NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-11-2021, 01:36 AM

Default 2018 Tops Gallery, a very special piece.

Hi all,

I recently picked up an amazing piece for my PC and quite possibly the most unique baseball card related item that I have come across.

The piece is the original 5x7 painting commissioned by Topps of Zack Greinke, for their 2018 Topps Gallery set. The art was created by the extremely talented Dan Bergren, whom I have had the pleasure of being able to chat with and actually ask some questions regarding the specific piece.

For sometime now, I have been very determined to find the best Zack Greinke card possible for my collection and looking into every set and year imaginable. In this time, I've also had a realization that to me personally, there isn't much that seperates the parallels besides color and for me to pay an exorbanant ammount of money for a card because it is a gold refractor or serial numbered out of /500, or /10, I just can't justify it, especially when the base can often be found for a few dollars and the only difference is that it doesn't have a specific colored border or might not be a chrome stock. So I now find myself turning back to regualr base cards and find it to be more enjoyable and less stressful.

That is where this 5x7 piece comes in. It is about as unique as it gets! Not only is the piece a stunning hyperrealistic original art work but it is also featured as the image on Greinke's 2019 Topps Gallery card! As an added bonus, the 5x7 also comes with the cyan printing plate used to manufacture the card as well as an example of the card itself which happens to be the green /99 parallel.

The portrait piece brings me back to the early days of tobacco card issues of the early 20th century as well as the 1953 Topps issue when the cards featured original artwork of the players they depicted rather than a photo. Now don't get me wrong, I love baseball cards and there are many great issues and sets produced these days, however, in a day and age when a new card can be designed, edited and printed at warp speed, there is something refreshing to be found in this piece. As someone who dabbles in art myself, I can also fully appreciate the talent and detail that a piece like this commands, so this will without a doubt be a centerpiece of my small collection.

Attached is a link showing the timelapse on Dan's sketch of Trout: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=296849624258095

Enjoy!

Jake

Last edited by AstroJake09; 07-11-2021 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:06 PM

Here's the cyan printing plate and base card that the art is featured on as well as the original photograph which is also on Greinke's 2018 Archives card!

Last edited by AstroJake09; 07-13-2021 at 11:07 PM.