still hoping for a few of those.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:33 AM
Ben Martin

I also wanted to add that I plan on working on some late 80's early 90's sets as a project starting over the next few weeks. I have a ton of 91 Topps and Fleer Ultra. I would also like to get some 87 Topps signed as well.

I am also working on the 2005 Topps All American Football set and I have several of those already signed.