NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Default 1914 Braves Pin - Anyone Know What This Is?

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Any idea what this piece is?

PhotobucketPhotobucket

======================================
For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Old 03-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Also, any idea who is pictured? Evers maybe?

For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Old 03-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It looks like a variation of a PM1.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

It is reminiscent of a Johnny Evers metal disc that was similar to the centerpiece of this item that surfaced a few years back. I think that was also attributed to 1914, but can't remember for sure.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Leon - I agree.

Dan - do you have any photos of the disc? I don't recall that Evers piece at all.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Administrator

It was sold at a house auction probably about a year ago, but I can't remember which one...I'll try and dig for it.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Administrator

I can't seem to find it now Jon. Surely someone else remembers the odd Evers button type thing that showed up on ebay a few years back? It was discussed either here or on the card side when it was first discovered.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Thanks anyway Dan - appreciate the help!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Jon, I'll keep my eye out....I know it was in a fairly recent auction lately. I was an underbidder when it was on ebay a few years ago...I think it sold for around $150. I think your piece might be from the same manufacturer.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Kaplan

Hello,

Very interesting item. I've been a lurker (and occasional poster) on the pre-war forum for some time, and I think I may have found something helpful on this. To introduce myself, I have been interested in vintage cards and have been an avid reader of hobby literature since the mid-late '80s, although I haven't been able to afford to buy more than a couple of prewar cards.

When I read your post, I remembered this site which I had seen awhile back:
http://www.vintageball.com/FavoriteFinds.html
If you scroll down to the article titled "What Was Upstairs?", this article is about a collector who found a PM1 in a New Hampshire antique shop. According to the collector who wrote the story, the proprietor of the antique shop also had "a box full of these [PM1] pins and other jewelry made with the same photos including bracelets". Unfortunately the collector who wrote the story was unable to see or buy the rest of the collection. It sounds like some of this "other jewelry" may refer to what you have, and others may be out there.

Here's my theory: There are several card sets from the 1910 era which were cut from candy boxes. These boxes advertised other things in addition to the candy. For example, Dockman's "All Star Base-Ball Package" boxes contained "candy and gift", Konigsberg's "J=K" candy boxes advertised "Candy and Jewelry", and the boxes the Orange Borders came in also contained "Candy and Jewelry". My theory is that what you have (and/or the PM1s) are the "Jewelry" or "Gift" which came in one or more of these candy boxes, or perhaps in a different box (e.g. the set known as E-Unc).

Any thoughts? Does anyone else have any ideas?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Hal - very interesting theory. Thank you so much for bringing that story to my attention.

For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visithttp://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Old 03-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Kaplan

Glad I could help. I can't remember ever reading or hearing anything on what the "Jewelry" or "Gifts" could be, and since the boxes had baseball cards and were obviously marketed to kids who loved baseball, I would think that the "Jewelry" and "Gifts" were baseball-related as well.