NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-27-2003, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Default favorite prewar players to collect?

Posted By: Ben

For me, I have a particular fondness for HOF pitchers. In no particular order, here are my favorite players to collect:

-Waddell and Plank (they really doesnt appear on too many cards do they!)
-Mordecai Brown
-Addie Joss (love his t205)
-Johnson and Young and Matty (of course)
-Keeler

I know we all have our preferences- so let them be known!

Old 10-27-2003, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Please excuse my appalling grammar in the above post...Plank and Waddell really DONT appear on too many cards do they!

Old 10-27-2003, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff S

Old 10-28-2003, 01:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Favortie pre-WW2 players:

Sam Crawford
Ken Williams
Benny Kauff
Lou Sockalexis
Guy Hecker
Rogers Hornsby

Jay

Old 10-28-2003, 04:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob D

which war?

pre WW II - Ruth, no one comes close

pre WW I - I could say Ruth again, but I know I'll never collect any of his pre-WW I cards, so I'll go with Walter Johnson.

Old 10-28-2003, 04:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Chalk up another vote for Sockalexis. Hey- maybe we should change this thread to "great baseball names"!!!!

Old 10-28-2003, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

Tom Reilly,i have triples of every card he has.Take that Bill Cornell!

Old 10-28-2003, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Keeler-Collect em where they ain't

Old 10-28-2003, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mrc32

As my post last week on "Player checklists" indicated, I am collecting Wilbur Good(e). Why? Well without owning his T-205 card and having it stare at me for all these years, I would never have started the T-205 set and never would have ventured to read and learn about the Deadball era. It has been quite a wonderful and enlightenting history lesson.

PS- I have 2 of his cards (as I really just started with the player collection) so if anyone has any email me!

Old 10-28-2003, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: three25hits

... Paul Strand. I have his Obak and three Zee Nut cards, but always looking for better examples.

Also trying to collect photo's, media reports, and information about his career and life.

Please email if you have any info (NWL, PCL buffs etc.)

Thanks

Old 10-28-2003, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike (18colt)

. . . Hugh Duffy and Hal Chase. T-206 cards of each got me started (the blue background portrait for Chase).

If anyone has a low, low, low, low, low grade Duffy from any of his 19th century issues, please let me know ("good" is too nice -- fair or poor for me, the uglier the better).

Old 10-28-2003, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike (18colt)

Sorry, I forgot some info. I would rather trade for a Duffy as mentioned in my prior post. And e-mail me by clicking on my name above (I forgot to include earlier).

Old 10-28-2003, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

There are tons of 19th century players I like, but to save some space I'll have to include only a few:

Harry Stovey
Charlie Buffinton
Marty Bergen
Fred Klobedanz
Nat Hudson

to name just a few..

Also:

Ty Cobb
Rube Waddell
Hughie Jennings
Rogers Hornsby
Charlie Gehringer
Tris Speaker
Joe Wood
Lefty Grove

My all-time favorite from any era is:

Leroy "Satchel" Paige

Old 10-28-2003, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mrc32

Adam-
I have a autographed business card of "Ole Satch," from when he worked for the Springfield Redbirds in the 1980s. My dad actually met him.

That card is one of my favorite pieces of memorabilia.

Old 10-28-2003, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I have no idea why, either. Maybe because I lived in SF for a time and visited what had been his bar regularly. Maybe I've just got a soft spot in my heart for a guy who was so positive for baseball for so many years and so damned good. Whatever, I'm hooked on Lefty's stuff. I've got a Tattoo Orbit, a 1927 Zeenuts, a 1925-1929 PC back Exhibit, both 1933 Goudeys. Anyone with others of Lefty, drop me a line.

Another favorite before WII (I assume that's the war you meant?) is Buddy Myer (1933 Goudey, 1933 National Chicle autographed, 1936 Goudey Wide Pen, 1939 Goudey).

Lefty Grove and Jimmy Foxx too. I always think of them together. Grove fascinates me because he did what are arguably the two most important things better than anyone in history: (1) win and (2) not allow opponents to score. Had he not been in Baltimore for years, I think he would easily have reached 400-425 victories. Foxx started out as a collecting interest only because it took me years to find a reasonable card of his to buy when I was first collecting (ca. 1975-1980). Back then, especially at the start and on the east coast, Foxx was right up with Gehrig price-wise on many issues. Boy, has that gap expanded as 500 HR's becomes a commonplace event. Now that I can afford his cards, I buy them regularly.

The Big Train is another favorite of mine. Three exhibits and the T206's to show for it. A true gentleman.

Hack Wilson is interesting too. My favorite 1933 Goudey is his. Just got the 1928 Exhibit. Tough to find, so I was pretty stoked.

I also really like Zeenuts cards of HOFers and other notables. Again, don't know why, exactly; something quaint about these minor leaguers who became alltime greats or who were trying to hang in there after their primes. Some day, Joltin' Joe, your card will be mine!

Now, post-WWII, I collect an eclectic list (in no particular order): Sandy Koufax, Shawn Green, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, 1970's Yankees (esp. Thurman Munson, Willie Randolph, Ron Guidry, Graig Nettles), Mike Lieberthal, Gabe Kapler, Ken Holtzman, Don Drysdale, 1950's Yankees pichers.