NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2021, 09:05 AM
Kev1n @1les

Default Anyone know anything about Comics?

Hello,

My Uncle Roger Slifer was a long-time player in the comic book world. His biggest accomplishment was co-creating the character Lobo with Keith Giffon several years ago. Lobo was introduced in Omega Man #3. He also worked with Sun Bow productions and was the story editor for My Little Pony, the movie. He had other major roles - normally as a story editor or illustrator.

Sadly, he was hit by a hit and run driver in 2012. He died in 2014. Recently, my grandfather died. All of Uncle Roger's collection was at Grandpa's house. I spent the last week helping my mom clear out his barn. Uncle Roger's personal collection was stored there. We had 9 tubs of comics - with each tub containing 500-700 books on average. We sorted them by the price on the cover. He had about 35 $0.10 copies, somewhere around 250 $0.12 copies, 150 or so $0.15 copies. He also had about 300 $0.12 copies. We did not get a count on the $0.25 copies but that was the most prevalent price. We filled an entire tub. Mom is looking now for the Hulk with Wolverine, but we believe that we saw at least one copy.

He also had several copies of different Star Wars issues. He had 9 of the 1977 Special Edition Kiss issue (Made with Real Kiss Blood!). He had probably 200 copies of Omega Man #1 and we found about 60 copies of Omega Man #3 - the one where Lobo premieres.

Additionally, we found original artwork from Omega Man #2. We found the original script that was pitched for Omega Man #3 and several other unique items like that.

It is a bit overwhelming.

If it were cards, I could be a big help. We sorted by price point and now we are trying to catalogue. We are trying to clean out Grandpa's Barn/Workshop which as a 4 day affair in and of itself and now we are trying to figure out what we have with the comics. I am sure there a lot of kindling that is akin to late '80's baseball cards, but I don't know if there is the market like there is for cards. It is going to be a huge undertaking cataloging and finding a market. If it is 5000 comics at $3 a comic it is still a nice sum - but there has to be someone willing to pay a price. I think that there is more to that - especially the original artwork and storyboard stuff.

I have been in contact with Heritage. It has been a tad frustrating because I am trying to figure out if there is anything there and he is trying to get an inventory of what we have. It will take quite some time to inventory it all and if it only has a small value, that will end up being time wasted. On top of it all, mom is 6 hours away and I spent last week helping her but I am now back home and trying to give her guidance from a distance.

Let me know if anyone knows anything or knows an expert. Even if someone told me that I had a pile of the equivalent of 5000 Rick Mahler cards, I could at least know what we had and allow us to move on to other parts of the estate.

Thanks
Kevin

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set

Last edited by kailes2872; 03-14-2021 at 09:06 AM.