NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-20-2019, 09:14 PM
Marty

Default Fun snowy day research on Johnny Bench scorecard

A good bit of snow had some of us up here stuck inside for the weekend, so I got a chance to go through some long ignored cabinet drawers. I picked up a decent lot of pictures and paper items (guides, scorecards, newsletters) from a long time baseball fan and collector about 15 years or so ago, and was able to dig them out this weekend. Lots of Cleveland Indian items, but one item I remembered was a Cincinnati Reds scorecard from the late 60s, complete with a few beer stains(?) and a few autographs, including a young Johnny Bench. Had some time today to take a closer look, and remembered that it was from 1967, the year before Bench’s Rookie of the Year season. Looking closer, the Reds were playing the Phillies, and, although the preprinted lineups listed Don Pavletich as starting at catcher, Bench was listed as available for the game. Looking at his stats, he played in 26 games in ’67, so it was clear this was a late season game after his callup. Going through the baseball reference, I was able to see that the Phillies were in Cincy in late August for a three game set. Checking out the lineups, I was able to compare the preprinted lineups with the box scores from each game, and was able to match it perfectly to the first game of the series, with the exception of one player – Johnny Bench with the start over Don Pavletich. The printed lineup dates the game to be August 28, 1967. The scorecard is from his first game in the majors. The gentleman I got it from lived near Buffalo, so I am guessing he probably followed Bench all year with the Bisons, and then drove down to Cincy and joined the other 9500 on hand to watch him play in his first major league game, grabbing an autograph from a few players and a no doubt nervous and excited 19 year old rookie! Bench went 0 for 3 with 2 Ks that game, and got pulled for a pinch hitter in the 9th. He seemed to bounce back from it pretty well! The scorecard was also signed, among others, by Pavletich, who Johnny replaced in the starting lineup, as well as Chico Ruiz, who probably years later talked about how he pinch hit for Johnny Bench in Bench's first game! A neat slice of baseball history!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCI01202019.jpg (78.4 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg CCI01202019_0001.jpg (77.4 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg CCI01202019_0002.jpg (79.6 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg CCI01202019_0003.jpg (74.6 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by laughlinfan; 01-20-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:15 PM
Chris Wood

That’s cool! Great way to spend the afternoon while snowed in too.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:27 PM
Todd Schultz

Nice job!

The geek in me had to look up the game, and it is a headscratcher. With the tying run on second and two out in the bottom of the ninth, the Reds chose to pinch hit for the pitcher--with another pitcher!! Only 10 position players had been used, yet there apparently was nobody on the bench (pardon the pun) better than Mel Queen that could bat for Ted Abernathy? That seems absurd. And if the reserves were sick, injured or otherwise genuinely depleted, why not let Johnny Bench bat earlier in the inning and save Ruiz for the pitcher's spot? He came up after a leadoff single. It might have even made some sense if they pinch-hit for Bench using a pitcher who could bunt well but otherwise their strategy seems just plain dumb. Maybe an old newspaper account can explain such weirdness. Johnny probably remembers. BTW, Pavletich was not used in the game, yet apparently was in the ballpark that day, since he signed the program.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:01 AM
Michael

That is so cool.....being a Bench collector I have to ask if for sale? Thanks, Michael.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:01 AM
Marty

Hey Todd! Yeah - strange sequence to end the game, for sure. Maybe Chico attempted to bunt the runner over and failed, having to swing away later in the at bat? Mel Queen was hitting a blistering .188 with a .435 OPS going into the game. Hopefully Pete wasn't betting on the Reds yet, or I suspect he would have punched out the manager!

Thanks, Michael - I think I'll hang onto it for now - pretty neat thinking about it's origin 51 years ago!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:30 AM
Sean Sullivan

That is AWESOME!!!
Old 01-21-2019, 10:24 AM
Peter F

Marty I love stuff like this, snowy day research and finding a great item in your own collection. Congrats.

Also Chico Ruiz died in 1972 so I don’t think there is an abundance of his autographs out there. And lastly on using Mel Queen to pinch hit, I haven’t looked at their roster but I do know that Mel Queen played in the majors as an outfielder before converting to a pitcher. So he had some idea how to hit. But good question Todd. Maybe for another snowy day.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:28 AM

Being a reds fan in the 70’s and 80’s and since I’m from Oklahoma Johnny Bench was my baseball hero so that scorecard is really, really special in my eyes!
Old 01-21-2019, 10:40 AM
Peter F

So I did some checking and I’m pretty certain Mel Queen was the only left handed bat on the bench. Grizzled righty John Farrell was on the mound on his way to a really strong season and I guess Bristol wanted a veteran lefty batter to face him. Their other lefty reserve was Floyd Robinson who was sent to the minors a month prior.

Also back to Chico Ruiz, wiki says that he is the only man to ever pinch hit for Johnny Bench. So that makes the piece a notch cooler.

Congrats again on your find!
Old 01-21-2019, 02:02 PM
Michael

I certainly understand....I have been trying to get programs and ticket stubs from all his 1967 games....actually have his 2nd game....if you ever change your mind please let me know.....thanks....Michael.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:57 PM
Marty

Thanks for the info, Peter! Didn't realize that Chico was the only guy to ever pinch hit for Bench! I am guessing that if my autograph guy had been watching Bench mash all year at Buffalo, he probably couldn't believe he was getting pulled in the bottom of the 9th with the tying run on base! Reading through his wiki page, I was reminded of Chico's famous "Bench me or trade me!" quote! Classic! I did not realize he lost his life just a bit more than a month after becoming a US citizen in 1972, at only 33 years old.