NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-26-2021, 11:46 AM
Dan Bretta

Default OT: Any Franklin D Roosevelt experts in here?

Do you suppose this first day cover was addressed by FDR himself? I can't find any examples of his printed handwriting. He was a noted stamp collector and this was quite clearly from his own collection. Evidently they had an auction of his stuff in 1946.

BTW I've owned this for years, but did not realize until today that it had any connection to Roosevelt. It was just in a large lot of political ephemera I purchased at a local auction that I forgot about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fdr1.jpg (78.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg fdr2.jpg (76.7 KB, 127 views)
Old 10-26-2021, 11:57 AM

I've never seen FDR's printing, Dan, but...

The way "Washington" is written on the reverse looks like his handwriting--especially the "hin." (Compare that to the "lin" in his signature.)
So, if the writing on the reverse is his--including the printing there--I'd say he addressed the cover.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:12 PM
Dan Bretta

Interesting...thank you, David. Also found in this lot that I never really looked at until today is a cover sent from Eleanor Roosevelt. Apparently she didn't have to use stamps as I've found a number of these "Anna Eleanor Roosevelt Free" cancellations on the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fdr3.jpg (78.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg fdr4.jpg (82.3 KB, 122 views)
Old 10-26-2021, 01:19 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

That is not Roosevelt's handwriting. Clearly addressed by by J. Dunlop while Roosevelt was still governor of New York. Possibly/probably an autograph request. It was a year before he ran for president so not likely someone anticipating he would win that election.

The Anna Eleanor Roosevelt cover is called a free frank. Most common among congressmen and senators. They would only need to sign their name in the upper right corner of an envelope and it would be mailed by the post office for free. They would also need to add 'm.c.' or 'u.s.s.' after their signature It is still done today. You will see bulk mailings from your senator or congressman and his signature will be printed in the upper right corner. This can only be done for official government business not election related items. Presidents and first ladies retained this right after they left office. I have never seen a presidential one post term, but first lady ones are around. I owned a Grace Coolidge one and have seen Edith Bolling Wilson.

Note that the Eleanor Roosevelt one is a stamp and not real signature.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 10-26-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:50 PM

Reconsidering, I agree with Michael. I didn't look closely; thus I didn't see that it is not a first day cover. Requesting a First Day cancellation would be the only reason I can think of for one to address a cover to himself.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:27 PM
Dan Bretta

This actually is a FDC. Clara Barton #702 - May 21, 1931. I'm guessing J Dunlop may have addressed it to Roosevelt knowing that he was a stamp collector?

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 10-26-2021 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:32 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post

Note that the Eleanor Roosevelt one is a stamp and not real signature.
Thanks for the info. I did not think, nor did I imply that the Anna Eleanor Roosevelt stamp was a real signature.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:40 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Roosevelt was a reknowned philatelist. As noted on the back of the envelope, his collection was sold in 1946. Items out of his collection carry a small premium. J. Dunlop may have been a postal employee who assisted Roosevelt in obtaining FDC's from the site of issue. He lived about 10 blocks from the American Red Cross HQ and about 15 minutes from the main post office at Mass Ave and North Capitol St. next to Union Station in Washington, D.C. He lived in an apartment building at the time. Other famous stamp collectors - King George V, Prince Ranier III of Monaco, Queen Elizabeth, IOC President Juan Antonio Samaranch and Francis Cardinal Spellman. Spellman's collection is housed in the Spellman Museum of Stamps and Postal History on the campus of Regis College in Weston, MA. A nice little museum and research library. I lived a few miles from it.

Dan, I did not think you were suggesting that Eleanor's signature was real. I was writing so I thought I would add that for everyone else.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 10-26-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
This actually is a FDC. Clara Barton #702 - May 21, 1931. I'm guessing J Dunlop may have addressed it to Roosevelt knowing that he was a stamp collector?
It is not cancelled "First Day of Issue"
Old 10-26-2021, 04:22 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
It is not cancelled "First Day of Issue"
I don’t think that cancellation was in use in 1931, but it doesn’t have to be stamped with that cancellation to be an FDC.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:03 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I don’t think that cancellation was in use in 1931, but it doesn’t have to be stamped with that cancellation to be an FDC.
I was trying to find the year that "first day of issue" cancel started. It was not in use in 1931, and not for a couple years later.
I suspect it may have been prompted by FDR who was a very avid collector to the point that as president he submitted suggested designs/ subjects for stamps at least once.

Most stamps were first issued in Washington DC, then nationwide a day later. Some were simply released nationwide, like the Red Cross stamp shown.

There's a shrinking niche of the hobby that involves getting stamps on the first day and mailing letters with them on the first day from post offices that aren't the official first day release site.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:27 PM
Andy H

The real odd thing here is that it's stamped 1931...Al Smith was the governor at that time, not FDR.

Edit: I'm an idiot. FDR was governor at the time.

My GLAC collection (1/240):
https://www.collectorfocus.com/colle...gned-postcards

Last edited by Wrightfan85; 10-27-2021 at 12:29 PM.