NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-14-2021, 07:33 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default OT: Top Loaders Shortage

If you have tried to buy some top loaders, you will notice that many of the distributors are out of stock. Due to the Covid, they are not receiving their shipments and some won't be getting anything until 2022.

I have been selling on eBay for over 18 years and have shipped every card regardless of its cost in a top loader. I am running very low on my top loaders. I spent several hours last night trying to buy top loaders of different sizes. I always buy bulk so that I can get the best deal.

The distributors where I usually get my top loaders from were out of stock as I mentioned earlier. But what really pissed me off are all of the hoarders out there. I saw prices that were almost 10 times more than I usually paid.

I cannot ship my raw cards out in just a bubble envelope without protection. So, I bit the bullet and bought top loaders from some of the hoarders. Ended up paying about 5 times more than I usually pay. I did not buy as many as I usually do because these expenses will cut into the little profits that I have left after eBay takes their share.

While this crisis continues, I am looking for other ways to protect the cards that I ship. In addition to the top loaders, I bought some card Savers which are semi rigid, to see if they can offer some protection. I think that when I run out of top loaders again, shipping the card in a card saver along with wrapping some cardboard around it might be a good idea.

The problem with cardboard is that I don't want to spend my whole night cutting cardboard up into smaller pieces. Does anyone know where I can purchase pre cut card board pieces or does anyone have a better way to ship out the card once top loaders are nowhere to be found.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 05-14-2021, 07:35 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

I just bought of all of the stock from BCW, this is crazy how much they are going for on eBay etc
Old 05-14-2021, 07:39 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
I just bought of all of the stock from BCW, this is crazy how much they are going for on eBay etc
BCW is where I have an account. They were bone dry for the sizes I was looking for. They said that they would be out of stock until some time in 2022.

I think about all of the top loaders that I have thrown out because they had a piece of tape on it or were just scratched. Who knew?

Next thing we will see, top loaders up for auction that are bringing in higher prices than the cards.

Total craziness.

Buythatcard

Old 05-14-2021, 07:52 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
BCW is where I have an account. They were bone dry for the sizes I was looking for. They said that they would be out of stock until some time in 2022.

I think about all of the top loaders that I have thrown out because they had a piece of tape on it or were just scratched. Who knew?

Next thing we will see, top loaders up for auction that are bringing in higher prices than the cards.

Total craziness.

No kidding, I wish I never tossed mine. I kept them for so long then finally got rid of them. It's so unfortunate to have to wait a year now to get them through them.

Oh for sure, I may have to throw a few packs of them up to see what happens lol. My original order was in January that I got yesterday and ordered the last of them Tuesday and got them yesterday as well.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:11 AM
octavio ranzola

funny you bring this up i was a card show here in ny..i buy the tall boys holders they are cheaper ,,i put any card in there ,,sold out. so at show got 400 tall boys cheap .every other one broke when inserting cards ..terribly made plastic oh well its insane
Old 05-14-2021, 08:17 AM
Eric Perry

In addition to shortages, I have noticed another significant issue - quality control.

I have purchased toploaders from three different sources during the pandemic:
  • a local card shop (game store, really)
  • a few packs from one dealer on eBay
  • a case from a different dealer on eBay

In each case, there were defective toploaders. Not all of them; however, roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of the individual toploaders were significantly curled once I opened the pack.

These were all Ultra-Pro 3x4 regular toploaders, the same ones I have been buying for decades. I refuse to put cards in them, for fear of causing damage.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-14-2021, 08:35 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
In addition to shortages, I have noticed another significant issue - quality control.

I have purchased toploaders from three different sources during the pandemic:
  • a local card shop (game store, really)
  • a few packs from one dealer on eBay
  • a case from a different dealer on eBay

In each case, there were defective toploaders. Not all of them; however, roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of the individual toploaders were significantly curled once I opened the pack.

These were all Ultra-Pro 3x4 regular toploaders, the same ones I have been buying for decades. I refuse to put cards in them, for fear of causing damage.
I've had my share of the curled and broken top loaders. Always tossed them since they were so cheap back then. I think they just had them stored for a long time at the bottom of many other heavy cases.
Now, they are scraping the bottom of the barrel and selling off whatever they have left.

Buythatcard

Old 05-14-2021, 08:37 AM
Andrew

Quote:

Total craziness.
How long until people start getting top loaders slabbed?
Old 05-14-2021, 08:49 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
How long until people start getting top loaders slabbed?

Buythatcard

Old 05-14-2021, 08:56 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

In 3 weeks, I'm setting up at my first major show (I've set up at smaller shows in the past). I have hundreds of cards (maybe even 1000 or more) that I wanted to put into CardSaver2's and put in my dollar boxes. With the shortage and high the cost (that's if I can find them), I can't do that. I can still purchase 100 CS2 for $20 - at least that was the price at my LCS a couple of weeks ago - the price may have gone up (or they may be sold out). But even at that price, that's $.20 a card. I can't make any money on my dollar boxes if it costs me $.20 just for the plastic. So, I've put everything that I would normally put in CS2 into penny sleeves and just doing it that way. If a customer buys a small stack of cards from my dollar boxes, I'll just put them all in a team bag and add some kind of stiffener if needed (maybe junk commons) so the cards are protected. I still have some CS1 and CS2, but I'm saving those for the cards that will go into my display case.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:00 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I think that we will start seeing more and more cards shipped in card savers instead of top loaders.

Still searching for a way to protect the card when shipping since the card saver bends a little easier than a top loader.

As I mentioned in my original post, cardboard might be the way to go but don't want to spend too much time cutting pieces to fit the bubble envelope.

Looking to purchase pre cut pieces of cardboard that will not add too much of an expense to my already high shipping expenses.

Buythatcard

Old 05-14-2021, 09:12 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Right after I posted my last message, I came across something called chipboards. It looks like the perfect solution to protecting cards during shipping.

They do come in different thickness sizes.

Has anyone ever used chipboards? If so, what size thickness would you recommend?

Buythatcard

Old 05-14-2021, 09:18 AM

Card Savers are also very expensive. I'm selling clean batches of 800 to 1,000 gently used savers in the $200-300 range and they are flying.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:33 AM
Scott Russell

yeah but you can, with some digging, find cases. I just bought a case (1000) for $360
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-14-2021, 09:38 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
yeah but you can, with some digging, find cases. I just bought a case (1000) for $360
What size?

I always buy cases. I bought a case of 1000 3/4 top loaders about a year ago for $59.00.

500 4x6 cost only $103

Try getting those prices today.

Buythatcard

Old 05-14-2021, 09:50 AM
Scott Russell

Card Saver I

I have never cared for top loaders.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-14-2021, 11:13 AM
Ryan Phi

Quote:

Total craziness.
Seems for most top loaders, BCW has put in a date of April 2022 to be back in stock. It may be just a placeholder date since its so far out or maybe thats when they expect to be back in stock.

Last edited by philo98; 05-14-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:55 AM

Default Holders

Bought 200 of these on Ebay for $36. Arrived a couple weeks ago and they are decent. They seem to have plenty of stock. Not Cardsaver brand but almost the same. Not my auction, just thought I'd let you know they are an alternative to Cardsavers.
-Claude

link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/27471427854...QAAOSw6RdgWsMe

Last edited by 1966CUDA; 05-14-2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:49 PM
Randy

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...hipping+decoys

If anyone needs any decoys for shipping / drawing / in person autographs, I have what you are looking for! I use the same material as Panini / Topps / Upper Deck uses.

Who has time to cut up USPS boxes? I know I sure don't!

These are premium, high quality, bright solid white, blank, normal card size (2.5" x 3.5") decoys.

I have 2 sizes available, 50 pt (1.5 millimeters thick) & 100 pt (3 millimeters thick).

The 100 pt are the same thickness as what is used in packs of cards.

Pricing for 50 pt, which includes shipping:
75 Decoys - $17
175 Decoys - $35
400 Decoys - $70
800 Decoys - $125
1200 Decoys - $165

Pricing for 100 pt, which includes shipping:
38 Decoys - $14
90 Decoys - $30
225 Decoys - $55
400 Decoys - $85
600 Decoys - $120

I am not the person selling these

Last edited by RL; 05-14-2021 at 12:59 PM. Reason: edit
Old 05-14-2021, 02:10 PM
Steve Birmingham

I have a paper cutter, and when I was active on ebay I would also get lots of packages coming in.

Cutting some 3x4 pieces took very little time, I'd cut maybe 50-100 of them or however many I had a few scraps of cardboard for.

Did the same with postcard size pieces, and a few others like paperback books if I had a chunk that would fit.

I've received cards where the shipper used a team bag, and a stack of 80's-90's commons as the stiffener. A nice little bonus and a good way for then to get rid of junkwax commons.

The best was a batch of British cards, maybe a thousand or so. The box was a large flat rate box.
The packing material? maybe a thousand 1991 Score baseball and some other cards, Plus a 91 score set in a binder...
Old 05-14-2021, 06:55 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Food for thought...

For you guys with the 'dollar boxes' (which I frickin' love digging through BTW), have you thought of just addressing the problem head on? For instance, since everyone knows that all card prices have been skyrocketing, could you just up the prices of your discount boxes? If it's usually $1 a card, just make it $1.50? Would that tick off your usual customers, most if not all of whom are aware of what's going on with the toploader prices? Just post a sign explaining the situation. Or how about a toploader exchange thing. Post a sign stating that your prices have taken into account the drastic rise in toploader prices, so a buyer is welcome to buy the card WITHOUT the toploader for a twenty cent (or whatever) reduction? Or, since many of us bring all sorts of our own holders to shows (to house the cards we buy), you can take the twenty cents off of the price if the buyer hands you one of their own toploaders as a replacement?

Just some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:59 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

I can deal with

Israel and Hamas
Iran
Russia
China
and
North Korea.
I'd even watch Lady Gaga strip

but for heaven sakes do not mess with my Top Loaders

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:11 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I can deal with

Israel and Hamas
Iran
Russia
China
and
North Korea.
I'd even watch Lady Gaga strip
What about Turkey?
Old 05-14-2021, 07:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

I would draw the line at Gaga.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:39 PM
Banned

“crisis”

lol
Old 05-14-2021, 08:30 PM

Default Top loaders

Now I can’t afford the top loaders or the cards to go in them. Might have to start a new thread “Favorite top loaders” Just pictures of your empty loaders!
Brett
Old 05-14-2021, 08:36 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

[QUOTE=Buythatcard;2103015]Right after I posted my last message, I came across something called chipboards. It looks like the perfect solution to protecting cards during shipping.

They do come in different thickness sizes.

Has anyone ever used chipboards? If so, what size thickness would you recommend?[/QUOTE]

Try Uline for pre-cut card board. They also have bubble mailers boxes and everything else you can think of for shipping... except top loaders...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:48 AM
Bob Davies

My LCS just got some in but they are limiting purchases to two packages per customer.

Who knew Top Loaders would be 2021's version of Toilet Paper in 2020?

Last edited by Stampsfan; 05-15-2021 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:39 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

As Leon once said, all posts should have a card. So, since we are talking about toploaders.

Will take best offer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0515301.jpg (52.7 KB, 206 views)

Buythatcard

Old 05-15-2021, 06:52 AM
P@trick R.omolo

It wasn't that long ago that some sellers used to put a few top loaders
on each side of a card(s) for added protection.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:31 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

For shipping, I've gone the way of the chipboard with penny sleeve taped to it. Way stronger than a top loader. One of these in a PWE with packing tape to protect the envelope from the board corners and two stamps....all in, I can ship a protected card for about $1.30. Never had an issue. Cut your own, or I'm happy to sell you some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-3281.jpg (71.0 KB, 163 views)
Old 05-15-2021, 12:44 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
If you have tried to buy some top loaders, you will notice that many of the distributors are out of stock. Due to the Covid, they are not receiving their shipments and some won't be getting anything until 2022.

I have been selling on eBay for over 18 years and have shipped every card regardless of its cost in a top loader. I am running very low on my top loaders. I spent several hours last night trying to buy top loaders of different sizes. I always buy bulk so that I can get the best deal.

The distributors where I usually get my top loaders from were out of stock as I mentioned earlier. But what really pissed me off are all of the hoarders out there. I saw prices that were almost 10 times more than I usually paid.

I cannot ship my raw cards out in just a bubble envelope without protection. So, I bit the bullet and bought top loaders from some of the hoarders. Ended up paying about 5 times more than I usually pay. I did not buy as many as I usually do because these expenses will cut into the little profits that I have left after eBay takes their share.

While this crisis continues, I am looking for other ways to protect the cards that I ship. In addition to the top loaders, I bought some card Savers which are semi rigid, to see if they can offer some protection. I think that when I run out of top loaders again, shipping the card in a card saver along with wrapping some cardboard around it might be a good idea.

The problem with cardboard is that I don't want to spend my whole night cutting cardboard up into smaller pieces. Does anyone know where I can purchase pre cut card board pieces or does anyone have a better way to ship out the card once top loaders are nowhere to be found.
PM your mailing address to me and I'll send you a shoebox full - you can pay whatever you want once they arrive.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-15-2021, 06:49 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
As Leon once said, all posts should have a card. So, since we are talking about toploaders.

Will take best offer.
Does it come with a certificate of authenticity?