NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Default when and how did you start?

Posted By: scott

i was wondering how long you have been involved with pre-war cards? how did you start?sell a previous collection for capital to buy? a very broad question...i know.

scott

Old 07-27-2005, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: pete ullman

funny you should ask...I was just pondering posting that exact question.

I began collecting cards as a young boy...6-7 years old I believe. Mostly current cards...70's. My dad would ask his friends if they had any unwanted bb cards and this is how I amassed most significant cards from the late 50's to current. I aquired a t206 white cap mathewson and a 33 goudey eddie collins at a show for like $5 combined.

After wrecking my 76 ford granada I needed a car and I sold most of my cards to fund a 77 camaro. At the age of 20 or so I got interested again and vowed to only collect cards I had never owned and began collecting only vintage. that was in 1990 or so.

pete in mn

Old 07-27-2005, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Son got me hooked in 1979, because I had to accompany him to the bb card shop with his $5 allowence each week. He quit after three years; I didn't. Had to sell almost all of them in 1989 to support family, and then got into 19th century cards.
My first card: "Chris, why don't you buy that one?" "But MOM--it costs a whole dollar!" "That's O.K. I'll pay for it..." Beginning of the end...

Last card:

Not 19th century, as it happens...

Old 07-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JudgeDred2

Julie, in what city were you located when you started collecting?

Old 07-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Seth B.

When I was younger, my favorite card store got a 9-card binder page of T206s. This was in 1989 when a 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco was the holy grail, and my Dad brought me fancy-schmancy "Upper Deck" cards from a business trip to Seattle, as you couldn't get them nationwide yet. (I pulled a very valuable Ricky Jordan rookie, there's a bust!)
I went with my usual card allowance, but pooled my resources, and bought a VG-EX Jack Bliss card, which I still own, for ten bucks. It was an ENORMOUS amount for me at the time for one card. I remember the dealer had a Cy Young pitching with the entire front skinned except for the name, he was selling it for 25 dollars, but I decided to go for the whole card.
Anyway, the Bliss was always my favorite card until I stopped collecting around '94. When I started again, I dumped the modern stuff, and pursued more Jack Bliss-esque cards. There you go.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

A hunting friend of Dad gave me about 50 T206s that were his father's. This was back in 1967. The group had a green and red Cobb BTW.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Lloyd

Well,

.. Like most I collected as a child in the late 1960's to Mid 1970's
and still have many of my cards today.. I did sell a 1933 Babe Ruth card # 144 in mint condition in 1986 for 250 dollars.. BOY, I wish I could take that one back!!!! However, as a child I loved my cards and played with them so there shape is not that great.... I spent the early 1990s collecting all the cool inserts and high tech cards which I have MANY boxes in my attack.. But I stopped after awhile because I figured out I was paying BIG bucks for cards that would NEVER NEVER have any future value PLUS the players were all new and I did not have time to follow them..

I started collecting about 4 years ago when I bought a KRAUSE price guide for fun at Barnes and Noble... I saw all the cool regional food and minor league cards...at the same time I bought a new computer for the family and FINALLY discovered EBAY!!!!

.. I have not looked back since and ebay has become my main source in finding vintage regional food and minor leagure cards... I guess its better late then never..

Best
Dick

Old 07-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Geno

I started collecting pre-war when I was high school. I grew up in Freeport, IL and made the trek into Chicago for the National (or maybe it was just a big show) sometime around 1981 or so (can't remember the year exactly). Anyway, I was looking for a Reggie Jackson rookie and saw a lot of ten or so T205s in VGish shape. I bought them all, including Frank Chance, for about $10 and the guy threw in an Ex-Mtish Eddie Collins for another $15 or so. That hooked me on T205s and I finally completed a basic set about five years ago. Man, that seems like it was yesterday...

Take Care, Geno

Old 07-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

When I was a kid I used my allowence and/or yardwork money and ordered a 1933 Goudey from the Larry Frisch catalog. For the money you got a random common. I still own the card (Jack Quinn). Back then I also bought from the catalog a couple of autographed baseballs (Lou Brock and Steve Garvey) and a 1941 Play Ball reprint set. But not all at once-- I wasn't made of money.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

david...
back in the late 70's i also ordered from larry fritsch cards.random picks from 1933 goudey,t205.t206,and 1939 playball.i made out well as i got paul waner,frank chance,fred clarke and charlie gehringer!sweet random picks!those were the days...

scott

Old 07-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

I started collecting when I was about 11 years old in Los Angeles. I loved the Big Red Machine and my dad was from the Bronx and used to sneak into Yankee stadium as a kid in the early 40's. He told me about those great players and we got books about the history of baseball, so I became obsessed with the old timers more so then the players of the day. That summer we went to N.Y. and my dad took me on a trip to Coperstown where I really got hooked. I used to work for him in the summers and got $50.00 a week and every Saturdeay I would take a bus to ACME, owned by Goody and buy cards of only Hall of Famers, Cobbs, Matty's, Johnsons where all $4 or $5, Gehrigs and Ruth where $25. I would look in my books and read about players and go and ask for them and buy them. After my Bar Mitzvah my dad let me buy $2000 worth of cards and I picked up a T206 Plank for $150. I still have them all in a safety deposit box about 2000 cards in all. Maybe one day I will sell but not in the near future. I only wish I knew about all of the error cards and tried set collecting. I probably could of gotten T206 commos for less then $1.00 each. Oh well, woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

I am not sure as to when I began collecting prewar. However, my late grandfather (God bless him) had gotten myself into baseball card collecting in 1988 because he had wanted me to have a hobby. He had just recently retired from his job in 1988. Therefore, he had plenty of time to help me focus on my collecting interests. We would attend local baseball card shows, as well as local baseball card shops too. I STILL have about 99.9% of the cards that we had purchased together. Mostly 1950's-1960's cards since neither one of us knew what to collect. I wish I knew THEN what I know NOW. But my grandfather, was not a collector, nor did he follow baseball. Gradually, he did get "into" baseball as my hobby, became my passion. He would attend the Bob Feller Museum with me, and watch the World Series and all-star games with me. One of my fondest moments, was watching Mac's 62nd homerun game with him on television. Those my friends, are the memories that I will cherish, and miss forever.

Best regards,

Adam J. Moraine

Posted in loving memory of Harry J. Pittman, Jr. (1926-2001)

Old 07-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

I started this year after a 5-year hiatus from the frustration with modern cards. It's coming along slowly because, for one, the items I want rarely come out of the woodwork, and two, I don't have the financial firepower to obtain them right now.

Old 07-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bob donaldson

When I was about 10 (1972) I got a catalog from Wholesale Cards in Georgetown Conn. I still have the catalog. I loved looking at all the old cards and for Christmas/Birthdays my mother would let me get some cards. I got a couple T206 for 75 cents and miscellaneous Topps/Bowman cards from the 50's. The Goudeys were $4. Couldn't afford those! A few years after a card store opened in my town and I would spend paper route money there. Finally bought a Goudey Lefty O'Doul for $5. Then my dad got me a Joe Cronin for my BDay. Got the last card (#92 Gehrig) from a board member about a week ago. Only took me 30 year to complete the set! Minus Lajoie of course.

Took a hiatus in the 80's and most of the 90's but with the advent of the Internet and espcially Ebay I've been able to startup again collecting well loved (PSA 1, 2's or less) Goudeys, T Cards and others.

thanks

Bob

Old 07-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

King's Baseball Cards

Old 07-27-2005, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JudgeDred2

Julie,

I had a feeling you were going to say that. My first visit to Kings was around 1976 or 1977. I went a few times when I was spending some time up their with a friend of mine. That was a fun and interesting baseball card store.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Street in berkeley--posters, modern art. I am told he still sells baseball cards out of the basement--but I'[ve never caught him in.

A week later, after the Brock, he was putting a '55 Robinbson away (making sure that I could see it), and I gave him a note--"I'll give you $20 for the Robinson." I'd never seen a price guide, didn't know what year it was from, and deluded myself into thinking I was buying it for Chris:

Many years later, when he set up at one of Dennis Purdy's vintage shows in Concord, I bought what was close to my first 19th century card from him. 'For you, $1000," he said (there was a higher price marked on it). I don't think it was a great deal by any means, but I still have the card:

Actually, aside from the upper left corner, that's a pretty damn spiffy card--so cloear!