NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-22-2020, 08:30 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Didn'tja always wonder if he was safe or out?

I've seen this card a million times, and have always wondered whether or not Tony Perez was safe or out at first. Be honest, haven't you also looked at this picture innumerable times and wondered whether or not The Big Dog's foot was going fast enough to overcome the velocity of that relay throw?? The card itself suggests he was out, as "A's Make It Two Straight" makes you think that this was some sort of game-clinching double play or such...

s-l1600-18.jpg

But in searching the web for a 1972 World Series Game 2 video, all that ever seems to appear is the version where a couple of innings are skipped over, with the broadcast 'resuming' in the 7th inning. I watched the entire thing, and this play is nowhere to be seen. Therefore, it had to have occurred sometime in the middle (edited out) portion of the game, probably in the 5th or 6th inning. Another thread here mentioned retrosheet.org, so I hightailed it over there and found the play-by-play listing of the game. The mystery is over!! Tony P was safe on a fielder's choice!!! Johnny Bench was (obviously) forced at second, after a walk.

Weird thing is, it ended up being a one-run game (2-1) and this play really did nothing (for either team) to affect the outcome. The result was one man out and a runner on first. That's it...but it is quite a cool photograph.

Here's the official verbiage:
"REDS 6TH: HEGAN REPLACED LEWIS (PLAYING 1B); Bench walked; Perez
forced Bench (third to second); Menke grounded out (pitcher to
first) [Perez to second]; Geronimo flied to center; 0 R, 0 H, 0
E, 1 LOB. Athletics 2, Reds 0."

Here's an odd postscript to add. Look at first baseman Mike Hegan's positioning, and how his right leg is stretching towards right field. The ball appears to be a bb fired from the right side of the second base bag (his mitt and straight right arm positioning confirms it)...but look how far away Dick Green is from the throw's probable origin. You would think that gunning the ball, then being toppled by a future HOF catcher and ending up in the dirt where he did would have taken longer to happen, but the ball still hasn't reached first base. Weird. Conclusion: high-speed photography is awesome. Look at the clouds of dust and dirt flying.

***If anyone finds a video of the actual play, please post a link.***

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 12-23-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:56 PM
Andrew

I would bet good money that Bench came in with a slide that would be quite illegal today.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:32 PM
M-@-t-t--H-@-f-f-n-e-r

Default Close Play

He was safe. Scroll down to the 6th inning in the Play-by-Play -https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...97210150.shtml
Old 12-22-2020, 09:41 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by runbrett View Post
He was safe. Scroll down to the 6th inning in the Play-by-Play -https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...97210150.shtml
Yes, that is specifically why I wrote "The mystery is over!! Tony P was safe on a fielder's choice!!! Johnny Bench was (obviously) forced at second, after a walk."

Did you not even bother reading the post before commenting on it????

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 12-22-2020, 11:15 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Anyone seen a signed copy of this card by all parties? I know there are signed set collectors out there who must have one.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 12-23-2020, 06:27 AM
Albert Bee

Default WS card

meaningless play in Topps WS cards..

reminds me of that 1960 T WS card...forgot the game..but caption said something like " LA Dodgers Neal steals 2nd "..shows him sliding in....but CHI won the game 10 -0
Old 12-23-2020, 12:13 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The play may have been meh but the card is a nice action shot with multiple HOFers in it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-23-2020, 04:32 PM
Steve

Default Fun Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Yes, that is specifically why I wrote "The mystery is over!! Tony P was safe on a fielder's choice!!! Johnny Bench was (obviously) forced at second, after a walk."
Darren: Thanks for the post. The A's first sacker in that photo is actually Mike Hegan #20 - not Epstein.
The only play I ever recall from that series is the hilarious - and brilliant - trick pulled by Dick Williams in the eighth inning of Game 3. With Fingers pitching to Bench on a full count with two outs and two runners aboard, Tolan steals second after Ball 3. Williams - feigning anger and frustration - stalks to the mound and, after a heated discussion, signals to the plate ump for an intentional Ball four to Bench. Catcher stands with his arm outstretched toward first base, then quickly squats back down as Fingers delivers a perfect fastball on the outside corner for a called Strike 3. In Red's dugout, Sparky Anderson screams and hurls his cap at the wall in disbelief. Red's go on to win the game 1 - 0, but Williams goes down in Baseball lore.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:48 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Darren: Thanks for the post. The A's first sacker in that photo is actually Mike Hegan #20 - not Epstein.
The only play I ever recall from that series is the hilarious - and brilliant - trick pulled by Dick Williams in the eighth inning of Game 3. With Fingers pitching to Bench on a full count with two outs and two runners aboard, Tolan steals second after Ball 3. Williams - feigning anger and frustration - stalks to the mound and, after a heated discussion, signals to the plate ump for an intentional Ball four to Bench. Catcher stands with his arm outstretched toward first base, then quickly squats back down as Fingers delivers a perfect fastball on the outside corner for a called Strike 3. In Red's dugout, Sparky Anderson screams and hurls his cap at the wall in disbelief. Red's go on to win the game 1 - 0, but Williams goes down in Baseball lore.
Thanks for that! Said bye bye to Epstein in the original post.

Edited to add: Sadly, my career as an Oakland Athletics researcher is over before it ever began. Jeez, in the very first line of the info I quoted from retrosheet.org, it says, "REDS 6TH: HEGAN REPLACED LEWIS (PLAYING 1B); [emphasis added] Bench walked; Perez"...

Casey Stengel

Last edited by JollyElm; 12-23-2020 at 08:03 PM.