NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 09-20-2020, 07:34 AM

Default 1957 Topps Basketball Set - Questions on Selling

Though I collect primarily baseball cards, I have some basketball and football cards from the 50s that I will be looking to sell in the next year or so. I sent a 1957 Topps Basketball set to PSA for grading. The "express" group came back with only 4s for Russell, Cousy and Heinsohn. If the grading is that tough for the other cards, I would guess that most will be 4s or 5s, with a couple of 3s and hopefully some 6s.
We are experiencing a wonderful "bubble" on the sale prices of especially the Russell cards, and to some extent Cousy. How long the "bubble" will last is anyone's guess. So, my questions and seeking your opinions:
1. Do I sell the Russell, Cousy and Heinsohn cards now, and go for today's prices (knowing they could go up further, or perhaps down)?
2. How would selling the Russell, Cousy and Heinsohn cards affect selling the rest of the graded cards in the set?
3. Should I wait for all cards in the set to come back graded (probably 2021), and try to sell as a set?
4. Does anyone see an increase in sales prices for some 50s football, like 1957 Topps Unitas RC and Starr RC?
Thank you in advance for your opinions. Would love to have a crystal ball! Jim
Old 09-20-2020, 07:58 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Generally you will get less for a set than the break value of the set. Always has been the case for mainstream cards.

FWIW, i think the Cousy is overpriced. Russell is a marquee card, but if the number makes you happy, sell. Don't worry about trying to time a market top. It isn't like you will be stuck with the cards: 1957s always sell well.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-20-2020, 08:49 AM
St@n Go.len

Sell individually. Check recent sales, there may be some correction coming---- Dr J RC sales have softened a bit, for example. Probably a good time to sell.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2020, 05:55 PM

Default 1957 Topps Basketball Set

Thank you for your comments. Makes sense.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:18 AM
Wes

I’ve been waiting for the vintage sports card market to crash or plateau since 2004... both of my uncles have been waiting for it to crash since 1983. Is this a clue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2020, 12:42 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Generally you will get less for a set than the break value of the set. Always has been the case for mainstream cards.
Not only do complete sets usually sell too cheap, but people also tend to overpay for partial sets that are something like 266/330 (that don't include hardly any good stuff). I know the '57 hoops is a lot smaller; just generalizing.

So if you don't want to take the time to sell the commons/minors individually, you can still do ok offering the rest as one lot, after you sell the big cards.