NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-04-2009, 08:40 AM

Default Welcome to the boards Joe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjoe View Post
Hi Guys,

This is my first time posting, although I’ve been a long time lurker. The knowledge and information shared on this forum is amazing.

Here’s a ticket to Babe Ruth’s last appearance at Yankee Stadium, June 13, 1948. It was the day the Yankees retired Babe’s number 3. The event was captured in Nat Fein's Pulitzer Prize winning photo.

Wow! That Ruth ticket is an absolute monster. Let's see what else you holding back Joe

Best, Jimmy
Old 10-04-2009, 09:22 AM

1910 Pittsburgh Stub...c.1919-1922 Yankees Stub...1962 Mets Stub
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pitt Stub.jpg (32.2 KB, 909 views)
File Type: jpg Yanks Stub.jpg (39.3 KB, 914 views)
File Type: jpg Stub Mets.jpg (53.8 KB, 910 views)

Last edited by MVSNYC; 10-04-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Rick P

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
1910 Pittsburgh Stub...c.1919-1922 Yankees Stub...1962 Mets Stub
Great tix, guys!

I would like to help your help in understanding how these old stubs can be pinned down to a year using MVSNYC's undated Polo Grounds ticket for the 27th home game of the season.

In 1919, the 27th home game was played on June 29th (a 5-3 loss to the Red Sox). A doubleheader was played on June 28th, but presumably the game number on MVS's stub would have reflected that. However, I have a similar stub for game #31...which in 1919 would have been the second game of a doubleheader played on July 4th...so I think we can eliminate 1919 if we assume the club didn't sell tickets to the two games separately.

In 1920, the 27th home game would have been the second game of a doubleheader on June 2nd...so I would think we can eliminate 1920.

In 1921, the 27th home game was played on June 15th (a 7-2 loss to the White Sox). The 31st home game was a single game played on June 24th, so 1921 is a possibility.

In 1922, the 27th home game was played on May 23rd (an 11-3 loss to the Browns). The 31st game was the front half of a doubleheader played on May 30; that would seem to make 1922 also a possibility.

So it would seem that this stub dates to 1921 or 1922.

Am I correct to assume that the Yankees would not have printed separate tickets for the second games of doubleheaders?
Old 10-04-2009, 10:27 AM

Default Hey Rick, can you pinpoint this one for me?

This is suppose to be a very significant ticket. Can the Great Poobah be of help?

dimaggiodebut2.jpg
Old 10-04-2009, 11:33 AM

Oldtix- thanks for your input regarding my yankees stub...very interesting research (what website did you find this out?)...i am, however, a bit unclear why the doubleheader the day before the 27th game, eliminates it from being a 1919 stub, same goes for 1920...can you further elaborate? what am i missing?

thx!

Last edited by MVSNYC; 10-04-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Rick P

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Oldtix- thanks for your input regarding my yankees stub...very interesting research (what website did you find this out?)...i am, however, a bit unclear why the doubleheader the day before the 27th game, eliminates it from being a 1919 stub, same goes for 1920...can you further elaborate? what am i missing here?

thx!
Baseballreference.com is the particular website I used for this...they list every game of a given season in sequential order.

The info about the prior day's DH in 1919 really didn't have anything to do with the conclusion...it probably should have been edited out. Whether the Yankees printed separate tickets for game 25 and game 26 (the DH games) wouldn't change the need to print one for game 27. The point of my question...and the basis for my conclusion that 1920 was eliminated...was that a club would NOT have printed a second game ticket.

Before night games started in 1935, I don't think fans attending doubleheaders were required to leave the stadium after the first game. Without that requirement, there's no way to know which fans only purchased a game one ticket in order to evict them before game two. I think that a fan wishing to attend the second game (only) would have been sold the "game one" ticket at the ticket office, saving the club printing costs. If that logic is correct, there would be no printed "game two" tickets for pre-1935 doubleheaders (later twi-nights were handled differently, of course). Did fans pay double price for doubleheaders? I don't know.

We should be able to eliminate any year in which either game 27 was the back-half of a doubleheader...and that was the case in 1920. If the teams did print separate tickets for game two, my theory is all wet.

And now: "Upon further review..."

I was relying on my computerized inventory of my own Yankees Polo Grounds ticket. Lo and behold, I pulled it out and it's for game 34, not 31...oops. That puts 1919 back into play as a possibility for your ticket. My ticket could be 1919, 1920, 1921 or 1922...all single games. Damn...the Babe didn't go yard in any of them!
Old 10-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Rick P

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
This is suppose to be a very significant ticket. Can the Great Poobah be of help?

Attachment 6867
Can't read the fine print, Jimmy... email me a scan if you can.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:27 PM

i'm getting it now...thanks!

also, what's interesting, both of our tickets have a "war tax"...the war was from 1914-1918, but obviously our tickets are both post-1918 (based on the mention of a december 1918 ordinance)...so why the war tax after the war?
Old 10-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Rick P

I'm sure one of the trained legal minds on the board will explain it better than I can.

First, we have to suspend disbelief and remember that there was a time in this country when we expected to repay national debt! Imagine that...

The war tax was a tax on all amusements...theatre, sports, etc...to pay off the debts created through sales of Liberty bonds and war stamps related to the costs of waging the First World War. It was applied to baseball against tremendous resistance...principally because it eliminated the long-traditional "two-bit" bleacher seat. The tax added a nickel to the cheapest seats (25 cents) and the lords of baseball proclaimed there would be mass confusion trying to make change for thousands of fans. The more cynical observers predicted that bleacher seats would soon rise to 50 cents.

The words "War Tax" were replaced by "Tax Paid" on later Yankee tickets. I don't know when the official War Tax was ended, but in essence they just changed the addressee on the payments.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:23 AM

Default 1939 All Star Game at Yankee Stadium...

This game was played exactly one week after Gehrig's "Luckiest Man" speech of July 4th, 1939.

The All-Star Game came to the House that Ruth Built for 1939 and honorary captain Lou Gehrig watched the AL win a tightly contested 3-1 game behind a Joe DiMaggio homer.

1939allstargameticketstub.jpg

And a neat companion piece in the 1939 Major League Baseball Centennial Patch...

1939baseballcentennialpatch.jpg
Old 11-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default Tickets from St. Louis

I wasn't available for many pre-war games, but I've been trying to make up for that starting in the 60's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tickets.jpg (79.6 KB, 900 views)
Old 12-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default 1941 all star game

TYPE 1 PHOTO Teddy winning the ball game

Ticket stub of Ted's most thrilling moment of his career(in his mind).

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 12-27-2009, 07:00 PM

Default Thanks to Rich Simon for making this deal with me...

This stub has been at the top of my memorabilia want list for quite awhile now and thanks to Rich, it has been added to my "The Giants Win The Pennant" Collection.

1951giantswinthepennantTICKET.jpg

A pair of vintage original TYPE I photographs...

BOBBYthompson1.jpg

BOBBYthompson2.jpg
Old 12-28-2009, 03:43 AM
Joe P.

Default Thanks for the memory, and Welcome Aboard Jersey Joe .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjoe View Post
Hi Guys,

This is my first time posting, although I’ve been a long time lurker. The knowledge and information shared on this forum is amazing.

Here’s a ticket to Babe Ruth’s last appearance at Yankee Stadium, June 13, 1948. It was the day the Yankees retired Babe’s number 3. The event was captured in Nat Fein's Pulitzer Prize winning photo.

On June 13 1948, I was 17 years old and sitting in the right field bleachers.
A sad day indeed, his voice was gravelly, and hard to understand.
When he started to speak, you could almost hear a pin drop in the packed stadium.
The cancer in his throat, was taking it's toll, and we were there not just to pay our respect, but to thank him for building the house that Ruth built.

Welcome aboard Jersey Joe.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default BILLY GOAT GAME "curse"

FOR ALL YOU CUBS FANS!

1945 WORLD SERIES GAME 4 TICKET "Billy Goat Game Curse"

TYPE 1 PHOTO 1945 GAME 4

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 12-28-2009, 01:05 PM

Default junior world series ticket stub

This is a ticket stub from game nine of the junior world series in 1924 between the St Paul Saints and the Baltimore Orioles, Lefty Grove pitching for Baltimore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stub.jpg (53.1 KB, 820 views)
Old 12-28-2009, 06:16 PM

Default War tax, double headers, etc. and how to apply that to undated early baseball tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtix View Post
I'm sure one of the trained legal minds on the board will explain it better than I can.

First, we have to suspend disbelief and remember that there was a time in this country when we expected to repay national debt! Imagine that...

The war tax was a tax on all amusements...theatre, sports, etc...to pay off the debts created through sales of Liberty bonds and war stamps related to the costs of waging the First World War. It was applied to baseball against tremendous resistance...principally because it eliminated the long-traditional "two-bit" bleacher seat. The tax added a nickel to the cheapest seats (25 cents) and the lords of baseball proclaimed there would be mass confusion trying to make change for thousands of fans. The more cynical observers predicted that bleacher seats would soon rise to 50 cents.

The words "War Tax" were replaced by "Tax Paid" on later Yankee tickets. I don't know when the official War Tax was ended, but in essence they just changed the addressee on the payments.
Hi Jimmy and Rick.
Interesting topic and I would like to contribute to this topic.
FYI- I have been collecting baseball tickets since 1972. Rick is absolutely correct about why war taxes were added to the admission price of baseball tickets as well as other amusements after WWI. I believe that War taxes were absolutely imposed during the years of 1918 and 1919, and possibly as late as 1920, but I cannot confirm this. Through the years I have seen examples of baseball tickets with actual dates (including year) that showed War taxes issued by the Chicago White Sox, NY Yankees,Cincinnati Reds during the years 1918and 1919. There was a nice article written re: War Taxes on baseball tickets that was in the Sports Collectors Digest within the last 2 years if you would like to dig deeper.

On the topic of double headers:
One thing to keep in mind is that vintage double headers occured for two distinctly different reasons. Sometimes they were scheduled that way at the beginning of the baseball season. But, in addition to this, unscheduled double headers also occured due to weather conditions, etc. Keep in mind that teams during the 1910-1920's traveled to the opposing teams city by train as air travel was obviously not yet available. If a game got rained or snowed out, they would create unscheduled double headers (sometimes even back-to-back double headers) in order to not lose games (and the gate admission $$'s) in the schedule.

My point is, that it is difficult to know how a baseball team's ticket office would handle an "unscheduled double header". Would the team allow the ticket holder, from let's say a rainout in game #26 in the schedule, to use this ticket to gain admission to the unscheduled double header (during, lets say the 27th or 28th game of the schedule), or would they have them trade it in for a ticket to the game where it was being made up? Intuitively, you would expect that a patron would turn in their rain check from game #26 and receive a grandstand or bleacher seat for the makeup game. Occasionally the patron might write some game info on the ticket which can be somewhat helpful. Otherwise it's anybody's guess...

Note: If you are using a resource such as RetroSheet or Baseball Almanac to resolve questions regarding game logs and schedules, it's my opinion that you only have part of the info required when it comes to the double header. The only true way to know if a double header that was played was scheduled or unscheduled would be to look at an original team schedule or use actual vintage newspaper microfilm from the city in which the game(s) was played to give you more detail.

I hope this helps!
Old 12-29-2009, 12:02 AM
ThreadKiller

Default 1909 Opening Day - Shibe Park

April 12, 1909 ticket from the First Game at Shibe Park - Philadelphia.

Athletics beat Red Sox, 8-1 Attendance: 30,162 - the shown example was more than likely crumpled and stuffed into somebody's pocket before being miraculously removed and "saved" for posterity, and that makes me not only wonder how many of the 30,162 in attendance that day held onto their ticket stub when they exited the ballpark, but also how many of these tickets have managed to survive for just over 100 years?

(ticket was pasted into a scrap book / album that was purchased from an antique shop in the mid-1990's...amazingly enough, the scrapbook / album also included a 1910 World Series ticket stub and two of the three different rare Shibe Park pre-opening / artist rendering postcards that were issued c.1908-1909).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShibeOD85.jpg (58.1 KB, 802 views)
Old 12-29-2009, 05:58 AM
Rick P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Hi Jimmy and Rick.

Note: If you are using a resource such as RetroSheet or Baseball Almanac to resolve questions regarding game logs and schedules, it's my opinion that you only have part of the info required when it comes to the double header. The only true way to know if a double header that was played was scheduled or unscheduled would be to look at an original team schedule or use actual vintage newspaper microfilm from the city in which the game(s) was played to give you more detail.
Great input, Scott...Following up on your point about newspapers, I've had a lot of success using the New York Times online archive to research. A home delivery subscription (I only take the Sunday paper) gives you free access to papers going all the way back to 1851. The coverage during the Ruth years and later is pretty good...and you get the flavor of the day's action with player quotes, backstories, milestones, etc.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:42 AM

Thanks Rick- good to know! BTW- From your Net54 handle you obviously collect old tickets. Do you collect baseball only, or all sports? Do you collect a particular theme?
FYI- These days I collect baseball tickets related mostly to pitching. I'm most proud of my no-hit ticket collection. I currently have tickets to 153 different no-hitters dating back to 1910. Additionally I collect the signatures of all pitchers that threw a no-hitter dating back to 1893 (the year that that pitching mound was moved to the current standard of 60' 6"). I'm less than 20 names away from completing this theme, although 2-3 of these may be unattainable for various reasons.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:56 AM

Default Hey Scott...

Thanks Rick- good to know! BTW- From your Net54 handle you obviously collect old tickets. Do you collect baseball only, or all sports? Do you collect a particular theme?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rick's theme is...if it required a ticket to gain entrance, and it's old, he collects it.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:38 AM
Rick P

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Rick's theme is...if it required a ticket to gain entrance, and it's old, he collects it.
Truer words were never spoken, Jimmy!

Tickets touch all my collecting hot buttons -

(1) they were physically at the event.
(2) they were owned by ordinary fans like me,
(3) they're small and easy to store and access,
(4) they can't be fully appreciated without research,
(5) they're out there to be found on almost any given day in any place, and
(6) it's impossible to complete a collection so it's a lifelong adventure.

And when someone finally invents a time machine, I'll be busy gaining reentry to some great games with my stubs!

Scott, I'll contact you offline so we don't bore the other board members.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I started collecting 3000 hit tickets/stubs a little over a year ago. I have every one (working backwards) from biggio to Rose (Brock was the hardest for me so far). Next up would be Kaline from 9/24/74 and after that Clemente. I had intended to wait till Jeter and maybe Pudge (outside shot) get 3000 hits and then make a display, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how hard the other tickets would be. I have not seen a Kaline but assume there are some out there. I've heard Clemente is hard, and know nothing about the other ones. Is there some point where they get too hard or too pricey to find (I know pricey is in the eye of the beholder, but for me this is a fun side project and too much money would be funds lost towards autographs that I need/want).
Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Robert Klevens

Default 1908 Washington Univ. Tour of Japan Ticket

This just arrived from Japan today. This is the oldest ticket in my collection and first from the Meiji Era. Washington University vs Waseda University played October 3, 1908. Washington won the game 4-1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1908tix.jpg (46.1 KB, 794 views)
Old 12-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Graig Kreindler

That ticket's cool as all hell, Robert!!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:21 PM

Default 3000 hit tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
I started collecting 3000 hit tickets/stubs a little over a year ago. I have every one (working backwards) from biggio to Rose (Brock was the hardest for me so far). Next up would be Kaline from 9/24/74 and after that Clemente. I had intended to wait till Jeter and maybe Pudge (outside shot) get 3000 hits and then make a display, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how hard the other tickets would be. I have not seen a Kaline but assume there are some out there. I've heard Clemente is hard, and know nothing about the other ones. Is there some point where they get too hard or too pricey to find (I know pricey is in the eye of the beholder, but for me this is a fun side project and too much money would be funds lost towards autographs that I need/want).
Hi Mike,
Both the Clemente and Kaline 3000th are somewhat difficult. Of the two I have seen more examples of the Clemente 3000th hit ticket through the years and very few of the Kaline. I think that I have personally only seen one or two of the Kaline in my 37 years of collecting baseball tickets, but perhaps 15+ of the Clemente to put it in perspective. Expect to pay approximately $1200+ for the Clemente and the same or more for the Kaline. The prices of these earlier 3000th hit tickets appears to be on the rise due to the number of people collecting this theme. Even though I am not a fan of PSA grading, this is driving the price north as people are attempting to complete PSA graded vertical sets including the 3000 hit theme.
I hope this helps!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Thanks Scott, I appreciate the info. The Clemente sounds a bit less than I thought it would be, but the Kaline is more. At some point I have to decide what the break off point is because I really doubt I would get a chance to get any of the ones prior to Musial anyway, but I at least have a year or more to decide and look while Jeter gets there.
Thanks again,
Mike
Old 12-30-2009, 04:50 PM

Default 3000 hit tickets

Mike,
You're welcome & I'm glad that you found my response somewhat helpful. I can tell you that you are absolutely correct that finding any of the other 3000hit members prior to Musial will be not only difficult, but spendy as well. I used to collect 3000 hit tickets up until about 8 years ago. At one time I had a Tris Speaker 3000th hit ticket (yes there is at least one out there) and I had Musial, Clemente, Aaron, Kaline as well. Good luck on your search. Remember, when it comes to collecting, there is never a wrong answer because at the end of the day it is YOUR collection.
Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2009, 07:32 PM

Default Old Cubs ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtix View Post
A 1907 regular season ticket, with an ornate 1906 champions logo.

Rick-
Cool vintage Cubs ticket! I've never seen one from this with this font before. I do own one in my collection from the precurser to the Cubs the Chicago White Stockings in 1874.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Richard Simon

Not an oldie but a goodie nevertheless,,, an uncut strip of four full tickets to the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals at Madison Square Garden.
"Now I can die happy" (fan banner) and "this one will last a lifetime" (Sam Rosen).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rangers.jpg (83.1 KB, 742 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-13-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default 1952 World Series

Old 01-17-2010, 12:22 PM

Default MNF/Cosell

This isn't really a ticket, per se, but an employee game pass, that has an interesting story. I picked this up with a very large lot of stubs and employee items. This gentleman worked for the Eagles for like 10 years, and saved alot of neat items. This game in particular was the Eagles first Monday night game in their history. The Eagles employee got the pass signed by Eagles owner Leonard Tose, Howard Cosell, Don Meredith, Irv Cross, and Tom Woodeshick. The fact Cosell and Meredith signed the pass is pretty neat given what happened during that game. Leonard Tose threw a pregame party (Tose was a big drinker himself) and Cosell convinced him to open up the bar early. Cosell had a few too many vodka martinis at the party, and was noticeably drunk during the MNF telecast, to the extreme of throwing up on Don Meredith's boots. Cosell only made it through the first half, with Meredith and Keith Jackson doing the second half alone.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:54 AM
chris

Default assorted reds/ cincinnati stubs

still looking for first night game...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1936 opening day.jpg (84.5 KB, 723 views)
File Type: jpg Aug_04_005.jpg (78.2 KB, 726 views)
File Type: jpg Jan_16_001.jpg (21.5 KB, 723 views)
File Type: jpg Oct_27_003.jpg (82.1 KB, 722 views)
File Type: jpg Oct_27_005.jpg (82.6 KB, 722 views)
Old 01-18-2010, 07:58 AM
John €ffenheim

Old 01-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Joe Gonsowski

I really like the 19th century tickets.

Here's my favorite and only pair of tickets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1888 Ticket front and back with Twithcell N172 at 150dpi.jpg (77.6 KB, 709 views)
File Type: jpg ticket at 150dpi.jpg (48.4 KB, 714 views)
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 01-18-2010, 11:54 AM

Default Early Detroit baseball tickets

Joe,
Cripes, those early Detroit baseball tickets are incredible! Did you see the 1800's Base Ball dance ticket from Crystal, MI that is currently for sale in the B/S/T section? Check it out as it would seeingly be a great addition to your collection...
Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 AM

Default ticket album

Quick question for you ticket collectors. I collect all things Philadelphia Eagles, and have probably around 300 Eagles ticket stubs with dates ranging from the 40's up until my current day season tickets. My question is regarding the way I want to organize/display these. I was thinking about putting them all in an album in chronologic order, but am unsure what type of album sleeves would work. Obviously the tickets are of all different sizes, and I don't think any specific type of album page would work for the different varieties. Something like the older type of photo album with the adhesive backing and plastic sheet on top would work, but I don't want to place these stubs on any type of adhesive. Anyone have any suggestions for me? If others have similiar stub collections, what do you do with them?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Rick P

I use Ultra-Pro Semi-Rigid Card Holders for my tickets. I file my tickets in date order - this makes it easy to add new pick-ups into my collection. They're pretty cheap (about $16 per box of 200), they're thin, they keep the tickets firmly centered and they keep the weight down vs. rigid sleeves. I don't collect Eagles tickets (I have the one below because it's from the JFK assassination weekend), but here's an example for you to reference. Larger sizes are available (including a "Tall" version that is the same height).

I keep most of my paper collectibles from postcards to movie posters in mylar sleeves, but I haven't found a small mylar holder I'm happy with yet (Mylar is more likely to shred your fingertips too).

Last edited by Oldtix; 01-19-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:46 AM

Default Question about how to store tickets in an album

I store my no-hitter ticket collection in 3 1/2" x 7 1/4" ticket top loaders in 3 pocket pages. It's an ideal way to store a collection in chronological order.
I hope that helps!
Old 01-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Val Kehl

Default Two of the greatest

events (there weren't many!) in the history of the Washington Senators are represented by these ticket stubs:

1924 World Series - Walter Johnson wins Game 7 in relief in the 12th inning for his first WS victory (he was the losing pitcher in Games 1 & 5) and for the Senators only WS win. Ironically, Johnson was the losing pitcher in Game 7 of the 1925 WS, after winning Games 1 & 4, the latter by a shutout.

1925 World Series - Sam Rice made an incredible and controversial catch, falling over the centerfield fence into the spectators sitting in the temporary seats to rob Earl Smith of a home run and preserve a one-run victory in Game 3 for the Senators; inasmuch as Rice disappeared from the sight of the umpires and players, the Pirates argued to no avail that Rice had dropped the ball. The fan who attended this game with this ticket would have been sitting in these temporary seats and presumably would have witnessed the catch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1924WSticket.JPG (65.7 KB, 673 views)
File Type: jpg 1925WSticket.JPG (67.8 KB, 674 views)
Old 01-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Default 1974 playoffs

Oct 8 - 9th, 1974 playoffs between the Dodger and the Pirates. No big deal in the grand scheme of tickets, but for me it was. My buddy and I had mailed in to try and purchase tickets for the Dodger Bleachers for these games and were lucky enough to get them. This was less than a month after we started our freshman year in High School and we were wondering how we were going to convince our parents to let us go. Well, the stars were aligned just right because that year, it turns out, another High School that had a major fire just a month before was going to share our campus and so we went on a half day/split schedule...leaving our afternoons free. My buddy and I were able to take the bus from neighboring Alhambra to Dodger Stadium and then my Mom was able to come pick us up after work. Stargell hit a homerun in both games and Garvey hit two (we came close to catching one of them) in the deciding game. Great memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0799.jpg (74.1 KB, 782 views)
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Shawn England

Default Base Ball Club of Indianapolis

Ticket stub for an Indianapolis ball game. Not sure that I can really determine anything from it??? Also below is a letter with the same signature that is on the ticket from the President of the Indianapolis baseball club, James A. Perry. He died shortly after the letter was written, in a plane crash.

Any info on the ticket stub would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stubonlyL.jpg (64.1 KB, 773 views)
File Type: jpg letter.jpg (69.6 KB, 775 views)
Old 01-20-2010, 03:12 PM

Default Ticket display

Thanks Rick and Scott,
I appreciate the input. At the next show I go to, I am going to pick up some holders and sleeves and start organizing.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Paul

Default 1934 World Series Ticket

Old 03-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Anthony

1986 Mets Full Season Tickets found in an executive's office desk drawer a few years ago. I was able to get 10 of them, all Mets wins, games consist of Gooden complete games or HR games by key Met players like Strawberry, Hernandez, Carter, etc.

Also, a full ticket from '86 Mets Opening Day

Finally, Game 6 & 7 World Series Ticket Stubs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5796.jpg (74.4 KB, 716 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5793.jpg (34.0 KB, 715 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5794.jpg (74.6 KB, 714 views)

Last edited by 3and2; 03-21-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-22-2010, 07:57 AM

Is there a separate annual "national" sports tickets show nowadays ?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Jonathan Scheier

Here's one for you Red Sox fans--the only Gem Mint full ticket in the PSA population report for the famous Fisk home run game in 1975:

http://sports.ha.com/common/view_ite...7&Lot_No=82157
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lfCALOEIBM.jpg (64.7 KB, 646 views)
Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
JonathanS@HA.com
1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at http://sports.ha.com/consign

Connect with Heritage at http://sports.HA.com/Connect
Old 07-04-2010, 10:34 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Default Great stuff!

Here are some interesting tickets of recent vintage... I've got a whole collection of images (mostly Mets tickets) on Flickr...

September 24, 1975: full unused ticket to see the Red Sox v. Yankees at Shea Stadium during the period of Yankee Stadium renovation... this is the only ticket of the ones I'm sharing in this post that I bought on the collectors' market...

October 2, 2004: the penultimate Montreal Expos game, and their very last victory...

I got these tickets on Ebay for a terribly low price - I think it was $25 for the pair ($64 face value per ticket), just shows you how bad the Mets were back in '04 that the guy who had these 8th row field box tickets near third base was willing to let them go for just $12.50 apiece...

July 15, 2008: the All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium... both sides of the ticket are shown...

Interesting story regarding how I got this All-Star ticket... I didn't actually attend the game, but I was outside the ballpark taking pictures of Yankee Stadium and environs... I found this ticket, believe it or not, on the counter at the McDonald's on River Avenue and 161st Street during the game. I waited a few minutes until it was apparent nobody claimed it, so I took it... didn't bother trying to go to the game, I was just happy to get it as a collector's item... incidentaly, that brown stripe on the bottom of the front is supposed to include authentic Yankee Stadium dirt, that's what it says on the back.

September 12, 2008: a ticket from the very last game to be rained out at the original Yankee Stadium... the game was re-scheduled for the next day as part of a day-night doubleheader...

September 20, 2008: the final DAY game at the original Yankee Stadium... this ticket is for a seat in the first row of the Tier Reserved, and the "obstructed view" refers to the continuous flow of fans in the aisle directly in front of the row...

September 28, 2008: season ticket/planholders' ticket to the final game at Shea Stadium...

April 13, 2009: the very first regular season game at Citi Field...

April 20, 2009: the very first game to be rained out at the new Yankee Stadium...

Interesting story: when I was buying my tickets for 2009 Yankee games, I wanted to go as early as possible... I was already going to see the Mets on Saturday 4/18, so I decided my first game at the new Yankee stadium would be the Tuesday night game, 4/21... after I bought the ticket, I realized Monday 4/20 would be the first NIGHT game, so I subsequently bought 4/20 and said that either I'd go the next night as well or "eat" the ticket... as it happened, 4/20 got rained out so my original choice, 4/21, became the first night game at the new ballpark... giving me two "firsts" instead of one.

July 18, 2009: "print-at-home" ticket to the second of Paul McCartney's three concerts at Citi Field... I went to all three shows, and I've got hard tickets for them all... I found this "print-at-home" ticket discarded on the ground after the show, and since it was printed in color, on good paper, and except for being folded was still in good condition, I decided to keep it... this digital image deletes the personal information of the original buyer, as well as the barcode...

April 19, 2010: New York Mets' rookie sensation Ike Davis' Major League Debut... from a collecting standpoint this season ticket/planholders' ticket is more "complete" than most of the others you'll see, because it includes the little area to the left of the perforations from where the ticket was supposed to be torn out of the book...

Old 07-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Tim

My only ticket (or pass). The last year Shag Shaughnessy was manager of the Roanoke club.

Last edited by Abravefan11; 07-04-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:53 AM

Default Seattle Mariner tickets

Not vintage but to me I think it is pretty cool. Around 1995 I purchased a ticket for the Seattle Mariners first game ever played at the Kingdome. Not that rare to find here in the Seattle area. Flash forward to the final year in the Kingdome, when single game tickets went on sale I purchased the exact same seat location for the last Mariner game to be played in the Kingdome. I remember the lady at the Mariners office giving me a weird look when I asked for a completely random upper deck seat location in the middle of the row when their was so many other seats open at the time. I have the two tickets sitting in a box somewhere just keep putting it off getting them framed up. How many people can say that they have a ticket (same seat location) to the first and last game at a stadium for their favorite team?