NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-27-2017, 07:42 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Default Iconic card you Want but you don't like the set/image.

So what do you do here guys ?

Do you purchase the card just because?

Do you say, I think I'll get the second year card?

Do you just move on?

And I guess you could also ask the reverse question.

How about a set you love but a valuable card that you don't like in the set/image.

The first card that come to my mind is 1948 Bowman phil rizzuto rc .
This is a iconic card I don't really care for . I even like the 1949 Bowman Berra over the 1948 Bowman Yogi Berra .
Old 01-27-2017, 08:26 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I figured you were talking about the 1970 Topps Thurman Munson...
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:23 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I figured you were talking about the 1963 Pete Rose.

One of my fav's growing up and I have all his cards except the '63.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 01-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Johnny MaZilli

1972 Topps Clemente. My least favorite set of the post war era.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:03 AM

1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. The ugliest card ever made by Topps in my opinion.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:05 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I don't care for 52 topps at all.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:06 AM
George

The '73 Schmidt rookie comes to mind. Not a bad card itself, but part of my least-favorite set. I was 8 years old when the 1973 cards came out and remember being hugely disappointed in them after the exuberant 1972 set. My feelings toward the '73 set, and 1973 in general, were largely influenced by the death of my favorite player, Roberto Clemente, on New Year's Eve and the first-series card of him that didn't acknowledge his passing (I was too young to appreciate printing schedules; but couldn't they have put out a commemorative card in the later series?). Years later, I still think the 1973 design was poor and many of the action photos were terrible. To me, the decline from 787 cards in 1972 to 660 cards in 1973 fits right in with Watergate, the tail end of Vietnam, gas shortages, avocado-colored appliances and other early-1970s blights.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:10 PM
Bob F.

Realizing I might be pummeled for the following opinion, but here goes. I would have loved to call the 53 Bowman Color set complete without buying the Pee Wee Reese card. I hate it.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:59 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
Realizing I might be pummeled for the following opinion, but here goes. I would have loved to call the 53 Bowman Color set complete without buying the Pee Wee Reese card. I hate it.
LOL

Same here, and one of the biggest reasons I stopped working on it - I knew that I would have to not only buy that card, but also the horrible Berra, Bauer, Mantle card as well.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 01-28-2017, 04:53 PM

Default Least favorite iconic card...

1959 Bob Gibson...

First...I don't care for the peek a boo design in 1959. Then...add the color pink on the Gibby card and it makes him look like a "Pink Nightmare" similar to Ralphy when he wore the Pink Bunny outfit on 'The Christmas Story'.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:39 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintonlyplz View Post
1959 Bob Gibson...

First...I don't care for the peek a boo design in 1959. Then...add the color pink on the Gibby card and it makes him look like a "Pink Nightmare" similar to Ralphy when he wore the Pink Bunny outfit on 'The Christmas Story'.
Thank you! I so prefer the 60 to the 59.

Another dog, the 1973 Clemente. WTF were they thinking?

The 1972s are an acquired taste but they do have one of the great cards of all time:

Whoops! Guess little Johnny learned some fun new hand gestures when he pulled this from a pack.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-28-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:42 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosluggo View Post
The '73 Schmidt rookie comes to mind. Not a bad card itself, but part of my least-favorite set. I was 8 years old when the 1973 cards came out and remember being hugely disappointed in them after the exuberant 1972 set. My feelings toward the '73 set, and 1973 in general, were largely influenced by the death of my favorite player, Roberto Clemente, on New Year's Eve and the first-series card of him that didn't acknowledge his passing (I was too young to appreciate printing schedules; but couldn't they have put out a commemorative card in the later series?). Years later, I still think the 1973 design was poor and many of the action photos were terrible. To me, the decline from 787 cards in 1972 to 660 cards in 1973 fits right in with Watergate, the tail end of Vietnam, gas shortages, avocado-colored appliances and other early-1970s blights.
I feel the same way about the 1973 set.Steve Garvey was my hometown hero and that year's card is not only the worst Garvey of them all card but the worst in the entire 1973 set. Maybe one of the worst cards of all time. Thankfully, his 1974 card made up for it. The photo on that card is epic.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaidly View Post
I feel the same way about the 1973 set.Steve Garvey was my hometown hero and that year's card is not only the worst Garvey of them all card but the worst in the entire 1973 set. Maybe one of the worst cards of all time. Thankfully, his 1974 card made up for it. The photo on that card is epic.
I believe the Garvey card was suppose to be the Wes Parker card ; )....
Old 01-29-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I believe the Garvey card was suppose to be the Wes Parker card ; )....
Interesting that Parker, the long time Dodgers first baseman, is greeting his successor at home. It's too bad this photo wasn't take a moment later when Parker wasn't obscuring Garvey.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:02 PM
Curt

It is a bad shot for Garvey, but I have grown to like it all the same. It is in line with so many of the action shots of that set. I personally like them over the boring batting practice poses they use on so many other cards. The 78 Topps Garvey could have been so much more….

If I saw this card coming out of a pack as a young, first year collector who just discovered Garvey and would go on to collect his stuff for almost 40 years, I would have gone crazy even though you don't see his face. This is a fantasy card another Garvey collector i know created. I love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1978 Topps Steve Garvey AS MVP.jpg (75.9 KB, 226 views)
Old 01-29-2017, 02:00 PM
Al Richter

Default 1953 Bowman

Bob-- it would be awesome if you would take a video of yourself burning your 53 Reese and post it in this thread. Or maybe pasting a different picture on the front of it.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I figured you were talking about the 1963 Pete Rose.......
+1
Old 01-29-2017, 03:53 PM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Bob-- it would be awesome if you would take a video of yourself burning your 53 Reese and post it in this thread. Or maybe pasting a different picture on the front of it.
Unfortunately, mine is entombed in plastic. Maybe I'll film myself burning your Reese.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:38 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Me three. It's one of the most overrated cards of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
LOL

Same here, and one of the biggest reasons I stopped working on it - I knew that I would have to not only buy that card, but also the horrible Berra, Bauer, Mantle card as well.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:02 PM
Al Richter

Default Reese

Bob-- I left it at home. You know where to find it.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:51 AM
And*y Quig!ey

I'm a Mets collector yet I don't have either of their HOF RCs, Seaver or Ryan.
I guess the main reason is that I'm not a big fan of composite rookie cards. Also, while I don't tend to be driven by scarcity, the Ryan card just feels overpriced to me as it seems like there are a billion of them out there.
Part of me would definitely like to have both cards. If he didn't happen to be paired with Ryan, Koosman's RC would be a no-brainer; and Tom is, well, Tom. Plus I like that Tom's paired with the guy they traded (Denehy) to get Gil Hodges as their manager.
Still, thus far I've never come close to buying either card. I prefer my 1969s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1969 Seaver.jpg (5.1 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg 1969 Ryan.jpg (4.3 KB, 186 views)
Old 01-30-2017, 01:54 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
1959 Bob Gibson...

I agree with this to the Bob Gibson rookie is a let down.

many multi player rookie cards have less appeal to them as stated by many here.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:40 PM
J0hn Collin$

1957 Topps. Yes, the famous first "genuine color" Topps set, and it has a few great cards, but on the whole I think the photography is dull and listless, and I can't imagine anything much more boring than trying to put a '57 Topps set together. Don't get me wrong, if anyone wants to give me the Mantle or Ted Williams (the #407 Mantle / Berra is really nice too...) I'd jump at the chance, but on the whole I'm just not a fan of the set. Also annoying that some cards when printed with the right colors can be beautiful, but the same card often turned out dull and ugly because of differences in (the ink? The cardboard? Something?) the printing process. I'll go out on a limb even to say I like '58 Topps more than '57 because on the whole, they are more colorful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2017, 02:50 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
Yep, not a fan of the rushed cut and paste look and poorly colorized photos. I only have the Zernial because I like the pic.

To each their own.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:53 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
Bob!

...if I didn't owe you forever for giving me the card I was looking 10 years for.

lol.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:58 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

53B Musial - Stan, get out of that safe haven drab dugout and grab the Slaughter pose. Geez, you look like yer rockin' a baby or huggin' yer inner self. BE The Man!

53T Mays - I don't care how high the grade,. In a set full of great headshots, Willie looks like he just came up with a slow roller in short center field.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:30 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Yep, not a fan of the rushed cut and paste look and poorly colorized photos. I only have the Zernial because I like the pic.

To each their own.
You guys are killing me! It's the most recognized/worldly/universal set in existence! How can you not like them? (j/k, each to their own as was mentioned)

My least favorite, with my limited experience, would have to be the 55 Bowman set. Not sure what they were thinking with the T.V.'s, but going all the way back to the early 50's, I'm sure T.V.'s were the latest rage so Bowman thought they would try and capitalise on that?
Old 01-30-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
You guys are killing me! It's the most recognized/worldly/universal set in existence! How can you not like them? (j/k, each to their own as was mentioned)

My least favorite, with my limited experience, would have to be the 55 Bowman set. Not sure what they were thinking with the T.V.'s, but going all the way back to the early 50's, I'm sure T.V.'s were the latest rage so Bowman thought they would try and capitalise on that?
I just don't like the Mantle. Who uses a yellow bat? I would have never bought the card except I needed it to complete a run of Topps sets. I would agree that as a set, the 55 Bowman is the worst and the 55 Topps is my favorite.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:06 PM
Al Richter

Default 1955

Irv-- Not just TVs, but color TVs. Check out how many ( few) color TVs existed in 1955
Old 01-30-2017, 06:51 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Irv-- Not just TVs, but color TVs. Check out how many ( few) color TVs existed in 1955
Good point, Al.

I don't recall how old I was when my folks got a colored T.V., but I can say, the 50's were long gone by then.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:12 AM
And*y Quig!ey

I was born in the 1960s and since I was a kid I loved the kitchiness of the wood paneled "Color TV" theme of the 55 Bowman's.
With the first mainstream color TVs available in 1954, it was an honest attempt to use something cutting edge to compete with Topps. Of course, even if people had color TV sets (in 1964 still only 3% of U.S. houses had one) there were very few color broadcasts.
I guess I'm glad these cards are relatively unpopular as it keeps them more affordable. I'll always consider it a truly classic set that reflects its time more than almost any other. Sort of like the Art Deco design of the Diamond Stars in the mid 30s.

Last edited by ajquigs; 01-31-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:06 AM
George

When the '55 Bowmans were released, holding a color TV in your hand was unimaginable. Aside from the Mays and Aaron, I've never collected them, but I think it's a very cool, of-its-time design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mays x2.jpg (69.5 KB, 148 views)
Old 01-31-2017, 07:52 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I don't know if it's iconic as its appearance makes it less desirable. Most of cards in the 1948 Bowman set are ugly, but a Rookie Card Mug Shot of a Hall-of-Famer takes the cake:

1948 bowman spahn.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-31-2017, 08:01 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Good point, Al.

I don't recall how old I was when my folks got a colored T.V., but I can say, the 50's were long gone by then.
Yeah this is definitely another "each unto his own" set. I absolutely love the '55 Bowmans and have never understood why they aren't more popular. The TV sets just scream 1950's. Yes, it's true that virtually nobody had a color set in 1955, although the technology did exist. I'll take the fact that it's not the most popular set (at least in comparison to '55 and '56 Topps) - just means I can get them for cheaper!
Old 01-31-2017, 09:05 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I love baseball I love TV I love cards so I'm cool with the 1955 bowman set. I don't however like the umpires. It might as well be a bunch of checklists.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:25 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
I love baseball I love TV I love cards so I'm cool with the 1955 bowman set. I don't however like the umpires. It might as well be a bunch of checklists.
I love the 55 Bowman set. I agree on the umpires sucking, they are also insanely overpriced. The Mantle and Aaron cards are the only 2 that sell for more than the umpire cards in the same condition. I know I have bought and sold a few Mays cards for less than I paid for several of the umpire cards I have.

I think it was the mid 70's before we had a color TV. Seen several B/W sets being used as second TVs in kids/parents bedrooms through the mid 80's.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:45 PM
Kris

This will probably be unpopular but I think the 56 Topps Mantle is frightening. The head shot of the Mick makes him look like some kind of frog monster.
Mick 56.jpg

Last edited by Puckettfan; 01-31-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:31 PM

You're not the only one, Puckettfan. I love Mantle cards, and I love the '56 set. The '56 Mantle? Not so much.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:33 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I love the 55 Bowman set. I agree on the umpires sucking, they are also insanely overpriced. The Mantle and Aaron cards are the only 2 that sell for more than the umpire cards in the same condition. I know I have bought and sold a few Mays cards for less than I paid for several of the umpire cards I have.

I think it was the mid 70's before we had a color TV. Seen several B/W sets being used as second TVs in kids/parents bedrooms through the mid 80's.
I picked up a 1955 Bowman Mays for 25 buck last year. Obviously not mint but far from a beater for sure. And I've been eyeing up 1955 Bowman Aaron of late.

Puckett fan I also hate that head shot but love the leaping image in the back round. He looks odd to say the least in the head shot.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:03 PM
And*y Quig!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckettfan View Post
This will probably be unpopular but I think the 56 Topps Mantle is frightening. The head shot of the Mick makes him look like some kind of frog monster.
Attachment 259723
I admit I'm far from being a Mantle collector (the only one I have ... '55 Bowman) but I'm with you that the '56 picture is one of his worst. To me, his mouth is almost clown like.

Last edited by ajquigs; 01-31-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:04 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckettfan View Post
Attachment 259723
We all have different tastes and likes, and that's a good thing, trust me, but personally, I love the 56 Mantle card. Next to my 52 Topps copy, that is definitely my next favorite.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:27 PM
Val Kehl

I think the 1956 Topps Mantle is the ugliest of all the regular-issue Bowman and Topps cards of Mantle. This said, I still have this 1956 Topps Mantle card that I pulled from a pack when I was a kid! But, I'll happily trade it for a pre-War cards I want.

1955 may have been the year my folks got our first (b&w) TV set. Perhaps this is why I have always liked the 1955 Bowmans. Bowman cards weren't available where I bought my cards as a kid, but I was able to get some from my buddies via trades. IMHO, the 1955 Bowman Mantle is a much nicer looking card!
Val
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956T Mantle - front.jpg (78.0 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 1955B Mantle - front.jpg (77.7 KB, 135 views)
Old 01-31-2017, 09:01 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

It is fascinating the way different people view things. 56 Mantle is in my all time top 5 favorite and maybe #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
I think the 1956 Topps Mantle is the ugliest of all the regular-issue Bowman and Topps cards of Mantle. This said, I still have this 1956 Topps Mantle card that I pulled from a pack when I was a kid! But, I'll happily trade it for a pre-War cards I want.

1955 may have been the year my folks got our first (b&w) TV set. Perhaps this is why I have always liked the 1955 Bowmans. Bowman cards weren't available where I bought my cards as a kid, but I was able to get some from my buddies via trades. IMHO, the 1955 Bowman Mantle is a much nicer looking card!
Val
Old 01-31-2017, 11:34 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

To me, there's a bit of a weighted balancing act in play with regard to the '56 Mantle card. I, personally, think he looks quite creepy in the headshot. Yowza. But that background is one of the greatest in-action images in the history of baseball cards. So it's easy to give less weight to his face and a helluva lot more weight to him catching that ball in the stands to deem it a beautiful card overall.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:50 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

About 4 years ago I bought a starter set of about 350 '69 Topps. I loved the photography of the cards especially compared to my sets from the 70's. It seemed like a great set to put together because the high numbers weren't expensive. But what I didn't realize was that were a ton of just ugly, strange cards that year. The Houston cards and all the other black-hatted / no hatted cards made for a pretty disappointing set to collect the entire thing. I wish I had just collected the hall of famers. The Bench card is still one of my favorites.

s-l400.jpg

Last edited by SAllen2556; 02-01-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:18 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I wonder if they would have made a 1955 topps mantle if it would have had that
Face shot. As I know that the 1955 -56 share the head shot image. We could have had two years of that mug !!!! Aaaaahhhhhh shucks
Old 02-02-2017, 12:50 PM

E95 caramel Ty Cobb, I'm torn because it looks like he has lipstick on and can go transgender. If it wasn't for that it'd be my favorite Cobb issue next to the T206 portrait.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:26 PM
je.sse @rnot

63 Rose is an obvious choice. I'm also not crazy about the image on the e90-1 Joe Jackson but would still love to own one. Hopefully some day I will have both.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:30 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Default 1955 topps mantle

https://www.google.com/search?q=1955...KDEbZ1iDaf9CM:
Old 02-02-2017, 02:58 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
It is fascinating the way different people view things. 56 Mantle is in my all time top 5 favorite and maybe #1.
Have to agree with you. The '56 Mantle is an iconic card and one of his best looking issues, period. His face looks weird how? He's smiling, and that's what Mick looked like when he smiled, you can see it in film too from that period. That is also one sweet catch he's reaching out to make in the action shot. '56 Topps is generally considered one of the best looking sets of all time - and the Mantle is one of the best looking cards in it.