NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-23-2010, 05:13 AM

Default Lost e94 lajoie from Canada

Please keep your eye out for this card. It appears to stuck in Jersey City. Needless to say I'm going to think long and hard before doing business that involves shipment from Canada in the future.

Thanks,
Pete

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Detailed Results (tracking):

Inbound International Arrival, June 15, 2010, 8:22 am, FOREIGN CENTERJERSEY CITY NJ 099
Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
Foreign International Dispatch, June 10, 2010, 1:00 pm, TORONTO-A, CANADA
Foreign Acceptance, June 04, 2010, 9:59 am, CANADA
Old 06-23-2010, 06:07 AM

Default Be patient...

Hey Pete, as someone who buys a lot of hockey cards from Canada, I understand your concern. However, it may take a few weeks to clear customs. A couple months back I had a card that hit the states and then took almost 3 weeks to get to me (almost identical tracking information).
Bob
Old 06-23-2010, 06:17 AM
Eric

Hi Pete,

Customs in Jersey City is a little slow, so I agree be patient. I live in Jersey and have had to deal with them a few times with packages coming from Canada. I've had a package stay in their possession for as long as 4 weeks before it got to me. You will get it my friend.

Last edited by Kotton King; 06-23-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default hang in there

I like our friends from Canada but the shipping to and fro can be very arduous. I don't think 3 weeks is abnormal and some of my shipments have taken that long or longer. I too think you will still get it. It could be 3-6 weeks but it should get to you. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:09 AM
John Hanssen

Default my last one

Got one 2 days ago that took 8 weeks from the date on the post mark to get to my door.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

If we invade them, this issue is dead. As a bonus, we'd get a better view of the Falls!

They do it differently up there. But, Ive had 100% success with all Canadian transactions -eventually.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Scott S

I mailed a package on May 4 from Boston that the delivery confirmation last scanned in Jersey City on May 5. The package is now MIA. Post Office says they are looking for it, but I don't expect anything.

Hopefully not something fishy going on at Jersey City!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Jeff

Default You get what you pay for sometimes!

As a Canadian, let me tell you how Canada Post works. In the U.S., you have delivery confirmation, in Canada we don't. If you have a package coming to you from Canada of significant value and want to make sure you get it, you'll have to pay extra to get a tracking # and insurance. If I was shipping a card with a declared value of almost $600.00 to the states, I would ship it expedited and it would cost about $20.00-$25.00 for shipping.

Question to Pete Zouras: Did you only pay the $3.50 Standard Int'l Flat Rate Shipping fee for a $600.00 card? If you did your taking a crazy chance. You should have asked the seller what other shipping options could be provided including insurance and a tracking #. When your spending $600.00 on one card, what's another $25.00 to make sure you get it hassle free. If you paid for expedited you would have had it in 5-7 business days also.

Moral of the story... when buying an expensive card (especially from another country) DON'T go cheap on the shipping!

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:43 AM
R@y H0lmes

For what it's worth, I'll say too that of all the countries I've shipped to and received from, Canada has always been the most inconsistent. Really inexplicable delays both ways...don't know which end fouls it up...but in every case the delivery has eventually happened. Here's hoping you get the same result.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Dave

Wow, this thread is spooky.

I've got a package to a customer, that according to the tracking was last seen in Jersey City almost 3 weeks ago.

I think somebody needs to do an audit down there.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rholmes View Post
For what it's worth, I'll say too that of all the countries I've shipped to and received from, Canada has always been the most inconsistent. Really inexplicable delays both ways...don't know which end fouls it up...but in every case the delivery has eventually happened. Here's hoping you get the same result.

Co-Sign.

I ship lots of packages to a customer in the Netherlands that rarely takes more then 2-3 days to get where it's going.

Canada is a complete minefield. Anything that's not a flat or has any kind of paperwork on it other then basic 1st Class Airmail shipping can take weeks to eventually get to where it's going.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Jim D

thats why i try to avoid customs by declaring a lower value or why i also have a US address i ship to. I once had a card go missing, got re-imbursed for it.. the money arrived in my mail. about 6-7 months later, the card showed up.... Customs had it the whole time, told me they were trying to determine a true value for the item because they didnt agree with the 10$ declared value.

Canadian customs is horrible to deal with, i don't imagine the US is anything different.....

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 06-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Brian Macdonald

If a card is stuck at Jersey City, that is a U.S. customs issue, not a post office matter
Old 06-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrone View Post
If a card is stuck at Jersey City, that is a U.S. customs issue, not a post office matter
Even if it's a Standard shipping package being shipped from Connecticut to California?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Scott S

Boston to Florida via Jersey City isn't a customs issue...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg usps.JPG (21.2 KB, 199 views)
Old 06-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
Question to Pete Zouras: Did you only pay the $3.50 Standard Int'l Flat Rate Shipping fee for a $600.00 card? If you did your taking a crazy chance. You should have asked the seller what other shipping options could be provided including insurance and a tracking #. When your spending $600.00 on one card, what's another $25.00 to make sure you get it hassle free. If you paid for expedited you would have had it in 5-7 business days also.

Moral of the story... when buying an expensive card (especially from another country) DON'T go cheap on the shipping!
I beg to disagree. The onus of additional shipping and/or insurance falls upon the seller, not Pete. Pete's job was to get the agreed upon payment to the seller. He did that. The seller's job is to get the item to Peter. So far, that's not done and in no way can that be construed as Pete's fault or responsibility.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Mark T.

I found a great way to send cards to Canada....get a nice big envelope 10x12 for shipping paper docs. Get 2 card board pieces slightly smaller than the envelope. Put as 1 or as many cards you are shipping on the cardboard a tape securely. take the other cardboard and place over first one and slide into envelope. Declare paper docs. and value it at $15. I have done it 7-10 times with no problem and took around 2 weeks to arrive to destination.

You should be fine, they are probably trying to figure out a correct value if you put down baseball card. And would make sense if you placed the value very low.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:03 PM

I called the Jersey City center today and was pleasantly surprised when they returned my voicemail. He said with Canadian tracking, the next place the package would be scanned would be at my hometown PO. So while it looks like it's stuck in JC, it's really in transit.

From the tracking number I gave him, he said it should've gone out the next day--based on other items received that day (some already delivered). He said I could "start worrying" if it didn't arrive by Friday, when he said to file a postal search form 3760 to possibly recover it from a some place in Atlanta (where lost mail goes).

When I bought the item the seller assured me that it would be shipped with maximum insurance. He paid extra for upgraded tracking which turned out to be less reliable than first class. I figured I was covered by Paypal in the event of loss and did not think I would have to resort to that. Next time I'll be more circumspect about delivery options for out-of-the-country purchases.

If this ends up the way I think it will, there'll be one fewer e94 lajoies out there; yet another way in which a already limited population of cards is attrited.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
I beg to disagree. The onus of additional shipping and/or insurance falls upon the seller, not Pete. Pete's job was to get the agreed upon payment to the seller. He did that. The seller's job is to get the item to Peter. So far, that's not done and in no way can that be construed as Pete's fault or responsibility.
From looking at the OP, it looks like some form of insurance was paid on his card or else Pete wouldn't have the information that he has. As far as the seller, he's done his part. Card is shipped and he has proof it shipped. It's out of the sellers hands now. If anyone has to pay for this lost card it's the Post Office. This is now a U.S delivery problem at a U.S. postal facility end of story.

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:30 PM

Pete- keep us informed if and when the Lajoie arrives.
Good luck and hopefully it will appear soon. My experience with Canadian sales has been that they are horribly slow but eventually get to my home.
tbob
Old 07-02-2010, 07:42 AM

Card arrived finally. It looked like it was run over by a truck, but the card inside was undamaged. The collective wisdom of the board prevails once again. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:50 AM
R@y H0lmes

Awesome. Quite the relief, I bet!
Old 07-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Pete

Pete - that is great news. Thanks for keeping us informed.
Speaking of getting ran over. My strangest delivery ever was on this Kelly - Fleischmanns in this picture. I did a deal with a board member. A few weeks later someone brought an envelope into our office that they found in the middle of the street, in front of our building. It really had been ran over and had a black tire mark in the middle of the envelope. It had NO address on it whatsoever, but if I recall correctly, it had just my name on the envelope. It had obviously fallen out of another envelope/package and had been run over, squarely in the middle of it. The card was in a toploader and undamaged. I couldn't believe it, on a few different levels. Fact is truly stranger than fiction. That card was meant to be in my collection. regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pd304master1.jpg (76.7 KB, 159 views)
Old 07-02-2010, 08:58 AM

Default gov cut backs

another issue are the gov cutbacks with the post office as well. it does affect things
Old 07-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Jeff

Leon, there are several extremely rare Butter Krusts in your scan there.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:41 AM

Pete- That's great news! I am happy for you.
tbob