NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Default Tampered PSA case or not? Need opinions

This card was recently purchased from a fellow board member. I received it today and have some concerns that the PSA case may have been tampered with. This concern is largely based on discussions I've read, and participated in, on this forum.

There are two distinctive spots of frosting about 1/4 of the way up and about halfway up on the right side of the case. Along with the frosting, there appears to be a bend in the plastic where the frosting appears mid way up the holder. Please give me your opinions good or bad so that the previous owner and I can reach some sort of consensus based on our collective experience. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Musial.jpg (75.7 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg Musial2.jpg (73.5 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg Musial3.jpg (73.5 KB, 266 views)
Old 07-26-2013, 09:30 AM
K1rk K3ith

Default Case

Can you take a picture with the card on a black backing? Basically put a black piece of paper behind the card so all corners are viewable...Frosting can occur based on travel thru postage system.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

I don't see any issues, that 'frosting' happens sometimes when it is sealed because of the materials they use. If it were cracked, it would be pretty white.

Very nice looking card
Old 07-26-2013, 09:38 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

I have seen spotted frosting like that on many cases that were fine. I think it's just a less-than-perfect seal at the factory. Where you need to be concerned is where there continuous frosting over a large part of the slab's border.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
Can you take a picture with the card on a black backing? Basically put a black piece of paper behind the card so all corners are viewable...Frosting can occur based on travel thru postage system.
Here's some additional pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg musial1948.jpg (74.6 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg musial1948-2.jpg (75.8 KB, 253 views)
Old 07-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Thanks for everyone's input so far...I think maybe this board has made me paranoid!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:48 AM
K1rk K3ith

Default Psa

Im still suspect...look at the "pins" two round circles below the flip(red and white label)..Do they look white(should be clear)..if so they have been pryed open ...Also notice the windows...clear spots about 1 inch from bottom of case on either side..They should be clear and no frosting...Ultimate answer is to pull on sides and see if the case pops open...do this by hand and don't use any tools.

Also the left border looks really frosted and cracked.

Last edited by Taxman; 07-26-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: left border
Old 07-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
I don't see any issues, that 'frosting' happens sometimes when it is sealed because of the materials they use. If it were cracked, it would be pretty white.

Very nice looking card
I agree...it would fit perfectly in a PSA 6 holder. The borders are snow white, three sharp corners (one EX+) and the colors are so much better than the raw copy I have. Looks like it was just pulled, which is probably only adding to my paranoia

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 07-26-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Tony Davis

Default Wow

Never mind the frosting - that's a nice looking card!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:50 AM
K1rk K3ith

Default Psa

PSA 5 means wrinkle or hairline crease...a majority of the time.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Im still suspect...look at the "pins" two round circles below the flip(red and white label)..Do they look white(should be clear)..if so they have been pryed open ...Also notice the windows...clear spots about 1 inch from bottom of case on either side..They should be clear and no frosting...Ultimate answer is to pull on sides and see if the case pops open...do this by hand and don't use any tools.

Also the left border looks really frosted and cracked.
Here's a couple more pics. There's actually four "pins" under the label, three are clear...the fourth one has a small crack leading to it (which can be seen in the first pic) on the underside of the case. I tried pulling it apart, but admittedly not very hard as I really don't want to open it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Musialcase.jpg (74.1 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Musialcase2.jpg (69.5 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 07-26-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
PSA 5 means wrinkle or hairline crease...a majority of the time.
I can't find a crease or wrinkle...there is a small print defect (at least I assume it is since it was not given a qualifier)in the right border.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 07-26-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Do you have any pictures of the back of the card?
Old 07-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterose4hof View Post
Do you have any pictures of the back of the card?
Here you go
Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Musialback.jpg (75.9 KB, 162 views)
Old 07-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

If the holder is tampered someone had to have a motive to do it, so what's the motive here where if anything the card seems undergraded and for all the world looks real? I think you are being paranoid myself.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Rob Ruddy

Default Looks fine

That's a nice card! I can't see someone putting that in a PSA 5 holder if they were looking to "improve" its grade unless the card was a fake. I believe it is ok.

Last edited by auggiedoggy; 07-26-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Default Update

I've heard from the seller who confirmed that he personally had the card graded at the National convention last year in Baltimore and has a picture of this and two other cards (shown below) that were graded at the same time that have consecutive serial #'s. He also gave me the submission order # and his PSA account password in case I want to investigate further (which I don't). I think the consensus is that the case looks fine and may have sustained minor damage at time of assembly or over the course of the last year. I want to make it absolutely clear that I never, in any way, was accusing the seller of any wrong doing...I just wanted/needed some confirmation and I appreciate everyone's input.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Cards with sequential #'s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Musialpack.jpg (69.4 KB, 138 views)
Old 07-26-2013, 12:06 PM
K1rk K3ith

Default Psa

Best thing to do is get it reslabbed..cost $5.00 at the National. Wrinkles are hard to see at first glance hold the card at an angle. Good Luck
Old 07-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Best thing to do is get it reslabbed..cost $5.00 at the National. Wrinkles are hard to see at first glance hold the card at an angle. Good Luck

Will they look at it again and consider a bump or is that additional fees? I don't have an account and I'm not going to the National...would someone consider doing this for me? Of course I'd pay for return postage and the PSA service charge. Oh and I see no creases in any light from any angle, front or back, even with magnification (not loop). There's that print thing in the right boarder and a little surface "abrasion" that has impacted the "G" in gum, which can be seen in the picture of the back. Fairly minor but apparently enough to downgrade on that particular day.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 07-26-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Looks tampered with and fake to me. I'll take it off your hands for $200.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
looks tampered with and fake to me. I'll take it off your hands for $200. :d
lol!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
I can't find a crease or wrinkle...there is a small print defect (at least I assume it is since it was not given a qualifier)in the right border.
a 5 should not have a crease ever. i think he means a 4.

kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 07-26-2013 at 03:23 PM.