NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-25-2021, 11:22 PM

Default Mantle Auction

https://merchantmanauctions.hibid.co...mantle-rookie/

Is this Mantle real? Find it odd they don’t mention but when I messaged the auction house they said everything is authentic.

Thanks,
Old 01-26-2021, 01:42 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

It's 100% fake. For one, the back is bright white. This isn't even a close fake that needs to be examined any further than that. Seller should be ashamed.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:14 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Images are way too small for me to make a determination in the screwdown with heavy light reflecting off it, but buyer beware:
Quote:
Auction Terms & Conditions * All items sold "AS IS, WHERE IS" with all faults.
* All descriptions believed accurate but not waranteed..
*Transactions over $1,000 a wire transfer, money order or check may be required.
I like the kluge of "warranted" and "guaranteed." ;-) Maybe you could get a refund because they can't spell. Really hard to return and item if the seller requires a wire transfer or check, and you've agreed to the item "As is, where is with all faults."
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:31 AM
D@le Irv*n

And another newbie looking for information on a very expensive card.

Never makes sense to me, other than a possible scammer looking to see if his card is good enough to fool the experts.

Hate to say that is the case here as I, obviously, don't know the OP, but 99% of the time when these new members get the info they are seeking, they never come back.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:55 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

I'm always suspect of auction houses and sellers of high end cards who don't take the time to buy a $225 scanner so they can present proper images or spend a few hundred to get a card like that graded and have it back in a fortnight.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-26-2021, 07:24 AM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Quite an auction. Two ‘52 Mantles, Jordan rookie, a couple of Ruth’s, T206s. Something for all collectors.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
And another newbie looking for information on a very expensive card.

Never makes sense to me, other than a possible scammer looking to see if his card is good enough to fool the experts.

Hate to say that is the case here as I, obviously, don't know the OP, but 99% of the time when these new members get the info they are seeking, they never come back.
I am definitely a newbie and am looking actually to buy a Babe Ruth 1933 Goudey as well and appreciate the forum and everyone’s knowledge. I don’t claim to know much but I know if I am spending 20-30k asking some questions on this forum is a good thing to do. I am not selling this card and or the people selling so that’s why I was asking. I have no shame saying I am new to collecting baseball cards (I did when I was a kid). I collect other items just not cards.

Thanks,
Old 01-26-2021, 06:10 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Welcome to the board; I didn't get a negative impression from your post, but there are scammers that will post on message boards to get better at making counterfeits. That's what some of the other regulars were worried about.

Please continue to ask questions, and do research. The search engine on this message board sucks, so most people will go to google and search "site:net54baseball.com" and then type in what they're looking for.

Looks like the auctionhouse is in Davie, FL. I live in Florida and if they're selling counterfeits as real, I can have the FDLE look into it. I did that a year ago with one of the trimmers that lived here; they forwarded their information to the FBI, but at least they were willing to listen. It's possible there are local members on this board (I know one who lives in the Boca Raton area) who may be able to go and take a look at the cards in person.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:16 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by patone1313 View Post
I am definitely a newbie and am looking actually to buy a Babe Ruth 1933 Goudey as well and appreciate the forum and everyone’s knowledge. I don’t claim to know much but I know if I am spending 20-30k asking some questions on this forum is a good thing to do. I am not selling this card and or the people selling so that’s why I was asking. I have no shame saying I am new to collecting baseball cards (I did when I was a kid). I collect other items just not cards.

Thanks,
No offensive, Patone, but I hope you can understand what I am saying?
I've seen it time and time again where people, new members, come on board looking for advice to see if the cards they post are real or fakes, and if fake, why?

Numerous times, because most people are nice and want to help, inadvertently, give these new members (scammers/card doctors) all the info they need for them to further improve the looks of their cards so they can make them more real like.
This is one, but again, I don't know if that's the OP's intent, but it just screams fishy to me. Look at all the info, assuming he is a scammer/card doctor, that he has received in just a few short posts.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1436503

Again, no offense.

Good luck with your quest.

Last edited by irv; 01-26-2021 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:25 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I'm not a Mantle auto expert, but the guys in the autograph board are. They could give you advice on those. My first guess is that they are all forged "banana M's."

Here are some of the others:
Too grainy of an image to tell for sure, but kind of looks like distressed crazing

Centered, rounded corners, and over bright?

Centered, rounded corners, and WST/bleedthrough doesn't look like it's in the right place on back

Jordan: Yellow ribbon looks same color. No back picture to see if other signs of fakes present

And would someone really consign Goudey Ruths and a T206 Eddie Plank (isnt a Piedmont 350 back impossible?) to this auction house? They can't even spell basic words correctly. Maybe I should email my contact at FDLE in consumer fraud.

The Goudey Ruths are all counterfeit, even from these awful scans. I would not bid on anything in this auction, if I was you.

Last edited by swarmee; 01-26-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:21 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Welcome to the board; I didn't get a negative impression from your post, but there are scammers that will post on message boards to get better at making counterfeits. That's what some of the other regulars were worried about.

Please continue to ask questions, and do research. The search engine on this message board sucks, so most people will go to google and search "site:net54baseball.com" and then type in what they're looking for.

Looks like the auctionhouse is in Davie, FL. I live in Florida and if they're selling counterfeits as real, I can have the FDLE look into it. I did that a year ago with one of the trimmers that lived here; they forwarded their information to the FBI, but at least they were willing to listen. It's possible there are local members on this board (I know one who lives in the Boca Raton area) who may be able to go and take a look at the cards in person.
I mapped the address, was curious as I'm a PBC native. While they list their address as Suite 317, it is actually Apt. 317! So probably not a good idea for someone to head over there. You can't make this stuff up
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 01-26-2021, 09:52 PM
Steve

Default Counterfeiters among us...

One can easily see both sides of the "newbie seeking info" issue on this board. It's kind of analogous to someone walking into a bank and saying, "I'm new to money - can someone explain if this banknote is genuine or not?" One teller will take a look at it and express an opinion, while another teller will duck under the counter and press the silent alarm. It's just human nature and nothing to get ruffled about.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
No offensive, Patone, but I hope you can understand what I am saying?
I've seen it time and time again where people, new members, come on board looking for advice to see if the cards they post are real or fakes, and if fake, why?

Numerous times, because most people are nice and want to help, inadvertently, give these new members (scammers/card doctors) all the info they need for them to further improve the looks of their cards so they can make them more real like.
This is one, but again, I don't know if that's the OP's intent, but it just screams fishy to me. Look at all the info, assuming he is a scammer/card doctor, that he has received in just a few short posts.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1436503

Again, no offense.

Good luck with your quest.
Thanks. I didn’t take any offense to it. I collect other items outside cards and see scammers all the time too. I just find it odd an auction house is selling a fake but I agree it screamed fake so I wanted to get everyone’s opinions here. Thanks to everyone for the responses.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I'm not a Mantle auto expert, but the guys in the autograph board are. They could give you advice on those. My first guess is that they are all forged "banana M's."

Here are some of the others:
Too grainy of an image to tell for sure, but kind of looks like distressed crazing

Centered, rounded corners, and over bright?

Centered, rounded corners, and WST/bleedthrough doesn't look like it's in the right place on back

Jordan: Yellow ribbon looks same color. No back picture to see if other signs of fakes present

And would someone really consign Goudey Ruths and a T206 Eddie Plank (isnt a Piedmont 350 back impossible?) to this auction house? They can't even spell basic words correctly. Maybe I should email my contact at FDLE in consumer fraud.

The Goudey Ruths are all counterfeit, even from these awful scans. I would not bid on anything in this auction, if I was you.
Thanks so much for this info. This is exactly what I was curious about. I’ll continue my search. Heritage looks like they have some good auctions coming up. Thanks again!
Old 01-26-2021, 10:43 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:

Well they are clearly selling counterfeits so go for it!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-27-2021, 04:53 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
https://merchantmanauctions.hibid.co...mantle-rookie/

Is this Mantle real? Find it odd they don’t mention but when I messaged the auction house they said everything is authentic.

Thanks,
Today's counterfeits are so good, buying an extremely expensive card like that ungraded is just asking for trouble.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:53 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Thanks. I didn’t take any offense to it. I collect other items outside cards and see scammers all the time too. I just find it odd an auction house is selling a fake but I agree it screamed fake so I wanted to get everyone’s opinions here. Thanks to everyone for the responses.
That's not a legitimate auction house. It sounds like a couple of guys created a website to sell a bunch of fake cards out of their apartment. The sad part is they'll probably make 1000s of dollars off this auction from people who don't know any better. Hopefully this gets shut down.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 01-27-2021 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:42 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
That's not a legitimate auction house. It sounds like a couple of guys created a website to sell a bunch of fake cards out of their apartment. The sad part is they'll probably make 1000s of dollars off this auction from people who don't know any better. Hopefully this gets shut down.
The platform is one I see quite often from some small fly by night operations like flea markets, etc. Definitely not an auction house platform.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:41 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:

Thanks,
Might I respectfully recommend that you start off with something a little less ambitious? Or if not, always, always buy a graded card in a third party slab (PSA, SGC, BVG). There are no shortcuts or bargains out there, just an endless supply of crooks trolling for people with money and no expertise. Anyone selling a raw marquee card that could be sold for a small fortune slabbed is 99.99999% certainly pulling a scam.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-28-2021 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Might I respectfully recommend that you start off with something a little less ambitious? Or if not, always, always buy a graded card in a third party slab (PSA, SGC, BVG). There are no shortcuts or bargains out there, just an endless supply of crooks trolling for people with money and no expertise. Anyone selling a raw marquee card that could be sold for a small fortune slabbed is 99.99999% certainly pulling a scam.
Thanks. I appreciate the reply. I am planning on going after a PSA 3-4 graded Ruth Goudey but having a hard time finding one. I assumed this was too good to be true but wanted to ask. What I can’t believe is how many of the Ruth Goudeys are graded much higher from the non hologram PSA days or whatever. I have read through this forum and I am going to stick with the buying a PSA graded card but not buy it based on grade but looks as well.

Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2021, 05:21 PM
Robert Williams

All fakes. The seller should be ashamed. He probably knows they are fakes.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:28 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Lot 100-126: Questionable autographed photos
Lot 195-251: Questionable autographed photos
Lot 322: 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan $5,100
Lot 323: 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle $4,900
Lot 324: 1933 Goudey Sport Kings Jim Thorpe $350
Lot 325: 1948 Leaf Joe DiMaggio $500
Lot 326: 1920 Ty Cobb Strip Card $275
Lot 328-377: Questionable Autographed photos
Lot 428: 1920s Babe Ruth Strip Card $525
Lot 429: 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth yellow $2,200
Lot 430: 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth batting $4,200
Lot 431: 1932 US Caramel Babe Ruth $5,000
Lot 432: 1909 T206 "Piedmont 350" Eddie Plank $5,400
Lot 433: 1911 M116 Walter Johnson $550
Lot 434: 1948 Leaf Jackie Robinson $6,100
Lot 435: 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle $11,600
Lot 436: 1909 T206 Ty Cobb Green Portrait $10,100
Lot 437: 1910 T210 Shoeless Joe Jackson $2,300

Probable total of counterfeit card sale prices: $59,100 plus whatever counterfeit photo autographs there were.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:12 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Reminds me of Roaches', er, Coaches' Corner, the infamous AH that had scads of Christy Mathewson and Joe Jackson signed items every week for only a few bucks.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-24-2021, 11:18 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Really nice never seen before Plank P350!

A T210 Jackson!

Hopefully this can be shut down before it closes.

https://merchantmanauctions.hibid.co...Order=3&ipp=10