NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Default Trading Your Cards by Mail

This is a whole new territory for me and your valuable insights and experiences will help myself and others. What steps and precautions do you take when trading your cards with others and individuals you have not met? I am considering trading with a VERY reputable ebay dealer. So my biggest hurdle may have been cleared, his reputation appears to be excellent ( on ebay and per some of you on the board ). Other than dealer reputation, what else should I be aware of?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 PM

Once upon a time there was a thing before the internet............it was called trading thru the mail. If the person is a reputable Ebay seller why would he be any less honest thru the mail. I was recently sent a 4 figure card "on approval" a term stamp collectors are very familiar with. If I like it, I buy it, if not I return it. The party sending new me well as I did they, so it was an effortless scenario.

I would suggest giving it a whirl as you have vetted him via Ebay, in the old days many of the Ebay primary deals turned into very nice deals later on.

Deal with people either known to you or other collectors, reputable folks abound as do scoundrels. People here will quickly tell you the difference.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:11 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I just completed a large trade with TonyeTrade. I've purchased from him before, but I've never met him in person and this was our first trade. Given his reputation, I trusted him completely. I sent him my trade bait first and, once it arrived, he sent me his. Just make sure you ensure the package against loss or theft.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 06-13-2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

I've traded modern cards extensively. Some expensive, some not. I've never had a bad experience. Most people are more concerned with their e-reputation than a few hundred (or even a few thousand) dollars.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Jimi

I have belonged to Vintage Card Traders (VCT) for 11 years, Old Card Traders (OCT) for almost the same length, and Dugout Traders for a few years, too. Three great vintage trading groups where all members have earned their rights to be in those groups. We are a small community of baseball fans who love old cards. It's not EBAY, but it's something to check out. You can certainly PM me if you are interested. Mostly set collectors, but a few other type collectors, too.

Good luck!

Jimi
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Send it tracked and insured to cover an unfortunate loss. That's really about all you can do. I've had very good luck with collectors here; peer pressure works wonders for ensuring honest trades

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-13-2013, 08:27 PM
CraigH

I've done it a few times. Probably more with non-sports cards. Had some issues when I traded with a guy and his daughter from Canada where the postal system is very different. Took awhile for the package to reach them. He sent me some emails in a panic after not receiving them for a couple of weeks(if I remembered). I went to the post office to investigate and they assured me it would get there. Started developing a plan on how to compensate him(and his daughter) for his loss, but then he told me that the cards had arrived and was pleased with the trade.

Communication is important. The cards I received in the trade weren't as vital to me as it had been for him and his daughter. They were trying to complete a set and I think I was trading extras. I haven't done any trades with high dollar or rare cards, but nonetheless even cheap cards can be valuable in a trade, so you have to treat the transaction the same.

Craig H.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:29 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I have been a member of an online trading card group for nearly 25 years now (OBC) and have rarely had a problem (maybe one or two in that entire time consisting of literally thousands of cards traded). Trust is key and knowing who you are trading with and their reputation is very important. Even before trading within this group, I trusted and traded with people via the mail (Gar Miller, Lew Lipsett, Frank Frisch come to mind) and the internet (Len Mederios, Solomon Cramer). It was all about trust and reputation. I try very hard to protect both and my end and make sure that I do the same for my trading partners.

A few things I do to ensure the trade is legit and goes smoothly.

Start off small. Do not send your $1,000 card to an unknown. Start with a smaller trade and you can work your way up.

Ask for references. Many traders who still trade through the mail have been around for awhile. Get ebay, auction house, and other trade references that you can check on.

Send to a physical address with del. confirmation at the very least, no PO boxes for me UNLESS I know the person and trust them completely.

Ask to get your end of the trade first. Many honest traders and even some dealers will send your item first for inspection...be prepared though...they might turn the tables and ask for your references.

Hope this helps...

Joshua
Old 06-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Wes

My friend, I got back into collecting a few years ago, and had no idea mail-email was a common way to trade. I was scared at first, and then realized its beauty. I, like Josh, and like Jimi, am with OBC and VCT. I cant ride my bicycle from Ohio and trade with someone in Missouri, or whatever. One day, I let a Berra go in a toploader with a stamp, and prayed that my $60 spent on my card wasn't ripped off. A week later, return fire from a VCT member. Whoa, I actually got the better end of the deal, that particular member, like 99.9% of all others in thosr groups, were and are very generous and honest. So, yes. Catdboard traders, collectors, and even dealers are very tight knit in some sort of brotherhood. That of which you can compare to a football or baseball team, or even military. Use common sense, but don't sweat it too much.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Beckett does this stuff. I have done some trading..usually i sent first.
They all went well...some took longer, but thats what email/pm's are for.
BTW..these were for newer cards (90s +)
I seldom even visit there anymore since i found Net54...this place is much more cooler.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
The party sending new me well as I did they, so it was an effortless scenario.
Its very rare (1st time ever) that I can correct someone's spelling or grammar.

"new" = Knew

lolol come on I had to
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 06-14-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

knewbie = someone thinking it a good idea to correct SB's spelling.

Last edited by murcerfan; 06-14-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Beckett does this stuff. I have done some trading..usually i sent first.
They all went well...some took longer, but thats what email/pm's are for.
BTW..these were for newer cards (90s +)
I seldom even visit there anymore since i found Net54...this place is much more cooler.

I always assumed Scott knew how to spell so I overlooked that one.

I guess I just got hung up on Net54 being "more cooler".

I have to assume that this is an intermediary step to becoming "most cool"

As always, The 'Marm

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:05 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I have to assume that this is an intermediary step to becoming "most cool"
Slight correction... cool, more cooler, most coolest! (tongue in cheek)

Last edited by tschock; 06-14-2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: clarify intent
Old 06-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

rolf come on man, no one here spells worse than I do
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.