NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-11-2021, 01:59 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Has anyone here ever hitchhiked?

.....back in the day.

I did once, late 1980's, great story.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 02-11-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:10 PM
Todd Schultz

Many, many times during college in Minnesota 1977-81. Had good luck, but it could get a tad cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
.....back in the day.

I did once, late 1980's, great story.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:38 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I hitchhiked from Jersey to Florida back in 1984, took about 2 days.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:00 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

All the time. It used to be 'normal' for us in NYC/Long Island...despite what our mothers told us.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:25 PM
Murr the Blurr

Across Canada (Victoria, B.C. to Halifax), summer of 1974.
Across Europe (11 countries), summer/fall of 1975.
Edmonton, Alberta to La Paz, Mexico, spring/ summer of 1981.
Phoenix, Arizona to Toronto -- via Deep South, Eastern seaboard -- fall of 1981.
First two trips were solo; last two with the girlfriend who became my wife.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:49 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Many, many times during college in Minnesota 1977-81. Had good luck, but it could get a tad cold.
I was at Macalester those exact years and when I was bored at night, I used to drive around and give hitch hikers a lift now and then.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:02 AM
Mike

In the Seventies, my family lived 3 miles down a pine forest-lined road. Before I could drive, hitchhiking was a way of life. At first it was just local stuff. I would get picked up by friends and neighbors.

After I could drive, my lot was not much better. My first few cars were unreliable to say the least. I still Thumbed more than I drove...

Two quick tales...

My parents, after I moved out, moved to NJ. I stayed behind in Mass. ( I was in love, don't you know. Of course, her and broke up about two months afterwards...LOL). The next summer, Mom and Dad rented a place on the beach on Long Beach Island in Jersey. The car I was driving was not up for the road trip. I thumbed down with out incident. I spent the week there and thumbed back to Mass. On the way out of New York into Connecticut I was picked up by a guy in a Sanford & Son pick-up truck. He seemed "cool" but excessively stoned. After a few miles he reached under the seat and pulled out a cigar box of heroin packets and offered me one to snort. That was not my thing. I refused and waited until the next exit approached and told him that I would get off there. There was a rest area. It took about an hour to catch another ride. About 10 miles down the road , there was a wrecker and blue lights. The Sanford & Son pick-up was kissing a tree down at the bottom of a hill some 50 feet off the road.

A Second....

After my freshman year at UMass Amherst (Zoo-Mass), I ,being a freshly minted Deadhead with tickets to 3 shows in three different states and again with a car that was not road-trip worthy, decided to hitch to the first show. I wound up spending nearly three months on the road hitching or catching rides with Deadheads going to the next show in the next town. Of course, my favorite memories were of catching rides with "Twirl Girls". For non-Deadheads those are the stereotypical peasant-dress-wearing female Deadheads who spent the entire show spinning and twirling in a serpentine-like dance. Those segment of the summer have a whole extra set of memories....... The Dead circled back to Springfield Mass towards the end of the run. Having seen 24 shows that Summer. I left the Circus and went home to Marlboro...........
Old 02-12-2021, 07:21 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Was always afraid to. Dad was a cop and heard too many stories.

Of course now we call jumping into some stoned guy's car "Uber" and its perfectly respectable.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:35 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Haha yes amazing we all survived, not all did.

But yah it really wasn't scary. I did it a few times, also picked up people a few times.

But yep best story, was I was at a bar with friends, Lime Rickey's, just outside of Chicago, not sure how I got separated from my friends, but did and was like F' it I'll just walk home, shouldn't take more then 5-6 hours.

Threw the thumb up as cars passed, and got lucky, car pulled over.

About 5-6 people in the car, but they made room. Guys and girls. They were still in party mode and hit a park and we continued to party. Hit it off with one of the girls and even went out with her a few times after that. But still had an hour or so walk after that to complete my journey that night, or early morning I should say.

You all that did it across states and across country, that's amazing!!!! Fun times.