NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-13-2021, 11:29 PM

Default Let's see your... Glenn Burke items!

Hi all,

As I've mentioned before I am a history major in college, with one of my passions being baseball, the two themes often intersect and I often find myself lerning about new and interesting, events, tidbits individuals and pioneers of the sport. I was recently introuduced to the story of Glenn Burke as the first openly gay baseball player and the trials he faced. I've read a bit on him and watched a documentary and have learned quite a bit about him. Burke was a remarkable and extremely strong human being in addition to being an outstanding athlete. It is also debated that he, in the spur of the moment gesture, gave Dusty Baker the first high-5. Now, I'd like to see what cards, autographs and other memorbilia might be out there or in your collections in regards to Glenn and his career?

Old 12-15-2021, 06:19 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Probably won't find anything too interesting on the card front, as he was on a total of 3 issues.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Probably won't find anything too interesting on the card front, as he was on a total of 3 issues.
I agree and have found that there isn't a whole lot to choose from, however, I'd love to find his 1975 TCMA Waterbury Dodgers card!

Last edited by AstroJake09; 12-15-2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-19-2021, 05:15 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Nice looking card.

How many are out there? Any idea?

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph

Last edited by mrreality68; 12-19-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2021, 05:30 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Without getting too far into it, I worked with a friend who ran with Glenn Burke for in the late 70s/early 80s in the San Francisco scene. He was not a baseball fan and only mentioned it to me later. My friend and I worked together in Virginia in the mid 1980s. He described Burke as wild and joyful and talk about how much all-go they were. My friend was an art director. He passed in the mid-90s.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Without getting too far into it, I worked with a friend who ran with Glenn Burke for in the late 70s/early 80s in the San Francisco scene. He was not a baseball fan and only mentioned it to me later. My friend and I worked together in Virginia in the mid 1980s. He described Burke as wild and joyful and talk about how much all-go they were. My friend was an art director. He passed in the mid-90s.
That is incredible! Everything I’ve heard sounds like Glenn was a really good person. I’m shocked I only recently learned of him and hope that more people are able to learn about him.

I was able to track down a first edition copy of Glenn’s 1995 autobiography which sadly was completed just before his death and published posthumously. I chatted with co-author Erik Sherman and he told me that it was a long and difficult road to publication with only 600-700 initial first edition copies making their way to the public and even then not all of them sold. The book was republished with an updated introduction by Billy Bean in 2014 but the first edition remains exceedingly rare. I’m most excited however, to hear Glenn in his own words. I’m always looking to broaden my perspective and hear different voices and views from every perspective on life. Having read the opening chapter, I think this will be a good read and a tough read but very important.

Old 12-22-2021, 01:54 PM
Dan Bretta

I’m going to have to revisit my 1978 Topps commons and pull the Burke’s out. I had no idea they were more than common value even though I had heard his story years ago.
Old 12-22-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I’m going to have to revisit my 1978 Topps commons and pull the Burke’s out. I had no idea they were more than common value even though I had heard his story years ago.
Yeah, I agree. Someone dumped a ton on eBay recently but I’d like to find his 1975 Waterbury Dodgers card, would be an incredible piece to find!

Last edited by AstroJake09; 12-22-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2021, 02:31 PM

Supposedly Burke was too chummy with Tommy Lasorda’s son Spunky (Tom JR.) and Lasorda was the one behind trading Burke to the A’s for Billy North to get him out of L A. Lasorda unfortunately was in denial about his son until the very end.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:04 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Supposedly Burke was too chummy with Tommy Lasorda’s son Spunky (Tom JR.) and Lasorda was the one behind trading Burke to the A’s for Billy North to get him out of L A. Lasorda unfortunately was in denial about his son until the very end.
Yeah, when LaSorda passed and was being granted sainthood by many, I made a few posts about the situation with his son and indirectly Burke. While his views were not that far out there from many men his age, refusing to acknowledge who your son was strikes me (as a father) as a particularly despicable thing. The story about LaSorda and his son has always stuck in my craw big time.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-22-2021 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Yeah, when LaSorda passed and was being granted sainthood by many, I made a few posts about the situation with his son and indirectly Burke. While his views were not that far out there from many men his age, refusing to acknowledge who your son was strikes me (as a father) as a particularly despicable thing. The story about LaSorda and his son has always stuck in my craw big time.
I've read about that as well and I thik it is a topic that Glenn touches upon in his autobiography, hopefully I can share some more info as far as Glenn's thoughts about the relationship with LaSorda and Spunky after I read it. It really is quite despicable.
Old 12-25-2021, 03:45 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Not a playing era collectible by any means but here is a piece I created from the Topps x Efdot Iconic Stadium Series rainbow foil card of Dodger Stadium and a custom I commissioned from Millburg Trading Cards.

Available if interested. All straight to charity.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 12-25-2021, 04:40 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

That's amazing. If I ran Topps I'd pay you for that tomorrow.
Old 12-26-2021, 04:04 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Thank you! Also want to share a relevant article covering the bulk of Burke collectibles out there.

https://sabrbaseballcards.blog/2021/...g-glenn-burke/

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/