NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-09-2011, 01:32 AM

Default What if Ty Cobb had a scarce 1909 Tennis Card?

I know this is a bizarre question, so let me explain...

In the pre-war hockey card world, there is an interesting twist because some Hall-of-Fame hockey players also played professional lacrosse. These players have both hockey cards and lacrosse cards that were printed around the same time. The lacrosse cards are typically portraits with the players wearing sweaters from their lacrosse squads. Generally, although the lacrosse cards appear to be much rarer (maybe 5-10x rarer), the hockey card of the Hall-of-Famer usually sells for a higher price.

Interestingly, it is not as though the hockey cards portray the timeless jerseys of the teams we still love...pretty much none of them look anything like curent uniforms anyway.

This got me thinking, if Ty Cobb or Matty or other baseball HOFs appeared on scarce early 1900s portrait tobacco cards as (let's say) tennis players: (a) would you want those cards at all, and (b) if so, would you pay more or less than a T-206 for such a card in equal grade?

Cheers,
Blair
Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 AM
Steven Finley

Ty was never fond of tennis. He called tennis players "silly nannies" and much worse.

Now a Cobb racing card would be interesting. He was fond of cars and would even take laps at Indy. If one did exist I would expect to to be popular, especially with player and oddball collectors.

Last edited by sbfinley; 06-09-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Now a Cobb racing card would be interesting. He was fond of cars and would even take laps at Indy. If one did exist I would expect to to be popular, especially with player and oddball collectors.
Good example!

I know Ty loved golf too, but I think many people like to collect golf cards...I was trying to look for an analogous sport to lacrosse, which in and of itself likely does not have a huge collector following.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 06-09-2011, 02:09 AM
Steven Finley

Now that I've stated that, I am curious as to what the earliest printed racing card is. Being that the Indy 500 hit it's hundredth birthday this year that puts competitive auto racing's beginning popularity at least as early as tobacco and caramel cards. I can think of almost every popular sport being represented in a set anywhere from the 1880's to the 1930's. Was there a driver in the Sports Kings set?

Wow, I'm getting off topic. Happens at three a.m. I guess.

Last edited by sbfinley; 06-09-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:10 AM

To give you an example, from the hockey/lacrosse sets, the key hockey HOF player is Ed "Newsy" Lalonde. For a visual, here are scans of his hockey rookie card (graded by SGC, and sold by Heritage in 2010) and his ungraded C59 Lacrosse portrait card:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c56 Newsy Lalonde.jpg (18.7 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg Newsy Lalonde #100 (ungraded).jpg (65.8 KB, 347 views)

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 06-09-2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:18 AM
Steven Finley

For clarity, which sport was more popular at the time. I.E. Would Lalonde at that time be considered a Hockey player who dabbled in Lacrosse, a Lacrosse player who dabbled in Hockey, or a cross-platform star. Because say if Matty was issued in a Golf set even at the time he would be instantly recognized as a baseball player who dabbled in golf.

Last edited by sbfinley; 06-09-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:42 AM

Quote:
For clarity, which sport was more popular at the time. E.I. Would Lalonde at that time be considered a Hockey player who dabbled in Lacrosse, a Lacrosse player who dabbled in Hockey, or a cross-platform star. Because say if Matty was issued in a Golf set even at the time he would be instantly recognized as a baseball player who dabbled in golf.

Hi Steve,

At the time, Lalonde was considered to be one of the greatest at both sports. He made more money playing Lacrosse, which was definitely very popular at the time (much moreso than today, I believe). He was a legit two sport superstar.

Others featured in both sets, like HOF goalie Paddy Moran, I would say were probably better known as hockey players.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 06-09-2011, 04:56 AM
Tim Sanders

Default I would love to

pick up a Matty Checkers card and of course because he quit for 1909 I would need a Johnny Kling Pool card!
Old 06-09-2011, 05:53 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Wasn't Bicycle racing the most popular sport in 1909? Especially the 6-day races.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:11 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Quote:
Ty was never fond of tennis. He called tennis players "silly nannies" and much worse. .

And if memory serves me correctly, tennis was the sport that his son Ty Jr. took up and played competitively at the collegiate level.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:00 AM

Ty's racing card.

dh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CobbDrivingCropped-1.jpg (27.5 KB, 182 views)
Old 06-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Heavyweight champ Tommy Burns was another lacrosse-playing Canadian. He has two lacrosse cards, both of which are quite expensive in comparison to his boxing cards of the era. I will post one later on. Here is a card of him as a boxer:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Wasn't Bicycle racing the most popular sport in 1909? Especially the 6-day races.
I'd be interested in a non baseball card of a baseball player, but probably wouldn't pay extra unless the card was rare on its own.

Yes, cycling was immensely popular in the US and Europe in the early 1900s. Popular enough for the top racers to be the highest paid in any sport.Top riders of 6 day races made between $500 and $750 a day, and even rookie pros made $100 a day. Plus they could win sprint prizes which could be considearble. I've seen an interview with a rider who said in Chicago Al Capone would sit trackside late at night and put up a sprint prize of $50-100 every few laps for a couple hours! More if he felt the competition was truly exciting. (A lap might take 30 seconds loafing, much less if going for a sprint prize.

More info..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-day_racing

Many of the racers moved from bikes to cars, motorcycles and planes in the 1910 era, including some pretty big names Barney Oldfield, Harley Davison....

I collect cycling cards and memorabilia from pretty much any era. So far it's much more affordable than baseball stuff. A nice card of Major Taylor or Eddie Merckx two of the best ever is usually under a hundred, and typical race used bikes of lesser riders are typically under 2-3000, sometimes much less. (And there are also fakes and misidentified stuff, not a surprise. )

I wonder of any baseball players raced bikes as well?

For a look at at truly spectacular collection check this out. It's only part of the collection that's shown. He also bought an entire archive of cycling press photos from one of the european magazines. He said it was something like four 4x4x4 pallets of photos, around 250,000 or so.
http://www.thehortoncollection.com/

Steve B
Old 06-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Alan U

The Michael Jordan baseball card was pretty popular in it's day.

I suppose a Cobb/Wagner/Mathewson anything card would be popular, but maybe not as desired as the baseball cards.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Heavyweight champ Tommy Burns was another lacrosse-playing Canadian. He has two lacrosse cards, both of which are quite expensive in comparison to his boxing cards of the era.

Very true! Here is his C60 lacrosse card (another PSA misidentification as C59, so I cropped that out...):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tommy Burns #42 (PSA 2).jpg (67.6 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 06-09-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:49 AM

What if Ty Cobb had a scarce 1909 Tennis Card?

I am getting a picture of a Ty Cobb/John McEnroe tennis match. The line judge has just been murdered. Now to play Clue.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Ty Cobb, along with Hugh Jennings and a few other Tiger players have their own Car cards, the 1908 Brush Postcards all picture players (mostly single players) at the wheel of a Brush Automobile.

maybe someone has the Cobb to show, Ive owned a couple over the years but never the Cobb.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Ron Rice

Default Other sports

I've seen postcards of pre-war players hunting, such as Cy Young. There are postcards of guys playing golf, such as Ty Cobb or Babe Ruth. There are ads where players endorse sporting equipment, such as Chief Bender on a skeet-shooting ad or Johnny Evers, or Honus Wagner, endorsing other sports equipment from their own sporting good companies. All of these are considered collectible and have value. A postcard or pre-war collector card of any sport is valuable if it has someone famous on it.

A lot of the great baseball players were great athletes so they tried other sports. Jim Thorpe, for example, was good at almost any sport.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
What if Ty Cobb had a scarce 1909 Tennis Card?

I am getting a picture of a Ty Cobb/John McEnroe tennis match. The line judge has just been murdered. Now to play Clue.
LOL !

Cheers,
Blair
Old 06-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Not a card but here's a photo of New York City boy Lou Gehrig pretending to be a cowboy

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-09-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 PM

If there was a Honus Wagner basketball card I'd buy it.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Very true! Here is his C60 lacrosse card (another PSA misidentification as C59, so I cropped that out...):

great card!! never seen this one before