NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-19-2021, 09:18 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Default eBay Money Back Guarantee Question

There is a card that I'm pretty sure is authentic on eBay, but that I can't be 100% certain of until I have it in hand. The seller has a no refund policy, but has advertised it as authentic.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever relied on the eBay Money Back Guarantee in that case to receive a refund should the card not be authentic upon receipt? If so, what kind of proof does eBay require? Do I need to get it graded, or would my own assessment qualify?

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2021, 09:36 AM

If you say "Item not as described" you will win as a buyer 99.99999% of the time.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:45 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Sellers return policy is irrelevant, if the card is different from the description, file a claim and you'll win.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:03 PM

Paypal gives you 6 months, just won a dispute against a seller at the almost 6 month point for selling me a fake Satchel Paige autograph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2021, 01:02 PM
Andrew

I’ve opened two disputes, one for a fake and the other for a trimmed card, and gotten refunds both times.

Question for eBay sellers: Do you know what the mechanics of the refunds are? Does eBay hold your funds for a certain period before you’re cleared to withdraw them in case a customer disputes? Or does eBay have a way of clawing back funds that you’ve already withdrawn?

Or is it that the seller keeps the money and eBay refunds out of its pocket? That would be way less satisfying.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:24 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

eBay does hold your funds for a couple of days before paying, but not for very long. In case of a dispute, I'm pretty sure that eBay now just debits the bank account that is linked to your eBay seller account to get the refund due if the refund hasn't already been issued by the due date.

Last edited by robw1959; 05-19-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:59 PM
Rob

There's really no such thing as "No returns" on ebay. Just say it's not as described and ebay will side with you.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:08 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
There's really no such thing as "No returns" on ebay. Just say it's not as described and ebay will side with you.
That's generally true. However, there are exceptions.

For example, let's say you sold a sealed box of cards. Buyer opens all the packs and tries to return the contents.

So long as you handle things with eBay professionally, you wouldn't be forced to take the return or refund the money.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-19-2021, 03:28 PM
Randy

sellers can refuse returns, however, he can't refuse a refund

plus, seller gets to pay for the return shipping if he / she wants their item back
Old 05-19-2021, 07:23 PM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-20-2021, 07:25 AM
J0hn Collin$

Agreed. Ebay is a very buyer friendly community. I’ve even used the “money back guarantee” to get reimbursed for a card that the post office showed delivered when they actually didn’t and it was either lost or stolen. I would imagine you can’t make claims like that all the time, but it’s nice to know that the guarantee is really meant to include things that are outside of your control as a buyer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 05-20-2021 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:52 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Agreed. Ebay is a very buyer friendly community. I’ve even used the “money back guarantee” to get reimbursed for a card that the post office showed delivered when they actually didn’t and it was either lost or stolen. I would imagine you can’t make claims like that all the time, but it’s nice to know that the guarantee is really meant to include things that are outside of your control as a buyer.

It's nice if you're only a buyer. But if you're a seller it's a perfect set up for the scammers.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:12 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
It's nice if you're only a buyer. But if you're a seller it's a perfect set up for the scammers.
In those situations, more than likely Ebay covered the loss and the seller wasn't out any money, unless the seller has a history.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:52 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
In those situations, more than likely Ebay covered the loss and the seller wasn't out any money, unless the seller has a history.
Not even sure what this means. When does ebay cover the cost?
Old 05-20-2021, 11:15 AM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Not always great for a buyer. Bought a lot of 1963 Topps BB Cards, say $100 + shipping. Description said a few cards have writing. None in picture did. got the lot and out of 100 or so cards, 75-80 had a big "X" over the players picture. Returned not as described. Got a refund but was out shipping (both ways I think). Left a negative (only time I ever did so) saying "Cards were not as described". Negative disappeared. I guess the thing to do is leave a positive with a comment. Must be why everyone in Ebasy has at least 99.99% postitives.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:22 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:

Right. I quit selling on eBay a few years ago. There are simpler options now than in the late 90’s when I first joined eBay. And they decided a long time back that they were going to to the route of supporting the buyer in most cases over the seller. It’s pretty obvious today.

Last edited by jchcollins; 05-20-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:26 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Not even sure what this means. When does ebay cover the cost?
In an instance where the seller offers reasonable proof they delivered on their obligations. For example:

I've been a seller on eBay for years. No history of scamming people. I photograph the sold item, with shipping label, before boxing it up.

Buyer contacts eBay, claims they received an empty box, accuses me of fraud, demands their money back, etc.

So long as I handle things with eBay professionally (cannot stress this enough) and provide documentation, I will not be on the hook for a refund. They'll also remove negative feedback if the buyer goes down this road.

Be firm but polite. Don't panic, don't accuse, don't go beyond factual information when explaining your side. It might take a little patience. However, eBay is aware that there are scammers out there. Despite the grumbling and "I'm done with eBay" rants we've all heard, they're really not bad to work with.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 05-20-2021, 02:11 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
In an instance where the seller offers reasonable proof they delivered on their obligations. For example:

I've been a seller on eBay for years. No history of scamming people. I photograph the sold item, with shipping label, before boxing it up.

Buyer contacts eBay, claims they received an empty box, accuses me of fraud, demands their money back, etc.

So long as I handle things with eBay professionally (cannot stress this enough) and provide documentation, I will not be on the hook for a refund. They'll also remove negative feedback if the buyer goes down this road.

Be firm but polite. Don't panic, don't accuse, don't go beyond factual information when explaining your side. It might take a little patience. However, eBay is aware that there are scammers out there. Despite the grumbling and "I'm done with eBay" rants we've all heard, they're really not bad to work with.
Are you speaking hypothetically or from experience? Seems odd to me a photograph would swing the pendulum in the seller's favor. How does a picture of the sold item prove it was in the box when you mailed it?
Old 05-20-2021, 02:28 PM
Randy

ebay will not even look at pics.

many have tried, many have failed.

ebay will say that is not proof of what was sent
Old 05-20-2021, 03:36 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Are you speaking hypothetically or from experience? Seems odd to me a photograph would swing the pendulum in the seller's favor. How does a picture of the sold item prove it was in the box when you mailed it?
This particular case is hypothetical.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 05-20-2021, 03:38 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL View Post
ebay will not even look at pics.

many have tried, many have failed.

ebay will say that is not proof of what was sent
I have uploaded pictures during chats with eBay. They may have added that feature since the last time you interacted with them. I'm not quite sure when the capacity was enabled.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 05-20-2021, 03:47 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:

...How does a picture of the sold item prove it was in the box when you mailed it?
I suppose it doesn't. It is one part of a larger collection of information, though.
  • I had the item and shipping material (including label) on an otherwise empty desk
  • I then placed the item in the box (or envelope, whatever package is appropriate for the item)
  • I sealed the package and it remained sealed up to the point when I handed it to the USPS employee

So, if I know for certain that USPS received the item in a properly sealed box, it makes everything else easier to deal with.

If I shipped dozens of items per day, and it could have gotten mixed up somehow, that would be a different story.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra