NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-08-2020, 09:47 AM
Rick

Default A Picture Worth a Thousand Words

As a non-card memorabilia collector, this picture from the SCP website just amazed me. A 1954 PSA 10 Hank Aaron rookie card sells for 3 times the price of a Hammerin Hank 1967 game used and signed jersey graded a 9.5. And I know there are many other similar sales of card versus game-used item of the same player. The power of the PSA Registry?

Rick

aaron.jpg
Old 02-08-2020, 11:23 AM
Sean Sullivan

And that is why I basically stopped collecting cards, and starting collecting bats and jerseys.
It is astounding to me that a piece of cardboard that there are thousands of would be worth more than the actual player's uniform or bat or whatnot.

I think it is just AMAZING when I pick up a bat and know that Joe DiMaggio or Yaz or whomever used to actually use it.

On the other hand, I certainly do not mind that everyone else is willing to pay up for cardboard. It keeps the prices down on the stuff I like to collect.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:06 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDfan View Post
And that is why I basically stopped collecting cards, and starting collecting bats and jerseys.
It is astounding to me that a piece of cardboard that there are thousands of would be worth more than the actual player's uniform or bat or whatnot.

I think it is just AMAZING when I pick up a bat and know that Joe DiMaggio or Yaz or whomever used to actually use it.

On the other hand, I certainly do not mind that everyone else is willing to pay up for cardboard. It keeps the prices down on the stuff I like to collect.
Perfectly stated!!!!
Old 02-08-2020, 03:46 PM
Chris Counts

"That is why I basically stopped collecting cards, and starting collecting bats and jerseys"

I barely look up cards anymore on eBay, although it was my focus for years. Now it's mostly caps, jerseys and pins, and really just about anything that makes a great display item. I really enjoy discovering oddball stuff, and it seems like there are way more opportunities outside the realm of cards to get great deals. Compared to other stuff, cards just don't have the same bang for the buck. By the way, I rarely comment on the front page of Net54 anymore, but often in this section. I'm tired of reading about all the card scandals and scoundrels — I discover something interesting every day over here.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:07 PM
Ben North

Quote:

I am telling you from personal experience you need to completely ignore this poster.

For close to 3 decades I never once considered collecting baseball bats. I start emailing with the above poster, BAM. Now I have a custom made baseball bat display with several baseball bats displayed in it.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:12 PM
Rob

I don't understand the card guys....AT ALL!

Of course, I don't understand the Ruth guys, either.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:01 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Makes no logical sense whatsoever. Why would a mass-produced piece of cardboard with a simple photo of the player's image sell for multiple times more than an actual jersey he wore, or a bat he used?

Even worse... there's a very good chance that the PSA 10 of Aaron is altered, and not even what it's purported to be. This is true of any slabbed card, of course.

Great topic, as I have been amazed by this phenomenon for many years. It simply must be that more people collect cards than memorabilia... thus more bidders to drive up the price?

I keep thinking that these values will flip-flop, but amazingly they never do! Maybe now that PSA and Beckett have been exposed as being incompetent/complicit, things might finally change course?

Last edited by perezfan; 02-08-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:17 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:

I do have to say that I gutted my card collection about 10 years ago. I got rid of 98% of what I had. I have diversified since then into vintage items, autos, wheaties backs, and items that present nice. I'm a Reds fan, and last year Eugenio Suarez was having a career year. I decided I would buy my first game used item. I put in a bid on MLB auctions on a hat from a throwback jersey game in which Suarez hit two home runs. I had no competition. There were no bids during the last three days of bidding. I know the Reds are a small market team, but I thought that was shocking. It really made me consider if I should even look at cards anymore. I'm going to dabble again this year - maybe on a Joey Votto item.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 02-09-2020, 06:52 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I do have to say that I gutted my card collection about 10 years ago. I got rid of 98% of what I had. I have diversified since then into vintage items, autos, wheaties backs, and items that present nice. I'm a Reds fan, and last year Eugenio Suarez was having a career year. I decided I would buy my first game used item. I put in a bid on MLB auctions on a hat from a throwback jersey game in which Suarez hit two home runs. I had no competition. There were no bids during the last three days of bidding. I know the Reds are a small market team, but I thought that was shocking. It really made me consider if I should even look at cards anymore. I'm going to dabble again this year - maybe on a Joey Votto item.
I agree with what eveyrone in this thread is saying. But I will say this for collecting vintage cards at low grades: it can be much easier and cheaper than completing a set of game used bats for a vintage team. Prices for bats, hats, jerseys, etc. of the big names have been rising high and fast! And game used collecting has been known to have some of its own frauds and scams. But, on the whole, what we collect seems infinitely more closely related to the game.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:50 AM
Sean Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I agree with what eveyrone in this thread is saying. But I will say this for collecting vintage cards at low grades: it can be much easier and cheaper than completing a set of game used bats for a vintage team. Prices for bats, hats, jerseys, etc. of the big names have been rising high and fast! And game used collecting has been known to have some of its own frauds and scams. But, on the whole, what we collect seems infinitely more closely related to the game.
Unfortunately, it is true, game used stuff is not immune from the fraudsters.
I remember last year someone was trying to sell a Pete Rose game worn jersey on eBay. I almost bit, but at the last minute, I recognized the tiniest red flag, and walked away. Someone else did not though. I wonder how that turned out.
But generally speaking, for me, I have had pretty good luck (although not perfect) on the game used side than some of those other guys have had with the trimming debacles.
I do not play in the $10K - $100K circles, so I cannot imagine the sick feeling I would get if I just dropped a ton of money and found out my PSA 10 was trimmed (not to mention the home accounting office fallout!). So perhaps that has a lot to do with it as well. I can't afford the high end cards, so I gravitated to the more affordable game used instead.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:52 AM
Sean Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I am telling you from personal experience you need to completely ignore this poster.

For close to 3 decades I never once considered collecting baseball bats. I start emailing with the above poster, BAM. Now I have a custom made baseball bat display with several baseball bats displayed in it.
I have no idea what this guy is talking about.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:07 AM
Rick

I have nothing against collecting nice cards. I don't view this as a card collecting versus game used question. However the idea that collectors pay so much extra for a card graded a "10" versus one graded lower, when often the only way you can see the difference is under a magnifying glass, just seems so silly to me, and has nothing at all to do with the game. They might as well be collecting bottle caps (no insult intended to bottle cap collectors).

The PSA Registry was a stroke of marketing genius. They created a way for collectors to compete against each other for bragging rights, and have all the ability and incentive in the world to manage the quantity of cards graded as "9"'s or "10's, knowing collectors will keep breaking them out and resubmitting, paying PSA even more money. What a racket.

And has been pointed out, the odds that the "10" was trimmed seems pretty good right now.

I agree that there is fraud in collecting game-used as well, but it usually (not always) is aimed at making a fake item real, not altering it to increase a grade.

Rick
Old 02-09-2020, 02:43 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

Iv'e always wanted to dive into the world of fake bats!!!!.... The displays are NICE and I think I have one little nook in the office I could cram them into. No more than 5 BATS though. I should have listened
Old 02-09-2020, 04:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I wouldn't go so far as to trash card collectors. Personally, I don't have the room for bulky stuff like bats or jerseys. I also really like the artwork on cards and appreciate the ones i can get signed. i mean, how do you not like this:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-09-2020, 06:44 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to trash card collectors. Personally, I don't have the room for bulky stuff like bats or jerseys. I also really like the artwork on cards and appreciate the ones i can get signed. i mean, how do you not like this:

The question in my mind isn't whether cards are collectible. The question to me is would you pay twice as much for a card graded by PSA as a 7, or three times as much for an 8, or 4 times as much for a 9 (get the Picture?), so you could increase your point score on their registry. Or would you say, what a great card I have, period.

Rick
Old 02-12-2020, 03:37 PM
Ben North

This thread needs more non card pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BDnew.jpg (71.9 KB, 135 views)
Old 02-12-2020, 03:44 PM
Sean Sullivan

Quote:
This thread needs more non card pictures.
Definitely room for a few more on there.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:02 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I collect what I enjoy

The core of my collection is cards, but extends way beyond - newspapers, magazines, store model gloves, photographs, a couple of game used items, etc. As a collector I have not led with the idea of "competing" because PSA arbitrarily assigns a particular number to a particular card. I agree with the questionable judgement of "buying the holder".

As a seller - I have chosen not to ignore the fact that a card in a PSA holder demands more attention and $$ than one outside and have regularly "played the game" to maximize my return (without playing any alteration games)
Old 02-15-2020, 08:09 AM
Casey

I enjoy signed cards....more personal....I even take them out of the slabs...the price is not my goal...