NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 07-17-2020, 09:12 AM

One of the best things - musically at least - that I've done was to find CBC Radio 3 and The Verge on Sirius XM. There are some great Canadian artists of all kinds that get minimal airplay on US radio. Off the top of my head, Stars, Metric, Dear Rouge, Arkells, Trews, Russian Futurists, Sloan and K-OS are all very worthy and deserve more south of the border recognition.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:00 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Spotify

I read these type of threads to find new bands that I have never heard of.
What a treat to have a thread actually titled perfectly for this task!

I use Spotify to listen to these bands and generally give each new band about 30 minutes to win me over!
Some of the Canadian bands above will be queued up soon.
I liked Max Webster back years ago!
I dont think I have heard him in decades. (Can you believe how long ago Rush started? RIP Neil!)

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:37 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Borders View Post
Having spent my life in the Midwest, and my teen years in the late '70s - mid '80s listening to what is now Classic Rock, I'm familiar with several Canadian bands (now I'm reminiscing): Rush (The Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer), Bachman-Turner Overdrive (Taking Care of Business, You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet), Triumph (Lay It On The Line), April Wine (I Like To Rock), Burton Cummings and The Guess Who (These Eyes, American Woman), (Canadian/American) John Kay and Steppenwolf (Born to Be Wild, Magic Carpet Ride), Loverboy (Working for the Weekend, Turn Me Loose), Neil Young (Cinnamon Girl, Heart of Gold), (and later) Nickelback (Rockstar) and even a decent cover band from Nova Scotia (I think) called The Nudge. But this thread was the first time I'd heard of The Tragically Hip. Just sayin. After I saw the post about them, I did listen to some of their tunes on YouTube (and I like their sound ) and read about the tragic loss of their vocalist to brain cancer
It's funny/odd how that works. I assumed they were more international than they were but I guess I am wrong? For me it took some time to warm up to them. I was likely still listening to hard rock/metal (still do somewhat) so they were a huge change from the norm for me. Prior to Gordie's passing, they did a huge thank you/final concert that was aired all over Canada. It was definitely something to see and be a part of but sad at the same time as everyone knew what was coming. Search for the whole concert, you will be glad you did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jTMSBhPCZw

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
One of the best things - musically at least - that I've done was to find CBC Radio 3 and The Verge on Sirius XM. There are some great Canadian artists of all kinds that get minimal airplay on US radio. Off the top of my head, Stars, Metric, Dear Rouge, Arkells, Trews, Russian Futurists, Sloan and K-OS are all very worthy and deserve more south of the border recognition.
I've heard of the Arkells, the Trews and Sloan but not those others. Dallas Green, prior band called City and Color, is also great and definitely worthy of a listen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZo31zMAySQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjMsWarn8BI

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
I read these type of threads to find new bands that I have never heard of.
What a treat to have a thread actually titled perfectly for this task!

I use Spotify to listen to these bands and generally give each new band about 30 minutes to win me over!
Some of the Canadian bands above will be queued up soon.
I liked Max Webster back years ago!
I dont think I have heard him in decades. (Can you believe how long ago Rush started? RIP Neil!)
Max Webster, which is the name of the whole band, broke up years ago and Kim Mitchell, the lead singer did some solo work and was quite successful for the most part.
When I entered high school in grade 9 Max Webster played a concert in our auditorium. I was afraid of entering high school but after seeing that and with it being my very first rock pre stadium concert, my thoughts about high school quickly changed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r8niBoPqj8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLsCZo4xLdY

Last edited by irv; 07-22-2020 at 10:42 PM.