NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-30-2020, 04:20 PM
Gary

Default Childhood autograph hunting

Let's have your stories of childhood autograph hunting....

In 1982, I was 14 and living in Dallas. The Texas Rangers were certainly not the best team in baseball. In fact, it was pretty easy to understand why Dallas was a football town. Even with a W-L record of 64-98, I enjoyed going to the games a few times a year with my family. My father always liked to leave games early to "beat the traffic" so there was no chance that I could hang around to get autographs as the players left the ballpark.

(I must have been 20 before I saw the bottom of the 9th inning at a MLB game).

But in the summer of 1982, the traffic was in our favor and I got to Arlington Stadium early. We had pretty good seats on the 1st baseline. But the most important thing to me is that I was in touching distance of the dugout. While the players warmed up, there was a swarm of kids trying to get autographs and a set of determined security guards trying to stop us. Seeing that this wasn't going to work (and that my dad wasn't going to call me back to my seat shortly), I needed to come up with a better plan. I ran along the dugout towards home plate and then climbed on-top of the dugout itself. I managed to dangle myself over the dugout and hand my program to one of the coaching staff who passed it along the bench to get the autographs for me.

When the security guards came to get me, they had to wait until I got my program back. I still have the program. I don't think the Rangers won the game (and my dad made us leave after the 8th inning) but I was buzzing anyhow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1982 Texas Rangers Autographed Program.jpg (74.3 KB, 226 views)
Old 08-30-2020, 04:38 PM
Doug Goodman

Nice!
Old 08-30-2020, 07:46 PM

Default Rose

So when I was about 9 I waited at Busch stadium for the Reds players to come out and get on the bus....Pete Rose came out and I asked politely, Mr. Rose, can I have your autograph? The man replied...sorry--I'm not Pete Rose.....then Jack Billingham came out and I asked him for his autograph...he signed my program...and then said to the other person--hey Pete--save me a seat on the bus. End of story.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:09 PM
Sean McGinty

Nice Story.

My favorite was Brett Butler. I used to go to Montreal Expos games at Olympic Stadium and would often go to the visiting team's dugout before games to try to get autographs.

I was doing that one day when he was with the Giants and standing in a gaggle of other kids reaching out with various things to the players as they went by. Butler stopped to sign stuff and I gave him my card and a sharpie. He signed it but my pen was running low on ink. He looked at his autograph on the card, frowned, and didn't give it back to me. Instead he wandered over to another guy, asked to borrow his pen, then signed my card a second time over the original signature which had been too faint for his liking. Then he came back over with a smile on his face, handed me my card and pen and in a kind voice said I should try to get another pen.

It was only a few seconds of his time, but he gave it to me and it made a big impression. My 1990 Donruss Brett Butler card with two Brett Butler autographs on it is one of my favorite in my collection.

Last edited by seanofjapan; 08-30-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:59 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
Nice Story.

My favorite was Brett Butler. I used to go to Montreal Expos games at Olympic Stadium and would often go to the visiting team's dugout before games to try to get autographs.

I was doing that one day when he was with the Giants and standing in a gaggle of other kids reaching out with various things to the players as they went by. Butler stopped to sign stuff and I gave him my card and a sharpie. He signed it but my pen was running low on ink. He looked at his autograph on the card, frowned, and didn't give it back to me. Instead he wandered over to another guy, asked to borrow his pen, then signed my card a second time over the original signature which had been too faint for his liking. Then he came back over with a smile on his face, handed me my card and pen and in a kind voice said I should try to get another pen.

It was only a few seconds of his time, but he gave it to me and it made a big impression. My 1990 Donruss Brett Butler card with two Brett Butler autographs on it is one of my favorite in my collection.
Obviously we need to see that card...
Old 09-01-2020, 07:59 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Obviously we need to see that card...
Thanks for the prompt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200902_0001.jpg (78.1 KB, 133 views)
Old 09-01-2020, 08:38 PM
Doug Goodman

That's great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200902_0001.jpg (77.1 KB, 125 views)
Old 09-02-2020, 10:52 AM

The year was 2002. I'd just turned 16 years old and went to spring training with my dad in Florida for the first time. We went to Yankee camp and it just happened to also be media day that day. There were camera crews everywhere and we had a great spot on this fence between fields.

Yankee camp has always been just about the worst place to be for a variety of reasons, namely that it attracts an insane crowd and hardly anyone on the Yankees signs autographs. BUT because it was media day, the big boys were a lot more approachable. One by one all the big players came out and stopped to sign once they saw the cameras on them. I was able to snag three of the Core Four plus Joe Torre in one day for free. I later added Pettitte at a show to complete the Core. Easily the best single day I've had hunting:

HOWEVER, like I said, it was 2002. The Yankees had just signed former MVP Jason Giambi. And I made the fateful decision to get his autograph first and then used the same ball for the Core Four later on. Giambi (thankfully) is on his own panel though. But how could I know what was coming? I happy just to land Giambi when it happened.

Last edited by packs; 09-02-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Tags
autograph, program, rangers