NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Default Need some help on an eBay issue

Posted By: Joe Drouillard

Hello Everyone,

A little over three weeks ago a buyer on eBay won 44 of 60 auctions from me totaling over $1100.00. I've had several comunications the last couple of weeks with the buyer who assures me that I will be receiving payment through money orders, but up to today I've received no payment. I tried emailing him again on Tuesday, but now I'm not receiving any response at all. I don't think he intends to pay, so I want to contact eBay and get my final valuation fee refunded and start the process of relisting all of the cards. I would, however, like to speak directly to someone at eBay to protect my 100% feedback rating in case the buyer gets ugly. A few months ago eBay sent me a telephone number to speak with an operative directly, I misplaced the number and I was wondering if anyone else got the same correspondance and the number that they could send me.

Also, if you were in my situation would you leave negative feedback for that many transactions, one of the transactions, or just forget about it.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

Joe

Old 01-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Time to file NPB with ebay. It will serve a few purposes too. 1, you get your fees back, 2, the slime ball will have to answer them, 3 if he doesn't he can't leave you feedback, and 4, even if he does reply he either pays or gets booted off ebay.

edited to add: No need to phone ebay. All this can be done thru the system. Remember if you fail to do this and leave him negs he can retaliate. And even if you stop at one he could give out the lot against you. Chances are he won't reply and you can then Neg him without that fear. And get your fees back.

Steve

Old 01-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

the buyers feedback? If its 100% then i would wait a few more days to see if the MO arrives. He could leave 44 - feedback and that would not look good even though it only counts as 1.

If his feedback is bad then just get the fees back from Ebay and relist items.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

You always run the risk of getting an equal number of retaliatory negatives which could ruin your own business.

Could you share a name? I had a reneger recently, just curious if it was the same guy. Mine started with a "j".

Old 01-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Drouillard

His ebay name is mrpacman123. He has a 100% rating but only 19 transactions all as a buyer. One of the earlier transactions was with me and I did give him positive feedback when he paid for his item within two weeks with a money order. So when he won all of these items I was a bit nervous, but decided to let the transactions proceed. He maybe just a guy who got over his head and doesn't understand how to cover his purchase, or what a pain he is causing me relisting all of the cards. I don't need the funds immediately, but I think there is some sort of time limit on filing a non-paying bidder and I don't want eBay to say that I waited to long to file a complaint.

Thanks,

Joe

Old 01-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

I agree with Steve...file a NPB with Ebay as soon as possible. Chances are if you haven't received $1100 in three weeks, and now no reply to e-mails, that you're not going to see it. If you are, the NPB claim will facilitate it. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

joe that really is awful.this is what i have done in the past. ist email the buyer and ask if his intentions are to pay or not,that you have $1100.00 tied up and you need an answer in 24 hours because you need the money. if you get no response file w/ebay to recover your loses.then offer the items to the underbidders with an explanation of this deadbeat, and save your self the 5 or 7 day wait for the relisted auctions to end. hope all works out

Old 01-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Rucker

I have found in the Past, that once you start the Final Fee chargeback procedure the buyer will usually step-up and pay you. I wouldn't worry about the negatives until it happens, if at all. I don't think Ebay will make you keep the negatives, the only problem is getting the right person's ear at ebay.
Just my past observations

Old 01-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Joe - please contact me - I have sold to mrpacman123 before and have had a similar experience.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Dennis- it's not easy to contact 44 underbidders. And a great many of them will likely pass, so many or most lots will have to be relisted anyway. It's a bad situation no matter how you look at it.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

ebay's feedback system is severely flawed.

Joe, First off, his past history with you is promising though three weeks is excessive.

However, he's got ya by the cajones. Be polite and explain the fees-thing in an email to him before filing the NPB, which can often trigger a psycho response in some buyers. If he doesn't reply, you can unilaterally Neg him as mentioned, but consider this., A scorned buyer can register a new ebay name in a few minutes, win your cards then whack you with a Neg. Extremely tough (and time consuming)to prove to ebay it IS the original NPB retaliating.

Swallow your pride to protect your good feedback.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

The problem with ebay is that a customer states he hasn't received a shipment you sent and if not insured ( a low priced item) he simply states he did not receive it and receives a refund .You give them a negative feedback and then you get one from them. Anyone with 100% feedback usually has a lot of mutual withdrawals, the the bad guys don't get many negatives.

Ebay needs to fix this situation, that is , when the good guys get negatives for giving negatives to the bad guys. The system was to protect everyone from the bad guys. I have 99.9% because I would not give this bad guy a mutual withdrawal.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

Joe,

I have been waiting 3 weeks for Mrpacman to pay for 5 auctions. I have only sent 3 emails, but he did respond on Monday stating that a money order was on the way. If it's not here by Friday, I will probably file the NPB. I think he got in a little over his head. It's always a crapshoot to me when to file ths NPB, but, most of the time I just eat the fees (if it is a small dollar amout).

Old 01-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

looks like the buyer takes 3 weeks to pay by the feedback times. He won a bunch of cards on Jan. 2 and just got feedback today. Also bought in Dec. 2007 and took 3 weeks to get that feedback.

He may just be a slow payer. I would give it 1 more week.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lance

File the NPB's asap. Ebay is going to give him 8 more days to complete the transaction regardless. Unless other arrangements are made, I file NPB's the first day they become available. You can always retract the dispute if the buyer pays and if not, on the 8th day, you get your fees and can relist. It's in your best interest to get the ball rolling.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew S.

Look at all the auctions that deadbeat has bid on and won in the last few weeks. Chances are he still hasn't paid for most of them. I just added him to my blocked bidders list and there he'll stay until Armageddon.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

he can't leave negative feedback now, he is no longer a registered user.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Duncan

Well I had one this week hit 2 Buy It Nows on my store totalling over $5500. He then emails after the fact and says no paypal no deal too risky. I do not take paypal anymore but due to the amount of the cards he bought I decided to do it this one time and he still has not paid and not answered emails a week later. He goes by the ID canes.jersey. That is the risk of having BINs I suppose.

Jason

Old 01-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Jason - if you DO take paypal you can require immediate payment for a BIN to be processed - that way no issue.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff D.

I have to say I don't really see the point in leaving negative feedback to a buyer.

Sellers can't block buyers with negative feedback, or even very low percentages (as far as I know). So you're risking a retaliatory negative as a SELLER, which really WILL make a difference to prospective buyers. Your only hope in leaving that negative is that a seller will see the bad feedback and cancel his bid. But if he's smart, he will just snipe auctions, leaving that seller in the same spot you are in right now. So it's really a losing proposition to stick your neck out to essentially "trash talk" the buyer. Feedback for buyers is pretty pointless imo. Maybe someone can clue me in as to why it's necessary beyond a certain point.

As a related aside, I recently bought a card from a seller with a rating of less than 20 and 5 negative feedbacks in the last 6 months (3 in the last month alone)...all as a buyer. He delivered a great item in a perfectly reasonable amount of time.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Jeff: "Sellers can't block buyers with negative feedback, or even very low percentages (as far as I know)."

Sellers certainly can block bidders...

If you bid on a card from a seller with 5 negs./under 20 total and encountered no problems, think you should consider yourself pretty lucky! Even if his negs came as a buyer, think they speak highly (or lowly!) of a guy's integrity. I don't think too many guys on here would've jumped on that seller...

Old 01-29-2008, 05:52 AM
Administrator

"Even if his negs came as a buyer, think they speak highly (or lowly!) of a guy's integrity."

I completely disagree - a buyer who gets retaliatory negs from a seller after leaving valid feedback about some crap the seller pulled speak positively about that buyer's integrity. It says he is willing to let others know the truth about a seller even at his own personal exposure.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Matt--assuming 5 negs. came from 5 different sellers, I'd doubt they were ALL retaliatory!
Would you bid with a seller that had 25% negative feedback?

Old 01-29-2008, 06:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

Be careful about leaving mrpacman a neg, one of his most recent feedbacks is from a purchase of an accessory for a sniper rifle (possible smiley face here). He emailed me again last night and said he would send out a check on tuesday. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff D.

Dave S...I know that sellers can block buyers. My point though, is that as far as I know it can only be done by explicitly blocking a member by name. The only blanket or preventative blocking relevant to this discussion is against bidders with an actual negative feedback TOTAL (meaning they have, overall, more negatives than positives).

So if a seller leaves negative feedback for a buyer, unless the buyer is very NEW to ebay, there's nothing a future seller can benefit from this information, because there's nothing they can do to prevent that buyer from bidding on their item until AFTER he's already bid (and that shady buyer could just snipe).

It seems like that makes the risk of a retaliatory negative to the seller pretty pointless.