NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-12-2021, 08:46 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Default Lelands Auction Results SGC Cards

This is why I stick with PSA over SGC

This card has better Corners and no chipping bottom right as Compared to the PSA 8 53 mantle that just sold in REA.

12/11/21 Most Recent Sgc Sale see link = $ $58,054
12/5/21 PSA Sale 105,000

Buy sgc all day long but when your collection comes for sale who’s holder do you want it in? I chose PSA hands down 😊. If the big money collectors and investors chose it why shouldn’t I. Don’t get me wrong I love SGC I buy them too however when mine need to be sold they do much much better In a PSA holder.
Their Cards, PSA’s consistently blow away all The competition 👍🏻
Old 12-12-2021, 09:40 AM
Drew W@i$e

Very interesting, I wasn’t tracking the price discrepancy. Makes you wonder if this will continue in the future with the psa price increase.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

In postwar, definitely. Prewar not so much.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-13-2021, 09:37 AM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Exactly.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:36 PM
Patrick

Quote:
My understanding has always been SGC for Prewar and PSA for Post. Thats the general idea ive gotten from this board over the last few years.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:53 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's too bad there's such a disparity in value between the two TPGs. I paid good money for a Bench rookie and his 1969 card, and would love to get them graded, but who knows when (if?) PSA will return to 'normal' pricing and be able to grade cards without it taking five years per submission. Not planning on selling the cards, but would hate to 'lose out' on value due to the holders.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:52 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
It's too bad there's such a disparity in value between the two TPGs. I paid good money for a Bench rookie and his 1969 card, and would love to get them graded, but who knows when (if?) PSA will return to 'normal' pricing and be able to grade cards without it taking five years per submission. Not planning on selling the cards, but would hate to 'lose out' on value due to the holders.
I agree. I've bought some raw cards I would like to get graded by PSA, but I didn't want to pay $150 or even $100 per card to get them graded. I might try to get some graded by SGC if I decide I can't stand to wait any longer.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:14 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Or CSG. Given its financial backers, I would think it is a good bet for the long term to join the others as a major service.

Or not...
Old 12-13-2021, 04:46 PM
Howard Chasser

Default They have little to no "market respect" yet

Quote:
Or CSG. Given its financial backers, I would think it is a good bet for the long term to join the others as a major service.
If you think there is a great disparity between PSA and SGC - try selling a comparable graded CSG card. Ain't touching them with a 10 foot pole for now.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:51 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

In recent I have been seeing some absolute blazers returning from sgc coming back as only 5s and 6s. I think they have gotten very strict as of late. I would dare say they are grading post war stricter than psa. But I would attribute this partly to nobody subbing with psa for the past year on 99% of cards. So in reality sgc has their standards a year ahead in my opinion.

I believe with every bone in my body, if sgc added a barcode like psa has. To organize and make set registry's and to simply find a population count. They could have overtaken psa as #1 this year and never looked back. But they missed that boat big time. Now it's only a matter of time until psa catches up and the numbers will be flipped once again.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 12-13-2021 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:07 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
In recent I have been seeing some absolute blazers returning from sgc coming back as only 5s and 6s. I think they have gotten very strict as of late. I would dare say they are grading post war stricter than psa. But I would attribute this partly to nobody subbing with psa for the past year on 99% of cards. So in reality sgc has their standards a year ahead in my opinion.

I believe with every bone in my body, if sgc added a barcode like psa has. To organize and make set registry's and to simply find a population count. They could have overtaken psa as #1 this year and never looked back. But they missed that boat big time. Now it's only a matter of time until psa catches up and the numbers will be flipped once again.
Agree they have missed the boat ,it left the pier. The ball was practically handed to them with the PSA Shut down, it's almost as if they didn't want it. It seems they still refuse to get a real pop/registry and barcode on their flips.
I love SGC I do however when it comes to innovation and widening their brand man they lack...

Last edited by Johnny630; 12-14-2021 at 05:11 AM.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:04 AM
Eric Perry

I buy cards much more frequently than I sell them. Perhaps for that reason, I actually prefer SGC graded cards to PSA.

To me, the card is the most important thing. If people are going to pay vastly different prices for PSA vs. SGC, I'm more than happy to pick up the SGC graded card at a relative discount.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-14-2021, 09:07 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Agree they have missed the boat ,it left the pier. The ball was practically handed to them with the PSA Shut down, it's almost as if they didn't want it. It seems they still refuse to get a real pop/registry and barcode on their flips.
I love SGC I do however when it comes to innovation and widening their brand man they lack...
100 percent missed the boat. The biggest issue I saw this year was that SGC was not at the National. How are you not at the biggest card show of the year? Plenty of opportunity to grade many cards onsite and broaden the SGC brand.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:27 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

My 'grand plan' originally was to save money by purchasing raw Mantles in excellent or better (I thought) condition and then submitting them to PSA...envisioning a good profit rather than 'paying for the flip'. Well, I missed the boat...when I saw the explosion of sales, I went to the PSA website only to find that their prices had gone up in, seemingly, direct relation to card prices...making one wonder if they are manipulating the market more than what would be natural for the most popular grading company.

So I sent two orders to SGC and the resulting, disappoint for the most part, grades are reflected in my recent BST Mantle sales.

=

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-14-2021, 02:42 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

I sent some low value stuff in to PSA last February (through the LCS) and still waiting. I've mostly gone with SGC - primarily because I like the look of the cards in the slabs and it gives another opinion on the grade (other than my own). For resale PSA is obviously the way to go. I am not in a rush to sell my cards. I will probably never sell most of them and hand them down. Will PSA be king in 25 years? If so I'll tell whoever I give my cards to (my son) to resubmit anything of high value to sell. If they are no longer king - then I didn't waste money all along at their premium prices.

But yes - If I were selling a big card like this right now - I would 100% send it to PSA - cards like this get graded quick - will cost you $3K but well worth it as evidenced by the results.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:12 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
If you think there is a great disparity between PSA and SGC - try selling a comparable graded CSG card.
I did and I got just as much for it as I would have for a PSA card. Popular cards are gonna move.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-15-2021 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:49 PM
Patrick N.

Default Very High End

On the very high end, yes of course. For the average collector say $100 to $1000 card I think the average sales price if only a couple hundred dollar less for SGC is almost counterbalanced with their cheaper sub price ($30 vs. $150 currently). Also, as an SGC seller you should/will need to be more patient and set your cards at BINS whereby auctions could lead to a disappointing result vs. PSA. Also, as is obvious, the most important factor is the quality of the card (like centering) in the holder vs. the PSA or SGC debate

Last edited by mintacular; 12-15-2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I buy cards much more frequently than I sell them. Perhaps for that reason, I actually prefer SGC graded cards to PSA.

To me, the card is the most important thing. If people are going to pay vastly different prices for PSA vs. SGC, I'm more than happy to pick up the SGC graded card at a relative discount.
This is my feeling exactly. Someone is going to inherit my cards when I go. I'll let them decide which way they want to go.