NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-05-2020, 06:10 PM
Z@ch.K00ns

Default Would you buy from PWCC?

I know there’s been a lot written here and several skeptics of their products, but just curious where the board sits on personally purchasing from PWCC. As someone relatively new to vintage, they certainly have great eye appeal cards, but I’m not sure I can convince myself to buy given what I’ve read here.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:21 PM
Anson

I will save you the pain from the virtual tomato throwing and suggest you search the previous threads. There are similar ones regarding people's willingness to buy or not buy from PWCC.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:24 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsk View Post
I know there’s been a lot written here and several skeptics of their products, but just curious where the board sits on personally purchasing from PWCC. As someone relatively new to vintage, they certainly have great eye appeal cards, but I’m not sure I can convince myself to buy given what I’ve read here.
No and I have felt that way for many years.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:32 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

I will buy from any person/entity if the terms and conditions are appropriate - i.e. if the price is right. I don’t discriminate against a good deal.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:35 PM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Pwcc

Sometimes you just really need the card and they seem to always have it..
311-407 PSA 6
Old 10-05-2020, 06:41 PM
Kenny Cole

No.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:05 PM

If they had something extremely rare that I needed I would certainly bid on it but I'm sure it would end at some astronomical price way beyond my offer, legit bids or not. I have never won anything from them and only one time with Probstein in over twenty years on eBay. Like someone used to say, Stuff Trumps All.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:15 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I'll look at their 1500 card offering and choose maybe 3 cards to watch and while everybody is tripping over themselves overbidding for the fancy stuff, I'll quietly set limit bids and if I get it I get it.

For example: While everybody was salivating over Jackson's, Ruth's and Mantle's I was able to pick up a 1914 Cracker Jack Marquard for under market.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:46 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Would not buy from them for any card they offer. I just can't bring myself to give them any of my money after reading what they were involved in and are likely still involved in. No card is worth my self respect. Sorry.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 10-05-2020, 07:51 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I used to scan through every T206 auction PWCC had each month but during the past year, I don't anymore and have maybe 5 specific eBay searches for T206's from PWCC, so if they do happen to list one of those five cards, I can take a closer look and if it fits what I'm looking for, I add it to my watch list. I basically have a price ahead of time that I'm comfortable bidding up to. If it goes beyond that price before auction end, I just let it go. If not, I manually bid my max in the final seconds to avoid any artificial up bidding. If I win, great. If I'm outbid, that's fine too. There's never been a problem with slow shipping or bad packaging. That's never been the issue. The issues were always the shill bidding and the actual owners of the cards bidding up their own items. That's why if you manually bid in the last seconds and only bid up to what your comfortable paying, you will never have an issue. Too many people get caught up into being the high bidder throughout the entire auction. That's a dangerous move. There's also the people that turn the bidding into a real competition and have to win, regardless of cost. Just to be the winner. When many times winning the card is actually a losing move. Just play it smart. Know your lane and know when to bail when something doesn't seem right or feel right. That is my entire PWCC strategy. Plus staying away from newer purposely manufactured rarities that sparkle.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 10-05-2020, 07:57 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Would not buy from them for any card they offer. I just can't bring myself to give them any of my money after reading what they were involved in and are likely still involved in. No card is worth my self respect. Sorry.
Same here. It's obvious Probstein is not honest.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:06 PM
Scott S

I'll play devil's advocate - I consigned an expensive ($8K - $10K) card with PWCC that sold last month. I can assure I didn't shill bid or have anyone do so for me.

With 4 days left, it had already reached an all-time high for the card, and then ended another 20% higher than that by the time it was done.

I don't understand why, but I watched a bidding war take place with 8 days left between two people, and another one with 4-5 days left. We all know about sniping and waiting until the last second to bid, but I think other people may just have other strategies - bid early and scare people off, maybe? I don't understand it and wouldn't do it myself, but others do.

So with all that said, I'm sure there are plenty of issues with PWCC having shill bidders and other issues - but there are 100% legit auctions which do run through them as well, and at least some of those record prices are real.

Scott S@r!@n
Old 10-05-2020, 08:15 PM
Troy Rambo

There have been a few PWCC cards I would've really liked to have made a run for over the past year or so. Can't pull the trigger and not planning to change. I really don't look at their stuff much, either.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:31 PM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

No, would never buy from them, doesn’t matter the item or price.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:38 PM
Banned

i used to buy a lot from pwcc. then I didn't after their practices came to light. i made many many posts about not buying from them. that lasted for about a year. then they had a t206 that I just had to have. so i bid and won. but now, once again i am not doing business with them. until they have another card i want, no pwcc for me!
Old 10-05-2020, 08:46 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

reputation and trust is everything for me when it's my money. In transactions on this site, I have sent people money PPFF that I do not even know... and I don't think twice. but if someone has ever taken advantage of others over money, they are not worth my time.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 10-05-2020, 09:46 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Generally no

I used to buy from them and sell through them. After what's unfolded with "slabgate" and their part in it not to mention the shilling, I have not bid since. They also returned a consignment of a super rare item that was damaged in shipping or in their possession and never made good on it after saying they would. Too many reputable sellers with integrity to waste my time and money with them.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:27 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I have a strict policy of not doing business with criminals and fraudsters.

So I don't even look at the listings, much less bid.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:34 PM
Rick Seuferer

No to them and Probstein. Won't support horrible people. Plenty of other quality dealers to buy from.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:05 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

No frickin' way!!!
All of my ebay searches include these words:
-(deans, pwcc)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:21 AM

Over the years I purchased a handful of low value group lots at decent prices, and received consistently good service. However, since everything came out, I haven't bid on anything and only check them about 2 to 3 times a year to see if their vintage offerings have decreased. Plenty of other places to send my money and not support such an outfit, and as a result I avoid feeling icky about myself.

brianp(arker)-beme
Old 10-06-2020, 06:05 AM
Bruce Fairchild

I have bought many T206's from them in the past 4 years, glad I did. I got them (most) for great prices.
I now am selling my T206 collection. Last month I sold 50, graded 5-7 and starting last Saturday I'm selling another 90, also graded 5-7. I don't shill bid or do anything else deemed unethethical.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:10 AM
Chase

Personally I do not even look at their listings. If they are offering it, I do not need it. Even if I did need it, odds are it will be shilled and/or is altered. But I am in the minority because I hear prices and consignments are as strong as ever.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:39 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Personally I do not even look at their listings. If they are offering it, I do not need it. Even if I did need it, odds are it will be shilled and/or is altered. But I am in the minority because I hear prices and consignments are as strong as ever.
The train hasn't skipped a beat.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:57 AM
+0m J()rd@N

Nope, there is no piece of cardboard that I need that bad.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 10-06-2020, 11:27 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
The train hasn't skipped a beat.
Hoping the guys still buying from PWCC are not the same guys complaining that the grading companies are not doing their job.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:47 PM
Randy

nope
Old 10-06-2020, 03:01 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I think a lot of hard core collectors would reach down and take a card out of the inner coat pocket out of dying man on the sidewalk if it was needed bad enough.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:20 PM
John D.

I try and avoid them. I have plenty of good contacts and many other places to buy cards from. Between the folks on Net54 and some FB groups, may wallet is always light!
Old 10-06-2020, 04:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Everyone in this thread needs to read the rule at the top of every page, in bold letters. Please put your full name next to your post or edit your comments accordingly. Makes no difference to me except the rule is the rule. Thanks

Here is a CDV because every thread needs a card.. This wasn't acquired with the company being spoken about.

Old 10-06-2020, 05:04 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I think a lot of hard core collectors would reach down and take a card out of the inner coat pocket out of dying man on the sidewalk if it was needed bad enough.
Well...what does he need it for anyway!!!! Only if it were a dots miller w/nadja back!!! I try not to business with unsavories in the hobby...but its hard! I got this in the mail this week...i didnt even realize it was a pwcc auction...oops!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 5.33.58 PM.jpg (20.6 KB, 668 views)

Last edited by ullmandds; 10-07-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
That's a great visual, and so true. Thanks for the chuckle. Reminds me obliquely of something I noticed at the first Chicago national I attended. The first night the hotels were overrun with hookers. The next night they were all gone. Collectors are not going to waste card money on that.

As for the OP I decline to answer on the grounds that the answer may tend to incriminate me.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-07-2020 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:01 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Pwcc

Sure, at my price.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:14 AM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Default Yes

PWCC is perfectly fine to buy from.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:45 AM
Bobby Binder

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I have a strict policy of not doing business with criminals and fraudsters.

So I don't even look at the listings, much less bid.
Then you have a very small list of vendors you buy from in this hobby....LOL
Old 10-07-2020, 09:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyVCP View Post
Then you have a very small list of vendors you buy from in this hobby....LOL
I couldn't disagree more. I think the vast majority of folks/dealers are honest. But maybe I am naive?
Old 10-07-2020, 09:39 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Hoping the guys still buying from PWCC are not the same guys complaining that the grading companies are not doing their job.
Welcome to 2020 and modern society, where hypocrisy isn't frowned upon anymore.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:30 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Yes, they serve the community. PWCC consigned cards are as good as anyone elses.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
Yes, they serve the community. PWCC consigned cards are as good as anyone elses.
And if they're not, they can always make them better.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:50 PM
J0hn Collin$

I don't recall on what, but eBay tells me I've done business with PWCC before. Anymore - no, not really. I collect mostly midgrade postwar on a budget - there is nothing I'm after that PWCC has an exclusive on that dozens / hundreds of other honest dealers and sellers online don't already have in spades. I think both PWCC and PSA did a pretty poor job of responding to the allegations that were leveled at them.

Last edited by jchcollins; 10-07-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:50 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
then they had a t206 that I just had to have. so i bid and won. but now, once again i am not doing business with them. until they have another card i want, no pwcc for me!
I am not picking on Ronnie but this is what goes on with most collectors. Nothing wrong with that. I find it hard to walk past the Entenmann's "fake" chocolate donuts without grabbing a box.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:35 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

I get that most posting on this subject is making a statement through their actions. If that is the case then look into your TPG's (PSA comes to mind) do you stop buying anything PSA graded? Because of the potential issues surrounding their business?

Let's not be hypocritical here. Pointing fingers can't stop at one source.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:36 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

If you care about the slab, it's fine. The Caveat, many cards are altered, and others that can achieve a higher grade are shilled so high there is barely any meat on the bone. Low grade, rare cards I'm sure you are fine. High grade, playing with fire, dont cry if you get burned

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-07-2020, 04:31 PM
Josh Adams

yes
Old 10-07-2020, 06:54 PM
Chase

Quote:
I get that most posting on this subject is making a statement through their actions. If that is the case then look into your TPG's (PSA comes to mind) do you stop buying anything PSA graded? Because of the potential issues surrounding their business?

Sorta get your point...I stated something about that earlier however we do not have as many options with TPG as we do with places to buy cards. There are lots of other outlets that come with far less issues.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:25 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:

I agree with you in theory, but the reality is that PSA is just so pervasive. Professional grading certainly has it's faults, but if I'm buying a $100 card that I'm not able to physically inspect first online, I'm going to want something in a slab. I am an SGC fan and will always try to find their slabs first, but in many cases whatever I'm looking for exists in multiples online with PSA vs. SGC. While I don't think PSA is totally above board, at least recently in their dealings with PWCC and possibly others, I do think that a vast majority of midrange vintage cards in their slabs are apt to be accurately graded. Last year's scandal, while disturbing - didn't really do much in terms of knocking PSA from their position / reputation as the market leader. Vintage HOF cards still easily sell for more in PSA slabs than the same card raw. While I can say I don't like this, as a collector who occasionally sells cards to finance other things - I also can't totally ignore it.

I will agree it's a bit of a double-edged sword and less than an ideal situation.

Last edited by jchcollins; 10-08-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:28 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

John, I totally agree with what you're saying.

My main point was that PWCC, PSA, SGC, Heritage, uncle Rick etc etc. are all in the middle serving our community. You also throw in sketchy shill bid collectors/card doctors then you have a collective bunch who are in this together. Just want to make it clear in my honest opinion there is no one source to blame.

To hate on a particular entity within the community is like hating on the community as a whole. It's a cyclical hobby and we are all in it together.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
To hate on a particular entity within the community is like hating on the community as a whole. It's a cyclical hobby and we are all in it together.
This statement is patently false. There some people in this hobby who are crooks, liars, cheaters, etc. They are pieces of shit and deserve to be “hated” on, which is in no way a reflection on the vast majority of decent folk collecting cardboard. I understand it’s not always black and white - in most cases it’s a shade of gray- but you think it’s wrong to “hate” on Gary Moser and other clear scum bags?

In fact, I think we have a duty to hate on those particular entities that are problematic- at least call them out and talk about them. This is how we self police and help the vast majority of good folks.

Ryan Hotchkiss
Old 10-08-2020, 12:19 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:

Regarding the part in bold, my answer is yes. But I would remove the word "potential" from the last sentence.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:39 PM
J0hn Collin$

Yeah Martin, I would disagree. PSA has had shady elements to its business practices for decades now in terms of who gets what grades, what cards may or may not be altered, consistency of grading over time, the list goes on and on. But the hobby as a whole did not hard check them enough over this most recent episode to make a difference, other than a bunch of the usual complaining. There's a conflict of interest here in theory for most of us - we suspect skulduggery on some level with a grader, but most of us have slabs with nice cards from said grader that would be worth less and perhaps even substantially less if indeed that grader's reputation is noticeably harmed. So we don't do it.

I don't know if that means we can't continue to call out individual bad actors and things that we know are wrong. For PSA before 2018, there is a lot of speculation, but not a ton of absolute proof in terms of wrongdoing. (That is if you don't consider the case of the very first card they ever graded - which was known to be altered at the time, and was slabbed as not being that way regardless).

If we are being positive and not criticizing the community as a whole, sure I would like to see PSA "improve" - but I think you do this via a free market and giving them more competition. Place more emphasis on correct authentication and the subtleties of alteration than simply focusing on the difference between a PSA 9 and 10, perhaps. But again, there would have to be a market demand to do this - and if the past 2 years for PWCC and PSA are any indication - a few people here on message boards that are actually card geeks and not just flip worshippers have not been nearly enough to do that.

Last edited by jchcollins; 10-08-2020 at 01:28 PM.