NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2011, 11:46 AM

Default 12 inch Babe Ruth die cut counter sign

I believe I've found one at my local antique store but I have no clue if it's real or fake. I assume it's fake just based on the odds but who knows. To give a little back story, my dad and I found it in an old picture frame sitting in one of the back rooms of one of our local antique stores. I know there are tons of Fro-joy card reproductions but I haven't seen much on counter sign reproductions.

It's 12 inches, apears to be old, has a spot on the back where a stand clearly was, is made out of pretty solid cardboard material and has a hole in the top of it as if someone had it hanging at one time. Here are some pics.

edit: sorry I'm new here and trying to figure out how to post pics.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=1&theater

Last edited by combatsports4life; 05-23-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Trying to figure out pictures
Old 05-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 3 pics

I gave my opinion in an email but a few more would help.....there are a few other pics too but I think these will do it.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruthsign1.jpg (76.4 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg ruthsign2.jpg (78.7 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg ruthsign3.jpg (56.5 KB, 346 views)
Old 05-23-2011, 12:26 PM

If nothing else I learned a lot through this process, thanks for the help.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Scott

Looks fake and artificially aged.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:18 PM
FredYoung

Graphics are terrible!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:01 PM
John Hanssen

A little about printing/finishing - The die cut for an item like this would be a pretty hard thing to get right and a lot more work/expense, than people that like to re-print things want to go through. If it were re-printed it would be done on a somewhat larger scale print run to off set the finishing cost.

Black light and a loop should give you some sence of age.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Looks fake and artificially aged.
Well it's definitley old, it's got that weird musty smell if you know what I mean. I should take better pictures too because the graphics really aren't that bad, well at least I didn't think so lol.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
A little about printing/finishing - The die cut for an item like this would be a pretty hard thing to get right and a lot more work/expense, than people that like to re-print things want to go through. If it were re-printed it would be done on a somewhat larger scale print run to off set the finishing cost.

Black light and a loop should give you some sence of age.
I will definitley have to try the black light. The print looks the same size to me as the ones sold at auction. I need to get a magnifying glass too. You can tell I don't have the same eye a lot of you do.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default we've seen 100's

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatsports4life View Post
I will definitley have to try the black light. The print looks the same size to me as the ones sold at auction. I need to get a magnifying glass too. You can tell I don't have the same eye a lot of you do.
We've seen 100s of similar type signs (not exact but similar).....this one you have isn't very close to looking real. There are better reproductions of signs that are similar. If you ever see a real one you will instantly see the difference.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:46 AM
Steve Birmingham

And if there's anything you want to have that damp musty smell just send it to me and I'll put it in my cellar or carriage house for a couple months

Steve B