NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-03-2020, 09:45 AM

Default Bid Retraction Etiquette

When is it okay to retract a bid?

Here's what I've got going on. On eBay. I read the title of an item, looked at the item, and placed a bid. Later, upon closer examination, I realized that the title was inaccurate. The item for sale is not what is said in the title (although it's easily mistaken for it). I contacted the seller, told them about the problem, said that they probably want to re-list it, and that I'm happy to have my bid canceled if they do that. They responded saying "Sorry, my mistake." But they did not pull the listing, change the title, or cancel my bid. The next day I wrote back asking them to cancel my bid because of the inaccurate title, and they wrote back saying "sure, no problem".

That was yesterday. The listing is still up, with the wrong title, and they haven't canceled my bid. I don't think that they're up to anything shady - I've bought lots of things from them before with no problems. I suspect that giving the listing an inaccurate title was an honest mistake. But saying that they'll change the listing, and saying that they'll cancel my bid, and then doing neither one, is pretty confusing.

So, can I retract a bid here? I guess I mean that as both a question about eBay etiquette and a question about the rules around bid retraction. eBay says that you can retract a bid if the title of the item changes, or if you can't reach the seller. But the problem is, basically, that the title of the item didn't change, and that although I can reach the seller, what they say appears to have no connection to what they do.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:15 AM
pete ullman

perfectly acceptable to retract in this situation imo.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:31 AM
Scott Russell

Legally speaking there is no reason necessary to retract a bid. It is your right to do so up until the time the lot is declared closed for any reason or no reason at all.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-03-2020, 10:50 AM

Retract with a clear conscious. Since you have done business with them in the past and presumably want to maintain that relationship, you may want to email them to tell them that you will retract the bid by Xpm if they dont cancel it for you. But I think you are in every way justified retracting the bid.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:36 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

For what it's worth, the seller CANNOT change the title or description of an auction on eBay once there are bids on it. They can add to the description, but not alter what was there when the bid(s) were placed.

Ebay won't penalize you for retracting one bid, and you have already reached out to the seller to explain why you're doing so. Assuming they agree with you that there is an error, it would probably be in their best interest to pull the listing altogether, but you are not bound to complete the transaction simply because they have not proactively cancelled your bid for you. Better to do so before the end of the auction, since you will not be able to retract your bid in the final hours.

Another consideration is that if by chance they do not agree that an error has been made, or don't care, the seller may simply be waiting to see if someone else tops your bid, saving them the trouble of cancelling your bid, and resulting in a higher final bid overall.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 03-03-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:46 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
When is it okay to retract a bid?

Here's what I've got going on. On eBay. I read the title of an item, looked at the item, and placed a bid. Later, upon closer examination, I realized that the title was inaccurate. The item for sale is not what is said in the title (although it's easily mistaken for it). I contacted the seller, told them about the problem, said that they probably want to re-list it, and that I'm happy to have my bid canceled if they do that. They responded saying "Sorry, my mistake." But they did not pull the listing, change the title, or cancel my bid. The next day I wrote back asking them to cancel my bid because of the inaccurate title, and they wrote back saying "sure, no problem".

That was yesterday. The listing is still up, with the wrong title, and they haven't canceled my bid. I don't think that they're up to anything shady - I've bought lots of things from them before with no problems. I suspect that giving the listing an inaccurate title was an honest mistake. But saying that they'll change the listing, and saying that they'll cancel my bid, and then doing neither one, is pretty confusing.

So, can I retract a bid here? I guess I mean that as both a question about eBay etiquette and a question about the rules around bid retraction. eBay says that you can retract a bid if the title of the item changes, or if you can't reach the seller. But the problem is, basically, that the title of the item didn't change, and that although I can reach the seller, what they say appears to have no connection to what they do.

Rather than pull your bid, why not see how it plays out and don't bid anymore. If you win remind the seller you asked to pull your bid and he said he would.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

+1 I agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Retract with a clear conscious. Since you have done business with them in the past and presumably want to maintain that relationship, you may want to email them to tell them that you will retract the bid by Xpm if they dont cancel it for you. But I think you are in every way justified retracting the bid.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:17 AM
Michael C

I don't think Ebay will let you retract a bid that was placed that long ago. I'm pretty sure they only let you retract it if it was within a couple of hours of placing it. The Seller will have to cancel your bid.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:44 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc32 View Post
I don't think Ebay will let you retract a bid that was placed that long ago. I'm pretty sure they only let you retract it if it was within a couple of hours of placing it. The Seller will have to cancel your bid.
I think you can retract the bid, until there is 12 hours until closing. But you may run afoul of eBay's bot. Call eBay, push past the phone operator, explain the situation and get them to green light (or effect) the retraction. If the seller accepts returns, the potential for disputed facts is moot. If your communication has been through eBay, the buyer's acceptance of your evolving understanding of his ambiguous listing will be obvious.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:28 AM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Default Bid retractions

How in gods name is this allowed?
Sorry this is on its side, it wasn't when I attached it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1206E66-ED6F-41D7-BCC0-58B090DC647D.jpg (18.3 KB, 167 views)

Last edited by aloondilana; 03-04-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:34 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloondilana View Post
How in gods name is this allowed?
Sorry this is on its side, it wasn't when I attached it.

Yeah, it's just further proof that there are no repercussions for retractions on Ebay. Retract away, and then make a habit of reading full descriptions before making a bid, instead of just the title.

The only real consequence you might face would be the seller blocking you, if it annoys them enough.

They seem to be casual enough about it, that you probably don't have to worry, especially if you are a regular customer of theirs.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:07 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

eBay will allow you to keep bidding regardless of how many retractions you have.

I will automatically block a buyer that retracts a bid and does not rebid. If more Sellers would do the same thing, we might get rid of these buyers who love to retract.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 03-04-2020, 10:17 AM

Just for the record, the screenshot in #10 isn't me. I've never retracted a bid before.

>

The description on this item was also incorrect. They must have thought that they had a different item than they actually did.

Anyways, I pulled the bid and haven't heard anything from them, so I assume we're okay.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:19 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
Just for the record, the screenshot in #10 isn't me. I've never retracted a bid before.

>

The description on this item was also incorrect. They must have thought that they had a different item than they actually did.

Anyways, I pulled the bid and haven't heard anything from them, so I assume we're okay.

Sorry, I don't think anybody assumed that. I think we understood you were asking because you actually weren't sure what the right thing to do was.

That screenshot is just touchy for people who are familiar with the Ebay quagmire, as it is, already.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Would it be possible to post a link to the item in question, so we could get a little better context?
Old 03-04-2020, 10:14 PM
Connor
Connor

Retract away. More than justified.