NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-23-2020, 05:35 AM

Default Bobby Veach original photos advice

Attached are 2 identical photos of Bobby Veach. The first is dated May 1925 and noted as NYAL with International Newsreel credit; the second is dated Oct 1925 with Conlon/Cleveland News credit and reference to Washington.

I cant figure out if both or neither are real. He did play early in year for NY and later to Washington. But the credits throw me off. Could be Conlon sold it to International Newsreel without his own credit?

(The Veach label on the 2nd one is on a picture frame not originally on the photo)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VEACH.jpg (72.9 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg VEACH REVERSE.jpg (78.6 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Veach Bobby Conlon 1925 orig photo.jpg (72.5 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Veach Conlon 10-1-1925 reverse.jpg (33.3 KB, 130 views)

PreWar NYAL cards, photos, etc.
WantList: Mendelsohns Marsans; Rose 760PC Niles; Koester Mitchell; Koester Ferguson;1924 Diaz Roettger
Successful deals with 60+ board members
Old 09-23-2020, 11:02 AM

Both appear to be Type 1 photos. We know Conlon worked with other companies sometimes but even his well publicized relationship with Underwood at a few times in his career is a huge mystery. Sports photographers back then were employees of newspapers so if their editor wanted to share photos, thats what happened.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:09 AM

Also, looks like a Babe Ruth photo-bomb in the background!
Old 09-23-2020, 11:16 AM

As I look at these more closely, they are not identical. Note the stadium tier in background is level in one shot and at a pretty good angle in the other shot. Figure in background at right is also closer to the border than in the other photo. Maybe from same negative but just printed at slightly different angles

WantList: Mendelsohns Marsans; Rose 760PC Niles; Koester Mitchell; Koester Ferguson;1924 Diaz Roettger
Old 09-23-2020, 11:18 AM

On second thought, they seem like 2 different photos like taken at same or nearly same time.

I like idea that Ruth is in background!

Old 09-23-2020, 11:51 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Back then, news services rarely credited/listed the photographer.

For old news photos and Hollywood photos, you can do research to try and figure out the photographer, and it's often someone famouse. For movie stills, you can look up the movie and see who were the photographers
Old 09-24-2020, 12:49 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Looks like the same negative but cropped slightly different during printing.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 09-24-2020, 04:02 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

They rotated the negative about 5º or so counterclockwise for the second print. In both photos you can see that his right shoulder is parallel with the upper deck façade. In the first photo the façade is almost parallel with the top of the photo. Also the field level wall runs directly across the photo. In the second photo both the façade and wall slope downwards right to left.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 09-24-2020 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:17 AM

That seems like best explanation, but...

The earlier version has a International Newsreel credit. I always assumed that this reflected a copyright on the image(?)

If Conlon was photographer, given markings on the later photo referencing Washington, he must have sold the photo without his stamp to International Newsreel used in the earlier photo, and then later in the year provided same to Cleveland News?

Can anyone shed some light on how these credits work?

Old 09-24-2020, 09:31 AM

Photographers and news services shared images all the time. These were not seen as important items beyond a few days after they were first used and they often reciprocated with images at later dates. I have seen lots of letters between editors at papers and even some notes on the backs of some images sent from one paper to another with things like "Thought you could use this for your sports paper". I believe within the circle of newspapers, there was a very loose handshake agreement about copyrights of images. Outside that circle, say in the world of commercial advertising, I believe the rights of the photographs were a bit more protected.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:10 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Photographers and news services shared images all the time. These were not seen as important items beyond a few days after they were first used and they often reciprocated with images at later dates. I have seen lots of letters between editors at papers and even some notes on the backs of some images sent from one paper to another with things like "Thought you could use this for your sports paper". I believe within the circle of newspapers, there was a very loose handshake agreement about copyrights of images. Outside that circle, say in the world of commercial advertising, I believe the rights of the photographs were a bit more protected.
I agree. It's weird. I have seen photos of Detroit Tigers credited to Conlon that I know for a fact were taken by William Kuenzel of the Detroit Free Press.