NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-20-2012, 07:55 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

It's funny you mention this as I've had similar feelings lately. Most refreshed threads are negative in nature. I sorted the threads by views and the top 5 are all about counterfeits and the like. Maybe that can be translated to these are the type of discussions people like on this board? Don't know but I find it boring and don't participate.

I like the 'show off' threads of people's collections or discussions around their collecting focus. I also enjoy reading stories of years past. Not enough of those in my opinion.

Last edited by bender07; 08-20-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:15 AM
D@n M**re
Daniel Mo.ore

Default Agree!

Even though I collect autographs, I don't even bother participating in any discussions under the autograph forum because of the reasons listed previously...and there are several topics I would love to participate and learn about.

I'm sure several collector's feel this way, and that's a real shame! This should be a forum to learn, enjoy and showcase prized collections freely without insults and demeaning behaviour.

Maybe the guilty parties can create their own forum so that they can sling their biased opinions and insults at each other...and then everyone else can get back to enjoying this forum in peace!

Last edited by Julian Wells; 08-20-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Barry Sloate

The autograph people were already booted out of the memorabilia section for just that reason. Since they have their own forum I suppose they can do whatever they want. But no question there is a ton of arguing going on over here. They claim they love the autograph hobby, but you would never know it reading their posts.

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-20-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
The autograph people were already booted out of the memorabilia section for just that reason. Since they have their own forum I suppose they can do whatever they want. But no question there is a ton of arguing going on over here. They claim they love the autograph hobby, but you would never know it reading their posts.
Do I hear a motion to create a sub-sub autograph forum?

In all seriousness, this forum was actually created because many of the memorabilia guys were getting inundated with the negative autograph threads. I don't know what the solution is but there does seem to be more angst and unhappiness in this forum than elsewhere on the board. This is also the forum where I read the least threads, partly due to my interests and partly due to my general dislike of negativity. And as Adam said, I am in no way saying bad things shouldn't be pointed out but it seems they should be tempered with equal amounts (or more) of "happy" threads. Just my take......as I continue the overall board mantra of "I don't tell people what to say or not to say." Happy collecting!!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:27 AM
J Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
...there does seem to be more angst and unhappiness in this forum than elsewhere on the board...
Leon -

Could be the psychological nature of we autograph collectors. We are certainly a different breed of collector, In general:

- We get rejected a lot (and not just by players);

- We are sometimes victims of fraud (fakes, forgeries, clubhouse sigs);

- Card collectors don't respect us as "real" collectors (we deface cards);

- Professional sports has caught on to our cash cow and now want to charge us an arm and a leg to get an autograph in person or mail (hello, Steiner?).

- Third party authenticators (the "good" ones) have created an environment where we can't sell our collectibles for proper value without "their" approval (and a fat fee for merely an opinion!)

- Some of the things on our want lists simply do not exist.

Still, I have more angst and unhappiness from life itself. My collection has been fun and a great source of enjoyment over the years.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
Leon -

Could be the psychological nature of we autograph collectors. We are certainly a different breed of collector, In general:

- We get rejected a lot (and not just by players);

- We are sometimes victims of fraud (fakes, forgeries, clubhouse sigs);

- Card collectors don't respect us as "real" collectors (we deface cards);

- Professional sports has caught on to our cash cow and now want to charge us an arm and a leg to get an autograph in person or mail (hello, Steiner?).

- Third party authenticators (the "good" ones) have created an environment where we can't sell our collectibles for proper value without "their" approval (and a fat fee for merely an opinion!)

- Some of the things on our want lists simply do not exist.

Still, I have more angst and unhappiness from life itself. My collection has been fun and a great source of enjoyment over the years.
Plus, you are often worried that your balls aren't even real
Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Do I hear a motion to create a sub-sub autograph forum?

In all seriousness, this forum was actually created because many of the memorabilia guys were getting inundated with the negative autograph threads. I don't know what the solution is but there does seem to be more angst and unhappiness in this forum than elsewhere on the board. This is also the forum where I read the least threads, partly due to my interests and partly due to my general dislike of negativity. And as Adam said, I am in no way saying bad things shouldn't be pointed out but it seems they should be tempered with equal amounts (or more) of "happy" threads. Just my take......as I continue the overall board mantra of "I don't tell people what to say or not to say." Happy collecting!!
That I did not know; makes sense, though. I have noticed that the memorabilia forum is 'funner' lately.

Here's a novel idea: let's just ignore the bummer threads and bummer posts--simply not respond. Let them wither away. Eventually the OPs will get tired of talking to themselves and stop.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-20-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 PM

I agree with the sentiments of this thread. It's really annoying when a select few posters decide they're going to start an argument. I don't think people are supposed to sling personal insults on this board. Yet in every other thread the same people are relentlessly insulting each other. Maybe we could get those posters off the autograph forum?
Old 08-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Bill Panagopulos

Having just come back to this forum after an absence of a couple years, it seems everyone forgot the longest thread in history - the famous Morales-Frangipani epic of, I believe, 2010 or so. It helped fuel an FBI investigation that reaped great benefits and vindicated a fine dealer who had become a crook's victim.

Yes, there is an awful lot of mud-slinging here with people who have the same aim in the hobby attacking each other because they've aligned themselves with different "good guys". Who wins? Nobody....but the forgers.

Sure, the topic of frauds and forgers could be dropped entirely and the forum could become just "sweetness and light" - until the next giant fraud is exposed and everyone kicks themselves.

Maybe just a little more self-control and a little less needling is all that's really needed.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I think it worked - the regular memorabilia forum has come back to life and is now much more interesting to visit.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
It's funny you mention this as I've had similar feelings lately. Most refreshed threads are negative in nature. I sorted the threads by views and the top 5 are all about counterfeits and the like. Maybe that can be translated to these are the type of discussions people like on this board? Don't know but I find it boring and don't participate.

I like the 'show off' threads of people's collections or discussions around their collecting focus. I also enjoy reading stories of years past. Not enough of those in my opinion.
I agree with Mark whole heartedly on this one!